Was Julius Caesar the real Jesus Christ?

hi, I'm late to this thread- it one of he ost fascinating things I have read - thank you all.

Only thing is, this link
The Gospel of Caesar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfY069iPVI

When i click on it, says it's unavailable. It it just my computer d'you htink? am i doing something wrong?

ska said:
When i click on it, says it's unavailable. It it just my computer d'you htink? am i doing something wrong?
It's not your computer, the video isn't available anymore at that location. try _http://youtu.be/gvga-98x6Nk instead.

ka said:
Hi, Palinurus and all:

I’ve been following this thread with great excitement from its inception, having read on my own in various related directions on and off for many years.

So, when Palinurus mentioned the Varus War in a response to the Cassiopaean Session of 10/11/2014, I recognized that it was something I needed to know about. When I did an internet search on it, the ONLY thing it fetched up that actually addressed the subject was on a website put out by the Association for Scriptural Knowledge:

http://www.askelm.com/star/star012.htm

This link brings up a chapter about the Varus War; the book it’s from, The Star of Bethlehem, by author Ernest L. Martin, has lots of other related information. I can’t imagine the Cass research team isn’t aware of this, but just in case, I thought I’d mention it.

Another of Martin’s books is posted, The People That History Forgot; it treats the mélange of religious practices going on in the Near East along with early Christianity, with demographic information about the people practicing them, as well as an account of how these people emigrated into Rome and further into Europe.

I’ve only begun to read the material. But the author seems NOT to be a slave to any Big Agenda. What I’ve read so far seems like honest scholarship, and the historical sources he uses are solid. He discusses the chronological difficulties, and he has a background in astronomy that he brings to the material.

We may not come to the same conclusions he does, but his work seems worth looking into.

Hi ka,

Thanks for sharing. I agree with your assessment. The website you mentioned is one of the sources I've found but there are more.

I hope to post really soon about it elsewhere but I cannot do so until I've first read those sources and fully understood their implications, in order to make a contribution to the Historical Events Database thread that's really worthwhile for others and for the project as a whole.

I'm sure you'll understand. ;)

Palinurus said:
I hope to post really soon about it elsewhere but I cannot do so until I've first read those sources and fully understood their implications, in order to make a contribution to the Historical Events Database thread that's really worthwhile for others and for the project as a whole.

Hi Palinurus:
I DO understand, and appreciate that you don’t want to endorse faulty information.

I’ve had a chance now to look through both the E.L. Martin books I mentioned, and I find that he is a committed Christian believer, with loyalties to Judaism.

However, he arrived at the same date for the Varus War as you did, which may make some of his other chronology useful to us. he does present a lot of data that I haven’t found assembled elsewhere. So, I can’t recommend his all-over point of view, but I am interested.

And I will try to be patient for whatever the team chooses to release, in the confidence that you all are really jealous about keeping to the truth!

It's not your computer, the video isn't available anymore at that location. try _http://youtu.be/gvga-98x6Nk instead.

Thank you very much for the link. I was looking for an introduction (mostly to show friends and family) subtitled in English of Carotta's work. :D

While researching around yet another obscure passage in Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus, I ran into the very intriguing website of Charles N. Pope about whom I couldn't find nothing more than that he's an American and probably lives somewhere in Texas. This is the site: _http://www.domainofman.com/

In there, I found that he has written a book entitled Alexander the Great: Beyond the Divide which proposes the hypothesis that the life of Jesus was modeled to the template of the life of Alexander the Great -- which might make sense insofar as Caesar himself modeled his own life, warfare and political exploits, to the example of Alexander. I don't know whether that was the case or not, but via the Cs we could ask him personally about that if the need arises.

Anyway, this is how the author introduces his work:

Alexander the Great's birth had been "immaculately conceived" and then "celestially announced." He was a precocious youth that confounded his elders. He railed against conventional thinking (orthodoxy) and was revered everywhere, except by his own family and home town. His campaign began with a wedding. He cast out demons and was accused of having a demon. He fed the multitudes and spoke in parables. He was particularly fond of the mustard seed. He traveled incessantly. He prayed for those that spitefully used him. He walked on water and calmed the tempest. He was warned against entering his capital, but approached his prophesized demise with eager resolve. He was lifted up into the "heavens" and also descended to the "underworld." His higher calling was to attain a faraway kingdom, and one that could only be gained through a symbolic death and ascension. He comforted and later appeared to his followers. He moved mountains and enveloped those who believed in him from the onslaught of the godless. Sound familiar?

Jesus of the New Testament was deliberately styled as an Alexander for his own generation. Moreover, he was endowed with all of the good qualities of Alexander and none of the bad. Jesus is depicted as a rehabilitated Alexander, and therefore in a sense, an even greater "god-king" than Alexander. Olympias (Mura), the "virgin mother" of Alexander became a pattern for Mary mother of Jesus. Roxane, the bride that Alexander claimed by storming a high fortress, prefigured Mary Magdalene, "Lady of the Tower." All of Christ's disciples (later Apostles) were also typecast after the companions (later "Successors") and other intimates of Alexander. Hephaestion foreshadowed John the Beloved; Perdiccas the "first leader" after Alexander's "Passion" provided inspiration for James the Just (first head of the Church). The inspiration for Peter was supplied by Seleucus, who had cause to repeatedly deny Alexander's claims of divine kingship, but later built his empire and his cult following. The role of Ptolemy the evangelist of Alexander was played by Paul. And the list goes on.

Many books have been written about the death of Alexander the Great and who was responsible. None have ever examined clear textual evidence from The Life of Alexander of Macedon (also known as the "Alexander Romance") that Alexander did not literally die in Babylon in the year 323 BC, but conceded his claim of kingship in the West in order to finish his coveted conquest of India and the Far East. He would not resume his mission under the name of Alexander, but under the contemporary Indian name of Chandra-Gupta, whose career dovetails perfectly with that of Alexander. Chandra-Gupta defeated Seleucus in battle and became the very first Emperor of India. By laying down his life in Babylon (just prior to his 33rd birthday), Alexander ultimately was able to "take it back up again" and fulfill all he desired in the decades (and kingdoms) that were to come. Within a generation of Alexander's presumed death he was being proclaimed the undisputed "Ruler of the World," and he maintained that lofty status in perpetuity. In doing so, Alexander established a formula for future world-beaters, including even the Roman Caesar, the Jewish Jesus, and the Islamic Muhammad to follow. Consistent with this, Alexander has been held in the highest esteem by all our major world religions.

From the way this is worded as well as from the rest of his vast website (a veritable maze of cross referenced entries, of which I've barely scratched the surface after more than a week), one gets the impression that Pope considers any and all ancient texts with historical contents as some sort of roman-à-clef, while history itself is seen as a repetition of archetypal persons, situations, configurations, and so on. In short, the hypothesis of eternal return (Eliade, Nietzsche, and others). Pope is aware of Atwill (among many others, like Carotta and so on), has reviewed his book, and even drew some comments from him with details he left out of the published version. A site search yielded 8 pages of mentions for Atwill alone, so I have decided to make other posts about that in the Historical Events Database thread shortly.

This book is available on his website as a PDF-file after a donation of at least $ 20.-- Just click here to order: _http://www.domainofman.com/donate.html

An abridged version is available on Kindle for $ 8.07 here: _http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Great-Beyond-Abridged-Version-ebook/dp/B00O4LJP2A

The author posted something about it on the daily grail website recently with a slightly altered title, but withdrew "due to lack of interest" : _http://www.dailygrail.com/blogs/Charles-Pope/2014/10/Alexander-the-Great-and-the-Grail-Tradition

I have to confess I didn't read the work myself yet, for lack of time and currently different priorities.

I'm only signaling its existence now here for those who might be interested in his angle of approaching these materials. I'm unable to make any judgment about that myself and I feel totally inadequate at the moment vis-a-vis the overwhelming wealth of material amassed on his website -- a feeling I don't experience often I might add.

So, it may well be just another diversion, red herring and a dead end as well; I simply don't know. Sorry about that.

I'm only signaling its existence now here for those who might be interested in his angle of approaching these materials. I'm unable to make any judgment about that myself and I feel totally inadequate at the moment vis-a-vis the overwhelming wealth of material amassed on his website -- a feeling I don't experience often I might add.

So, it may well be just another diversion, red herring and a dead end as well; I simply don't know. Sorry about that.

Thank you for taking your time and sharing one more source here. I'll try to get the abridged Kindle edition, for now, as the review you posted caught my interest!

There seems to be interesting details to see in Pope's work. [years ago I read "The Archaeology And The Patriarchs." Like an introduction to certain topics on high strangeness and manipulation of history may have been interesting, but not recommendable, if I remember correctly. Maybe I should read it again.]
Thanks for sharing, Palinurus.

It was common even back in the time of the pharaohs (prior to the Bronze Age collapse) to "re-write" the bio of kings and leaders with miraculous birth stories, fathered/mothered by gods/goddesses, etc. So, from that point of view, the mythicized Jesus birth story could be said to be the same as about any of them.

The Jesus birth story is modeled particularly on the Mithras birth story which is based on even older models so there's really no cigar in noticing this.

What is MOST important about the "Jesus" story is the terrible betrayal/death, being lifted up on a cross/tropheum, and then apotheosis as a god who will do in the heavenly realms what he did on earth, i.e. manifest his great clemency and forgiveness for all who adhere to his example. These elements appear to belong exclusively to Caesar, not Alexander or others. Also, connected with this, is the great, almost universal EMOTIONAL SHOCK, that was manifested at the time of Caesar's murder.

Marcion, Paul, and early Christianity

So I've been doing a bit of reading on a few topics. I'll probably post more about them as I learn some more, but for now just wanted to say a few things about Marcion. He was a guy, early 2nd century, and the first "Christian" to make a canon of Christian works, which included an early version of Luke (minus the birth story and the end, and minus Acts) and versions of 10 of Paul's letters. His Gospel and beliefs are only known through his enemies, e.g. Tertullian and Epiphanius, who say he edited the works to his liking, removing the stuff he didn't like. (Marcion was adamant Christianity was not in any way Jewish, and was a bit of a dualist.)

But there are some scholars who think his gospel was original. It makes more sense that Catholic editors added stuff to the versions he had than the opposite. It also provides a reasonable alternative to the "2 source" hypothesis, with Marcion's gospel being a source used for Matthew and Luke. There are a few sites on the Net with attempts to reconstruct his versions, but since they only exist in quotation from later sources, it's hard to be 100% sure about certain parts.

For those curious to check out these reconstructions, see:
_http://www.marcionite-scripture.info/Marcionite_Bible.htm
_http://sgwau2cbeginnings.blogspot.ca/ (this guy is the most radical - he thinks Marcion WAS Paul, and composed the letters himself, and his reconstructions remove most of the Jewish stuff, unattested in the later sources)
And there's a recent book with reconstructions out (haven't checked it out yet), published by the peeps that put out "The Authentic Letters of Paul", which I'm reading right now.

But what I really wanted to mention right now is this:

The Marcionites were the most rigid of ascetics, abstaining from marriage, flesh and wine, the latter being excluded from their Eucharist. They also rejoiced beyond all other sects in the number of their martyrs. The Marcionites have also given us the most ancient dated Christian inscription. It was discovered over the doorway of a house in a Syrian village, and formerly marked the site of a Marcionite meeting-house or church, which curiously enough was called a synagogue. The date is October 1, A.D. 318 and the most remarkable point about it is that the church was dedicated to "The Lord and Saviour Jesus, the Good - "Chrestos", not Christos. In early times there seems to have been much confusion between the two titles. Christos is the Greek for the Hebrew Messiah, Anointed, and was the title used by those who believed that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. This was denied, not only by the Marcionites, but also by many of their Gnostic predecessors and successors. The title Chrestos was used of one perfected, the holy one, the saint; no doubt in later days the orthodox, who subsequently had the sole editing of the texts, in pure ignorance changed Chrestos into Christos wherever it occurred; so that instead of finding the promise of perfection in the religious history of all the nations, they limited it to the Jewish tradition alone, and struck a fatal blow at the universality of history and doctrine. There was naturally a number of sub-schools of the Marcion school, and in its ranks were a number of distinguished teachers ...
_http://gnosis.org/library/meadmarcion.htm

Syria is where Paul did a lot of his missionary work. We probably wouldn't have Paul's letters today if it weren't for Marcion. Other sources online (haven't verified them yet) say the Syrian spelling of Jesus was ISU, so the name was ISU CHRESTOS, not IESOUS CHRISTOS. IS (IuliuS, as Carotta points out) was a common abbreviation for "Jesus". Khrēstós is Greek for 'good'. As Carotta points out, Plutarch used this adjective to describe Caesar (along with Alexander and Caecilius Metellus, both of whom were deified like Caesar).

Re: Marcion, Paul, and early Christianity

Found a source for the inscription online (not the original, which is in Le Bas and Waddington, Inscriptions vol. iii, no. 2558) here. Looks like Iesous is abbreviated IE (Ἰη), not ISU. But the Marcionites apparently did call Jesus ISU (at least, the Syrian ones did):

_http://books.google.com/books?id=12dxBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA171&dq=marcion+jesus+isu&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UspvVMCGKoOgNrXqg5gI&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=marcion%20jesus%20isu&f=false
_http://books.google.com/books?id=B2VIAQAAIAAJ&q=marcion+jesus+isu&dq=marcion+jesus+isu&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UspvVMCGKoOgNrXqg5gI&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAQ
_http://books.google.com/books?id=sw_rslKdy8AC&pg=PT95&dq=marcion+jesus+isu&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UspvVMCGKoOgNrXqg5gI&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=marcion%20jesus%20isu&f=false

Very interesting. In "Forged" by Bart Ehrman there is a small section about Marcion. Apparently this person went to Rome from Asia minor (Sinope) where he was in the ship building business. According to Ehrman, his theology admits the existence of two gods, the lesser god of the ancient testament, who created the world, jealous and revengeful, tied to the materialistic world, and the higher god of a non-human Jesus, with a different character and nature. It looks as if there were some connection with gnostics' duality and maybe some teachings. Tertullian, his opponent, claims according to a note in French Wikipedia that Marcion is epicurian or stoic :huh:

This very, very, early conflict between whether Christ was Jewish or not is furiously interesting. Marcion was sensitive to it probably for good reason, though his solution was a little strange. He didn't conclude the obvious: that the Jewish god probably wasn't the "supreme god" as they claimed, but just a transmogrified tribal god.

Yeah, his conclusion was built on a bad assumption, kind of like:

1) assuming the Jewish books have some basis in reality
and
2) assuming the Gospel has some basis in reality
then
3) because of their contradictions, Yahweh must be a jerk who created the world

What's funny is that anti-Marcion peeps say HE edited Paul and Luke by cutting stuff out to suit his theological agenda. But nowhere in his versions of those works is there ANY evidence that he included/added anything to support his 'weird' theology. There's even stuff in 'his' Gospel that contradicts his theology. So the argument doesn't fly.

Back
Top Bottom