Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

Hi Keyhole,

I agree with Obyvatel's approach to finding something that society needs and values. If you wanted to get into the medical field, nurses are very much in demand. There are jobs that don't require you to jab people with vaccines (or other evil things) and it is a caring, service oriented profession. Just a thought. :)

I'd suggest, too, that after you collect information on various jobs, that you do EE focusing on that and how you could be useful to society, etc. If you leave it completely open (non-anticipating), you never know what might occur to you to do.

Best of luck!

Menrva said:
I agree with Obyvatel's approach to finding something that society needs and values. If you wanted to get into the medical field, nurses are very much in demand. There are jobs that don't require you to jab people with vaccines (or other evil things) and it is a caring, service oriented profession. Just a thought. :)

I used to think that about nursing too, now I'm doing it, not so much. It's like the military - only it pretends not to be. Besides in America, they'll sack you if you are doing a caring service oriented profession and you don't get vaccinated or push them onto other people. The system isn't that caring at all and it is the system that screws people over and forces them to do damaging things to themselves and others, just to survive. It pays to be mindful of what little power the individual truly has.

Comme vos commentaires sont intéressants, merci à vous de vos partages...
Keyhole, je vous sens excité par ce nouvel objectif et je le comprends bien... Ce que demande la société et la vérité sont divergentes...
Pour obtenir un diplôme il faut quelques fois mettre ses croyances dans sa poche...
Plus vous aurez de connaissances, mieux ce sera mais 3 ans de votre vie et une somme d'argent importante sont à prendre en considération...
Sur le net, on peut avoir beaucoup d'informations et sur notre forum aussi...
En lisant vos propos, il m'est venu l'idée d'un livre sur la nutrition que vous pourriez écrire en tenant compte de vos connaissances déjà acquises ici...
Personnellement, j'ai du mal à associer le régime Chasseur Cueilleur et Cétogène (beaucoup de produits laitiers)...
Félicitations pour votre persévérance et votre courage...

As comments are interesting, thank you to you to share your ...
Keyhole, I feel excited by this new objective you and I understand ... What the company and demand the truth are different ...
To get a degree it takes some time to put his beliefs into his pocket ...
You will have more knowledge, the better, but 3 years of your life and a significant amount of money are to be considered ...
On the net, one can have a lot of information on our forum and also ...
In reading your comments, I came up the idea of ​​a book on nutrition you could write taking into account your previous knowledge here ...
Personally, I find it hard to associate the ketogenic diet Hunter harvester and (many dairy products) ...
Congratulations for your perseverance and your courage ...

And another thing to take into account is that society actually tends to HATE what you would want to share, sometimes. For example, I have a friend here in France who is a naturopath. Fortunately for her, she doesn't leave the predetermined set of rules as to what you can say or cannot say. But it has taken her years to establish herself. And we know of others in a similar position who were accused of malpractice, trying to be a guru, a cult, etc. Just because they promoted the no-vaccines angle, the hunter-gatherer diet, etc. So, the ideas we have in the beginning of our studies have to be measured together with what we know about the world.

It's not impossible though! The syllabus looks ok, but pretty basic, something you could learn from the Internet and a few good books. So, is it worth the time, the energy and the money to get that degree? It looks like it's not always been your passion or anything. Doing it because you like biology and because people have told you in the past you should have done something related to diet, seems like a fairly weak reason to do it, if you are not 100% sure. FWIW.

FIXED: typos

Chu said:
And another thing to take into account is that society actually tends to HATE what you would want to share, sometimes. For example, I have a friend here in France who is a naturopath. Fortunately for her, she doesn't leave the predetermined set of rules as to what you can say or not say. But it has taken her years to establish herself. And we know of others in a similar position who were accused of malpractice, trying to be a guru, a cult, etc. Just because they promoted the no-vaccines angle, the hunter-gatherer diet, etc. So, the ideas we have in the beginning of our studies have to be measured together with what we know about the world.

It's not impossible though! The syllabus looks ok, but pretty basic, something you could learn from the Internet and a few good books. So, is it worth the time, the energy and the money to get that degree? It looks like it's not always been your passion or anything. Doing it because you like biology and because people have told you in the past you should have done something related to diet, seems like a fairly week reason to do it, if you are not 100% sure. FWIW.
Chu actually makes a really good point, you don't need to spend 13 grand to cover some of these topics. That's stuff you could study yourself at home for a fraction of the price and probably be able to cross reference what you read with forum/sott material to make sure your getting the whole banana.
I would maybe suggest the same to you as I did to Huxley and think about the short course angle where one to one teaching could be used for something that you need to be taught physically. Like a course in Indiana head massage or first aid or something community based like rehabilitation or social care. Which stems off from your current job.

To expand on what others have said, could you put your passion for learning this subject into studying the Diet and Health section of the forum, and all the recommended books on Diet/Health?
Having people who can help others with that (especially if it's a topic they are passionate about) is really good for everyone. You could expand on the topics and find things others haven't found yet too!

So rather than pour your energy/passion into a job, perhaps use it here where people would listen?
What does considering that make you think about a job?

Any job will then do, as long as it leaves you enough time and energy for your passion :)
Did you know that Einstein worked as a patent clerk?

Whatever you do, structuring things with time-frames and goals is important I think.

RedFox said:
To expand on what others have said, could you put your passion for learning this subject into studying the Diet and Health section of the forum, and all the recommended books on Diet/Health?
Having people who can help others with that (especially if it's a topic they are passionate about) is really good for everyone. You could expand on the topics and find things others haven't found yet too!

So rather than pour your energy/passion into a job, perhaps use it here where people would listen?

Any job will then do, as long as it leaves you enough time and energy for your passion :)
Did you know that Einstein worked as a patent clerk?

Whatever you do, structuring things with time-frames and goals is important I think.

Having thought about this myself since you mentioned it Keyhole, what lainey and Redfox have said really resonates with me. I too have the idea of a job that will benefit everyone around me and that I can live off. But objectively looking at the world around us, that is a really hard challenge to combine them both into one.
I think independent study and research, maybe afew courses here and there, would be a lot more character building than a degree or a long commitment to a course.
This would take reall effort to not only study independently, but also to become an obyvatel alongside it.

Keyhole said:
Huxley said:
Open University is something i do want to do in the future, possibly when i have got more control over the machine for study and concentration, but again i think finding the right topic and it being something we can study and then apply to our lives is the best type of course.
What did you study? It might be worth doing what lainey recommended. Dip your feet in a few things and you will have a better idea whether you would like to commit to something like that. I understand how you feel though, I study a lot at home with the recommended reading/forum, but something in me still wants to study officially for a qualification.

After going over this with some thought during tea, it sort of hit me that it may be a good idea to try and see if there is any program running in the bolded. For me, i would have to say there is.
Something sort of wants this validation from society, a 'qualification' as its called. I truly understand that to get places in the world we live, in a job, its come to the point where this certificate tells people your capabilities when applying for jobs. But i don't think this is the main reason people go to University or do degrees. I think its because, well, its what everyone just does? And if we arnt aiming for this, then we are not aiming for much... According to society that is. For the majority of people, I dont think there is a conscious mental process that plans out to get this worthless degree, to be able to position themselves and then aim at self establishment, fully knowing that this degree is worthless - but its a tool to get to a desired place.

So although we now can say that we do want a degree, for the above mentioned reason, we may actually just be narrating our way into following the herd to acquire this so called accomplishment.

My point is sort of simply; maybe we are still abit too integrated into societies wants, needs and goals. And a question should be asked; Am I aligning with this communities aim? Or are we just fooling our self. Will that degree benefit people around you? You could say yes, but i would say no it would not. The knowledge you acquire within study will be beneficial tool for others. So the degree itself is sort of the only way we know how to study due to our beautiful educational programming we have been blessed with. :huh:

For me, it really hit me the way lainey worded this sort of soul connection and longing to this community:

lainey said:
If I thought all this Work we do here, all this effort to share and grow, all the difficult dietary changes and physical exercise and cold showers was just for me, if I though for a second that I would be the only person that would benefit from it I wouldn't bother. I would be watching re runs of the X-files with a massive pizza having hot showers every day and partying at the weekend. But I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for everyone else because there are more important things than what I (it) want(s) to do. The world is burning and people are hurting and there is a small fraction of humanity who can see that and are asking for help to make positive changes. I think about the people here on this forum and everything that they have given me and I want to give something back. That's the point for me and this community here is like a rainbow after the storm.

Perhaps it was a bit too soon to decide, but I enrolled on the course today anyway. First of all, its technically not a degree. Its something akin to a degree, but it is designed for people who are working full time in their current jobs. Secondly, I found out that it is actually only £8500 for the course, which over three years is equivalent to less than £3000 each year.
obyvatel said:
An alternative approach to looking for an occupation is to leave aside "what I like" and look for "what does society value". The society, as we know, does not really value things which we would directly consider as good. So what we would consider good may not pay. Here it is possible to choose an approach where one does something that pays well i.e something that society values, while not taking up all one's time and energy. Then one can potentially work on something that one enjoys in one's free time instead of tying it to the need to support oneself.
Chu said:
It's not impossible though! The syllabus looks ok, but pretty basic, something you could learn from the Internet and a few good books. So, is it worth the time, the energy and the money to get that degree?
I spoke to the course coordinator and the lectures only make up 10 weekends throughout the year. Apparently the recommended study time each week amounts to 7 hours of my own time. When I am honest with myself, I know that 7 hours out of each week is almost always spent dissociating by watching pointless videos, scanning FB or just being lazy. So in terms of "time and energy", I actually think this might be a beneficial thing for me work on practicing self-discipline, with a clear aim which is important : to revise and to study. I find when there is no aim for the day, I get easily carried away with meaningless activities. The fact is that after these three years, I am professionally trained in something. I am not in the position where I can live in a community environment, so I kind of have to think about some of the options that are available for me to be able to survive in this world. I am barely surviving on the wage I am currently on, and there are very little options without qualifications.

Chu]It looks like[b] it's not always been your passion[/b] or anything. [/quote] [quote author=RedFox said:
The truth is that this simply isn't my passion. My passion was for acting on stage and for the performing arts. So I am not choosing this career because it is a passion (however I am very interested in nutrition, and any type of therapy has seemed to appeal to me). From the research I have done so far, it seems like Nutritional Therapy is only starting to become recognised by the National Health Service and seems to be a "booming industry". Perhaps I am making justifications for enrolling on the course, I can't trust what I am actually saying. But ATM I am thinking this could be a fruitful career path.

Reflecting on the rest of this thread, I think Luke Wilson may have been correct when he pointed out a few things. The main one being that I have been living in a moderate state of fear in anticipation of a great collapse in society. Imagination has played a large part in this, and I have been operating under the assumption that apocalyptic events will destroy the world as we know it - but "next month" never actually arrives in the sense I have always expected. Hence carpentry = A skill I thought I could use to benefit myself and others when the world collapsed. I don't think it is wise to live in a constant state of fear and anticipation like this. I choose to prepare for the worse, but also to devise a plan for the "best"... Does that sound like a silly thing? Because at the moment in my current state of mind I see as a responsible way of acting and trying to DO something, rather than spinning narratives to explain my intentions, deluding myself in the process.

RedFox said:
I will try to be honest RedFox, just the act thinking about doing a job that I do not enjoy makes feel extremely uncomfortable. I can think "yeah that would be possible", but I don't see any logical reason as to why I would place myself in a monotonous job when there are other viable options. This could just be an excuse I am using to avoid facing the possibility that I just simply can't "hack" the work ethic however. Working life kinda sucks if I'm honest.

Huxley said:
After going over this with some thought during tea, it sort of hit me that it may be a good idea to try and see if there is any program running in the bolded. For me, i would have to say there is.
Something sort of wants this validation from society, a 'qualification' as its called. I truly understand that to get places in the world we live, in a job, its come to the point where this certificate tells people your capabilities when applying for jobs. But i don't think this is the main reason people go to University or do degrees. I think its because, well, its what everyone just does? And if we arnt aiming for this, then we are not aiming for much... According to society that is. For the majority of people, I dont think there is a conscious mental process that plans out to get this worthless degree, to be able to position themselves and then aim at self establishment, fully knowing that this degree is worthless - but its a tool to get to a desired place.

So although we now can say that we do want a degree, for the above mentioned reason, we may actually just be narrating our way into following the herd to acquire this so called accomplishment.
I'll try and be honest, yes. There is a certain amount of officially recognised "accomplishment" that I would like to have. This is reflective of my level of self importance and is embarrassing to admit, but I kinda like the idea of being able to tell others that "I am a Nutritional Therapist", or "I am a Neuroscientist". Being in a position where others would acknowledge my level of intelligence and I guess to compliment me on that. Being in a position where I can offer advice to those who are asking is also something I tell myself to justify being moving toward a career like this. A possibilty (that I hope isn't the case) is that I am actually drawn to this profession because it will allow me to tell people "how things are" (which I enjoy way too much as it is :shock:) and essentially get paid for it.

Reading what I have just written shouts out NARCISSIST :scared: Cringeworthy huh!?

Hey Keyhole, I thought I'd share my personal professional experience. It seems relevant and I know how it feels wanting certifications. I think it depends on the situation as to their importance. There's the angle that they are useful in this world because they help you get a job, but there's also the idea that all you really need is the knowledge and/or ability to to the job.

So, I have just a generic 2 year degree. I didn't know what I wanted to do in college. I thought I would pursue art and do something like game design or animation, but got lazy about making a portfolio. So I graduated and after a year of laziness got a job as a janitor. I had some connections to the IT director, and due to that and my exemplified work performance I eventually got a job in the IT department.

Initially, I felt unqualified, as I didn't have a degree in computer science or something similar. I had taken only a few basic computer courses in college. But I've always been a bit of a techie and learned a lot on the job. I got some basic certifications like A+. But it really is about just learning the practical aspects that you face everyday. I felt that I was "naturally inducted" after a year or so and now everything is second nature. So I feel part of the team, and I feel like a "professional".

So long story short is that credentials and certifications are helpful, but in the end, it just comes down to: what do you know and can you do or learn the tasks? I hope this is helpful, fwiw and best of luck!

3D Student said:
Hey Keyhole, I thought I'd share my personal professional experience. It seems relevant and I know how it feels wanting certifications. I think it depends on the situation as to their importance. There's the angle that they are useful in this world because they help you get a job, but there's also the idea that all you really need is the knowledge and/or ability to to the job.

So, I have just a generic 2 year degree. I didn't know what I wanted to do in college. I thought I would pursue art and do something like game design or animation, but got lazy about making a portfolio. So I graduated and after a year of laziness got a job as a janitor. I had some connections to the IT director, and due to that and my exemplified work performance I eventually got a job in the IT department.

Initially, I felt unqualified, as I didn't have a degree in computer science or something similar. I had taken only a few basic computer courses in college. But I've always been a bit of a techie and learned a lot on the job. I got some basic certifications like A+. But it really is about just learning the practical aspects that you face everyday. I felt that I was "naturally inducted" after a year or so and now everything is second nature. So I feel part of the team, and I feel like a "professional".

So long story short is that credentials and certifications are helpful, but in the end, it just comes down to: what do you know and can you do or learn the tasks? I hope this is helpful, fwiw and best of luck!
Thanks for sharing you experiences 3D Student, and I am glad that things worked out well for you. With something like therapy, to be able to practice with a group of patients, having credentials is basically obligatory, so thats pretty much out of the question. I will commit to this for three years, and no more needs to be said at the moment.

I have probably spent way too much energy worrying about a career and asking others here for advice on which path I should take and many people have spent time and exerted energy in replying on this thread. I now feel like I will just be draining others by continuing this discussion. I made the choice and it is up to me to follow the path chosen :)

Keyhole said:
I spoke to the course coordinator and the lectures only make up 10 weekends throughout the year. Apparently the recommended study time each week amounts to 7 hours of my own time. When I am honest with myself, I know that 7 hours out of each week is almost always spent dissociating by watching pointless videos, scanning FB or just being lazy. So in terms of "time and energy", I actually think this might be a beneficial thing for me work on practicing self-discipline, with a clear aim which is important : to revise and to study. I find when there is no aim for the day, I get easily carried away with meaningless activities. The fact is that after these three years, I am professionally trained in something. I am not in the position where I can live in a community environment, so I kind of have to think about some of the options that are available for me to be able to survive in this world. I am barely surviving on the wage I am currently on, and there are very little options without qualifications.

I know that when I have been in similar situations, this has been true. Knuckling down to get a lot done with your time can be very good for you, even if it is only for the sake of practicing doing more. But do consider also that it will add more stress, and more stress will make you more likely to dissociate! So stress management is key :).

I will try to be honest RedFox, just the act thinking about doing a job that I do not enjoy makes feel extremely uncomfortable. I can think "yeah that would be possible", but I don't see any logical reason as to why I would place myself in a monotonous job when there are other viable options. This could just be an excuse I am using to avoid facing the possibility that I just simply can't "hack" the work ethic however. Working life kinda sucks if I'm honest.

If you don't want to just be a 'cog in the system', and think you can pull it off, then I have to say go for it. The universe rewards boldness. Even the C's have said the 9-5 is a trap. But do be prepared to take a job you dislike if it comes down to it, because you really never know what lessons are around the corner.

I'll try and be honest, yes. There is a certain amount of officially recognised "accomplishment" that I would like to have. This is reflective of my level of self importance and is embarrassing to admit, but I kinda like the idea of being able to tell others that "I am a Nutritional Therapist", or "I am a Neuroscientist". Being in a position where others would acknowledge my level of intelligence and I guess to compliment me on that. Being in a position where I can offer advice to those who are asking is also something I tell myself to justify being moving toward a career like this. A possibilty (that I hope isn't the case) is that I am actually drawn to this profession because it will allow me to tell people "how things are" (which I enjoy way too much as it is :shock: ) and essentially get paid for it.

Reading what I have just written shouts out NARCISSIST :scared: Cringeworthy huh!?

Well, it makes you no different to pretty much all humans on the planet, myself definitely included. At least you can see it, right?
Maybe we have our whole lives ahead of us to de-construct and grow past this narcissism. You don't necessarily need to turn down any position of status and clean toilets for the next 3 years just to combat your own self importance ;).

Keyhole said:
Thanks for sharing you experiences 3D Student, and I am glad that things worked out well for you. With something like therapy, to be able to practice with a group of patients, having credentials is basically obligatory, so thats pretty much out of the question. I will commit to this for three years, and no more needs to be said at the moment.

I have probably spent way too much energy worrying about a career and asking others here for advice on which path I should take and many people have spent time and exerted energy in replying on this thread. I now feel like I will just be draining others by continuing this discussion. I made the choice and it is up to me to follow the path chosen :)

Ok. But do keep us posted once in a while! If this is what you felt was right, and then made a decision to commit to it, go for it! At the very least, it will teach you to have more will power and consistency. And maybe much more, if you get to like it. Nothing wrong with that. :grad:

Carl said:
If you don't want to just be a 'cog in the system', and think you can pull it off, then I have to say go for it. The universe rewards boldness. Even the C's have said the 9-5 is a trap. But do be prepared to take a job you dislike if it comes down to it, because you really never know what lessons are around the corner.

Just for reference: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=34894.0

A: Nobody who obeys the "rules" can afford to "live," but if you refuse to play the game as you are told to, you will do quite well, indeed.

Q: (L) Okay. What do you mean by not playing by the rules? What rules?

A: The best way for us to answer that is for you to think out loud, and wait for our responses.

Q: (S) Rule one would be working at a regular job, 9 to 5, or 40 hours, whichever, and saving all your money and putting it in the bank.

A: Wait, one at a time.

Q: (L) Okay. The first one is that you have to have a "regular job."

A: "Trap" number one!

Q: (S) Rule number two is that you have to save your money.

A: You save your money by multiplying it, not storing it.

Q: (L) Are you saying that putting it in a bank is "storing" it?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Are you saying that money is only "saved" if it is multiplied?

A: Yes. When you store it in the bank, you are helping the Brotherhood AKA Illuminati AKA Antichrist multiply it for itself, all you get is the "crumbs" left over. And, the Antichrist can "call it in" anytime it wants to!

Back
Top Bottom