Making improvements -without- The Work is messing with me

Hello WhiteBear,

Mr. Gurdjieff, in his later work with pupils, often said one must play a role externally and not identify internally. The Fourth Way Work is internal and not external, at least in the beginning. We work in silence, since we don't have the energy or understanding to correct or inform others, until we have complete control of our internal world. The external world must not know we are working, lest our lives and the lives of our fellows be made more difficult.

What does it mean to play a role? It means to play a part or character and behave as is customary, as if one were an actor or player on the stage. Our fellows must not know we are playing a role, lest we offend them. Playing a role makes me conscious of my behavior and its effect on others. I want to give the audience what is expected, even if it means internally I don't agree. This accomplishes a separation of the internal and external worlds, making one more effective at one's aim, which at this stage of work is simply to play a role externally and not identify internally. Now, I must work to perfect my instrument.

What does is mean to not identify internally? One remembers to observe the internal reactions to external relationships. When I observe my internal subjective reaction it disappears. Life seems to present an endless opportunity to practice this method, until self importance lessens and new neural pathways are established. I forget, but internal emotional reaction is a wake up call these days. I make the same error, and then struggle to remember the next time for months before habit and sloth are overcome. I make more progress now that I have a clear aim. The power of having a clear aim gives me strength to continue even when progress is elusive.

FWIW, I had difficulty understanding the injunction against internal consideration. I misinterpreted this phrase to mean I should not pay attention to the inner world. Real meaning and progress became possible when I came across the later formulation of this concept using the phrase not to internally identify. Of course, we must pay attention to our internal world, that is where the work is done in the beginning. Mr. Gurdjieff also warns against attempting to carry this message until we have attained a measure of external consideration, which is possible when I am not internally identified.

I have been living the same and other silly symptoms, and I have discovered thanks to SOTT (love you people!) that it was caused by my sleep deprivation, lol, something simple in a regular basis could destroy you. So I need to sleep more.

I recommend you to read those threads about external consideration, if you have osme issues better to keep them to yourself, because if not you just end attracting more problems.

ed:why I always have grammatical errors?

cubbex said:
I have been living the same and other silly symptoms, and I have discovered thanks to SOTT (love you people!) that it was caused by my sleep deprivation, lol, something simple in a regular basis could destroy you. So I need to sleep more.

Most definitely! How easy is it to dissociate when you don't have any energy to pay attention. Also more emotional reactions and stress can accumulate from it as well, so definitely getting a good 8 hrs + at a decent time is essential.

Check out Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping Properly?

It's quite the read, but lays out the importance of sleep as well as the ideal times to sleep.

DanielS said:
cubbex said:

Most definitely! How easy is it to dissociate when you don't have any energy to pay attention. Also more emotional reactions and stress can accumulate from it as well, so definitely getting a good 8 hrs + at a decent time is essential.

Check out Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping Properly?

It's quite the read, but lays out the importance of sleep as well as the ideal times to sleep.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom