Emotion Regulation Deficits as Mediators Between Trauma Exposure and Borderline

The following caught my eye today. Although writtern by someone with BPD, I think it can apply to everyone who is emotionally sensitive.
I can certainly relate to needing to train my pre-frontal cortex in the art of emotional regulation.

http://farewelltodaylight.com/2014/08/25/sink-or-swim/
I'm drowning,
and you're standing three feet away
screaming "learn how to swim." (c.j.)​

Sink or Swim

This blurb speaks to the plight of all those who suffer from mental illness. It is evocative of the misunderstanding that many of those in the neurotypical population have towards our burdens. I am saddened thinking about the number of times in my life I have been told to “snap out of it”, “grow up”, or “get it together”. If I could, I most certainly would but this is my reality: I have borderline personality disorder. The physical parts of my brain required to do such a thing as spontaneously and expeditiously “grow up” are incapable of performing such a function as they are. In the case of BPD, the issue is not merely chemical imbalance. The problem is the functional connectivity and activation levels in certain regions of the brain.

There are two emotional systems in the brain. There is a lower level system that generates our basic and more primal emotion (the limbic system) and then there is a higher level system that regulates and details emotion (the cingulate gyrus and the prefrontal cortex). This is the current understanding, anyways. Our brain is unique from most other organs in that its physical development is highly affected by the environment. Sure, the environment affects all of our body’s organs, but not so much as the brain. In the brain, everything that we do, every decision that we make, every thing that we learn and forget changes the topography and physical connectivity. In this sense, the brain can be thought of as one of those interactive story books. The decisions you make for the characters at critical parts of the book influence the story’s outcome.

There is also something else, which I have brought up before, and that is biosocial theory. This theory postulates that the brain is so interactive that the way we interact with our environments and they way they interact back with us affects the brain’s physical development. This is key to understanding the etiology of borderline personality disorder. Numerous studies have shown that those with BPD have deficits in PFC activation during activities requiring emotional regulation. The functions of the frontal cortex include: planning complex cognitive behavior, personality expression, decision-making, and moderating social behavior. Collectively, these are called a person’s executive function. Also, along these lines, it is thought that the frontal lobe is key to emotional regulation. Remember those two emotional systems mentioned earlier? Well, unless we get the proper input as children (a nurturing and emotionally validating environment) certain areas in the frontal cortex never get activated. The brains is and its function is very much like most skills in life, you don’t use it you lose it. Or in this case, you never develop it.

Without that key input, the frontal circuits never develop properly. They need to be activated to develop because “neurons that fire together wire together”. Because of this, when those developing BPD reach their teenage years and adulthood their PFCs cannot control the lower level primordial emotional system because it never got exercised when they were children. One of the roles of an attachment figure or a parent is to teach is, inadvertently, the way to properly express emotion. We learn this by observing their own emotional expression as well as receiving feedback about our own. We may be jumping for joy and knocking things over and we are then told that this is inappropriate. Or we may be sad and cry and we are taught that its ok to be sad but its not ok to neglect our responsibilities. This is emotional validation and learning. Without this critical input from our environments, the lower level system is allowed to run rampant. If we grow up in abusive or emotionally invalidating environments, as we get older our emotions become more intense because the brain WANTS them to be validated because it WANTS to develop the way that our natural genetic code says that it should. Thus, as invalidation continues the emotional experience and expression strengthens to a pathological level to compensate.

Having an intelligent and working explanation for the way BPD, and perhaps other mental illnesses, develop is all well and good but the picture is still pretty grim until we learn another fact about the beautiful organ that is the human brain. This is a concept called neuroplasticity. By willfully engaging in certain activities instead of others we activate specific areas of the brain over other. It follows that if one does things to activate the prefrontal cortex, the PFC circuits will start to develop themselves. In this way, one can literally rewire ones own brain. It turns out, practicing exercises of mindfulness like the ones taught in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy activate and strengthen the PFC circuits. Remember that “neurons that fire together wire together”. As time goes by and the techniques are practiced the PFC becomes more easily activated as the neural circuits are developed. This is exactly why we see the emotional regulatory abilities of those who go through intensive DBT programs improve so drastically, often to the point of remission if persistent. The key is, it takes time and it take practice.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for those with BPD to engage in the activities required to do this neural rewiring. Certainly not impossible, otherwise people would never recover from BPD and they do. Just difficult. That is why it is not as easy as “getting it together” or “growing up”. There is no switch that we can flip to suddenly be different than we are. We did not choose to be this way, if we could have most of us would have chosen otherwise. Yet, not only must we live with our own suffering as well as the suffering we create around us, we must also live with the stigma against us and chronic misunderstanding of what our illness really is. We are a product of our genes and our environment. It’s not nature vs. nurture it is nature AND nurture. BPD is a disorder in which its development is set into motion long before we have reliable conscious control of our actions by factors which we have NO control over. So, why should we be judged as harshly as we are? It is beyond me and it needs to change.

RedFox said:
The following caught my eye today. Although writtern by someone with BPD, I think it can apply to everyone who is emotionally sensitive.
I can certainly relate to needing to train my pre-frontal cortex in the art of emotional regulation.

http://farewelltodaylight.com/2014/08/25/sink-or-swim/
If we grow up in abusive or emotionally invalidating environments, as we get older our emotions become more intense because the brain WANTS them to be validated because it WANTS to develop the way that our natural genetic code says that it should. Thus, as invalidation continues the emotional experience and expression strengthens to a pathological level to compensate.[/b]

Having an intelligent and working explanation for the way BPD, and perhaps other mental illnesses, develop is all well and good but the picture is still pretty grim until we learn another fact about the beautiful organ that is the human brain. This is a concept called neuroplasticity. By willfully engaging in certain activities instead of others we activate specific areas of the brain over other. It follows that if one does things to activate the prefrontal cortex, the PFC circuits will start to develop themselves. In this way, one can literally rewire ones own brain. It turns out, practicing exercises of mindfulness like the ones taught in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy activate and strengthen the PFC circuits. Remember that “neurons that fire together wire together”. As time goes by and the techniques are practiced the PFC becomes more easily activated as the neural circuits are developed. This is exactly why we see the emotional regulatory abilities of those who go through intensive DBT programs improve so drastically, often to the point of remission if persistent. The key is, it takes time and it take practice.

Wow, I can certainly relate. When I was a child, emotion expression was taboo in my house, I mean all kinds of emotion. I have a great deal of trouble indentifying emotions, let alone managing them in a healthy way, but EE is helping me enormously with the first step: identifying. What also helps a lot is reading about it, and accepting the fact that the buildup of invalidated feelings is so immense that progression can be made one step at a time, trying not to frustrate because it does take a lot of effort.

(Edit: bad grammar)

skycsil said:
What also helps a lot is reading about it, and accepting the fact that the buildup of invalidated feelings is so immense that progression can be made one step at a time, trying not to frustrate because it does take a lot of effort.

The feeling that these feelings are so overwhelming or 'will destroy you' if felt, so cripplingly (physically) painful when triggered is kind of hard to convey to others if they've not felt the level of intensity themselves.
Why Emotional Pain Really Affects Us
Why love literally hurts
Still it's not quite accurate to say that physical and social pain are exactly the same. As other research suggests, social pain may actually be much worse in the long run. A kick to the groin might feel just as bad as a breakup in the moment, but while the physical aching goes away, the memory of lost love can linger forever.

The key block really is this:
If we grow up in abusive or emotionally invalidating environments, as we get older our emotions become more intense because the brain WANTS them to be validated because it WANTS to develop the way that our natural genetic code says that it should. Thus, as invalidation continues the emotional experience and expression strengthens to a pathological level to compensate.

It doesn't even have to be abusive or an emotionally invalidating environment. It could be that you are just naturally sensitive to emotions (this may be genetic and/or diet related), and your parents couldn't cope with or 'see' the level of intensity emotions brought. This then leads to seeing yourself as different. Add in a bunch of social rejection (the 'normal' stuff kids go through) and your own emotional sensitivity becomes a constant reminder of how different you are - and the 'cause' of your social rejection/pain.
As soon as you try and fight emotions, they get stronger (there is a bunch of studies about how it changes your opiod receptors, and that it stops you from calming the pain of emotions). Right here then you have a negative feedback loop.
The more you fight, feel you can't handle the pain and overwhelm of emotions, the louder and more painful they get.
Emotions are 'dangerous and wrong', you are 'dangerous and wrong' because they won't go away. One of the biggest risks for people with BPD is suicide, which makes a whole lot of sense if you can see how the negative feedback loop works.

It can also be the case that you learned to put others needs above your own as a kid, which means you've rejected your own (including the pre-frontal cortexes developmental need for external emotional validation). And we know what happens when you reject these things, they get louder and overwhelming.

I need to find the specific research again, but this feedback loop can shut down the observing/mindful part of the brain. If a person is in that state they literally can't step outside of themselves, they are just these raw feelings. Acceptance of the feelings by someone external is required in order to break that. Neuro feedback is another way out of that cycle. Meditation (EE) and connecting with the body through massage and yoga help too.

Things like CBT can be harmful because they generally work from an emotionally neutral position and require the observer part of the brain to be active in the client. This will just be experienced as more social rejection and pain by the client.

DBT is about emotional mirroring, and acting as an external pre-frontal cortex for the client. Once the emotions are acknowledged and the client feels they have been heard, the thinking part of the brain comes back online and narratives and behavior can be considered. Building an awareness of when they are in that emotional state (and understanding that the thinking/observing brain is inhibited or shut off) is one of the first steps out of the cycle, along with tools for dealing with stress and emotional pain.

Thanks, RedFox, this is most interesting. :)
Without that key input, the frontal circuits never develop properly. They need to be activated to develop because “neurons that fire together wire together”. Because of this, when those developing BPD reach their teenage years and adulthood their PFCs cannot control the lower level primordial emotional system because it never got exercised when they were children. One of the roles of an attachment figure or a parent is to teach is, inadvertently, the way to properly express emotion. We learn this by observing their own emotional expression as well as receiving feedback about our own. We may be jumping for joy and knocking things over and we are then told that this is inappropriate. Or we may be sad and cry and we are taught that its ok to be sad but its not ok to neglect our responsibilities. This is emotional validation and learning. Without this critical input from our environments, the lower level system is allowed to run rampant. If we grow up in abusive or emotionally invalidating environments, as we get older our emotions become more intense because the brain WANTS them to be validated because it WANTS to develop the way that our natural genetic code says that it should. Thus, as invalidation continues the emotional experience and expression strengthens to a pathological level to compensate.

Could hormones play a role when they are out of whack for instance? The reason I ask is because the description of BPD also reminds me a bit of some of the symptoms of (peri)menopause. Or maybe BPD gets worse during perimenopause?
The other day I had the impression that I was going mad, my emotions were all over the place. It only stopped when I decided to work on a project and concentrate on something completely different.
I have heard that many women think they are going crazy during perimenopause. The brain is being rewired, so that might be a clue?

RedFox said:
skycsil said:
What also helps a lot is reading about it, and accepting the fact that the buildup of invalidated feelings is so immense that progression can be made one step at a time, trying not to frustrate because it does take a lot of effort.

The feeling that these feelings are so overwhelming or 'will destroy you' if felt, so cripplingly (physically) painful when triggered is kind of hard to convey to others if they've not felt the level of intensity themselves.
Why Emotional Pain Really Affects Us
Why love literally hurts

I have experienced feelings as both of you have described above. To the extent that I wanted to destroy myself, because it hurt so badly. What helped was information. I would remind myself where these feelings came from, which helped a great deal.
I hope I am making sense.

Mariama said:
Could hormones play a role when they are out of whack for instance? The reason I ask is because the description of BPD also reminds me a bit of some of the symptoms of (peri)menopause. Or maybe BPD gets worse during perimenopause?
The other day I had the impression that I was going mad, my emotions were all over the place. It only stopped when I decided to work on a project and concentrate on something completely different.
I have heard that many women think they are going crazy during perimenopause. The brain is being rewired, so that might be a clue?

I'm sure hormones play a role (i.e. Gabor Mates research related to stress and how that changes the body), as does things like diet/genetics that stop neurons forming proper protection around them (making them hypersensitive) i.e. myelination.
Many things can have an effect on the excitability of the pre-frontal cortex too, which can manifest as these emotional disturbances or things like ADHD.

You may be right about the rewiring too. In this case the pre-frontal cortex is attempting to wire correctly and the emotional pain and self beliefs the person holds around emotions and pain is blocking this. As such they get stuck in a state of constantly starting to rewrire and never completing it. The pre-frontal cortex then never fully develops.
The following may explain more (and is very useful for dealing with emotional pain through conscious rewiring): Is it possible to rewire your brain to change bad habits, thoughts & feelings?
The examples at the end gave me something I could use with myself. Just remember to breathe!

RedFox said:
It doesn't even have to be abusive or an emotionally invalidating environment. It could be that you are just naturally sensitive to emotions (this may be genetic and/or diet related), and your parents couldn't cope with or 'see' the level of intensity emotions brought. This then leads to seeing yourself as different. Add in a bunch of social rejection (the 'normal' stuff kids go through) and your own emotional sensitivity becomes a constant reminder of how different you are - and the 'cause' of your social rejection/pain.
As soon as you try and fight emotions, they get stronger (there is a bunch of studies about how it changes your opiod receptors, and that it stops you from calming the pain of emotions). Right here then you have a negative feedback loop.
The more you fight, feel you can't handle the pain and overwhelm of emotions, the louder and more painful they get.
Emotions are 'dangerous and wrong', you are 'dangerous and wrong' because they won't go away. One of the biggest risks for people with BPD is suicide, which makes a whole lot of sense if you can see how the negative feedback loop works.

It can also be the case that you learned to put others needs above your own as a kid, which means you've rejected your own (including the pre-frontal cortexes developmental need for external emotional validation). And we know what happens when you reject these things, they get louder and overwhelming.

That could very well be the case. Another thing that found out that could be quite obvious when you think of it, is that we nead to learn how to validate. I fail miserably at validation of emotions (be it my own emotions and others') because I simply didn't have much of this experience. This explains a lot of my failed relationships and shows me a red flag about myself concerning the interaction with my daughters: I better leanr how to validate and learn quite fast becasue I don't want them to grow up the way I did!

skycsil said:
That could very well be the case. Another thing that found out that could be quite obvious when you think of it, is that we nead to learn how to validate. I fail miserably at validation of emotions (be it my own emotions and others') because I simply didn't have much of this experience. This explains a lot of my failed relationships and shows me a red flag about myself concerning the interaction with my daughters: I better leanr how to validate and learn quite fast becasue I don't want them to grow up the way I did!

I think so. A book I've found most useful is: Inviting a Monkey to Tea: Befriending Your Mind and Discovering Lasting Contentment Paperback by Nancy Colier
There is also a book mentioned here: Acceptance of reality is key to ending the suffering of emotional pain
I've not had a chance to get it yet. Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions & Balance Your Life by Sheri Van Dijk

Have a look at the second video here too.

Some more useful bits of information, specifically there are two categories of BPD that I didn't know about.
The classic is considered 'acting out' in which the person projects onto others and acts destructively towards others. The second is 'acting-in' in which the person hides there emotional state from others, and internalizes the destructive psychological behavior (although may physically harm themselves too).

It's useful to consider that self diagnoses is generally not a good idea (nor are labels in general), however if you recognize some of yourself in this the therapy techniques etc may be useful.

http://www.borderline-personality-disorder.com/mental-health/what-is-a-quiet-borderline/
What Is a 'Quiet' Borderline?

Keisha had never been what anyone would call an extrovert. She was an observer and a listener, which can sometimes just be other words for shy. She rarely liked to put herself out there, but when she did, she went all-in. Her relationships were extremely important to her, far more than the people in them would ever have guessed. She loved fiercely, but because she’d always been incredibly sensitive, the slightest disappointments could spoil her mood and sour her on the possibility of happiness. She was intensely reactive.
Although she never raged or raised her voice in anger, when upset, she might say something quietly caustic—words a loved one found deeply hurtful and surprising, although she was equally likely to simply withdraw. During these periods of isolation, her emotions turned dark and clouded. On a too-regular basis, Keisha experienced moments of deafening depression followed by a kind of malaise, a sense of existential hopelessness that seemed to swallow her. Just as quickly, these emotions would switch to anger and resentment; feelings so chaotic, Keisha’s only defense against them was something she’d learned by observing a classmate in her all-girl’s high school—to burn the insides of her arm with the curling iron. The pain was rewarding in that it took her painfully wild inner emotions and turned them into something she could control on the outside, something tangible she could see and name.
By the time Keisha turned 22, she was still jobless and living with her mother. She had never enrolled in college and wasn’t yet seeking to. Her reason was fear; she feared it would all be too much for her—attempting to navigate the outside world and its expectations. The few people she knew were neighbors and the women who worked with her mother. Any friends she’d had in high school she’d lost or all but written off. Still, even with her mother or Ms. Helen, the woman in the apartment next door, Keisha struggled to maintain regular communication.

Borderline Personality and Acting-In Behaviour

The designation “quiet borderline” describes a personality style sometimes present among people with borderline personality disorder (BPD), but one that isn’t well known. When we think of a person with BPD, we often imagine someone who angers quickly, who rages, cries and throws tantrums—who is unable to keep herself from expressing negative emotions in an outward and punishing way. Someone who is a “quiet borderline” rarely exhibits acting out behaviors and instead “acts in.” Acting in refers to hostility, aggression, anger and other potentially self-injurious emotions being internalized rather than verbalized or used to fuel behaviors that impact others. This constant internalization of intense negative emotions often means that others are unaware of the extent to which people with “quiet” BPD experience despair and pain. Even the individuals who have it may be unwilling or unable to acknowledge the possibility of a BPD diagnosis for a long time, as some of the more characteristic behaviors common to BPD may not seem to apply to them. However, any person diagnosed with BPD—whether “quiet” or not—will have met the diagnostic criteria.
People with “quiet” BPD often experience a sense of isolation and a lack of connection to the outside world. They may spend a great deal of time and energy rationalizing and denying the effects of their unstable emotions, then harming themselves psychologically or even physically, in despair over their inability to feel in control. They may feel confident one moment and deeply self-hating the next. This inconstancy in self-appraisal is common to all people who suffer from BPD; the difference is that those with “quiet” BPD are far likelier to hide this emotional reality from their loved ones in a way that eventually becomes painfully isolating.

Recovery From 'Quiet' BPD Is Possible

Recovery for someone with “quiet” BPD is similar to that for people with the more standard manifestation, and just as hopeful, despite the chaotic and painful effects of the diagnosis. Borderline personality disorder can be recovered from, and treatments such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and particularly dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) and schema therapy have been found to be especially helpful in reducing the pain of momentary emotions, and helping individuals learn strategies for coping with them.

This video is quite a good overview of the two types of BPD

https://youtu.be/OE4YuU9pwZU

Lastly two overviews of BPD, which I think clear up some understanding. Especially when it comes to the emotions involved and the overwhelm experienced, and how that drives the behaviors.

https://youtu.be/HuHxEXJ5te4

https://youtu.be/fhOotNCqg2E

RedFox said:
Mariama said:
You may be right about the rewiring too. In this case the pre-frontal cortex is attempting to wire correctly and the emotional pain and self beliefs the person holds around emotions and pain is blocking this. As such they get stuck in a state of constantly starting to rewrire and never completing it. The pre-frontal cortex then never fully develops.
The following may explain more (and is very useful for dealing with emotional pain through conscious rewiring): Is it possible to rewire your brain to change bad habits, thoughts & feelings?
The examples at the end gave me something I could use with myself. Just remember to breathe!

Thanks a lot, RedFox! I will have a look at these videos and articles that you mentioned. I will post some of your information in the perimenopause thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom