Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Εἰρήvη said:
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with iodine.
I have been taking Iodine since November, and I haven't had any cold, even though everyone around me is sick. I feel very energetic and clear-minded.

I have a question:
Do you think Iodine and Potassium Iodide taken during a radiation therapy will benefit or interfere with the treatment?
Should the dosage be increased or diminished during a radiation treatment?

Concerning radioactive elements/particles, I think iodine can prevent the absorption of radioactive iodine. However, other radioactive elements like plutonium, cesium, uranium, and so forth will be absorbed by the body.

Concerning ionizing radiations (radiotherapy is mostly based on ionizing radiations, specifically gamma rays), I don't think iodine can block them but it can certainly offset some of the side effects.

Here are the words of Nobel Laureate and discover of vitamin C Linus Pauling about the effects of ionizing radiations:

“The rays of high-energy radiation are like little bullets that shoot through the body. They tear electrons away from molecules and through subsequent reactions of the molecular ions that are formed, the molecules may be broken in two, some atoms may be torn away from them, some new molecules may be formed. The dose of 500 roentgens that usually leads to death by acute radiation sickness causes about 500,000 changed molecules to be formed in each cell. If any of the special molecules [that control the process by which the cell divides] happen to be damaged by a single little bullet of radiation from a single radioactive atom, it may be changed in such a way as to cause the cell to divide much more rapidly than the other cells. This cell may then produce a colony of rapidly dividing cells, which in the course of time would outnumber the normal cells of that type. Then the human being may die from cancer—perhaps leukemia, bone cancer, some other kind of cancer—caused by the single radioactive atom that produced the single little bullet of radiation.”

From the above, one can wonder if radiotherapy does indeed reduce risks of cancer. Apparently, Dr Sircus thinks it is just the opposite that occurs:

People associated with the nuclear and medical industries assert falsely, “there is no evidence that exposure to low-dose radiation causes any cancer—the risk is only theoretical,” or “the risk is utterly negligible,” or “the accidental exposures were below the safe level,” and even “there is reasonably good evidence that exposure to low-dose radiation is beneficial and lowers the cancer rate.” By any reasonable standard of scientific proof, the weight of the human evidence shows decisively that cancer is inducible by ionizing radiation even at the lowest possible dose and dose-rate—which means that the risk is never theoretical.

Joe said:
Miss.K said:
Joe said:
t's a bit early but 10-undecanoic acid seems to be a great way to handle candida. I've been using Thorne Research's Formula SF722 from amazon.

Thanks, I didn't know that one. I'll give it a try.
-though most importantly I guess, I have to stop eating the junk that candida loves (no slips),
...I still haven't found a good place to buy organic meat here. (southern Spain) The organic meat I can buy online is stripped of fat (and quite expensive), and buying the fat apart is not the same, (though better than nothing) In case anybody knows a good place to buy organic meat (preferably pork) in southern Spain, I'd be very happy to get the info.

Yes, cutting way back on sugar and carbs is a requirement while you're trying to deal with candida. Just remind yourself that it is not forever. The thing is, if you can handle a low carb/sugar diet for a couple of months while you tackle the candida, you'll effectively be nuking your sugar cravings too, so when you "go back" on sugar and carbs, you'll naturally keep it very low anyway.

If you're in southern spain then you should be able to easily find a good source of jamon serrano. Pata negra or jamon iberico de cebo (or bellota) being the mostly natural fed types.
I think I have to stay away from carbs forever, as everything went downhill for me once I started slipping, (not even bad slips, a little piece of chocolate, or a bit of grapes) after having been happily in ketosis and not having any cravings for about 2 years. It is a mystery to me why it is so hard to get back there, it was fairly easy the first time, and now I even know that cravings will stop and everything get better, as I've tried it before.
Jamon serrano is good, but the fat don't taste good once it is dried, so there is a lack of fat, but xylitol is on it's way, so I will soon be able to make fatbomb :)

Joe said:
Nancy2feathers said:
I've been taking Cilantro/Chlorella tincture for 5 days now and have noticed the sebaceous cysts on my arms and legs have softened and lessened in size. Some are almost completely gone away. I've had these cysts most of my adult life and have had prolly a dozen others removed over the years. Other than the cysts I'm not feeling any other detox symptoms. :)

Interesting Nancy. Are you using a premade mixture? If so, what brand, and how many drops?

I have bought these cilantro/clorella drops on iherb (waiting for them to arrive) : Planetary Herbals, Cilantro Heavy Metal Detox, 4 fl oz (118.28 ml)

SeekinTruth said:
Just a note about candida. As far as I understand, if it is systemic (i.e. not just an overgrowth in the gut), then it will be able to feed on ketones. There's been some discussion of this on the forum (probably Keto thread and this iodine thread too). The Perfect Diet folks have had a bunch of data about it if one wants to search for it and track it down. The reason I mention systemic candida is because, as far as I know, there shouldn't be any ketones in the GI tract or very, very small amounts (maybe some intestinal microbes may produce some?). Just thought I'd mention it as it came up recently in this thread as I was catching up.

I remember reading something about that (perhaps a sott article). something like one should not go no carb, because then the candida will keto adapt too. I first got very depressed about that info, but then I started hoping that iodine could nuke the the rest, as in my experience most of the candida went away on the diet (no inflated stomach, no white disgusting stuff on the tongue, but a bit left on one toenail)

Pierre said:
[quote author=Persej]

Personally, after my last report I did another cycle of 5 days with 2 drops, then took 2 days of brake, then 5 days with 3 drops. And today I'm taking another brake. What is strange to me is that this time I had no strong symptoms even after I upped the dose to 3 drops. Either I finished with detox or these brakes between cycles are very helpful to me.

Yesterday I got another acne flareup on my head so I will up the dose to 4 drops.

I experienced similar side effects. It looked like early stage 'bromoderma'/ 'iododerma' located on the forehead and cheeks. It was getting more and more itchy and the folicules were growing bigger. I reduced my iodine intake (from 3 drops to 1 drop), increased my salt water and water intake and applied clay + aloe vera daily on the affected areas. It disappeared within about one week.

I hope you'll manage to get rid of this flare up quickly :).
[/quote]

I too have been fighting something like Bromoderma on my temples, forehead and scalp hairline. I have tried cutting out the Lugols altogether (5% at 6 drops) for 2 weeks and it did not disappear. I also have tried rubbing in some Neem cream and it does have an effect, but this condition still persists.
If it is Bromoderma / Iododerma, then it could be a Bromide detox or it might be an oversupply of Iodine. I'm not sure how to tell the difference. If I am successfully detoxing Bromides, would that necessarily create the Bromoderma condition?

Joe said:
Nancy2feathers said:
I've been taking Cilantro/Chlorella tincture for 5 days now and have noticed the sebaceous cysts on my arms and legs have softened and lessened in size. Some are almost completely gone away. I've had these cysts most of my adult life and have had prolly a dozen others removed over the years. Other than the cysts I'm not feeling any other detox symptoms. :)

Interesting Nancy. Are you using a premade mixture? If so, what brand, and how many drops?

Hi Joe. I've been taking Planetary Herbals premixed "Cilantro Heavy Metal Detox" with Chlorella. I started out taking one dropper full the 1st day with 2 extra 520 mg tablets each of Chlorella. After reading Gaby's post about Cilantro/Chlorella, the next day I backed off to 2 drops and 1 extra Chlorella and took that amount for a couple days. I didn't really feel any affects so I upped the drops to 3 twice a day and 2 Chlorella tablets 2x a day. That's when I noticed the sebaceous cysts in my arms and legs where shrinking and some totally disappeared, so I know it's doing something!!! Tonight I took 6 drops and 2 Chlorella tabs.

DougEE said:
I too have been fighting something like Bromoderma on my temples, forehead and scalp hairline. I have tried cutting out the Lugols altogether (5% at 6 drops) for 2 weeks and it did not disappear. I also have tried rubbing in some Neem cream and it does have an effect, but this condition still persists.
If it is Bromoderma / Iododerma, then it could be a Bromide detox or it might be an oversupply of Iodine. I'm not sure how to tell the difference. If I am successfully detoxing Bromides, would that necessarily create the Bromoderma condition?

Some of the bromide detox facilitated by the iodine is through the skin. This is another reason why some recommend to start slow and up your dose slowly. Skin lesions related to bromide detox may include cherry angiomas and bromoderma which might not disappear.

Perhaps you can experiment with tincture such as the one Nancy2feathers used?:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13371.msg632386.html#msg632386

I did an ultrasound of my thyroid today (I got an appointment from six months ago). My nodule on my left side is a little bit bigger but they cannot say whether it is actually bigger or it just looks bigger from another angle. They also found a small nodule in my parathyroid that wasn't there before. Or the other doctors did not see it. But the doctor who examined me said that it is nothing to worry about for now.

This doctor also examined my lymph nodes on my neck and he wrote that they look reactive. I searched on the net and it means that they are inflamed, which happens when you have infection. Which I do, but doctors don't believe me for some reason. They became visibly enlarged last spring and they are like that since then.

In two weeks I will do a blood test for my thyroid (FT4, TSH, ATA, Calcitonin).

Persej said:
I did an ultrasound of my thyroid today (I got an appointment from six months ago). My nodule on my left side is a little bit bigger but they cannot say whether it is actually bigger or it just looks bigger from another angle. They also found a small nodule in my parathyroid that wasn't there before. Or the other doctors did not see it. But the doctor who examined me said that it is nothing to worry about for now.

This doctor also examined my lymph nodes on my neck and he wrote that they look reactive. I searched on the net and it means that they are inflamed, which happens when you have infection. Which I do, but doctors don't believe me for some reason. They became visibly enlarged last spring and they are like that since then.

In two weeks I will do a blood test for my thyroid (FT4, TSH, ATA, Calcitonin).
What symptoms are you experiencing? Do you have the cold extremities and/or anxieties?
Apparently there are now very safe non-invasive surgeries to remove these nodules.

DougEE said:
What symptoms are you experiencing? Do you have the cold extremities and/or anxieties?

I have heart problems - tachycardia and low blood pressure and general heart weakness. I do feel anxious when I feel that my hearth is having problems but I don't feel psychologically anxious. I don't think I have any standard thyroid symptoms. My thyroid hormones were good, so far.

My lymph nodules in my armpits were very itchy and were sweating a lot, now only sometimes. I tested positive on chlamydia pneumonia in my blood, but my white blood cells were fine so doctors don't believe that I have an infection, or that if I do that it could be related to my heart problems.

Of course, I do have cold extremities when I cross my legs, for example, and I get a red stripes, because my hearth cannot pump my blood effectively. I actually read in one article that this is a good test for the health of your heart. But doctors don't believe me for that either.

I also read that when you get in swimming pool that your blood vessels contract and that your heart can pump blood more easily. Which explains why I was feeling good when I was in swimming pool many years ago when I first got this problem. My thyroid was also fine then.

I now think that it's possible that some critter got inside me 13 years ago and that my immune system managed to suppress it after some time, and that it came back three years ago when my immune system was damaged and this critter emerged from the background.

But that theory is just too crazy for my doctors. :)

DougEE said:
Persej said:

This doctor also examined my lymph nodes on my neck and he wrote that they look reactive. I searched on the net and it means that they are inflamed, which happens when you have infection. Which I do, but doctors don't believe me for some reason. They became visibly enlarged last spring and they are like that since then. [...]
Apparently there are now very safe non-invasive surgeries to remove these nodules.

From another point of view, there is no such thing as "non-invasive" surgeries. That is, even though they are minimally invasive, it is still an invasive procedure.

Although it might be good to keep these things controlled with medical tests... relieving toxicity, nutritional deficiencies and inflammation would yield better results in the long run for your whole health. That could go a long way in order to fight infections more effectively.

Sometimes a lymph node is a good sign, the body is fighting ;) Let's keep in mind that some stealth infections are very problematic. Consider that some people spend one year in anti-microbials before they can "more and less" manage bugs such as mycoplasma fermetans. A holistic approach should be much more effective :)

Gaby said:
Sometimes a lymph node is a good sign, the body is fighting ;) Let's keep in mind that some stealth infections are very problematic. Consider that some people spend one year in anti-microbials before they can "more and less" manage bugs such as mycoplasma fermetans. A holistic approach should be much more effective :)

Yes. Interestingly, my neck lymph nodes became swollen only after I started a herbal anti-microbial protocol last year. It seems that that protocol activated some elements of my immune system, but that my immune system still wasn't able to win the battle. And after I've read about biofilms, it doesn't surprise me anymore why these bacteria are so powerful against us.

[quote author=Gaby]Although it might be good to keep these things controlled with medical tests... relieving toxicity, nutritional deficiencies and inflammation would yield better results in the long run for your whole health. That could go a long way in order to fight infections more effectively.
[/quote]

I agree. That's why my hope now lies in iodine. I upped the dose to 4 drops yesterday and I feel good. No bad symptoms except for some small diarrhea today. I also got diarrhea after first increase to 3 drops, but after that was fine. Maybe it's some adjustment in my body. I will also order that cilantro/chlorella mix.

Oxajil said:
As for the good news, as some might know, I've been struggling with a viral infection (herpes zoster ophthalmicus/herpes simplex) in my right eye that would occasionally flare up. I've been dealing with it for about five to six years now with ups and downs. When I went to the eye doctor with Chu last week, we were surprised to learn that the eyedoctor said that he is seeing improvement in my eye; blood vessels have decreased, and there is a lot less inflammation. He was quite surprised and said it was a miracle! Before, he seemed hopeless, and mentioned surgery as a possibility when things get worse. I was really relieved when I heard that things are taking a turn for the better. I think that the low doxy protocol, the antibiotics protocol, and now the iodine protocol have all been contributing to this improvement. I think that in some cases (like mine) it can take a couple of years before there are some visible changes! But it is definitely worth it.

When I was inflamed, I gained some weight, in total about 10kg. I gradually lost it all with the low doxy and the antibiotics protocol, and now with the iodine intake, it seems that my body continues to get rid of inflammation. All in all, I'm hopeful about my eye condition, and maybe continuing to take iodine will lead to an eyesight improvement. I wouldn't have been able to get a result like this without Laura, everyone at the Chateau, and this forum's great support and help! Maybe for those dealing with health issues, it can help to know that even if you don't see immediate results, keeping at it, and doing your best, sharing and asking for help here, will eventually lead to visible improvements. And I'm sure that 'below the surface' something is happening, even if you don't see it right away!

:flowers:

Oxajil, I'm glad the eye is getting better! I too had a good experience recently with my rare cold sores issue (it used to be common before I cut out wheat/sugar though).

A few weeks ago, I had to work outside in the cold after work on my car- big issue that I wanted to repair before the snow storm. The weather and the stress of the repair itself got me feeling a cold sore (similar virus) coming up. I usually would get the soreness, pop 1-2 lysine tablets and it would subside. This time, it came out on my cheek as a sore, before the "blisters" phase. I upped my iodine dose for 2 days. Normally once the sore is out, the blisters are inevitable, but this time, the sore just slowly started to heal up! I did try a drop or 2 of SSKI to the sore one day but the burning was rough and I didn't want to irritate the healing. Maybe it would have been better to put the SSKI on unbroken skin near the sore. SSKI is recommended for the skin as it is clear and the skin cells better use iodide than iodine.

Oxajil, maybe next time you can try that, put a drop of SSKI a few cm away from the eye to give a localized iodide dose?

Pierre said:
Concerning radioactive elements/particles, I think iodine can prevent the absorption of radioactive iodine. However, other radioactive elements like plutonium, cesium, uranium, and so forth will be absorbed by the body.

Concerning ionizing radiations (radiotherapy is mostly based on ionizing radiations, specifically gamma rays), I don't think iodine can block them but it can certainly offset some of the side effects.

Here are the words of Nobel Laureate and discover of vitamin C Linus Pauling about the effects of ionizing radiations:

“The rays of high-energy radiation are like little bullets that shoot through the body. They tear electrons away from molecules and through subsequent reactions of the molecular ions that are formed, the molecules may be broken in two, some atoms may be torn away from them, some new molecules may be formed. The dose of 500 roentgens that usually leads to death by acute radiation sickness causes about 500,000 changed molecules to be formed in each cell. If any of the special molecules [that control the process by which the cell divides] happen to be damaged by a single little bullet of radiation from a single radioactive atom, it may be changed in such a way as to cause the cell to divide much more rapidly than the other cells. This cell may then produce a colony of rapidly dividing cells, which in the course of time would outnumber the normal cells of that type. Then the human being may die from cancer—perhaps leukemia, bone cancer, some other kind of cancer—caused by the single radioactive atom that produced the single little bullet of radiation.”

From the above, one can wonder if radiotherapy does indeed reduce risks of cancer. Apparently, Dr Sircus thinks it is just the opposite that occurs:

People associated with the nuclear and medical industries assert falsely, “there is no evidence that exposure to low-dose radiation causes any cancer—the risk is only theoretical,” or “the risk is utterly negligible,” or “the accidental exposures were below the safe level,” and even “there is reasonably good evidence that exposure to low-dose radiation is beneficial and lowers the cancer rate.” By any reasonable standard of scientific proof, the weight of the human evidence shows decisively that cancer is inducible by ionizing radiation even at the lowest possible dose and dose-rate—which means that the risk is never theoretical.

Pierre, I've worked with people who used to work at nuclear power plants. The cancer risk is much higher for low radiation in a long period, than high radiation in a short period, when the dosage adds up to the same total.

I suppose the low radiation flies under the radar of the immune system, whereas the high radiation is obvious to the immune system to ramp up and catch the mutated cells?

Divide By Zero said:
A few weeks ago, I had to work outside in the cold after work on my car- big issue that I wanted to repair before the snow storm. The weather and the stress of the repair itself got me feeling a cold sore (similar virus) coming up. I usually would get the soreness, pop 1-2 lysine tablets and it would subside. This time, it came out on my cheek as a sore, before the "blisters" phase. I upped my iodine dose for 2 days. Normally once the sore is out, the blisters are inevitable, but this time, the sore just slowly started to heal up! I did try a drop or 2 of SSKI to the sore one day but the burning was rough and I didn't want to irritate the healing. Maybe it would have been better to put the SSKI on unbroken skin near the sore. SSKI is recommended for the skin as it is clear and the skin cells better use iodide than iodine.

Oxajil, maybe next time you can try that, put a drop of SSKI a few cm away from the eye to give a localized iodide dose?

I'm glad upping the iodine dose helped it heal up, you nuked it! And yeah, I think it's important not to put SSKI on a sensitive area of the skin. Based on what I've heard, in some or even most cases, I think that intake of iodine and/or potassium iodide has a better effect than directly putting it on the area that needs healing (as it might start irritate the area as you said). But having said that, putting a drop slightly away from my eye could be an interesting experiment! Apparently iodine is also concentrated in the eyes. I think that if I take it, it will go there either way. (In my case, most of the inflammation and scarring took place in the cornea):

Iodine is concentrated in certain parts of the eye and has been used therapeutically for various eye diseases and infections. It may be useful for dry eyes, cataracts, infections, glaucoma, and UVB protection.

Becker suggests that iodide in the eye can be inhibited by similar substances that inhibit thyroid iodine transport

Winkler et al found that the iodine content in the ocular tissues showed the following rank order: cornea > retina > vitreous body > anterior chamber fluid > lens. They discuss the possible protective, antioxidative, and OH-scavenging efficacy of iodide. They have researched using iodide for UVB-
protection, dry eyes, and cataracts.

Elstner et al focus on iodide and cataracts, as well as the antioxidant effect of iodide.

Pierre said:

Just to add, i recall from Brownstein, that Iodine promotes apoptosis or cell death, when individual or collective cells start behaving wrongly and replicating uncontrollably, causing cancer. Hence i think this is how Iodine helps with other forms of radiation as well. It helps recovery by immediately killing the affected cells that start to mutate.

Persej said:
DougEE said:

I have heart problems - tachycardia and low blood pressure and general heart weakness. I do feel anxious when I feel that my hearth is having problems but I don't feel psychologically anxious. I don't think I have any standard thyroid symptoms. My thyroid hormones were good, so far.

My lymph nodules in my armpits were very itchy and were sweating a lot, now only sometimes. I tested positive on chlamydia pneumonia in my blood, but my white blood cells were fine so doctors don't believe that I have an infection, or that if I do that it could be related to my heart problems.

Of course, I do have cold extremities when I cross my legs, for example, and I get a red stripes, because my hearth cannot pump my blood effectively. I actually read in one article that this is a good test for the health of your heart. But doctors don't believe me for that either.

I also read that when you get in swimming pool that your blood vessels contract and that your heart can pump blood more easily. Which explains why I was feeling good when I was in swimming pool many years ago when I first got this problem. My thyroid was also fine then.

I now think that it's possible that some critter got inside me 13 years ago and that my immune system managed to suppress it after some time, and that it came back three years ago when my immune system was damaged and this critter emerged from the background.

But that theory is just too crazy for my doctors. :)

Take it slowly Persej. You can always take a surgery, but i think that all other options should be checked first. We are all scared on some strange way when doctors urge us to take suspicious drugs or try some invasive and unnecessary procedures. A regular checkup, listen to your body and network and of course have a faith in the process. Take care :hug2:

Another small update on my situation. As i wrote 2 days ago in thread about adding some carbs in the evening, since thursday i started to feel pain in my pancreatic area again. Then the next day that pain was smaller but i felt the same painful spot on my left side of the thyroid. And again heart palpitations, tremmor and general shaking of the body. Today first in the morning i took a glass of warm salted water. 15 minutes later i feeled a strong mucle twitching in my whole right triceps. Now and 1 1/2 hours later its still a non stop twitching in the same area. i` ll see how will sitiation develop during the weekend.

Konstantin said:
Another small update on my situation. As i wrote 2 days ago in thread about adding some carbs in the evening, since thursday i started to feel pain in my pancreatic area again. Then the next day that pain was smaller but i felt the same painful spot on my left side of the thyroid. And again heart palpitations, tremmor and general shaking of the body. Today first in the morning i took a glass of warm salted water. 15 minutes later i feeled a strong mucle twitching in my whole right triceps. Now and 1 1/2 hours later its still a non stop twitching in the same area. i` ll see how will sitiation develop during the weekend.

I, too, went through some weird symptoms. Like I said before, it helped a lot to increase the mineral intake, including supplemental potassium without iodine. In addition to having detox things going on, I suspect that increasing iodine in the body triggers stuff because of generalized mineral deficiencies overall. But the benefits of taking care of these newly revealed problems is definitely worth it. It also prompted me to take a slower and easier approach and to make sure that I get the other things that are lacking as revealed by iodine trying to do its job without support in the body.

Back
Top Bottom