Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Just the word of caution for those who are too eager to start nuking with high doses.
Cherry angiomas seem to be common symptom of detox. In most of the cases they are permanent and can be removed only by surgery. They are not dangerous per se, but may cause aesthetic problems especially if they form on the face, they can also be source of bleeding due to friction with the clothes.

I will definitely apply moderate approach. Luckily I sourced the lab local that can do iodine loading test and will check my iodine status first just to have a base mark.
Since I dont have any health issues I am intending to start with dose of 12-13mg per day and then see how it goes.

I am seeing a lot of canine mammary tumors in my practice and I am looking into conducting a study ( will see if the lab will accept canine urine samples ) to determine if findings are the same as in humans.

dugdeep said:
So eating chocolate looks like it would also negate the benefits of iodine.

I looked more into the chocolate-contains-bromine issue and have come to the conclusion that this isn't the case. There is some confusion around the term "Theobromine", which is an alkaloid found in chocolate. It's what gives that happy, satisfied feeling from eating a good quality chocolate and is also, incidentally, what makes chocolate dangerous for dogs and cats, as they can't detoxify it as readily as humans.

However, despite the name, theobromine is not related to bromine. From Wikipedia "Despite its name, the compound contains no bromine—theobromine is derived from Theobroma, the name of the genus of the cacao tree, (which itself is made up of the Greek roots theo ("god") and broma ("food"), meaning "food of the gods")[3] with the suffix -ine given to alkaloids and other basic nitrogen-containing compounds.[4]" So it seems it's just confusion around the naming conventions.

Where things get complicated, however, is that apparently conventional cocoa crops are often sprayed with methyl bromide as a fumigant and pesticide. It seems likely that chocolate produced from conventional cocoa crops is going to contain residue of this nasty pesticide (see here), so in this case, it would no doubt be a good idea to avoid non-organic chocolate. But with the knowledge we have here on the forum, we should have been doing this anyway. So I'd say if you're eating a good quality organic, fair-trade chocolate or cocoa powder, you should be OK, keeping in mind the sugar content still needs to be kept in check.

As for why chocolate can act as an "antidote" to too much iodine (not sure this is actually the case, or whether one would actually need an "antidote" since it seems unlikely one would be able to actually overdose on iodine as opposed to just stirring up too many toxins or killing too many critters), I imagine this has more to do with the chelating effect of cocoa. I know cocoa can bind to iron and isn't recommended for anemics, so I wonder if it would also bind iodine. Or it may possibly bind mobilized toxins given off by the killed critters or the metals displaced by the iodine itself, providing some relief. All just speculation, of course.

Thanks so much dugdeep for looking into it and sharing the info.

Laura said:
You can back down your dose since what you are describing are the detox symptoms of unloading the metals and stuff.

[...]

All you describe suggests to me that the commonsense thing to do is back off a little and build up slowly. Remember that the big doses are if you can definitely identify a virus or bacterial infection or something that needs a definite smacking. Otherwise, start slow and build up gradually!!!

I think you're right, Laura. Earlier I left the house forgetting to do the salt water and I had that distinct metal taste in my mouth all afternoon - a pretty good sign that I'm detoxing metals. I guess I was going kind of gung-ho on this since I've never been all that sick and have never really had much of a reaction to various detox protocols (DMSA, FIR saunas, coffee enemas, etc.). And because these symptoms were all pretty easily bearable (overall, I feel pretty OK), I thought I should keep going and get through it. But I think I'll skip a couple of days and then go down to half my previous dose (5 drops). Slow and steady.

Laura said:
Yes, the teeth can start acting up because you have a load of metals and stuff in your jaw. What I've been doing is putting five drops of lugols in a tablespoon of distilled water and swishing it in my mouth for 3 or 4 minutes. Then I spit it out.

That's a good idea! I'm going to try that.

dugdeep said:
As for why chocolate can act as an "antidote" to too much iodine (not sure this is actually the case, or whether one would actually need an "antidote" since it seems unlikely one would be able to actually overdose on iodine as opposed to just stirring up too many toxins or killing too many critters), I imagine this has more to do with the chelating effect of cocoa. I know cocoa can bind to iron and isn't recommended for anemics, so I wonder if it would also bind iodine. Or it may possibly bind mobilized toxins given off by the killed critters or the metals displaced by the iodine itself, providing some relief. All just speculation, of course.

I agree with you. We are not sure that cocoa is an antidote of iodine excess. I think that comes from the same rumor about chocolate cointaining bromine which is not the case. Bromines do counteracts the effect of iodine, so it is probably that someone do a bad connection here.

It has been hanging around my mind that boron has complementary? and maybe synergistic effect with iodine. I can prove that, but I have just thinking on it when gaby wrote about that.

Gaby said:
Some good info on the importance of boron on the link.

Thanks Gaby for pointing out the benefits of combining iodine and boron against mycoplasma. I keep putting off trying Boron so I will have to study up on it now and add it to my regimen.

curious_richard said:
Lycurgus said:
The following paper is the best I've found so far, I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but if i am calling it extreme would be an understatement you would have to drink litres of lugols.

Potassium Iodide in the Treatment of Syphilis : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1053890/pdf/brjvendis00157-0048.pdf

tolerance for iodides is very good, and in-patients are given 90 gr. daily in three equally divided doses without any preliminary testing. Outpatients, however, are given 30 gr. daily for one week, and if tolerance is good, the dosage is rapidly stepped up so that at the beginning of the third week the patient is taking 90 gr. daily. No case of intolerance has been noted with 30 gr. daily. A few, usually women, show signs of intolerance with a daily dose of 90 gr., but most adult females can reach 135 gr. daily, and most adult males 180 gr. daily, without discomfort. The earlier toxic signs are increased salivation, metallic taste in the mouth, and coryza. The aim should be to reach the maximum dose in 3 weeks, and to maintain it for 3 weeks. Symptomatic relief occurs early and is often noted during the first week with a dosage of only 30 gr. daily.
Let's be careful here. I looked over the report twice, and never saw the word "gram" in there. Considering the date (1952) and country (South Africa), I think it is very likely that the authors used gr. to mean grains. So 30 gr. and 90 gr. would be 2 and 6 grams.

Thank you for clearing up my mistake curious_richard, I had never actually heard of the measurement term "grain" before so that makes a lot more sense now, much appreciated. I wasn't suggesting I was going to try it, just looking for how iodine treatment was used in the early days.

Gandalf said:
dugdeep said:
So eating chocolate looks like it would also negate the benefits of iodine.

I looked more into the chocolate-contains-bromine issue and have come to the conclusion that this isn't the case. There is some confusion around the term "Theobromine", which is an alkaloid found in chocolate. It's what gives that happy, satisfied feeling from eating a good quality chocolate and is also, incidentally, what makes chocolate dangerous for dogs and cats, as they can't detoxify it as readily as humans.

However, despite the name, theobromine is not related to bromine. From Wikipedia "Despite its name, the compound contains no bromine—theobromine is derived from Theobroma, the name of the genus of the cacao tree, (which itself is made up of the Greek roots theo ("god") and broma ("food"), meaning "food of the gods")[3] with the suffix -ine given to alkaloids and other basic nitrogen-containing compounds.[4]" So it seems it's just confusion around the naming conventions.

Where things get complicated, however, is that apparently conventional cocoa crops are often sprayed with methyl bromide as a fumigant and pesticide. It seems likely that chocolate produced from conventional cocoa crops is going to contain residue of this nasty pesticide (see here), so in this case, it would no doubt be a good idea to avoid non-organic chocolate. But with the knowledge we have here on the forum, we should have been doing this anyway. So I'd say if you're eating a good quality organic, fair-trade chocolate or cocoa powder, you should be OK, keeping in mind the sugar content still needs to be kept in check.

Thanks so much dugdeep for looking into it and sharing the info.

The problem with an excess of toxins from dead parasites could be to do with anaphylactic shock, which is undesirable, possibly fatal.

I had two days off iodine and was taking all the co-factors, I felt really depressed for those days. I had bad anxiety and paranoia, feelings of worthlessness and all kinds. Now today I'm back on the iodine, and keep having feeling of "floating" and dizziness, like my perception has changed along with fatigue. I'm going to lessen my dosage and back off a little (taking 8-10 drops of 12%) then at some stage go in and nuke em! (When I've read the book fully)

The other day I was having sharp pains down my back, only a few times, then I thought of Chu's experience, but the pain hasn't gotten any worse and now seems as if its just muscle soreness.

I've read a little of the book, just waiting to see if I can figure out to transfer an EBook from Carl's comp.

Was finally able to purchase the Brownstein Iodine ebook tonight after some days of trying. It downloaded OK and seems to work fine on adobe digital editions 3.0. Don't know if others were having the same trouble, but things (on his website) seem to be working as they should now.

Eyes are swollen today and tender, and yesterday one tooth was throbbing. I went all the way down to one drop in the last two days, but perhaps the detox symptoms are a little delayed from when I was doing 4 drops a day.

Galaxia2002 said:
Hi! Just happens that there are some different ways to measure the iodine content in lugol's solution. The example you write is g/g concentration while what I put was g/ml type concentration. There is also ambiguity if the % corresponds to the total iodine or only molecular iodine (I2). What I have seen is that the % in the bottle labels corresponds to iodine (I2) content not KI. For example a label of 5 % g/ml solution of lugol's have 5 grams of iodine (I2) and double amount of KI (10 g).
What is important is that whatever formula you choose to prepare the solution, (be g/g or g/v) you have a real measure of the mg of total iodine. As Laura said the % in not important but it is important that you use always the same solution prepared in the same way. If not then you can't have control of it.

In the case of water which has density of 1, 1 ml of water weighs 1 gram. I remember in school that is how they came up with the basics of the metric system- water!
So the formulas should be the same with water measured in grams or ml.

There is an excellent summary of Dr. Abraham and Brownstein's work here . It's fairly short and sums it all up nicely.

I was a bit afraid of starting out with a high dose of Lugol's, as I can't afford to be down and out, even for a day. I had been using 12.5mg/day for 7 days, with only minor detox reactions. On day 8, I upped it to just 15mg and shortly after ingestion, I felt swelling in my neck/thyroid gland, and then discovered a boil had developed near my private parts on my backside!

Without wasting a minute, I applied 50/50 straight DMSO and Lugol's topically to the boil. Surprisingly, the DMSO did not burn or even irritate my skin. I usually dilute the DMSO, but understood using it with Lugol's, it is just a straight 50/50 mix. {Z, when you used Iodine and DMSO on your chalazion, did you dilute the DMSO with saline?}

I then felt it wouldn't be enough, and dosed 1000mg of amoxicillin orally. After only 3 hours or so, most of the inflammation had resolved and swelling reduced over 50%. I am cutting back down to the 12.5mg! In the summary above, it is suggested to use 12.5mg per day for 30 days, then reduce to a maintenance dose of 1-3mg/day. The body can only use 5mg a day, once there is tissue saturation. On how long detoxing the halogens can take to achieve proper saturation....that might be months/years and different for everyone. Not to mention critters!

The only way to really know, is to do the Iodine Loading urine test. I am going to continue 12.5mg/day for 1 month and then have the test and see how much I am excreting. A normal level is to excrete 90% of a 50mg dose, and retain just 10% or 5mg. From this, we can see why only 1-3mg for maintenance, since some Iodine will still be obtained in food. But that's, of course, after saturation and detox have occurred.

Others recommend 12.5mg/day period. This may actually be necessary because of environmental toxins, but if one has cut out brominated grains and dairy, and fluoridated water, that high a dose, after detox and tissue saturation, may not be necessary. High doses can then be reserved for specific illness or radiation exposure.

[quote author= Heimdallr]
Eyes are swollen today and tender, and yesterday one tooth was throbbing. I went all the way down to one drop in the last two days, but perhaps the detox symptoms are a little delayed from when I was doing 4 drops a day. [/quote]

Are you using a 5% solution? You may want to stop taking any Lugol's for a day or two and perhaps take some amoxicillin if you think the tooth is infected. Or maybe just swish water and a couple drops of Lugol's and then spit it out as Laura's suggested.

Some cool compresses will help the eye swelling. I had the start of an eye infection few days ago, I used 2-3 drops of Tobramycin on it and then some bacitracin ointment on before bed. Next morning it was gone.

If any detox symptoms crop up, it seems using a 2nd weapon (antibiotic or antiviral on it straight away, even a 1-2 day dose, and it resolves immediately).

I don't have the metallic taste but I have the taste of salt. Is that to be expected? Its been there pretty much all day and was there yesterday to. It could be a metallic taste but to me its the same taste as the salty water. I'm on a low dose of only 3 drops per day as I slowly work up to the recommended 5.

luke wilson said:
I don't have the metallic taste but I have the taste of salt. Is that to be expected? Its been there pretty much all day and was there yesterday to. It could be a metallic taste but to me its the same taste as the salty water. I'm on a low dose of only 3 drops per day as I slowly work up to the recommended 5.

A bad taste in your mouth is to be expected at higher doses. What % of Lugol's are you using? And who recommended 5 drops per day? Is it for a specific purpose? I may have missed that.

Hello Everyone:

just a follow up, I've been taking the warm salted water for a week now, but there is a problem, I'm getting zap more often than ever ( as in electric shocks every time I walk and touch anything metal :shock:) , is it because of salt?

any thoughts?

regards.

Back
Top Bottom