Sudden head jerking from time to time.

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hello,

sometimes it happens to me that my head jerks. It is just one single movement most often to the right side and happens from time to time (so not very often) and it feels kind of tickling and a little energetic in the neck area when it happens (kind of if energy arises). So far as I'm aware of this happens since I'm a child and caught last week my curiosity again what it might be, cause it happened two times.

Is anybody experiencing the same and has maybe an idea what it is or might be?

I think I may have experienced this once of twice, like when I am concentrating or "zoning out". It's kind of like the way people's bodies 'jerk' sometimes when they are falling asleep, except it's just a small head jerk, yes?

Found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

It happens to me when I am falling asleep. It will be like a muscle twitch except it's your whole head. It is rather off-putting in the moment but I still find it easy to settle back in and fall asleep.

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start, is an involuntary myoclonic twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as the subject is beginning to fall asleep, often causing him or her to awaken suddenly. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] A higher occurrence in people with irregular sleep schedules is reported.

It happens to me as well right before falling asleep, especially if you are trying not to fall asleep (nodding off in a lecture class). It usually startles me quite a bit and is accompanied by the sensation of 'dodging' an imminent blow to the face. In fact, ever since I played baseball at a young age, I've always had the accompanying feeling of a baseball coming at my face rapidly just before the hypnic jerk. I guess there is something off-putting about someone throwing a hard ball as fast as they can essentially right at you while you try to fend it off with a wooden stick.

I'll have those hypnogogic jerks too. Usually it is like a flinch when something is coming at me. I think I had one last night and I was performing an action with my arms and one actually moved. I think when you haven't entered sleep paralysis you can perform in real life the actions of your dreams.

Like with the above, they occur only when I'm falling asleep. They're not frequent; it's a once-in-a-long-while thing. :zzz:

Thanks for the feedback.

But it happens more over the day to me and not at night. Maybe I have been tired at that time could be a possibility, I like to observe it and see when it is happening again and under which condition.

3D Student said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it could be Tourette's syndrome? That's the first thing I think about when I hear of random body movements.

No worries. I also thought about it, but my -symptoms- are happening very seldom, so that it can't be called a tic, at least imo. Nonetheless it is mentioned in the article dopamine and serotonine may play a role in Tourette-syndrome and an overall brain-chemistry imbalances. As well Laura writes about it in the last chapters of the wave series: "You take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland afore ye!"

Legolas said:
3D Student said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it could be Tourette's syndrome? That's the first thing I think about when I hear of random body movements.

No worries. I also thought about it, but my -symptoms- are happening very seldom, so that it can't be called a tic, at least imo. Nonetheless it is mentioned in the article dopamine and serotonine may play a role in Tourette-syndrome and an overall brain-chemistry imbalances.

It is also related to a magnesium deficiency.

WitherPlaysMC said:
that happens to me sometimes too but when it happens I hear loud random sound does his happen to anyone else? :scared: :huh:

:welcome: to our forum WitherPlaysMC, could you clarify what you hear for a sound and where it comes from?

Anyway, seeing as this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

the noise is usually completely random and hard to describe
it could be exploding head syndrome (AWESOME NAME FOR A SYNDROME) and my head might not be jerking it might just feel like it or i could be jerking my head from being startled by the noise

Back
Top Bottom