Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Just out of curiosity, I've been searching for a while now. I know the Bio-energetic breathing can let the lower emotional and higher emotional centres connect, etc... but how does this actually work? How does the Baha portion of the program dig deep? What is it that happens within the mind/body/spirit/higher self etc?

Lilyalic said:
Just out of curiosity, I've been searching for a while now. I know the Bio-energetic breathing can let the lower emotional and higher emotional centres connect, etc... but how does this actually work? How does the Baha portion of the program dig deep? What is it that happens within the mind/body/spirit/higher self etc?

I just can theorize and I could be wrong. I would think if emotions can get blocked in the energy body somehow that with the beatha breathing these blockage or knots can be released and with that the energy flow gets reestablished.

I agree that in terms of what exactly happens on the spiritual level and how exactly the lower and higher emotional centers connect, we can only speculate, since there aren't any studies. However, since deep breathing exercises help detox both physically and emotionally, this comes down to "cleaning the vessel", which in turn means you prepare the ground for your soul to seat and use your vehicle more effectively.

Also, here are a few references to read about deep breathing, which might be of help in terms of the physical/emotional aspect:

Deep Breathing Exercises Can Improve Your Life
Alexander Lowen Foundation: Breathing

Here's another source on the benefits of deep breathing:

Controlled breathing, also known as "paced respiration," "diaphragmatic breathing" and "deep breathing," has long been a feature of Eastern health practices. It became more visible in the West after Dr. Herbert Benson's book, "The Relaxation Response", hit shelves in the mid 1970s. Whatever you choose to call controlled breathing, the dynamic at work is full oxygen exchange: more oxygen enters the body and more carbon dioxide exits.

The basic mechanics of controlled breathing differ a bit depending on who is describing them, but they usually include three parts: (1) inhaling deeply through the nose for a count of five or so, making sure that the abdomen expands, (2) holding the breath for a moment, and (3) exhaling completely through the mouth for a count longer than the inhalation.

Benson argued that controlling breathing in this way triggers the parasympathetic nervous system to come online and counter our sympathetic nervous system's fight or flight response to daily stresses. In effect, the relaxation response is the anti-fight or flight response. Subsequent research has backed up and expanded Benson's argument.

This is also just speculation but perhaps the alternating between the faster and slower breathing of that BaHa portion of EE works like this: bring up old emotions through fast breathing (as faster breathing is an indication of stress) and calm those emotions through the slower breathing that follows. This could be the reason why some people need a break from the BaHa and why it is not recommended for people with mental illnesses such as Bipolar Disorder as they wouldn't have the psychological tools or strength to process those emotions during day to day life.

While researching the scientific aspect of Eiriu Eolas, I also learned that there is an electroencephalographic (EEG) rhythm that is favored during beatha and other respiratory rhythms which are similar to beatha. It is a slow wave theta pattern called post-reinforcement synchronization (PRS).

This occurs right before falling asleep and during certain stages of sleep. In humans, the PRS is associated with the appearance of images and emotions that are otherwise suppressed. This state which is right in "the edge of sleep" is therapeutically useful by allowing repressed emotional content to arise. In addition, there is a reduction in brain excitability. This allows to evoke repressed emotional or traumatic memories in a safe and calm environment. It helps to see emotional reactions and the "fight or flight" responses within the context of your higher cognitive functions, allowing for emotional processing and creative solutions.

There are more clues in Peter Levine's book "In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness"

_http://www.amazon.com/Unspoken-Voice-Releases-Restores-Goodness/dp/1556439431

There is also a short summary on the emotional processing aspect of Eiriu Eolas here, half way through the article:

Mass nervous breakdown: Millions of Americans on the brink as stress pandemic ravages society
https://www.sott.net/article/261360-Mass-nervous-breakdown-Millions-of-Americans-on-the-brink-as-stress-pandemic-ravages-society

With Éiriú Eolas there is more information exchange between the two hemispheres of the brain (left-right integration), which means there is increased coherence and better problem-solving. It also improves balance between parts of the cortex and subcortex, which means that higher functions of your cortex can influence primitive messages from your subcortex. Selfless love, reasoning, logical deduction and emotional processing 'originate from' or 'take place' in these higher cortical areas.

Éiriu Eolas evokes deep insight, resolution of emotional conflict, and a subjective sense of newfound mental clarity. It also has a strong impact on stress-reduction and eases anxiety and depression. This is in part due to the fact that there is a complex interrelationship between breathing, cognition and emotion. Emotional states can affect the respiratory rate, depth, and pattern. On the other hand, voluntarily changing the pattern of breath can account for at least 40% of variance in feelings of anger, fear, joy, and sadness.

Psychotherapist Peter A. Levine has proposed the idea that trauma is not a "disorder" (as in 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder'), but an injury to the body-mind. Rather than a syndrome that may be a life-long burden, trauma can be healed. He explains in An Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness:

Trauma occurs when we are intensely frightened and are either physically restrained or perceive that we are trapped. We freeze in paralysis and/or collapse in overwhelming helplessness. In freezing, your muscles stiffen against a mortal blow, and you feel "scared stiff." On the other hand, when you experience death as being unequivocally imminent, your muscles collapse as though they have lost all their energy. In this "default" reaction (when it has become chronic, as it does in trauma), you feel that you are in a state of helplessness resignation and lack the energy to fuel your life and move forward. This collapse, defeat and loss of the will to live are at the very core of deep trauma. Being "scared stiff" or "frozen in fear" - or, alternatively, collapsing and going numb - accurately describes the physical, visceral, bodily experience of intense fear and trauma.

While we might not actually remain physically paralyzed, we do get lost in a kind of anxious fog, chronic partial shutdown, dissociation, depression and numbness. When one is overwhelmed, the frontal cortex of the brain, where things are put into perspective, shuts down and our abilities to stand back and observe one's sensations and emotions is lost; we then become those emotions and sensations. This makes us feel terribly overwhelmed, fearful and stiff, and we get stuck in an immobilized fearful response which translates into a lack of vitality and engagement towards life.

As breathing is controlled by a complex feedback of both voluntary and involuntary mechanisms - involving autonomic networks, the brain stem headquarters of the vagus nerve, the limbic system, cortex, and the neuroendocrine system - voluntary control of breath can help create a physiological state where we can finetune our automatic reactions and influence the reactivity of our central nervous system. For instance, long-standing overwhelming feelings of helplessness or fear can be released through the breathing exercises as physical trembling, changes in body temperature or spontaneous crying that is relieving and non-traumatizing. It is the release of long-term, 'bound' energy held in the body's primitive defense mechanism patterns. This brings balance between the most evolved parts of the brain and our most primitive ones, allowing for complex, knotted and 'heavy' emotions to emerge in a safe setting, where they can be integrated and transformed. Through the breathing exercises, the prefrontal cortex is engaged in observing primitive fearful sensations generated in the limbic system, allowing us to process the information and let it go.

Peter Levine adds:

Beginning meditators are often painfully surprised at the tumultuous activity of their minds. Thoughts, sensations, feelings, fears and desires chaotically pursue each other like dogs obsessively chasing their tails. However, as they gain some steadiness in awareness, practiced meditators start taming their restless minds. They begin having extended periods when they are not sucked into the endless swirling vortex of their frenzied thoughts and emotions. In place of this turbulent state a sublime inquisitiveness about moment-to-moment experience begins to develop. They start to investigate the "how" of each arising moment, as well as their reactivity to various thoughts, sensations, feelings and situations.

Breathing as a therapeutic tool provides a means for regulation of mental and emotional states, which cover a broad area ranging over psychology, physiology, and spirituality.

That's pretty darn interesting!

Odyssey said:
This is also just speculation but perhaps the alternating between the faster and slower breathing of that BaHa portion of EE works like this: bring up old emotions through fast breathing (as faster breathing is an indication of stress) and calm those emotions through the slower breathing that follows. This could be the reason why some people need a break from the BaHa and why it is not recommended for people with mental illnesses such as Bipolar Disorder as they wouldn't have the psychological tools or strength to process those emotions during day to day life.

I think that makes perfect sense. In doing the fast breathing, therefore forcing your body into a "stressed" state - which then associates with times you have naturally felt like that in high stressful cases, then slowing down the breathing is allowing for those previous stressful states to calm down naturally. Which will then explain how it really "digs deep" in emotionally processing past experiences etc.
What's interesting is how much of that goes unnoticed, as in sometimes you won't even be aware of what you're processing but your body/ energetic self has "memories" or imprints that it can relate to.

Gaby said:
While researching the scientific aspect of Eiriu Eolas, I also learned that there is an electroencephalographic (EEG) rhythm that is favored during beatha and other respiratory rhythms which are similar to beatha. It is a slow wave theta pattern called post-reinforcement synchronization (PRS).

This occurs right before falling asleep and during certain stages of sleep. In humans, the PRS is associated with the appearance of images and emotions that are otherwise suppressed. This state which is right in "the edge of sleep" is therapeutically useful by allowing repressed emotional content to arise. In addition, there is a reduction in brain excitability. This allows to evoke repressed emotional or traumatic memories in a safe and calm environment. It helps to see emotional reactions and the "fight or flight" responses within the context of your higher cognitive functions, allowing for emotional processing and creative solutions.

For me, that explains why I started having such intense processing just before I was about to go to sleep. Also, I guess this is why so many of us fall asleep during the Baha portion of the program.
So in terms of this PRS - if those who are scared of the dark (because it increases melatonin) is that because they haven't been in a safe place beforehand to process their emotions?

Gaby said:
Trauma occurs when we are intensely frightened and are either physically restrained or perceive that we are trapped. We freeze in paralysis and/or collapse in overwhelming helplessness. In freezing, your muscles stiffen against a mortal blow, and you feel "scared stiff." On the other hand, when you experience death as being unequivocally imminent, your muscles collapse as though they have lost all their energy. In this "default" reaction (when it has become chronic, as it does in trauma), you feel that you are in a state of helplessness resignation and lack the energy to fuel your life and move forward. This collapse, defeat and loss of the will to live are at the very core of deep trauma. Being "scared stiff" or "frozen in fear" - or, alternatively, collapsing and going numb - accurately describes the physical, visceral, bodily experience of intense fear and trauma.

While we might not actually remain physically paralyzed, we do get lost in a kind of anxious fog, chronic partial shutdown, dissociation, depression and numbness. When one is overwhelmed, the frontal cortex of the brain, where things are put into perspective, shuts down and our abilities to stand back and observe one's sensations and emotions is lost; we then become those emotions and sensations. This makes us feel terribly overwhelmed, fearful and stiff, and we get stuck in an immobilized fearful response which translates into a lack of vitality and engagement towards life.

As breathing is controlled by a complex feedback of both voluntary and involuntary mechanisms - involving autonomic networks, the brain stem headquarters of the vagus nerve, the limbic system, cortex, and the neuroendocrine system - voluntary control of breath can help create a physiological state where we can finetune our automatic reactions and influence the reactivity of our central nervous system. For instance, long-standing overwhelming feelings of helplessness or fear can be released through the breathing exercises as physical trembling, changes in body temperature or spontaneous crying that is relieving and non-traumatizing. It is the release of long-term, 'bound' energy held in the body's primitive defense mechanism patterns. This brings balance between the most evolved parts of the brain and our most primitive ones, allowing for complex, knotted and 'heavy' emotions to emerge in a safe setting, where they can be integrated and transformed. Through the breathing exercises, the prefrontal cortex is engaged in observing primitive fearful sensations generated in the limbic system, allowing us to process the information and let it go.

Thank you Gaby! That was a really insightful read. So in the first few years or so of EE, depending on circumstances... the program itself is just aiding in processing old emotions, and at the same time preparing/ "re tuning" your emotions/ brain/ fight or flight response to become less overwhelmed when stressful events occur?

Lilyalic said:
For me, that explains why I started having such intense processing just before I was about to go to sleep. Also, I guess this is why so many of us fall asleep during the Baha portion of the program.
So in terms of this PRS - if those who are scared of the dark (because it increases melatonin) is that because they haven't been in a safe place beforehand to process their emotions?

That could certainly be an aspect. I never thought about it, but it makes sense to me within this context.

Lilyalic said:
So in the first few years or so of EE, depending on circumstances... the program itself is just aiding in processing old emotions, and at the same time preparing/ "re tuning" your emotions/ brain/ fight or flight response to become less overwhelmed when stressful events occur?

In my experience, that is certainly the case. People would even have results pretty quick when they remember to pipe breath and practice EE regularly. For some, there might be core issues that require time, experience or help to "melt down".

Even when the aim could be the same for all of us, this science of EE translates into a pretty unique experience for each individual. It is surely a great adventure and not a bad day's work!

Gaby said:
In my experience, that is certainly the case. People would even have results pretty quick when they remember to pipe breath and practice EE regularly. For some, there might be core issues that require time, experience or help to "melt down".

Besides pipe breating, which is indeed very helpful as a way to destress, I think it's also very important to try to be constantly aware of how we breathe, and to use belly breathing (our natural way of breathing after all) as much as possible. I've been trying to do that, and sure enough, when I don't pay attention, I revert to chest breathing. When I return to belly breathing, I almost instantly feel better, less tense/more relaxed. A simple but very effficient tool!

Lilyalic said:
I think that makes perfect sense. In doing the fast breathing, therefore forcing your body into a "stressed" state - which then associates with times you have naturally felt like that in high stressful cases, then slowing down the breathing is allowing for those previous stressful states to calm down naturally. Which will then explain how it really "digs deep" in emotionally processing past experiences etc.
What's interesting is how much of that goes unnoticed, as in sometimes you won't even be aware of what you're processing but your body/ energetic self has "memories" or imprints that it can relate to.

This is how I've understood baha more or less. The different tempos for the breath are similar to those in different emotional states. Slow can be relaxed, or sad/depressed, medium is the busyness of everyday life and the mind chatter that goes with it, and the fast tempo can correspond to excitement or anxiety/panic. If there are similar emotions buried, the breathing brings them out by resonance.

Another interesting idea is that we breathe at different rates at different stages of life. Babies have fast metabolisms and so breathe rapidly. We have a medium tempo as an adolescent, and slow down as we age. So it could be possible that emotions experienced at different stages of development will also come out through the same idea of resonance. You might find info on Alexander Lowen interesting. He brought the idea of bioenergetics to the West.

herondancer said:
Lilyalic said:

This is how I've understood baha more or less. The different tempos for the breath are similar to those in different emotional states. Slow can be relaxed, or sad/depressed, medium is the busyness of everyday life and the mind chatter that goes with it, and the fast tempo can correspond to excitement or anxiety/panic. If there are similar emotions buried, the breathing brings them out by resonance.

Another interesting idea is that we breathe at different rates at different stages of life. Babies have fast metabolisms and so breathe rapidly. We have a medium tempo as an adolescent, and slow down as we age. So it could be possible that emotions experienced at different stages of development will also come out through the same idea of resonance. You might find info on Alexander Lowen interesting. He brought the idea of bioenergetics to the West.

It's amazing how baha works for different people. Taking into account the way of breathing: slow breaths, middle, fast - pattern. It suggest similarity to waving. It start from deep, long breaths, pass into middle, and finish on fast and shallow breath, and then again deep, middle, fast

Can we say that it's "training exercise" before The Wave (remembering about influence on the emotions)? If yes, it's another reason to practice EE.

lux said:
It's amazing how baha works for different people. Taking into account the way of breathing: slow breaths, middle, fast - pattern. It suggest similarity to waving. It start from deep, long breaths, pass into middle, and finish on fast and shallow breath, and then again deep, middle, fast

Can we say that it's "training exercise" before The Wave (remembering about influence on the emotions)? If yes, it's another reason to practice EE.

Possibly, but it's always important to not tax our bodies! If we notice that the ba-ha part is stirring quite some things up, it's best to go at it slowly and perhaps only do pipe breathing and meditation (and journaling etc.) for a little while, as the C's once said: "Facing reality and mastering the self alternating with meditation for recovery."

Perhaps worth noting, the C's also mentioned that "this practice MUST be accompanied by a commensurate effort to constantly gain knowledge by effort." As we process things, it is also important to keep gaining information. In a way, it might be helpful with replacing the old with the new! While keeping in mind to always help and give to those who ask.

Oxajil said:
lux said:

Possibly, but it's always important to not tax our bodies! If we notice that the ba-ha part is stirring quite some things up, it's best to go at it slowly and perhaps only do pipe breathing and meditation (and journaling etc.) for a little while, as the C's once said: "Facing reality and mastering the self alternating with meditation for recovery."

Perhaps worth noting, the C's also mentioned that "this practice MUST be accompanied by a commensurate effort to constantly gain knowledge by effort." As we process things, it is also important to keep gaining information. In a way, it might be helpful with replacing the old with the new! While keeping in mind to always help and give to those who ask.

So, If I see dependents correctly. Knowledge is like seed and ba-ha is like enriching ourselves to be ready to get this seed, what finally give us additional inner resources, what in turn mean that we achieve more free will and we can experience reality on the new level, before not available.

There is nothing like golden mean, because things are connected and need complex approach.

EE has some years now and it is worthwile to recall themselves, what is the goal and what is the role of particular elements.

For understanding the strong connection betwee breathing and emotions, check out this method that some actors use called Alba-emoting. The idea is to induce emotions like crying or laughter by starting the breathing patter that correlates to each emotion. Here are a few clips:

https://youtu.be/nMJNvsIf1gs

https://youtu.be/lMgYBFWlDJ0

The series of videos continues with a few more episodes, and I recommend watching those too if you find it interesting.

Also, regarding bioenergetic or round breathing and why it brings suppressed emotions to the surface, I've heard one theory during my studies in body work that goes something like this:

- The pause between inhaling and exhaling represents our attempt to control and suppress by holding back. As we take away that pause by immediately breathing out after inhaling, we lessen this control mechanism, thus freeing up stuff

- The pause between exhaling and inhaling represents the moment of "coiling in", or withdrawing from the outer world, sort of a moment of nothingness. As we take away that pause, too, we force ourselves to be more present and aware

Aragorn said:
Also, regarding bioenergetic or round breathing and why it brings suppressed emotions to the surface, I've heard one theory during my studies in body work that goes something like this:

- The pause between inhaling and exhaling represents our attempt to control and suppress by holding back. As we take away that pause by immediately breathing out after inhaling, we lessen this control mechanism, thus freeing up stuff

- The pause between exhaling and inhaling represents the moment of "coiling in", or withdrawing from the outer world, sort of a moment of nothingness. As we take away that pause, too, we force ourselves to be more present and aware

That's a fascinating take on things. I liked the instructor's explanation on the breathing patterns of laughter and crying. It was also interesting how she had control over her states. I wonder how much it relates to Stanislovsky (sp?) acting method? He said that it was important to call up the actual emotion in order to communicate it to the audience. This method seems more about creating the physical expression of the emotion, and maybe even feeling it, but being able to stand a bit apart and "play" with it, as she puts it. That seems to be more what we are aiming for here. There's an observational component at work.

herondancer said:
Aragorn said:

That's a fascinating take on things. I liked the instructor's explanation on the breathing patterns of laughter and crying. It was also interesting how she had control over her states. I wonder how much it relates to Stanislovsky (sp?) acting method? He said that it was important to call up the actual emotion in order to communicate it to the audience. This method seems more about creating the physical expression of the emotion, and maybe even feeling it, but being able to stand a bit apart and "play" with it, as she puts it. That seems to be more what we are aiming for here. There's an observational component at work.

Yes, that's very interesting indeed, I really like the ideas about the pause between inhaling and exhaling.

I remember that Peter Levine talked about "pendulation" by which mammalians activate the stress response and then naturally "shake" their bodies and turn back to normal, calm breathing. I read the book long ago, but from what I can remember, he said that we, humans, can break this natural loop and therefore loose our ability to turn our relaxation systems back on after the stress response. What happens with round breathing then, apart from bringing back emotions and releasing them, is that we learn again that there is calm after the storm, so to say... that we can be calm again when something bad happens and that we learn to activate this natural calming response more often afterwards. This has certainly been the case for me.

There is a quote from his book that I really like:

"When this natural resilience process [pendulation] has been shut down, it must be gently and gradually awakened. The mechanism that regulates a person's mood, vitality and health are dependent upon pendulation. When this rhythm is experienced, there is, at least, a tolerable balance between the pleasant and the unpleasant. People learn that whatever they are feeling (no matter how horrible it seems), it will last only seconds to minutes. And no matter how bad a particular sensation of feeling may be, knowing that it will change releases us from a sense of doom. The brain registers this new experience by tuning down its alarm/defeat bias. Where before, there was overwhelming immobility and collapse, the nervous system now finds its way back toward equilibrium. We cease to perceive everything as dangerous, and gradually, step by step, the doors of perception open to new possibilities...."

And...

"Empowerment derives directly from expelling the physical attitude of defeat and helplessness and restoring the biologically meaningful active defense system - that is, the embodied triumph of successful protection and visceral actuality of competency. Such recognition also helps to dissolve the entrenched guilt and self-judgment that may be byproducts of helplessness and repressed/dissociated rage. By accessing an active and powerful experience, passivity of paralysis and collapse is countered."

I think this is one of the mechanisms in which EE helps us develop and connect our centers. When we are constantly stressed, feeling paralyzed, etc., we are unable to trust, be more open to learning and connecting with others (and ourselves). If we are constantly feeling threatened, all our systems are focused on what is threatening us and therefore we cannot see beyond that fear. By learning how to relax, and by healing the wounds and trauma that made us feel threatened, we become more open to learning and connecting with others and ourselves. This doesn't mean that we never feel stressed anymore, but the stress response is more functional (it does what it's suppose to do) and our systems are less busy with fear so that they can concentrate in other functions... that certainly brings more opportunity to develop all our centers, OSIT.

---

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lilyalic. Those are horrifying memories and I can imagine how hard it is to bring them back. I agree with the others that it'd be good to take it easy with the Beatha portion and continue with the pipe-breathing, warrior's breath and meditation. Just as with Iodine, it advisable to detox our minds and hearts with EE little by little so that we aren't overwhelmed. :hug2:

Edit: wrong emoji

Back
Top Bottom