Triangle(2009)

Corvus

Dagobah Resident
I watched this movie and I liked it because it was very mind bending and cleverly done for me(maybe because seeing some truth visually has greater impact for me), makes you think because it is based on time traveling, more precisely time loops, being stuck in it which can have basis in reality. Through movie clues are revealed one by one and it creates slowly bigger picture and things start to make sense and start to become interesting(from the start it is somewhat boring), but in the end I had some questions still which makes you think a bit. I am not going to spoil it anymore. I think the name of the movie triangle is symbolically referring to the time loop. It is also uploaded on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eFYVr6zGTQ

Recently watched this movie also, a well made film with an interesting time loop -angle to "you receive what you give". It has a very good performance by the lead actress too.

From imdb:

When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. Her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety, a ship Jess is convinced she's been on before. The ship appears deserted, the clock on board has stopped, but they are not alone... Someone is intent on hunting them down, one by one. And Jess unknowingly holds the key to end the terror.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=sr_1

Added: a word of warning: the movie has some scenes of violence that at least I found a bit shocking. However I think it doesn't quite overdo things like the few (modern) horror/action films I have seen appear to do.

Honestly, i really hated that movie. It's one of the worst films i've seen. Aside from being overly creepy, it emanates with a certain feeling of hopelesness that left me down for days after watching. The main character keeps being irritating. Plus there's a fundamental logical flaw upon which the plot has been constructed (don't want to put spoilers here). I know time loops are to be paradoxical in nature but all in all this movie just made no sense, OSIT.

Yes, it wasn’t really a ”feel good” movie for repeated viewings.

I have been thinking how the concept in Triangle is similar to Groundhog day.
Groundhog is definitely the better and more fulfilling movie, all around and especially

spoilers

as the main character is able to evolve out of the situation. A real soul-nourishing movie :)

Re: Triangle (2009)

I've seen this movie a while back on DVD, which turned out to be very similar to Timecrimes (See: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timecrimes). That one really is a twisted story. Both films have situation(s) evolving around one person (*spoiler* - with that same person being a "bad" guy).

I agree with lostinself that Triangle gives a feeling of hopelessness and with no way out. Maybe that was a point?

What really interests me is the relationship between Jess and her autistic son. I think what happened to both of them could have served as a catalyst for the time loop...

I watched this movie today and what came to me she is being stuck in time loops because she want to change it, rather than wait and see.

I agree with lostinself that Triangle gives a feeling of hopelessness and with no way out. Maybe that was a point?

Yes, maybe it was intended to be more realistic.

Also It crossed my mind at the end of the movie that she died and was a ghost when you see that scene after car accident that she was not hurt and standing at the scene and that cab driver also seems suspicious in that sense, that would be kind of realistic like ghost living over and over again through some experiences and is caught in a loop and all other characters maybe being projections. that would also maybe explain inability to really change anything.

I really liked this almost dreamlike movie, even though I also did not enjoy its more violent parts.

For me, the effect was the realization that this repeating of the same painful 'loop' is what most people go through in reincarnation. Who knows how many times we had to repeat some experience to 'get it' and make the necessary changes.

As such the film was uplifting for me in a different way - as a sort of recognition and the wish to not repeat the same mistakes.

Spoilers:

There are no plot holes or logical flaws I could find. The main character forgets what happened to her (when she falls asleep on the boat, or maybe before) and therefore she has only deja vu experiences on the cruise ship.

The film was also created in such a way as to allow three different interpretations. One is that it is really just a time loop, another interpretation is that she is in some sort of purgatory and the third interpretation is that it is all in her head. There are little details such as the logo of the cruise ship appearing on the drum of one of the kids who observe her accident, etc.

(SPOILERS BELOW)

axj said:
There are no plot holes or logical flaws I could find. The main character forgets what happened to her (when she falls asleep on the boat, or maybe before) and therefore she has only deja vu experiences on the cruise ship.

Has been a while since i saw the movie so i just rewatched the beginning and the ending on YT.

The flaw that i mentioned earlier becomes apparent when the "older" Melissa George kills the "younger" one. This scene alone makes the whole movie somewhat pointless because it reveals we have in fact two independent, diconnected Melissas - the bad mother who gets killed and the one trapped inside an infinite time loop. There's no continuity, no causal link between the woman's "former" life and the endless loop she (or her copy) is stuck in. The loop may indeed be understood as a form of an eternal purgatory, but still it all occurs in the physical world, so one can expect some causal transition here, so to speak.

There are movies which successfully manage to cope with similar time paradoxes - like "Timecrimes" or presumably "Primer" (i didn't really comprehend this one). "Triangle" doesn't, OSIT.

lostinself said:
(SPOILERS BELOW)

The flaw that i mentioned earlier becomes apparent when the "older" Melissa George kills the "younger" one. This scene alone makes the whole movie somewhat pointless because it reveals we have in fact two independent, diconnected Melissas - the bad mother who gets killed and the one trapped inside an infinite time loop. There's no continuity, no causal link between the woman's "former" life and the endless loop she (or her copy) is stuck in.

I don't know, it seems pretty straightforward to me: she gets into the time loop and always returns to the same "original" timeline where she repeatedly kills her original self.

I went through a phase of wanting to see/read any stories which dealt with time travel. There are some interesting works out there, but nothing which I really felt got it 'right'. -Whatever 'right' might be. I'm still trying to settle on how "time" (or the lack thereof) works. Maybe artists have a bit of a clue if they're responding to signals from "Psychic Projectors"?

So, Triangle wound up in the explore list. I'd classify it as a Cheap Horror/Slasher Flick and didn't think very much of it.

I HAVE, however, noticed an interesting sub-category in these sorts of films. I've seen it several times now, where characters caught in a loop and who meet themselves, almost automatically make the weirdest, most counter-intuitive decision possible. "I know! I'll try to KILL myself!"

Most recently, "Coherence" http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36350.msg532121.html#msg532121 exhibited the same feature. -One difference being that some of the characters involved found the idea worthy of introspection and revolt, and the Nicholas Brendon character who forwarded the idea with the most gusto was depicted as a self-hating reality-escapist. That at least made sense.

I also think that the "I will kill myself in the past"-meme doesn't make much sense and yet it is done all the time in these movies. While not really a great movie, "Plus One" had at least one character who had a good time with her past self - in addition to others trying to kill their past selves. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom