Ultra Simple Diet

I am really pleased to know that your whole condition is moving in a VERY positive direction. It is so important to have good fats in order to make sure that every cell of the body has building blocks so as to make it all work together. Figuring out how to get them in can be a little problematical for a few people as we have seen! You can't just jump on a sluggish liver with both feet and expect it to perform!

The milk thistle has been working well for those with similar problems here. Psyche has developed a protocol for that and it appears to be having very positive results.

I'm also glad that you can tolerate the nuts. I plan to re-test them in a few months myself because I do really love nuts!!!

Laura said:
The milk thistle has been working well for those with similar problems here. Psyche has developed a protocol for that and it appears to be having very positive results.

For those interested, the protocol is here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17952.msg210919#msg210919

A good quality milk thistle is important. Make sure it doesn't have evil ingredients on them like soy, dairy, gluten, titanium dioxide. Some have low concentrations of sylimarin. I noticed that 100mg of active sylimarin, three times per day seems to make the most difference.

Psyche said:
Laura said:

For those interested, the protocol is here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17952.msg210919#msg210919

A good quality milk thistle is important. Make sure it doesn't have evil ingredients on them like soy, dairy, gluten, titanium dioxide. Some have low concentrations of sylimarin. I noticed that 100mg of active sylimarin, three times per day seems to make the most difference.

I have a question about the protocol (going to try it after receiving the supplements). I was thinking to combine it with the ultra simple diet and do it for 20 days (that's for how long the bottle will last), but do you think it would be ok to introduce lot of fats (perhaps after the first or second (?) week of the ultra simple diet) just to test the liver? Or is it better to let the liver rest during the whole time? Also, was planning to combine it with l-glutamine and good enzimes just in case I have a leaky gut that causes weight or fat loss. So hope it's ok. Thanks.

And, Gertrudes, really happy to hear the great news! :flowers: Also, definitely going to try nuts again after all of this is over. It would make me really happy if I would be able to eat hazelnuts or other nuts without any unfortunate consequences.

Great news Gertrudes!

Gertrudes said:
I'm curious now on what will happen when I re test coconut oil, something to which I had a strong reaction in August.

Keep in mind that some people just don't react well to coconut oil (myself included). I tried testing it a little while ago and after two days of cooking with it I started having this really stiff and painful muscle tension in my neck. I stopped the oil and it disappeared. Sore muscles seems to be my reaction to foods I'm not tolerating, as that's what happens if I eat nightshades too often. I can have potatoes one day, but if I eat them again soon after I get quite painful muscle soreness. I've just discovered this recently.

Back to coconut oil, I was recently at a talk given by nutritional author Paul Pitchford who works both with western and eastern approaches to nutrition (it was quite fascinating to hear about his methods, bringing in the Chinese medicine approach, which I'm not familiar with). He said in his practice he stopped recommending coconut oil outright as all his patients would get worse on it. He said coconut milk and shredded coconut seemed fine, but using the isolated oil didn't seem to work for anyone. He said the only time it worked was with populations who ate the whole coconut regularly - cooked with the oil as well as using the milk, water or meat on a regular basis; not necessarily at the same meal, though. Perhaps there's something in the isolated oil that needs to be 'deactivated' by what's in the remainder of the coconut. I'm not sure but thought I would bring it up in case you still have issues with it.

[quote author=Gertrudes]
I have also discovered that I am no longer having the skin reactions that I would have to nuts in the past. This really is an added bonus as I love nuts but could never eat them freely because I'd get so much acne. So far I have tested brazil nuts, pecan nuts, almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts, all without experiencing one single reaction. Again, this would be unthinkable months ago. Needless to say, I am VERY pleased.
[/quote]

That's great! I tested almonds and sesame seeds this week and seem to be fine with them :) I can't say the same thing about eggs :( I tried eggs for breakfast a couple of weeks ago and had quite bad diarrhea around dinner time. I really should test again since I'm not positive it was the eggs, but I'm not really relishing the idea since it was so unpleasant. On a brighter note, I seem to tolerate chocolate. I don't think I'll do it very often since I do seem to get kind of wired off the caffeine, but it's good to know I can still have a treat now and then.

dugdeep said:
Great news Gertrudes!

Gertrudes said:
I'm curious now on what will happen when I re test coconut oil, something to which I had a strong reaction in August.

Keep in mind that some people just don't react well to coconut oil (myself included). I tried testing it a little while ago and after two days of cooking with it I started having this really stiff and painful muscle tension in my neck. I stopped the oil and it disappeared. Sore muscles seems to be my reaction to foods I'm not tolerating, as that's what happens if I eat nightshades too often. I can have potatoes one day, but if I eat them again soon after I get quite painful muscle soreness. I've just discovered this recently.

I have exactly the same thing... only it's joints and muscles. I do NOT do well with coconut oil. I don't even like the taste of it though many people swear by it.

Keit said:
I have a question about the protocol (going to try it after receiving the supplements). I was thinking to combine it with the ultra simple diet and do it for 20 days (that's for how long the bottle will last), but do you think it would be ok to introduce lot of fats (perhaps after the first or second (?) week of the ultra simple diet) just to test the liver? Or is it better to let the liver rest during the whole time? Also, was planning to combine it with l-glutamine and good enzimes just in case I have a leaky gut that causes weight or fat loss. So hope it's ok. Thanks.

You should be able to continue with your diet, having fats as well.

It is really a handy supplement.

dugdeep said:
Keep in mind that some people just don't react well to coconut oil (myself included). I tried testing it a little while ago and after two days of cooking with it I started having this really stiff and painful muscle tension in my neck.
(...)
Back to coconut oil, I was recently at a talk given by nutritional author Paul Pitchford who works both with western and eastern approaches to nutrition (it was quite fascinating to hear about his methods, bringing in the Chinese medicine approach, which I'm not familiar with). He said in his practice he stopped recommending coconut oil outright as all his patients would get worse on it. He said coconut milk and shredded coconut seemed fine, but using the isolated oil didn't seem to work for anyone.

Oh, that's interesting. After having read a few things here and there, including Dr. Mercola's website, on how coconut oil is this super oil I was sad that I couldn't tolerate it.
So far I have not had any problems with raw coconut. In fact, I like it so much that I eat it almost every day.
Thanks for the info dugdeep!

dugdeep said:
I can have potatoes one day, but if I eat them again soon after I get quite painful muscle soreness. I've just discovered this recently.

It's interesting how certain foods seem to have this effect, where one can tolerate it in minor quantities but once we up the doses we'll notice all sorts of reactions. I'm glad you noticed it though, I think it is important to be able to track the roots of a symptom. I often wonder whether certain things don't pass me by simply because I don't notice them.

dugdeep said:
On a brighter note, I seem to tolerate chocolate. I don't think I'll do it very often since I do seem to get kind of wired off the caffeine, but it's good to know I can still have a treat now and then.

Good to hear that. Chocolate is something that I will be testing soon. Similar to nuts, it is something I have avoided for years due to allergic reactions.

Laura said:
You can't just jump on a sluggish liver with both feet and expect it to perform!

Very true.

Laura said:
I'm also glad that you can tolerate the nuts. I plan to re-test them in a few months myself because I do really love nuts!!!
Keit said:
Also, definitely going to try nuts again after all of this is over. It would make me really happy if I would be able to eat hazelnuts or other nuts without any unfortunate consequences.

They are such a handy, nutritious and delicious food, that it opened up greatly my choices of in between meals snacks. I do hope that your symptoms to nuts subside in the meantime.

An update on my sensitivity to Arachidonic Acid.

... Aracidonic Acid (AA), and destructive in excessive amounts, especially from your diet. Whilst I don’t eat a great deal of red meat (only lamb, cured pork, duck, and turkey legs), I have recently significantly increased (more than doubled) my eating of eggs (the yolk is the important part here AA-wise) as a consequence of stopping eating the Hemp protein powder in the morning. Since reading about this, I’ve adjusted my intake back down to my previous level.

... Also, I’ve experienced restless sleep (waking early and having difficulty in getting back to sleep), dry skin on the knuckles of my hands, as well as the minor constipation – these are all symptoms of too much, or sensitivity to, Arachidonic Acid.

By significantly reducing my egg and red meat intake, the dry skin on on the knuckles of my hands is vastly improved, although the other symptoms persist. It's early days on the path to recovery.

Regarding the last few posts, fortunately I can tolerate chocolate, nuts (at least the ones I’ve tested) and coconut meat. Interestingly I’ve been unable to get hold of coconut oil, so thanks for the update dugdeep. Also, nuts and seeds are useful as a mid-morning snack.

I’m glad to hear of your news Gertrudes.

Gertrudes said:
It's interesting how certain foods seem to have this effect, where one can tolerate it in minor quantities but once we up the doses we'll notice all sorts of reactions.

FWIW, this may make sense when we consider that we have a tolerance level for every food (or product). Allergy means no amount at all, tolerance means up to a certain level. Apparently, tolerance levels vary according to lifestyle: the better lifestyle you have (eat properly, avoid chemicals, stress, etc.), the higher your tolerance level for the food you are supposed to eat. If it's not meant for you, your body's 'BS' detector will on the contrary become sharper with better lifestyle choices and the tiniest amount will provoke a reaction. It's then considered toxic for your body.

Very often, people who have no problem with a certain food (or other product) will suddenly not be able to tolerate it as they used to. Taking a step back and look at what has been going on in their lives, what they have exposed their body to (stress, chemicals, new food or product, etc.) will help see what caused the sudden change.

Sometimes our tolerance level is so high for something that we never notice any problem (e.g. 5 cups of buckwheat a day). But there is a tolerance level anyway. You can also increase your tolerance level with some kinesiology tapping techniques (again, provided the food is actually good for you). But the first step is lifestyle changes.

I've been doing the USD for about half a year now. I'm getting kind of lazy and need to test some more things. I was wondering if frozen vegetables are ok on the diet? Also what about dark meat, because it says only lean white breast meat on the list? And what about dried fruits, it says not to include them in reintroduction; I'm thinking about the date bread.

Like others have mentioned, I'm going to test nuts and chocolate. I'm wondering about peanuts too, but they are a legume, so I'm guessing you'd need to soak them like you would beans. It seems the problem with items like nuts is that they often go on the same lines as wheat products.

3D Student said:
I've been doing the USD for about half a year now. I'm getting kind of lazy and need to test some more things. I was wondering if frozen vegetables are ok on the diet? Also what about dark meat, because it says only lean white breast meat on the list? And what about dried fruits, it says not to include them in reintroduction; I'm thinking about the date bread.

Yeah, if you have been on the diet for awhile you can re-introduce dried fruits just in time for the holiday season ;) Frozen vegetables are okay, so is dark meat.

Psyche said:
Yeah, if you have been on the diet for awhile you can re-introduce dried fruits just in time for the holiday season ;) Frozen vegetables are okay, so is dark meat.

Cool, thanks Psyche. Variety is always good and I'm looking forward to reintroducing more foods :P.

Back
Top Bottom