Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

lilyalic said:
Laura said:
Just be sure to donate blood regularly... I think I need to go down and give some myself about now.

I've been to donate blood three times, and all those three times the nurses have stated that my veins in my arm aren't compatible with the needles, basically saying the vein would collapse. I increased Vitamin B intake and would've thought through Paleo and then Keto, the vein would have some how become more prominent. Silly eh? I guess it has a lot to do with my age too.

It might be something not addressed by the diet, or something that will take some time through diet alone. You might want to start supplementing with vitamin C and bioflavonoids like rutin - good for vein/artery/connective tissue health :)

dugdeep said:
lilyalic said:
Laura said:
Just be sure to donate blood regularly... I think I need to go down and give some myself about now.

I've been to donate blood three times, and all those three times the nurses have stated that my veins in my arm aren't compatible with the needles, basically saying the vein would collapse. I increased Vitamin B intake and would've thought through Paleo and then Keto, the vein would have some how become more prominent. Silly eh? I guess it has a lot to do with my age too.

It might be something not addressed by the diet, or something that will take some time through diet alone. You might want to start supplementing with vitamin C and bioflavonoids like rutin - good for vein/artery/connective tissue health :)

Or it could simply be a matter of being slightly dehydrated. You may want to increase your water intake for a few days before attempting to donate. The phlebotomists had a heck of a time getting blood out of me when I was dehydrated. Once I rescheduled because the veins on my hands ( I use my hands as a marker even though they draw from the antecubital vein on the inner elbow) weren't "puffy" enough to even bother. There's nothing worse than them digging around in your arm to try and get blood return. :nuts:

Gaby said:
lainey said:
Now I have 2 mosquito bites that are very inflamed, much more so than I remember them getting the last time I travelled (I was on the SAD diet then). So I'm wondering if my immune system is going postal on these bites here? Otherwise I'm completely fine.

Do your best to detox and stay away from GMOs, trans fats, gluten, etc... You can use your favorite natural remedy or even some cortisone cream to calm down the inflammation.

Bug bites and allergic reactions are getting more aggressive by the season. Or so it seems to me! Another sign of the time?
I think so! Thanks for the reply. Applying heat seems to work really well to stop the itching as I read it causes all the histamines in the surrounding area to be released at once.
I'm planning on doing a week long fast while I'm here to detox.
Thanks again

I found that when I got scabies, drizzling scalding hot water over the rash was much more effective for the itching than any cream I had access to. I could go for most of the rest of the day before needing to repeat.

monotonic said:
I found that when I got scabies, drizzling scalding hot water over the rash was much more effective for the itching than any cream I had access to. I could go for most of the rest of the day before needing to repeat.

Yes, hot water does help.

I once had mosquito bites that were reeeally inflamed and continued to be for more than a week, no matter what I did. A lady then suggested to put vinegar over them and it worked wonderfully. So I guess that's a cheap option if hot water doesn't work.

This is the article I read that lists a lot of home remedies:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/natural-home-remedies-for-mosquito-bites/

Few things are more annoying than the itching and scratching that accompanies a fat, juicy mosquito bite. When a mosquito bites us, we itch due to the residual saliva left behind from the insect’s feasting on our blood! Fortunately, just as Mother Nature has honored us with the presence of these buzzing nuisances, she has provided us with some natural home remedies for mosquito bites.

Here are some of my favorite and most-effective natural ways for relieving and treating painful and itchy mosquito bites. I’ve been using these remedies for years, as the mosquitos can get really bad here in Texas. In fact, you may be surprised to find that most of these remedies are common things that you can easily find in your home.

11 Remedies to Treat Mosquito Bites at Home
1. Vinegar

When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

Aloe Vera

2. Aloe

Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap

Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away. I personally use e3 live peppermint soap, and it works well.

4. Baking Soda & Water

Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion

Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste

For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey

Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

Lemons

8. Lime and/or Lemons

I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils

There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste

Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it’s finely ground.

11. Garlic

Garlic

Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

Great thread! I'm going to go out and find a copy of Life Without Bread when I am able. I have a physically demanding job and was really into sports in high school, playing football and rugby and weightlifting. I was up to 210 lbs at one point, but it was mostly muscle. We were definitely coached into carb loading the night before games and it stuck with me. After high school, I went vegetarian for 2 years and dropped back down to what I consider my healthy weight, 185. And I've been there since I was 20 and am now 29.

The keto diet really resonates with me; I grasp the science behind it and am dismayed by the level of conditioning us westerners are faced with to follow a carb heavy diet. I have been slowly weaning myself for the past month or so, and find my energy levels are up and my mind clearer. I'm also cutting way back on the drinking and am actually looking forward to a Friday night event this week, which would normally involve heavy drinking, to test my resolve. I confident the small I will be victorious over the habitual I'd that would normally take over in the social scene and have me right back to drinking heavily.

Coffee, however, will be a more difficult habit to break! I usually drink 2-3 cups of black coffee with honey a day, but since finding this thread I've been making notes as to how it effects me. I think I'll try the buttered tea tomorrow morning.

One major factor that has affected my recent research into diet was the loss of a friend to breast cancer. She was only 28, and battled it from 25 till September 2013. She and her husband, who is a longtime childhood friend, decided to go full vegan to try an battle the disease. It seems to me that this was the wrong approach, and between chemo an radiation therapy and the vegan diet it was alarming to see the downward spiral, both physically and mentally. My good friend still follows the vegan diet, and I worry about him often, but that is certainly not to say I have been a saint when it comes to diet.

Keep up the good work and thanks for this thread! I'm looking forward to a much less muddled 2015!

Great to hear, Dylan. Good luck on your diet journey.

Dylan said:
Coffee, however, will be a more difficult habit to break! I usually drink 2-3 cups of black coffee with honey a day, but since finding this thread I've been making notes as to how it effects me. I think I'll try the buttered tea tomorrow morning.

Yeah, ditch coffee for a while and you might be surprised. It seems to give people a lot of autoimmune issues similar to gluten. Personally it gives me depression and a sense of impending doom for 4-6 hours after ingestion. You will still wanna get your caffeine fix, especially while adapting, so black tea is a good option. If you fancy giving up caffeine completely after a time, then DLPA and L-Tyrosine are useful supplements for the initial withdrawal symptoms.

One major factor that has affected my recent research into diet was the loss of a friend to breast cancer. She was only 28, and battled it from 25 till September 2013. She and her husband, who is a longtime childhood friend, decided to go full vegan to try an battle the disease. It seems to me that this was the wrong approach, and between chemo an radiation therapy and the vegan diet it was alarming to see the downward spiral, both physically and mentally. My good friend still follows the vegan diet, and I worry about him often, but that is certainly not to say I have been a saint when it comes to diet.

I hear you. I have a friend (23) suffering from diabetes, osteoporosis, and alternating between anaemia and iron-overload according to blood transfusions. She basically eats no meat and all carbs, no doctor has made any dietary recommendations, and is totally obstinate about anything diet related. One of my favourite quotes from her is "food can't cause inflammation!".

It can be heartbreaking to watch. Sometimes you just kinda have to repeat to yourself "these are not my lessons" and resist the urge to try to save everybody.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Dylan. Yeah, since there's solid science that cancer cells can only metabolize sugar (all digestible carbohydrates quickly digest to sugar), the only sensible diet for cancer is the ketogenic diet. It's been studied scientifically since the 1930's for this specific disease. Also, no hunter-gatherers of old had any cancers or any of the other "diseases of civilization" (also having extremely healthy bones and teeth - with no toothpaste, brushing, flossing, etc. -, besides excellent general health, taller stature, and bigger brains). And they ate almost exclusively meat and animal fat - regardless of some of the "revisionist" bogus claims now that they were more gatherers than hunters, as more and more information has come out about the best natural diet from an evolutionary point of view for humans.

Odyssey said:
dugdeep said:

Or it could simply be a matter of being slightly dehydrated. You may want to increase your water intake for a few days before attempting to donate. The phlebotomists had a heck of a time getting blood out of me when I was dehydrated. Once I rescheduled because the veins on my hands ( I use my hands as a marker even though they draw from the antecubital vein on the inner elbow) weren't "puffy" enough to even bother. There's nothing worse than them digging around in your arm to try and get blood return. :nuts:

Have increased my Vit C intake and making sure I have filled bottles in the fridge and finishing them through the day :)

Good idea using your hand veins as an indicator, thank you for the suggestions. :)

I'm two years with you and still haven't read all that is posted. :)Thank you all for sharing life saving information.
My partner lost 35 kg in that time.

Hi, I had bad news from my younger sister yesterday, she said she have probably anemia or something like hashimoto she think.
The point is she started with Ketogenic diet and everything went well accept she couldn't eat so much fat. Although she drink coffee with butter eat lot of meat. She said she have no iron in storage.
I asked her to join the forum, but she is afraid( I believe) as many others, about their English writing skills.
BTW, as I remember I started to write English here in the forum.

My older sister have depressions after she started ketogenic diet, but I remember she had it before too. On the beginning they both fill great. Than trouble started. Could it be that the body undergoing some kind of cleansing and after while it is hard to stand it through? I don't really know how long they are wheat free. Maybe three months. I will ask next time we write. I'm sure I need to ask more questions about her diet. Better I ask her to make a list of things she eat frequently or on the daily basis.

What do you think? We live in two different parts of the world and have only 3 hours a day window to communicate due the time zone difference.

Kaigen said:
Hi, I had bad news from my younger sister yesterday, she said she have probably anemia or something like hashimoto she think.

She is not sure? Has she done any tests that show that that is the problem?

Kaigen said:
The point is she started with Ketogenic diet and everything went well accept she couldn't eat so much fat. Although she drink coffee with butter eat lot of meat. She said she have no iron in storage.
I asked her to join the forum, but she is afraid( I believe) as many others, about their English writing skills.
BTW, as I remember I started to write English here in the forum.

My older sister have depressions after she started ketogenic diet, but I remember she had it before too. On the beginning they both fill great. Than trouble started. Could it be that the body undergoing some kind of cleansing and after while it is hard to stand it through? I don't really know how long they are wheat free. Maybe three months. I will ask next time we write. I'm sure I need to ask more questions about her diet. Better I ask her to make a list of things she eat frequently or on the daily basis.

Well, it is hard to offer any advice if we are not sure how she follows the ketogenic diet, what she is eating on a regular basis, what kind of medical tests she has undergone and what did they show, what supplements she takes (if any), how old she is... you know, things like that. There are so many factors to consider when it comes to the physical/emotional symptoms of a person, in relation to their diet and their lifestyle.

Thank you Alana.
She went to the doctor and he said. This is anemia or hashimoto, because she have iron in the blood stream but not in the storage.
Today she got her blood test back.

Iron 164 (Normal 50- 170)
Ferritin 20 (23-110)
Hämoglobin 14,2 (12.2-15.3)
She said that Ferritin is to low thats why the anemia symptoms.

She is 38 and have three kids.

Kaigen said:
Iron 164 (Normal 50- 170)
Ferritin 20 (23-110)
Hämoglobin 14,2 (12.2-15.3)
She said that Ferritin is to low thats why the anemia symptoms.

The Hb is normal and even a bit high for a woman. This is no anemia. Ferritin is in normal range too. If she has fatigue, hair loss and other symptoms, I would look elsewhere for the root of the cause. Perhaps the following book will give some ideas:

It's official - it's mitochondria, not hypochondria!
_http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/File:CFS_book_covers.jpg

My 2 cents!

Back
Top Bottom