Anyone know anything about Rapeseed oil?

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Where do I find reliable, objective data about whether or not something is bad for me?

I'm looking into rapeseed oil at the moment. It seems that, until the late 1970's, it wasn't used for human consumption, but as a lubricant and for use in manufacturing. It says on the bottle that it's high in good fats and low in bad fats. The link below says that a lot of it is GM, and has been 'changed' and rebranded as canola oil because they needed to make it a lower acidity. The below article says it was implicated in mad cow disease because it was fed to the sheep that the cattle were eating.

_http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1863915/what_is_rapeseed_oil.html?cat=5

Alternatively, I looked up grape seed oil, and couldn't find any problems with it.

So...

Is just searching the net for articles and comparing them, a good way to figure out if somethings bad? Are there any particular sites that are better than others?

Hi,

From what I understand, rapeseed is rich in erucic acid, which is bitter and potentially toxic.

T.C.

Later today I have a meeting with a farmer who produces rapeseed, - if you have any specific questions you would like me to put to him I would be happy to. As far as your question goes though, when trying to find info on the net about products etc. so many sites seem to have agenda's, selling a product or something, it does become tricky when trying to determine the facts

As for websites that are better for accurate info than others - I think this one is ;)

Al

Sorry alphonse, just saw your post.

Did you learn anything interesting from the meeting? I guess if I was growing rapeseed, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to point out its bad points.

Rapeseed oil can be anything, soya etc, prob Gm as well. stick to buying labelled specific oils, Sunflower is nice, & reasonably cheap, EVOO of course, hot pressed Olive Oil also can be okay.

Hi T.C.

well the farmer tells me that he his family have produced it for many years, and he sells it to a processor, who mainly uses it for sale as food grade - it is used in biscuits and baked products, and can have the generic label of ""vegetable oil" on ingredient lists.

Canola - he believes , is a variety, a Cultivar - one of many and sold under Trademark, but he dosen't grow that variety himself.

He is mainly a Strawberry farmer but grows Rapessed, because it is a reliable crop, he also produces Linseed.

Not much info, but something I didn't know!

Al

Canola, the "edible" oil from rapeseed, has to be highly processed. The rapeseed plant is toxic and Canola is made from a genetically modified varietal. Here is a site that discusses its numerous downsides as a dietary ingredient:

_http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/canola.htm

Given that there are so many healthy oils to choose from, I would strongly suggest that Canola be left out of one's diet.

Thanks for the extra info.

Just found that my favorite rice milk, Provamel, contains rapeseed lecithin. So I won't be buying anymore of that.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/06/06/saturated-fat/

*We advocate the use of olive oil, but recommend against the use of canola oil, despite its widely perceived healthful reputation. In order to be fit for human consumption, rapeseed oil (which is canola oil) requires significant processing to remove its objectionable taste and smell. Processing damages the oil, creating trans fats. Also, the oil is sensitive to heat, so if used at all, it should never be used to fry foods.

Rapeseed is also, more often than not, a GMO crop, which is just another reason to avoid it.

Also, There are plenty of official Canola sites lauding this new “wonder” oil with all its low-fat health benefits. It takes a little longer to find sites that tell the less palatable details. Here are just a few facts everyone should know before buying anything containing canola.

Back
Top Bottom