'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

It's his work, his deal and he's entitled to protect it. Seems that he's learning some things about pathology, ponerology, etc. And it's worse because of the field he has chosen. Hopefully, he'll settle down after he gets over his PTSD. Otherwise, he'll do like so many others: get run off the rails with paranoia.

Laura said:
Otherwise, he'll do like so many others: get run off the rails with paranoia.

I hope he can avoid that. If getting his FB group back helps him feel a bit better, then great. If he can't deal with the stress being put on him...it is likely to effect his public relations pretty negatively.

kalibex said:
Laura said:
Otherwise, he'll do like so many others: get run off the rails with paranoia.

I hope he can avoid that. If getting his FB group back helps him feel a bit better, then great. If he can't deal with the stress being put on him...it is likely to effect his public relations pretty negatively.

Maybe someone might suggest he read Hare and Lobaczewski.

kalibex said:
hlat said:
The old group and old rules are gone after the hijack.

Except...these rules were the new, re-created version of the group's rules that were consensus-voted on, because he hadn't contacted any of us and we couldn't assume he ever would, so we figured we'd better go ahead and...

I apologize for misunderstanding the rules you refer to. I still am confused by these rules.

If you are saying that new rules were created without his approval, then I wouldn't expect him to follow those rules.

My impression is that you were involved in creating these new rules and he was not. Then once he took control of the group, he decided not to go by the new rules, and you are offended by that decision.

kalibex said:
there's people who swear they weren't disrespecting him (that they could see), that they were actually posting something in support of Paulides, and yet ended up blocked by him.

If you really wanted to figure this out, you'd need to get the actual posts and not rely on the poster's characterization of their own posts. Even if someone means well and doesn't intend to harm, a post may come out in a way that is hurtful or offensive.

At least with this current hijacking, I haven't seen any problem with his actions, based on what you've described. I know that you are offended, though from my perspective I don't see a cause for you to be offended or I don't see how it is reasonable for you to be offended.

Just started listening to another recent (8-13-16) David Paulides interview also re his most recent 411 Missing book, Hunters Unexplained Disappearances. It's a 2 parter w/ each just under one hour; pt 2 dated 8-20-16:

Pt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLJtKWVzk0

Pt 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArfL5jCAEEs

It'll be interesting if he brings up having a FB page/group and controversy associated w/ it.

JEEP said:
Just started listening to another recent (8-13-16) David Paulides interview also re his most recent 411 Missing book, Hunters Unexplained Disappearances. It's a 2 parter w/ each just under one hour; pt 2 dated 8-20-16:

Pt 1

Pt 2

It'll be interesting if he brings up having a FB page/group and controversy associated w/ it.

At 54:52 of Pt 2 David says he has 4700 friends on FB w/ people always sending him things he's never heard of but are right on the money - that was the only reference.

JEEP said:
Pt 2

David said, "It's obviously not a human involved here..." at 42:27.

I'm surprised he made this statement since he usually doesn't give his theories about the disappearances.

hlat said:
JEEP said:
Pt 2

David said, "It's obviously not a human involved here..." at 42:27.

I'm surprised he made this statement since he usually doesn't give his theories about the disappearances.

Concluding that is just good rational detective work. I don't consider it speculation all that much, but it would if he said what the possible cause might be.

I think it's a good approach to let the public know that it's painfully obvious that humans are not involved in such missing cases

Disclosure of our hyper dimensional reality has to start somewhere.

bjorn said:
I think it's a good approach to let the public know that it's painfully obvious that humans are not involved in such missing cases

Disclosure of our hyper dimensional reality has to start somewhere.

Yes; the unexplained disappearance phenomenon could be the 'entry drug', to the larger reality, so to speak, for a lot of people....

kalibex said:
Within a day she had publicized a couple of her books which she'd switched to free on Amazon.

What?! That is so blatantly trying to take revenue away from David Paulides. And it also shows, literally, how worthless her plagiarized versions are.

Reminds me of that old story of King Solomon and the two women arguing over a baby. The one who was not the true mother agreed to let the baby be killed - it was nothing to her.

JEEP said:

Pt 1

Caught part one and a couple of things came to mind as factors, or at least David infers. One was boulder fields and granite rock as place involved with the missing. David speaks of fairies and little people, which reminded me of the book 'A Trojan Feast' by Cutchin. Paulides goes on to talk about people being found mostly face down, and there is never mention of dirt/debris in the noses or mouth, so its more in line with them being placed that way, although it is not elaborated on. He talks about hypothermia often described as causation by autopsy, although these people were sometimes found unclothed.

As an aside, and going back to a prior interview; and would have to suss this out to find the exact one above, someone asked David a question at the end. They asked him if in all the cases presented has there ever been a man with a beard missing? Thought it was an interesting question and David said, no, I can think of not one, or something like that.

Back to this video whereby David discusses the case of Bobbie Boatman (this video talk is about hunters) and how he went missing and was found. He spends a great deal of time speaking about the aspect of being buried under a tree and how his gun was 100 yards away (this was all discovered 5 years after his disappearance) along with a rope belt he had and a knife sheaf found far away on a sand bar (not said was how far).

Concerning the tree and the hole among the roots, and there were bones scattered around he said, when he told the story and said how difficult it was to dig a hole, in reality this is nothing for a grizzly bear, they in fact do this often - excavate big ones. They will kill a very large animal (elk, moose) and bury it whole, not eat it, only coming back for it later (days or even a week later), which is one possible reason no one initially found Bobbie with all the snow that came in to cover it all up. As for the rope belt and sheaf, and this sounds horrible, a bear like this (perhaps two bears), if that is what it was, can drag a dismembered animal body a long long way, perhaps a single bear or two came back and after eating pulled him out of the snow to a lower elevation - the sand bar area or upstream of this with the rope and belt only washing up the next year or some years later.

Around my area I know of two men who were taken out by two grizzlies while hunting. In this case a warden found the site and killed the bears. However, in this case the guns were leaned up against a tree undisturbed, and that is how fast it can happen with bears.

Anyway, I don't know, the evidence is unclear from only an interview, it is just what appeared as an alternate explanation in this case while listening to what was said.

David started to mention a Donald McDonald (if I got that right) as being similar case to that of to Bobbie, yet he does not say anything about it.

Paulides talks about Larry (did not grab the last name) and how no one could find him after he went missing from his hunting group. There was a mass search, and in the end it was a psychic who honed in on where he might be (a swamp), and that was confirmed by a trapper who recognized the area by the psychic's drawing and who lead searchers to the very spot. That was an interesting outcome.

Thanks for the links.

Concerning the tree and the hole among the roots, and there were bones scattered around he said, when he told the story and said how difficult it was to dig a hole, in reality this is nothing for a grizzly bear, they in fact do this often - excavate big ones. They will kill a very large animal (elk, moose) and bury it whole, not eat it, only coming back for it later (days or even a week later), which is one possible reason no one initially found Bobbie with all the snow that came in to cover it all up. As for the rope belt and sheaf, and this sounds horrible, a bear like this (perhaps two bears), if that is what it was, can drag a dismembered animal body a long long way, perhaps a single bear or two came back and after eating pulled him out of the snow to a lower elevation - the sand bar area or upstream of this with the rope and belt only washing up the next year or some years later.

From what I've read from this site (http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2005958), bears will cover and may dig some to hide a kill. But excavating a hole to hide food might be unnecessary considering they (the bears) don't roam to far from a kill. Do to competing animal predation and or scavenging.

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/index.shtml
Teaching you about the habits, biology, and how to hunt coyotes, bobcats, fox, mountain lion, and a few varmints thrown in for good measure is what Predator Masters is all about. We welcome you to the largest Predator Education website on the Internet, Predator Masters, where the hunters become the hunted. We have the largest predator hunting educational forum on the World Wide Web. We've exceeded 47,000 registered members at a lightning quick pace. Within these pages, you'll find information pertaining to coyotes, bobcats, foxes and even the largest meat eating predators, mountain lion and bears. Our moderators on the forum are some of the leading predator hunters found in the country, offering advice on every aspect of predators and predator hunting.

littletoes
Die Hard Member II
Loc: Upper NE Corner of Washington ...
Didn't give it much thought, but while bear hunting, I hit one of my "secret" spots, and ran into a dead deer that had been fed on, and then buried with debri. Around this animal were a few trees that have been clawed on.
bearscratch1.jpg

Didn't think to take any pics of the deer, but the torn up trees did interest me (I was thinking "bear", not biology!).

PM senior
Loc: nowheresville
One of my Bro's use to be an OR tech for many yrs. They had a female patient that was jogging along a mountain trail. Grizzley attacked her & fed on her some. Then buried her under some brush off the edge of the trail.
Husband searched the same trail later that day & found his wife still barely alive. Woman lived but required numerous follow-up surgeries.

tripod3
PM senior
Loc: WA
We have had bears cover gut piles less than a hundred feet from the house while the bear has bedded less than a hundred yards from the house.
Quote:
After an animal is killed, black bears will typically open the body cavity and remove the internal organs. The liver and other vital organs are eaten first, followed by the hindquarters. Udders of lactating females are also preferred. When a bear makes a kill, it usually returns to the site at dusk. Bears prefer to feed alone. If an animal is killed in the open, the bear may drag it into the woods or brush and cover the remains with leaves, grass, soil, and forest debris. The bear will periodically return to this cache site to feed on the decomposing carcass.

littletoes
Die Hard Member II
Loc: Upper NE Corner of Washington ...
AWSOME!
bearclawsII-1.jpg

Thanks Tripod3, I just knew it had to be, there was just way too much bear sign around that kill.
Here's another bit of info, the deer was a buck and looked healthy. How it came to be in such a "rough" spot, I just don't know (tons of dead falls, and debri).

Here's another pic if anyone cares to see;

Loc: ND/FL - USA
Originally Posted By: littletoes
Well, we know grizz will bury their uneaten food, but can we make the stretch that black bears will do the the same thing??

Absolutely... have seen numerous kills back in the days when range cows still roamed the woods. And, in virtually every case the bear would attempt to cover the carcass with Palmettos fronds, bushes, tree limbs, pine straw, dirt... you name it. They'd be gone a day or so until they got hungry again, then they'd return.

I saw one instance where the bear killed a cow on the hill, picked the cow up and walked with it, (we're talking probably 600 - 800 pounds, Florida range cows aren't big critters), before dropping it and dragging it in the swamp. Total distance covered, nearly 400 yards, before dragging it up on a tussock and covering it.

No stretch there at all dude! A black bear will most definitely cover a kill.

Back to this video whereby David discusses the case of Bobbie Boatman (this video talk is about hunters) and how he went missing and was found. He spends a great deal of time speaking about the aspect of being buried under a tree and how his gun was 100 yards away (this was all discovered 5 years after his disappearance) along with a rope belt he had and a knife sheaf found far away on a sand bar (not said was how far).

I might be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it indicated that the belt was neatly rolled up as by a human (human type) - a bear couldn't/wouldn't do that. I'm thinking the distance away was considerable as well. There wasn't any indication that the belt & knife might have been the leftovers from the possibly dragged away body part that subsequently decomposed or was completely eaten w/ no biological traces left behind. I don't recall if a complete body/skeleton was unearthed. Also, my thought re the body buried beneath the tree was that the area directly under a tree is full of roots, usually thick ones, that would make it extremely difficult to excavate a hole large enough for a body. Wouldn't a bear pick an easier spot? I guess the devil is in the details & these interviews don't always give a full enough account or precise picture of the discovery to always rule out the usual suspects. My 2 cents.

Great session on the subject of Attack
Compact lettering: Recommend the read via the link. ;)

Session 12 September 1995
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34877.msg495854.html#msg495854
Frank and Laura
Q: Hello.
A: Hi!
Q: (L) Who do we have with us this evening?
A: Decorra.
Q: (L) And where are you from, Decorra?
A: Cassiopaea.
Q: (L) OK, now, it's been a while since we've done this on the board, and I have several questions that are pretty important that I want to ask. Are you open for questions this evening?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) First of all, do Frank or I at the present time have any attachments of a negative nature?
A: No.
Q: (L) Do we have any attachments at all?
A: Variable.
Q: (L) Does that mean they come and go, or they can come and go?
A: Yes to question 2.
Q: (L) OK, yes to question 2. OK, now, there are several new people who have contacted me and want me to do various things for them. In many respects it looks like a very positive involvement, but there have been some very strange things that have happened, and I have been handling them the best way I know how. Can we ask some questions about this situation and how I've handled it so far?
Q: (L) The first thing is, Roxanne C__. Roxanne has basically got some really good ideas, but I think she's got something blocking her from perceiving what is truly going on. She wants so badly to believe in the fairy tales that she ends up mixing things together in an emotional attempt to deal with it all. This is fine, as far as I am concerned, but anybody who can't look at their own "stuff" is extremely hard for me to deal with. What is the story here?
A: All involved are portals, beware!!
Q: (L) Do you mean beware as in maybe I should just walk away from this group?
A: Up to you.
Q: (L) OK, my instincts...
A: Remember where was initial link?
Q: (L) Initial link? At MUFON?
A: Who?
Q: (L) Martie T__'s?
Q: (L) OK..
A: Aura field is uniform.
Q: (L) Whose aura field is uniform?
A: All in question, do you not see similarities in your personality profiles reading? Examine, review and reflect!
Q: (L) Come on Frank, ask some questions here. Help me out! Personality profile? Well, that's of the different people involved...
A: Similarities?
Q: (L) Do you mean similarities between the people involved in that group?
A: Aural field reads as identical.
Q: (L) And are their personality profiles and aura readings different from, say, mine and Frank's?
A: What do you think?
Q: (L) What do you think, Frank? (F) I don't know what they are talking about. (L) Well, they're talking about profiles, aural profiles, I guess that's a way of reading a person. (F) Yes, but I... (L) Well, does that mean that Frank and I are so different that there's nobody that we can interact with?
A: Did we say that?
Q: (L) Of course not. OK, so in other words this is a mine-field and we really have to tread carefully through it, is that it?
A: You have been warned, how you proceed from here is up to you.
Q: (L) Does this guy Barry, who keeps wanting me to commit to some kind of deal with him, and who keeps saying he is going to do this and that, is he?
A: The answer to that is easily discernible.
Q: (L) The answer to that is easily discernible? Well, it's hard for us to... I mean, he could be just a Howard Hughes kind of guy! Easily discernible.....In other words, what you see on the surface... would that be what they would mean? Easily discernible....
A: Ask him directly!
Q: (F) You may if you desire... I don't want to! (L) What is Martie after in this whole interaction?
A: $$$$$$$$$
Q: (F): Well, why don't they just say 'Money'? (L) They like to be creative.
A: Mirth.
Q: (L) Gotta have mirth, Frank! What does Barry want out of this whole interaction?
A: To be liked and needed.
Q: (L) What does Roxanne want out of this whole interaction? [Laughter from Frank, response not verbalized]
A: The same as Martie T___.
Q: (L) What does Frank want out of this whole interaction, including the newsletter?
A: Ask him, he is here.
Q: (F) What do I want? I haven't a clue! (L) What do I want out of all this interaction?... read my deepest, darkest recesses!
A: You see the newsletter as a mode of transport to fulfillment of your goals.
Q: (L) And what are my goals?
A: To be the leader of your cause.
Q: (F) Is that true? (L) Maybe. Remembering, of course, that my primary drive is to get the Cassiopaean material out there and 'save the world,' so to speak. (F) Ask them if it will work. (L) Will it work?
A: Open.
Q: (L) So Martie wants money, Barry wants to be liked and loved and needed. (F) That makes sense. (L) And, is it true that I can utilize the wants and needs of these people to create a vehicle for the cause of dispensing knowledge?
A: But will the "vehicle" ever break down, or "get stuck in the mud". [Laura's note: As events turned out, the whole situation turned very ugly with various persons attacking others and I opted to step out of it and decline the editorship of the newsletter, the lectures I was asked to give, and a whole bunch of other stuff.]
Q: (L) Should I just get in touch with this publisher that Roxanne knows and just deal with putting the material out in book form?
A: Would not that be: 1) more direct 2) less cumbersome, and 3) less fraught with potential danger?
Q: (L) OK, so getting the material out in book form is...
A: We answered thusly because you thought for yourself.
Q: (L) Is giving the lectures, as I've planned to give this lecture about my personal experience, this is not so much about the material, a good way to promote the Cassiopaean material and a good way to get out and do things?
A: Lecture?
Q: (L) Well, you know, the talk I'm going to give on Saturday night at the Earth Angels Bookstore, where I'm going to talk to these people about whatever is... basically about our experiences, about synchronicity and the coming of the...
A: Well intentioned crowd, but open to deceptive attack.
Q: (L) Should I cancel this lecture?
A: Up to you. [Laura's note: I did cancel the lecture after I saw the way the people involved were interacting.]
Q: (L) Approximately how many people would show up if I don't cancel?
A: 15.
Q: (L) Fifteen people. Well, it's not worth being attacked for, is it? (F) I don't know if I would cancel at this point, I'd say up to you, but, my gut instinct is that it's not going to do anything. (L) Don't waste my time? (F) Well, isn't she [Martie] getting these people to pay her money? (L) Uhuh. (F) Well, then that's what the sum total probably of what you'll get out of it. (L) Yeah, and I only get a third of it, and she's letting some people in free. (L) Has Frank assessed this person Barry in a correct way?
A: See what happens when we plant the seed, then encourage you to "Till the soil?"
Q: (L) So Barry is basically living on his credit, is that it?
A: Open
Q: (L) Well, it's not right for Roxanne to be constantly asking him for money. He is probably giving to her on his credit! How much in debt is he right now?
A: Not your concern. Look, listen, learn.
Q: (L) Well, I think.. I don't want to waste my time with these people then. They are all just playing games with each other. (F) I agree. It's a shame, but it's another deception, which is a form of attack. Leads you down the primrose path to get you all tangled up, to slow down the progress. And apparently it was an excellent idea when you said just contact the publisher and go down that pathway. (L) OK, now, let's ask real quick, this David Hudson tape, about what he calls the Philosopher's Stone. What is this substance that David Hudson has discovered? We watched the video about it; I'm sure you guys watched it with us, so, what is this stuff?
A: Watch developments there only from a distance.
Q: (L) Is taking this substance [monoatomic gold] as he is talking about, is it dangerous, as I kind of think it is?
A: Possibly.
Q: (L) So, in other words, I should not get involved in that, either?
A: Up to you.
Q: (L) I know it's up to me, but you said to watch it from a distance, so I'm assuming that is a clue...
Q: (L) OK, my feeling is that there is some negative energy behind that, even though he is trying to be a positive person and do positive things, and that...
A: This is often true!
Q: (L) I think that taking something like that to transform your consciousness without doing the work or having it occur naturally is black magic. That's what I think. (F) It's too easy... (L) I think trying to initiate yourself ... (F) I read over the years bits and pieces from various different sources that all the things he described in there are possible for those who are willing to sacrifice, to us would appear to be an extreme extent ethereal and spiritual level, such as some of those in India, and all that... (L) I don't think you even have to sacrifice so much as have the desire and the natural destiny and ..... (F) Well, did Jesus take this gold powder? (L) Did Jesus take this powder?
A: No.
Q: (L) Did Adolph Hitler take this kind of powder, or something similar?
Q: (F): That paints a rather bleak picture, doesn't it? (L) Could this powder be utilized to transform a person to a very positive entity doing great good? I just don't think it's right.
A: Or could it be utilized to transform an entire race of beings into hypnotic submission !!!!!!!!!!!
Q: (F): Wow! (L) Put it in the water. (F) Or even just advertise it as the "Manna from Heaven" and get the biggest corporations in the world to ... I mean, you know that if this guy were not meant to spread this stuff all around, by now he'd be running into roadblocks, you wouldn't be allowed to get tapes like that. That was one thing I was suspicious of, like why he hasn't even been stopped, if it's really as wonderful as... I mean it just doesn't fit. Anything that's really, really good, and it's going to go against the... remember who runs this world, and has for 309 thousand years, are they just going to sit back and say "Oh, yeah, we'll just let this gold powder get spread round everywhere, and get totally defeated," just like that? I don't think so! (L) Oh, that's a scary thought! Boy, I'm sure glad you guys are out there!
A: Okay.
Q: (L) Holy Frijoles! Well, I guess, unless you have .... Do you have something you would like to tell us or communicate to us at the present time?
A: Reflect upon messages received and goodbye.
{Discussion follows] (L) Thank you very much.
(F) Once you progress to the level of enlightenment, and you are no longer in these bodies, you don't need orgasm, do you?
(L) I guess not.
(F): And if it's not an orgasm, then why call it an orgasm. I mean, he's saying, "Oh, it's not the same thing, it's wonderful, it feels the same...it's more pure," and all that...
(L) Right.
(F): BS! I don't buy that. I don't buy it.
(L) I don't buy into the Keys of Enoch stuff either because he starts off right away with talking about the guilt thing...
(F) Naughty, naughty...
(L) and the bad guys have to be transformed. I mean, they just can't deal with the fact that that's the way it is, and it's got to be that way, all the way up, all the way through, all the way around, forever. Dark, Light.
(F) Right.
(L) That's it.
(F) Now, JD doesn't seem to have a problem about that. Nobody had a problem understanding that, but somehow they all thought this was of the light, but I just don't buy the idea that all you have to do is drink this powder, or eat this powder, and you are going to become light beings, and you're going to bi-locate, and all these wonderful things, and just walk on water, and all that. It just doesn't add up. You know , that's, once again, it's a short-cut. And there are no short cuts. End of Session
End of Session

David Paulides - Missing Persons & Strange Disappearances with David Paulides
David Paulides
Published on Aug 29, 2016

https://youtu.be/yaOe2F5qC8w
David Paulides is a writer, researcher, and investigative journalist notable primarily for his authorship on missing people: the subject of mysterious disappearances in national parks, and also in urban areas as in his more recent books. Paulides has drawn significant national attention and has been featured on numerous radio shows as well as television interviews and prime time newscasts.[1]
Playlist all videos :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdnj9...

Upcoming Events

The CanAm Missing Project will be making public appearances in conjunction with book releases and SAR strategy. The following is a list of upcoming events.
http://www.canammissing.com/upcoming_events.html

Phoenix Mufon September 17, 2016
http://www.phoenixmufon.com/welcome.html
Phoenix.jpg

Chicago Ghost Con8 October 7-9, Chicago, IL
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoGhostConference
12718275_1132770796756451_1485687001697137713_n.jpg

Albuquerque Paranormal Group October 16
http://event.nmupf.org/

MUFON Philadelphia Conference Oct 28-29, 2016
http://mufonpa.com/wp1/?page_id=599
MUFON_Front_Philly2016S.jpg

c.a. said:

From what I've read from this site (http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2005958), bears will cover and may dig some to hide a kill. But excavating a hole to hide food might be unnecessary considering they (the bears) don't roam to far from a kill. Do to competing animal predation and or scavenging.

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/index.shtml
Teaching you about the habits, biology, and how to hunt coyotes, bobcats, fox, mountain lion, and a few varmints thrown in for good measure is what Predator Masters is all about. We welcome you to the largest Predator Education website on the Internet, Predator Masters, where the hunters become the hunted. We have the largest predator hunting educational forum on the World Wide Web. We've exceeded 47,000 registered members at a lightning quick pace. Within these pages, you'll find information pertaining to coyotes, bobcats, foxes and even the largest meat eating predators, mountain lion and bears. Our moderators on the forum are some of the leading predator hunters found in the country, offering advice on every aspect of predators and predator hunting.

Well indeed, without having more data, it's a weak hypothesis based on what he said and what I've observed of their habitats in the Rocky Mountains and of their kills. As for digging, they can dig a large bed for an animal to be buried while it bloats and rots ( a moose is a big animal), and you are correct in that they don't wander to far off from their kill as a general rule. As for digging, in the sense of what David described, and again they can easily dig a hole against a tree, was perhaps this hole was assumed to be associated with Bobbie's unfortunate end (cause David I don't think really said he was buried, just that their were bones and a hole was present) is that it may have been the bears den. As example:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cariboo/env_stewardship/ecosystems/central_coast/reports/grizz_bear/midcoast_gb_whf_april22v8_partee.pdf

Although grizzly bears sometimes use a natural cavity such as a hollow tree or log, rock crevices, or natural caves for denning, they generally dig their own dens. Some grizzly bears dig dens in alpine and subalpine slopes (Demarchi and Johnson 2000). Many researchers have found that denning under the roots of trees was typical for coastal grizzly bear populations (MacHutchon et al. 993; Schoen et al. 1987; S. Himmerunpubl. data and A. Hamilton pers. comm.); this has also
been described in other areas (Craighead and Craighead 1972; Judd et al. 1986). Tree root den site selection by bears is likely based more on den structure, rather than on a particular tree species. Occasionally, a grizzly bear may excavate a den entirely within a snow bank (Lentferet al. 1972). While some dens are used for more than one season, most bears probably excavate a new den or re-excavate an existing older den each year (MacHutchon et al. 1993).
[...]
The large front claws of grizzly bears are highly adapted for digging (Figure 1) and are crucial to the excavation of dens under the roots of large trees or on alpine/subalpine slopes. Grizzly bear dens have three main structural features: an entrance, a tunnel, and a chamber. Sizes of dens and den features vary greatly and may be contingent on site conditions more than anything else. However, the size of the den entrance is usually about 75 cm in diameter and the chamber may be roughly 150 – 225 cm in diameter with a height of 125 cm.
[...]
Often the roof may have collapsed making the den unusable; in some cases upon closer inspection it may be determined that the excavation may have only been a test digging and was never used as a den; however, in both cases other active dens may be in the vicinity (i.e. within a 100m radius) and further searching may be warranted.

Again, just hypothesis based on the minute data that David gave.

JEEP said:

I might be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it indicated that the belt was neatly rolled up as by a human (human type) - a bear couldn't/wouldn't do that. I'm thinking the distance away was considerable as well. There wasn't any indication that the belt & knife might have been the leftovers from the possibly dragged away body part that subsequently decomposed or was completely eaten w/ no biological traces left behind. I don't recall if a complete body/skeleton was unearthed. Also, my thought re the body buried beneath the tree was that the area directly under a tree is full of roots, usually thick ones, that would make it extremely difficult to excavate a hole large enough for a body. Wouldn't a bear pick an easier spot? I guess the devil is in the details & these interviews don't always give a full enough account or precise picture of the discovery to always rule out the usual suspects. My 2 cents.

If the belt was rolled up, was it the actions of water washing it up, tumbling it up upon the sand bar; can't know for sure. The distance away of these items may have been considerable in relative terms, yet it is not defined by David. As for the knife mentioned, think he said sheaf, so the knife must have dropped out and was never found. As for dragging the body, it might have been just a small part of a body with the belt/sheaf affixed to parts of entangled clothing, it might have even been from a different animal altogether, and five years later would erase biological traces, osit. From how David described it, it sounds like there were just bones lying around, no skeleton and no skull was mentioned (maybe it's in his book). I agree with you concerning a possible burial scenario against the tree, and as said above, my thoughts have turned to a den or a trial den as being more likely. If the hunter was present while the bear was in the area of its old den, a new den, or even a trial den dig; its possible, then this encounter might have been a reality. Your last bold part is exactly correct. Any new information from the book might offer more contrast.

Back
Top Bottom