Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

dugdeep said:
Nienna said:
I don't need - and can't tolerate - a lot of the stuff others are putting in their bone broth. I'm only interested in the goodies gotten out of the bones anyways. So it is as simple as putting bones in a pan, filling the pan up with water and simmering.

That's the way we do it, too - just bones and water and you're off to the races. I find the broth doesn't need really long cook times, either, despite what some people recommend. Anything over 24 hours and I find it doesn't gel in the fridge. Chicken broth needs even less time; around 12 hours dies the trick.

If you have a pressure cooker it is even less time. I cook mine for 4 hours in the pressure cooker, then I open it, put some more water, salt and turmeric, and cook it for another hour. The bones are always almost completely "melted" in the end.

what an AH-HA! moment for me! I'm new here. We started changing our diet years ago. We make everything from scratch, and raise chickens and have a garden. But carbs are still in our diet!

I swear, last night I was on a weird rant about cellular respiration being intertwined with the awful concept of time we are stuck in, why everyone on this planet seems to have amnesia, and that there is something with wrong that process. (My explaination of I arrived at such a rant, may not even need further elaboration in this forum, but if someone wants to know how my brain arrives at these things, more than happy to share lol)

After reading about this ALL day and then tearing my kitchen apart, I've come to the conclusion that a carb-loaded diet is the equivalent of nuclear power plants and fossil fuel energy: it gets you energy, but only by tearing apart the natural order....which leads to entropy instead of life.

Its all about carbon somehow, I think. I know that carbon has something to do with celluar respiration and mtDNA, but I am going to need to do a serious science refresher for myself here.

Does anyone else see the relation in this natural way of our bodies creating ketone "plasma" energy with the theories of plasma energy generators and the plasma cosmology theories? I'm excited!

You might find this interesting. It is long, but worth it as it gets into a lot of issues, mainly electron transport systems in mitochondria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1278&v=yboyGPjekCU

Yupo said:
You might find this interesting. It is long, but worth it as it gets into a lot of issues, mainly electron transport systems in mitochondria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1278&v=yboyGPjekCU

Thank you! "Quantum biology" sounds like the perfect place to start :)

Rennie564 said:
Its all about carbon somehow, I think. I know that carbon has something to do with celluar respiration and mtDNA, but I am going to need to do a serious science refresher for myself here.

I think you may benefit and enjoy looking into the 'methylation' process Rennie564, if you havnt already. It is discussed here:

MTHFR mutations - https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34286.0.html

And on a SOTT health and wellness show - http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2015/07/10/health-and-wellness-show--10-july-2015--mthfr-gene-with-dr-andrew-rostenberg

Thank you for the link, will be sure to check it out. I sure wish I had paid closer attention throughout the years to DNA/anatomy topics. There is a nagging thought bothering me. "you need to learn about mitochondrial DNA, cell respiration, and carbon in cells....something to do with carbon." Usually when I have a thought bothering me like it's because somewhere along the line I have read or watched something or heard something in a passing conversation that I have forgotten (or filed away as "not important"). But instinct says it has something to do with ketones. I know if I keep reading something will trigger that memory. lol

Made bone broth in the crock pot a week ago and it was easy :rolleyes: ! I made it with 3lbs of beef marrow bones, let it simmer for about 30 hours. Really good when you add 2-3 tbs of butter and sea salt with it!

In the last couple of days I have had some brief small sharp pains in my chest accompanied with fatigue ,weakness and brain fog. I felt good both times when I first started to go low carb so I am thinking its my electrolytes are out of sync? I work outside and lately its been really hot, 100+ degree weather. Do bring salted water and potassium pills but I think I am not taking enough of it in, especially the potassium(only been taking 3/99mg a day).

Today towards the end of my shift I thought I would have to go home early(work 12 hour shifts). When I came home, I ate a big salty meal, 4 egg yolks with 4 bacon strips. Then got my potassium in with two more pills with half a avocado and some dark chocolate. Plus magnesium. Feel quite better so I think its my electrolytes, at least I hope so!

I keep thinking that drinking salted water is not a good way to supplement for sodium because I rarely hear people in the Keto community do it. I usually take a quarter of a teaspoon in a big glass of water, two to three times a day. As long it does not cause diarrhea or any other discomfort it should be fine right?

Also I am having a hard time finding pastured meat and bones so I am using factory farmed meat most of the time. I have read in one of the DOT mag articles that since the animals have eaten gluten grains it can be possibly a source of gluten contamination. Is that plausible? If it is than then I gotta fine pastured meat ASAP!

AD said:
Also I am having a hard time finding pastured meat and bones so I am using factory farmed meat most of the time. I have read in one of the DOT mag articles that since the animals have eaten gluten grains it can be possibly a source of gluten contamination. Is that plausible? If it is than then I gotta fine pastured meat ASAP!

I don't think it's about gluten contamination per se, but rather that the quality of the meat is low: the animals don't get the required nutrition, and you'll have the wrong ratio of omega-6 vs omega-3 fatty acids in the meat, which leads to inflammation. Further, with factory farmed animals you can be pretty sure that they're being fed with GMO's.
So if you can afford it, pastured meat is always the best choice.

Rennie564 said:
Thank you for the link, will be sure to check it out. I sure wish I had paid closer attention throughout the years to DNA/anatomy topics. There is a nagging thought bothering me. "you need to learn about mitochondrial DNA, cell respiration, and carbon in cells....something to do with carbon." Usually when I have a thought bothering me like it's because somewhere along the line I have read or watched something or heard something in a passing conversation that I have forgotten (or filed away as "not important"). But instinct says it has something to do with ketones. I know if I keep reading something will trigger that memory. lol

There's a great, comprehensive paper on the topic posted several times in this thread. Let me see if I can find it and attach it here.

Attachments

• mitochondrial-energetics-douglas-c-wallace(1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Aiming said:
AD said:

I don't think it's about gluten contamination per se, but rather that the quality of the meat is low: the animals don't get the required nutrition, and you'll have the wrong ratio of omega-6 vs omega-3 fatty acids in the meat, which leads to inflammation. Further, with factory farmed animals you can be pretty sure that they're being fed with GMO's.

If you can't afford it, just make do as best you can and supplement with fish oils, etc.

Laura said:
Aiming said:

If you can't afford it, just make do as best you can and supplement with fish oils, etc.

Also, if you are lucky enough to live outside of the good old USA, the quality of supermarket meat will be somewhat better. Particularly in the UK and other areas, sheep and cows are generally part or mostly 'grass fed' because they stand around on grass most of the time.

Carl said:
Laura said:
Aiming said:

Also, if you are lucky enough to live outside of the good old USA, the quality of supermarket meat will be somewhat better. Particularly in the UK and other areas, sheep and cows are generally part or mostly 'grass fed' because they stand around on grass most of the time.

I see, I will try to find some. I do get organic eggs and grass fed ground beef.

Carl, I do live in Amerika :/

Should have added that I am around at 70-100grams of carbs a day. On the sodium note, I think MS propaganda has gotten to me. Keep worrying about overdoing it with the salt but from what I read hypernatremia is rare from excessive salt intake itself, much more likely to occur if you are dehydrated. Instead of drinking 2-3 glasses of water with quarter of teaspoon of salt a day. I will get it from more broth and salting my food better and bacon! :)

I still had some chest aches, palpation's and sluggishness even though I stayed on top of taking in water and electrolytes. I also take L carnitine and digestive support. But whenever I check my BP and pulse it is good, 120/80-75. I think my body is just trying to reset itself, have noticed changes in the body that indicate hormonal changes. Will be patient and give it more time.

Thank you for the help.

I agree with Laura. If you have a really hard time sourcing grass-fed, then just supplement the omega 3's - i.e. fishoil/krill oil, etc. By the way, if you want to get into ketosis, it's unlikely to happen if you don't go below 50 grams of net carbs per day and up your fat intake to keep your total calories the same. Ideally, if you want to go keto and stay there, you should shoot to get 75 to 85 % of your daily calories from fat. Good luck with the adventures.

Laura said:
Aiming said:
AD said:

Chris Kresser provides some good information on fish oils.

We can draw two conclusions from these studies:

EPA, and especially DHA, is much better absorbed from fish than fish oil. The effect may be as great as nine-fold. This means that we would need nine times less DHA from fish to obtain the same amount of DHA from fish oil. Put another way, we’d need nine times more DHA from fish oil to obtain the same amount of DHA from fish. So, using the 6 oz. portion of salmon as an example, with 1.1g of DHA, we would need to take 9.9g of DHA from fish oil – roughly 36 capsules/day of the Jarrow Max DHA – to obtain the same amount of DHA we’d get from the salmon. That’s a lot of fish oil!

On the other hand, taking fish oil capsules with a high-fat meal can greatly improve their absorption, to the point where they may be on par with whole fish. (I say “may be” because the scientific literature is mixed on this.) This is likely due to the effect described above, where the presence of other fats activates the body’s fat absorption mechanisms.

http://chriskresser.com/the-fish-vs-fish-oil-smackdown/

I've read (sorry can't remember where) that fish oils are better bought in the winter time and stored in the refrigerator. Since fish oil is sourced from cold water fish it only makes sense that you don't want it to get too hot, hence buying it in the wintertime since you don't want fish oil that's been sitting around in a hot warehouse and shipped to you in a hot truck. The bottle and capsules should be dark to protect them from light.

Funny keto story:

A few days ago I went for an eye exam, as I haven't had one in over two years. It was a new office (I'd moved since my last exam) so I had to fill out all the intake forms they need to create a file. I'm going through, happily checking a blanket 'no' to the looooong list of things that can go wrong, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure etc. I also left the question 'what medications are you taking?' blank. I bring it back up to the gal at the desk, who scans through it, and says, "You forgot the medication list."

Me: "I'm not on any medication."
[crickets]
Gal: "Really?"
Me: "Yes, really."
Gal: "That's very unusual."

Later on in the exam room the eye guy runs through the chart, then goes to the exam room door and calls down to the receptionist, "Do you have the drug list up there?" I started to giggle, then repeated that I don't take any kind of medication (haven't started the amoeba protocol yet). He was also surprised, as it seems to be automatically assumed that anyone in their late '50s must be on something. I mentioned that I followed a high-fat, low-carb diet, and that seemed to keep me quite healthy. It turned out that he had heard of such a thing, had tried Atkins a couple of years before, but while he lost weight, he didn't feel good on it after a while. We ended up having a nice conversation about the limitations of Atkins, and how to follow low-carb properly. I gave him a list of the big three (Primal Body, Art and Science, Keto-Adapted), and for jollies, threw in Vegetarian Myth. I'll be picking up my new prescription in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll have actually looked into it!

Back
Top Bottom