"Is Gluten Making Us Fat" article on yahoo website

Human

The Living Force
I was greatly surprised when I saw this article on yahoo home website. Original is in Men'sHealth _http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/gluten-free-weight-loss

Although the article doesn't address the issue of gluten toxicity completely and it kinda belittles the significance of going gluten-free by saying that one still can gain weight when on gluten-free diet (study from 2006, mine emphasis), it came as a shock to me when I realized that it doesn't mock the gluten-free lifestyle (like labeling healthy eating as a eating disorder) but that it even recommends it in a way.
Well, maybe the shock came from conditioning that people in ordinary life think of gluten-free diet as a reflection of some sort of disease...

_http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/MH/is-gluten-making-us-fat said:
Is Gluten Making Us Fat?

Turkey and tomato on wheat. Whole-grain pasta. Healthy, right? Maybe. But more and more people believe these foods are parts of a potentially disastrous trap. They claim that sluggishness and weight gain can be blamed on an insidious substance hiding in wheat and many other common grains: gluten.

Avoiding gluten has become big business. Sales of gluten-free products grew about 30 percent a year from 2006 to 2010, and will hit $3.9 billion by next year, according to the market research company Packaged Facts. Supermarket shelves are filled with gluten-free breads, soups, and cake mixes—even gluten-free ketchup and soy sauce. According to market research firm Mintel, 10 percent of new foods launched in 2010 featured a "gluten-free" claim, up from only 2 percent 5 years earlier.

NFL quarterback Drew Brees won a Super Bowl while on a gluten-free diet. Cyclist Tom Danielson, a record-breaking member of the Garmin-Transitions team, says his training and racing have improved since he and his teammates went gluten-free over a year ago.

Have most common whole grains been acting as insidious nutritional double agents all these years? Or are they essential components of a healthy diet? Let's separate the wheat from the chaff.

What is gluten, anyway? How does it affect the body?

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye, as well as in many common food additives. It's what gives dough its elasticity and baked goods their satisfying chewiness. But for people with celiac disease—a type of autoimmune disorder—eating foods that contain gluten can lead to a cascade of nasty reactions, including damage to the small intestine, poor nutrient absorption, diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, anemia, and fatigue. Celiac disease is surprisingly common, affecting about one in every 133 people, according to an often-cited 2003 study from the University of Maryland center for celiac research. There is no cure for celiac disease and no drugs that can treat it; you can only manage the condition, by sticking to a gluten-free diet for the rest of your life.

Even if you don't have celiac disease, gluten may still be bad for you, says Lara Field, M.S., R.D., a dietitian at the University of Chicago's celiac disease center. A rising percentage of people in the United States consider themselves "gluten-sensitive." "These people may have a food intolerance or experience many celiac-type symptoms after consuming foods that contain gluten," says Field. Some may have a form of wheat allergy. If you think you may have symptoms of a gluten intolerance, ask your doctor about scheduling a blood test to find out for sure.

I need to drop pounds. Is a gluten-free diet worth a shot?

A gluten-free diet can work, but dealing with the diet's restrictions can be daunting. "You have to commit to a true lifestyle change, and that can be tough," says Edward Abramson, Ph.D., a professor emeritus at California State University at Chico and the author of Emotional Eating. "Men might be able to follow gluten-free for a short time," he says, "but without a real medical need, they might have a rough time sticking to it."

But the notion of a panacea for excess weight remains seductive, and that may be part of the appeal of the gluten-free movement, says Michael R. Lowe, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Drexel University who specializes in nutritional approaches to weight loss. It sounds simple: If I do this one thing, then I will see the results I'm after. "That's the driving appeal of elimination diets," Lowe says.

Ironically, the boom in gluten-free products isn't necessarily helpful to those looking to lose weight. "You can buy gluten-free versions of practically every type of wheat-based food— pizza, pasta, cookies, you name it," Thompson says. But here's the catch: Healthy-sounding gluten-free items often contain just as many calories as the originals. People might overindulge in gluten-free options because they seem like "safe" foods, says Field. "People see 'gluten- free' and think they can down an entire box of gluten-free cookies with no repercussions."

So even if you stick to a gluten-free diet, it can actually lead to weight gain. A 2006 study in the American Journal of Gastroenterology followed 188 people with celiac disease (half of whom were overweight or obese) on a gluten-free diet for 2 years and discovered that 81 percent of them gained weight.

If you do give up gluten, use your new eating plan as a lens to reexamine your diet—and your life. Cyclist Danielson says, "I don't know if it was directly tied to the food, but I found that by having to pay more attention to my daily diet, I became more focused on my cycling."

Avoiding gluten takes constant monitoring— the same attention to detail you need to excel in your workouts. "I became more dedicated and took a more professional approach to my training when I went gluten-free," Danielson says. "I couldn't get lazy and down whole pizzas and bowls of pasta. I had to focus on putting better food in my body, and this made me realize how much my eating habits off the bike affected my performance on it." Mindful eating is key. After all, "you don't need to go gluten-free to avoid refined processed carbs," says Thompson.

The New Power Grains

Even if you don't need to avoid gluten, it's a good idea to explore the world of gluten-free grains. All of them are rich in belly-filling fiber, and each offers unique benefits.

Quinoa
Once an energy booster for Inca warriors, this superfood of the Andes provides complete protein, with all nine essential amino acids. It's also low on the glycemic index, so it won't spike your blood sugar.

Try it: Ancient Harvest Quinoa Shells are made from just two ingredients: quinoa and corn. Toss with chicken sausage for even more protein. quinoa.net

Buckwheat
Buckwheat is rich in rutin, a flavonoid that has potent antioxidant properties. It's also rich in heart-healthy magnesium.

Try it: Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes have a light, crispy texture. Buckwheat also makes a hearty substitute for rice. arrowheadmills.com

Amaranth
A grain the size of a poppy seed, amaranth has more protein than wheat and twice that of white rice. Initial studies in rodents suggest that amaranth's high protein content can help lower cholesterol.

Try it: Health Valley Amaranth Graham Crackers have only 120 calories per serving. Try them with squares of antioxidant-rich dark chocolate. healthvalley.com

Sasa said:
So even if you stick to a gluten-free diet, it can actually lead to weight gain. A 2006 study in the American Journal of Gastroenterology followed 188 people with celiac disease (half of whom were overweight or obese) on a gluten-free diet for 2 years and discovered that 81 percent of them gained weight.

They seem to be hitting this diet propaganda angle pretty hard as of late: arguing against a gluten-free diet claiming it will cause one to gain weight. There is also this Dr. OZ segment that I wrote a brief review on:

Dr. Mark Hyman on Dr. OZ: Diet Propaganda

Thanks RyanX! Good review!

You're right, it really seems that they're pushing this "gluten-free will make you fat" propaganda lately. Like stating the obvious things about how gluten can be bad and then immediately going in damage control by saying "but going gluten-free will probably make you gain weight". Gee...

The sad thing is that in celiac society (at least here in Croatia) they do sell junk food, most of which isn't even gluten-free (although the labels say so). They're so "immersed in their pain" for not being able to eat "normal" (read evil) gluten containing food that they're just totally shut to anything positive about going really and completely gluten-free.

If you read the article or watch the show mindfully, you will notice the difference between the benefits of avoiding gluten and the questionability switching to those gluten-free refined foods. The problem is, the average human is not able to do that. Thus, after reading this article or watching the Dr. Oz show the majority of people connect a gluten-free diet with those expensive, unhealthy gluten-free bread and pasta substitutes.

I noticed that the moderator of the Oz show didn't want to talk about the harm of gluten, he always led the talk into the direction of gluten-free fast food and how it makes us fat, despite the fact that Dr. Hyman clearly stated, that there is a difference between a gluten-free diet (containing fresh food) and this fast food. Nevertheless I am disappointed by Dr. Hyman, that he agred with the moderator, that Gluten is not evil in general. If a substance causes more than 50 diseases, one may come to the conclusion that it won't be a good idea to eat it at all.

In the article above they even didn't mention the easy possibility of an elimination diet, but to consult a doctor.

They don't admit that gluten is harmful, how it damages the body and that there are so many related diseases besides celiac. But since more people are questioning the health benefits of gluten by their own without a doctor the crowd is both instantly directed to gluten-free bread alternatives (at least the grain industry doesn't has to suffer) and the believe that "gluten-free diets make you fat" to avoid that more people want to try a gluten-free diet.

Even more sneaky is the fact, that the mass media is always emphazising weight loss when talking about diets, but they neglect the general diet related health improvements and relationships between food intake and how it affects us.
That led us to the status quo where the vast majority of people don't have any idea how our body is working at all. Ask an average guy what he knows about the coherences between diet, nutrition and his own organism and the only thing he may talk about is, that to much food and less exercise makes you fat.

It's such a sad metaphor for a degenerated society. When the basic knowledge about the physical body is missing, how can such people ever know even a little about their mental or spiritual health situation?

RyanX said:
Sasa said:

They seem to be hitting this diet propaganda angle pretty hard as of late: arguing against a gluten-free diet claiming it will cause one to gain weight.

Well, if you're addicted to food, specially processed food, you will gain weight even if you're on a gluten free diet.

Problem is, going strictly gluten free needs to be accompanied by going simple carb free too. Just read a book entitled "Why We Get Fat" and he lays it out though he doesn't talk about gluten! His target is insulin and it is a big one. A must read, for sure, even for people who are not fat because, if he is right - and he cites a lot of good science - insulin is definitely something that should be considered an enemy in the same way stress is: it's good when it is triggered for the right reasons in the right circumstances, but getting turned on too much, too strong, and too often is deadly for everyone.

Laura said:
Problem is, going strictly gluten free needs to be accompanied by going simple carb free too. Just read a book entitled "Why We Get Fat" and he lays it out though he doesn't talk about gluten! His target is insulin and it is a big one. A must read, for sure, even for people who are not fat because, if he is right - and he cites a lot of good science - insulin is definitely something that should be considered an enemy in the same way stress is: it's good when it is triggered for the right reasons in the right circumstances, but getting turned on too much, too strong, and too often is deadly for everyone.

The book "Life Without Bread" (Wolfgang Lutz, MD) is also an eye-opener on this subject of insulin and carbohydrates. It is written by an Austrian practicioner, who died recently on age 99. He was the first one who conducted scientific research on this topic on more than 10.000 of his patients. (He confirms every theory with data from his patients)

His book also contains the historical perspective why we are not adapted to eat a lot of carbohydrates, especially grains. He is also talking about native tribes, describing their diets.

He restricted his and his patients diets to no more than 6 bread units or 72 gram of carbohydrates a day. After being really ill at age 50 (fatigue, joint pain,...), he changed to his low-carb diet and stayed healthy until 99.

Edit: chapter IV about the gastro-intestinal tract is available online. The first english version of the book was named "Dismantling a Myth: The Role of Fat and Carbohydrates in our Diet"

Stranger said:
He restricted his and his patients diets to no more than 6 bread units or 72 gram of carbohydrates a day. After being really ill at age 50 (fatigue, joint pain,...), he changed to his low-carb diet and stayed healthy until 99.

Edit: chapter IV about the gastro-intestinal tract is available online. The first english version of the book was named "Dismantling a Myth: The Role of Fat and Carbohydrates in our Diet"

Sounds like another one I've got to read! Thanks!

Well, wouldn't you know it: it's out of print and no copies available on amazon us or uk. Maybe this is one of those books that should be scanned and shared for research purposes? Do you have a copy?

Laura said:
Well, wouldn't you know it: it's out of print and no copies available on amazon us or uk. Maybe this is one of those books that should be scanned and shared for research purposes? Do you have a copy?

Too bad. :(

I only own the german version. In german its called "Life without Bread" and already in it's 18. edition. But the english "Life without Bread" seems to be a newer book of him, written together with a guy called Christian B. Allan. Maybe the content is similar.

But I doubt that the depth is the same, since "Dismantling a Myth" was highly scientific and initially not written for avarage people. Despite he rewrote it, so everyone interested in the topic could understand it, it's still not easy to read (for people with no knowledge on this topic). I gave it to some friends, and they stopped after the first 30 pages or so. Anyway, I loved it. :)

Since he was the first one doing practical research on the low-carb diet, it is a shame that this book is out of print. By the way, besides his own research his also cites scientific studys and data.

But who knows, maybe his new book is also worth reading or contains almost the same content?

Life Without Bread:
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Without-Bread-Low-Carbohydrate-Diet/dp/0658001701

Pashalis said:
Life Without Bread:
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Without-Bread-Low-Carbohydrate-Diet/dp/0658001701

Got it! Thanks!!!! :flowers:

Below is a link to an interview with Lierre Keith, author of "The Vegetarian Myth."

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/grok-the-talk/2011/02/03/the-vegetarian-myth-with-lierre-keith-hour-2-grok-the-talk-1124

I found the most informative section began at around 36:00 minutes into the interview. Covered are many of the nutritional subjects recently discussed on this Forum. Her remark about the self preservation mechanism (anti-nutrients) of plants mirrored the comment made by th C's recently. Not being able to run away, plants will "get you" from the inside instead. Soy being the most devious of them all.

Needless to say, this recent topic has turned my nutritional beliefs upside down. I had always felt uneasy seeing my three grown children going after meat dishes with gusto. Now I know better. And while I enjoy the taste of fat, I had kept it to a minimum. It is never too late to learn and change.

Slowly but surely, I find myself incorporating this new knowledge into my daily routine. I've been consistently doing the following:

1. eating lots of shortbread cookies! : )
2. doing the EE breathing.
3. asking my wife to put more meat and fat into my meals.
4. taking and giving her coconut oil daily.
5. cutting out all bread.
6. spinning 33 times in the morning (5 AM), afternoon, and evening.
(I once spun 99 times just to see if I could and it was good).
7. I now see almost everything in a different light. It is a wonderful feeling!

Stranger said:
Laura said:

Too bad. :(

I only own the german version. In german its called "Life without Bread" and already in it's 18. edition. But the english "Life without Bread" seems to be a newer book of him, written together with a guy called Christian B. Allan. Maybe the content is similar.

But I doubt that the depth is the same, since "Dismantling a Myth" was highly scientific and initially not written for avarage people. Despite he rewrote it, so everyone interested in the topic could understand it, it's still not easy to read (for people with no knowledge on this topic). I gave it to some friends, and they stopped after the first 30 pages or so. Anyway, I loved it. :)

Since he was the first one doing practical research on the low-carb diet, it is a shame that this book is out of print. By the way, besides his own research his also cites scientific studys and data.

But who knows, maybe his new book is also worth reading or contains almost the same content?

Fortunately, Life without Bread seems to be roughly the same as the german version:

In recent years, a slew of books on low-carbohydrate diets by medical doctors and nutritionists have appeared on the market. Some, like those by Dr. Robert Atkins, MD, have focused on using low-carb diets for weight loss. Others, like the Protein Power series by the Eades, have focused on the lifestyle of low-carb eating. None of the titles, however, have applied low-carb eating to a variety of diseases, showing how such a diet directly ameliorates and heals conditions like Crohn's disease, heart disease, and diabetes. With Life Without Bread, however, that pattern has ended. Dr.'s Allan and Lutz have done an excellent job of lucidly presenting a systematic approach to low-carb eating, its beneficial effects on a number of disease conditions, and, most importantly, the scientific and clinical data to back up the claims.

Life Without Bread is mostly based on the clinical experience of Dr. Lutz, an Austrian medical doctor who has successfully used low-carb diets for decades on thousands of patients. The results of Lutz' clinical successes have been published in several European medical journals (mostly in German) and he even authored a German version of LWB as far back as 1967 to good response. His work, however, was ignored in the United States. While the USDA was hawking the Food Pyramid with its 6-12 servings of grain products a day on the American public (and most of the Western world following this lead), Dr. Lutz and a handful of brave iconoclasts were preaching the virtues of high protein and fat/low-carb diets for healthy living. After many years, Lutz succeeded in securing an American publisher and the results of his experience and research are now available to all English-speaking people.

The book begins with a definition of just what low-carb nutrition really is, followed by an historical survey of the approach by various doctors and nutritionists including such luminaries as William Banting, Weston Price, Vilhjamur Stefansson, John Yudkin, and Carlton Fredericks. In Lutz and Allan's definition, the low-carb diet should include no more than 72 grams of carbohydrates a day. The rest of the diet should be made up of protein and fat from a range of plant and animal sources.

Chapter three focuses on the effect carbohydrates have on hormonal function. Despite the complexity of the subject matter, Lutz and Allan do a fine job of explaining the endocrinological details with a variety of graphs, illustrations, and references.

Most of the following chapters focus on the benefits of low-carb nutrition for such diseases as diabetes, heart disease, gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, even cancer. The chapter on heart disease deserves special notice for it effectively debunks the phony, but widely held, notion that saturated fats and cholesterol from animal foods cause this condition. The authors explain in detail the physiological benefits of saturates and simultaneously point out the flawed reasoning behind the Lipid Hypothesis. This chapter is really what sets the book apart from other low-carb titles currently available and is worth the price of the book.

Chapter 11 is also a distinguishing chapter in that it explains the evolutionary basis for low-carb eating. Lutz and Allan clearly show that the low-carb/high fat and protein diet was the diet that humans evolved on and is what we are best suited for today. It is the high-carb/low-fat diet that is alien to our species.

The final chapter is also unique to the low-carb nutrition books available. It shows how to implement the low-carb eating plan in various people. Lutz and Allan wisely point out that older patients need to be eased into the program over a period of time, as opposed to jumping into it cold-turkey. They point out the possible health hazards of such an approach. This chapter should prove invaluable for clinicians.

Lucidly written, heavily referenced, and well-illustrated, Life Without Bread is a must-have book for physicians, nutritionists, and the public.

_http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/life-without-bread.html

Enjoy your reading!

I read Is Gluten Making Us Fat over the weekend on Yahoo. Very disappointing. We can expect that at Gluten-free diets get more attention we will see more disinformation and obsfucation about it. One of my clients at work (one of the handful of people who are interested and I've been sharing info with) showed me a printout of it today. It led to good discussion. She has noticed that just by cutting out bread that her blood sugar levels have dropped. Hopefully, this will lead to more progress despite the stupid articles that are out there poo-pooing gluten.

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is indeed a most excellent book. It's making the rounds amongst my clients too.

Thanks for the link on Life Without Bread, Stranger. I'm gonna order it.

Back
Top Bottom