Best lotion I have found for dry skin - shea butter with coconut oil

I found cocoa butter the best cosmetic fat so far. Butter (clarified) becomes rancid after couple of hours (it's hard to wash that off clothes), lard stinks from the beginning (but it works), shea butter doesn't do anything good for me. Oenothera (evening primrose) is very good for irritated/injured skin (as aftershave for example), but it doesn't offer much protection to cold & wind. Cocoa butter has it's delicate smell which i find pleasant and it protects well.

Have you tried some essential oils mixed with lard, osher?

Lard seems to absorb the fragrance of herbs, elixirs and so on. I made some calendula ointment with lard for my youngest child who is a bit sensitive, he doesn't like lard very much, but the smell didn't bother him, for it smelled like calendula to him.

I will try using lard on my hands, since the dryness in hands has been getting worse and spreading. The lard is from organic pastured pigs and I render it myself.

Is there a formula for making calendula and lard? What and where do I get for calendula?

Try lard right now! :) I also have dry hands in winter and from my experience lard gives you really instant relief and help. It's like a magic to me!

From a blog in Spanish I found a method to incorporate aqueous extract from any plant to a fat. This process is called leaching and the procedure is this: Put the plant aqueous extract together with the fat in a bain-marie. put some heat until the water evaporates (3 hours at least). Add vitamin E for preservation(antioxidant) and mix with a blender until it get almost cool. This is it. :)

_http://sanganatural.blogspot.com/2011/07/lixiviacion-de-geranio-en-mantequilla.html

I tried Kukui Nut oil from Hawaii a few years ago and found it pretty good for some eczema I had at that time. It was just a small bottle of the pressed oil, not made into a cream or lotion, similar to these on Amazon:

_http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AKukui%20Nut%20Oil

I always use cocoa oil now on my visage. It's fantastic and it's not expensive. I will never buy anymore any kind of cream and I am always amused when I go to stores and see the big prices of these creams, and their publicity with actress and how they try to convince us that creams that are expensive are good for us. When in fact they give cancer.

What is shea butter? It is the first time I hear about it.

Loreta shea butter as per wikipedia (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter):

Shea butter (/ˈʃiː/ or /ˈʃiː.ə/) is an off- white or ivory-colored fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree (Vitellaria paradoxa).[1] Shea butter is a triglyceride (fat) derived mainly from stearic acid and oleic acid. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion. Shea butter is edible and is used in food preparation in Africa.[2] Occasionally the chocolate industry uses shea butter mixed with other oils as a substitute for cocoa butter, although the taste is noticeably different.[3][4]

The English word "shea" comes from s’í, the tree's name in the Bambara language of Mali.[5] It is also known as karité in the Wolof language of Senegal.[6] In some parts of West Africa, shea butter is referred to as Ori.[7][8]

It's getting colder and I have to keep up on moisturizing my hands, although I have been doing so even during the summer. I am using beef tallow now, and shea butter is much better at moisturizing. I have some un-rendered pork fat, so I might try using that once my current supply is done.

Lard experiment on my hands is going well. I only need a tiny dab, much less than store bought lotions.

hlat said:
Lard experiment on my hands is going well. I only need a tiny dab, much less than store bought lotions.

I put in on my face, hands, feet and so on and it feels wonderful, especially on my feet.

Hlat, I bought a small bottle of calendula elixer from a herbalist. I just mix a few drops with a bit of lard (half a teaspoon or so) and put it on the skin of my son and he will tell me if it is doing anything or not and if he can tolerate it.
Apparently, calendula also helps against windburn and dry chapped skin and lips, so to keep a bit of lard/calendula ointment ready would be a good idea.

Papaya...as long as it is NOT genetically modified. I just will not support that. I do understand there are times when it is necessary. I am stubborn.

Emu oil is what I recommend to my elderly clients. Just the fat from an emu bird. It is the only thing they have found that actually works and they keep buying it. The Australian aborigines used it alot for various complaints.

I use castor oil as an all-over moisturizer. It's a thick oil, but doesn't take long to penetrate the skin. I use it on my face, eyes, rub it into hands and feet, arms and legs. Beware though, on contact it will eventually turn white clothing/bedding yellow. For this I keep on hand sets of socks and underclothing that I don't mind getting oily. After completing the other parts of my routine, the oil is usually absorbed by the time I dress.

I first learned about castor oil through the packs as suggested by Edgar Cayce. They worked wonders to heal from an injury years ago, and still use as needed for colds or flu. I suspect the daily use of this oil around my eyes may be the cause of improvement in my vision as well. Castor oil (cold-pressed, hexane-free) is relatively inexpensive at my local grocer here in the US.

Mariama said:
hlat said:

I put in on my face, hands, feet and so on and it feels wonderful, especially on my feet.

Hlat, I bought a small bottle of calendula elixer from a herbalist. I just mix a few drops with a bit of lard (half a teaspoon or so) and put it on the skin of my son and he will tell me if it is doing anything or not and if he can tolerate it.
Apparently, calendula also helps against windburn and dry chapped skin and lips, so to keep a bit of lard/calendula ointment ready would be a good idea.

Big surprise using the lard of the mangalitsa pig!! This superior pig species is celebrated for its high omega fats content, its unique pig DNA, the fact its "meat" is 50% fat, so it was a super pig mostly fed acorns ~120 years ago, before countries began killing acorn forests to create more grain fields, and before the meat industry popularized the normal "meat-pigs" [low quality and grain fed] around 1900 to serve the needs of increasing population.

Rubbed in its lard a size of half my little fingernail, until the top of my hand became shiny. The mangalitsa pig's fat tastes awesome, completely different from the lard of the low-quality normal "meat-pig" [pig having low fat content in its meat]. Also mangalitsa lard doesn't smell as offensive or "lardish" - when fresh or being cooked with.

Leave it to soak in. But the slight smell goes away, once you wash your hand with your soap.

Most surprising I found , that this lard very quickly healed the little red 'split skin wounds' and immediately moisturized my skin. It also provides extensive lasting protection preventing my skin going dry again during frequent dishwashing and exposure using cleaning fluids.

The Aloe Vera gel I bought for these bruises was ridiculously ineffective, slow and not lasting in "healing" compared to the wonder-healing power of the mangalitsa pig lard. Next time I get my feet bruised with dried cut stalks in the summer (country road jogging) I'll employ this lard.

It feels like I found a wonder cure for my notoriously dry skin, which isn't dry anymore and its couple days ago I first used this lard without repeating use!!!

Thank You All, who mentioned lard in this thread!

Back
Top Bottom