Keto recipes

hlat said:
I've made the custard using coconut milk many times and became good at it. Today I decided to substitute all coconut ingredients with lard. It doesn't look right. I don't know what went wrong. I did the exact same thing as I do with the coconut version.

Is that fat at the top? Looks like it has separated.

mugatea said:
hlat said:
I've made the custard using coconut milk many times and became good at it. Today I decided to substitute all coconut ingredients with lard. It doesn't look right. I don't know what went wrong. I did the exact same thing as I do with the coconut version.

Yes it looks like the fat separated. I don't know why it happened with the lard only recipe, and not with the coconut milk recipe.

If it curdles and you can't save it you can put it in an ice bath and stir until it becomes thick, that way it doesn't settle out and it's still edible although not quite the same.

hlat said:
mugatea said:
hlat said:

Yes it looks like the fat separated. I don't know why it happened with the lard only recipe, and not with the coconut milk recipe.

I'm no cook but did you add eggs at the right 70c temp?

Yes, I waited until 70C, then took the pot off the stove. Then I had the immersion blender on as I drizzled in the egg yolk. After that, I put the pot back on the stove. I had the immersion blender going occassionally and took off the stove when it reached 70C again.

hlat said:
Yes, I waited until 70C, then took the pot off the stove. Then I had the immersion blender on as I drizzled in the egg yolk. After that, I put the pot back on the stove. I had the immersion blender going occassionally and took off the stove when it reached 70C again.
What exact ingredients did you use?

Sounds like you may not have blended it enough.

lilyalic & itellsya, & to any other UK members, here's a butchers that you may be able to use, depending on finances. http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk

Some info on them from their "about us" page:

Firstly, let’s get one thing straight, we're not farmers, just a small, family-run company with a passion for meat that tastes the way it used to.

Our concept is simple. We choose the finest, naturally reared meat from Traditional and Rare breeds and then dry age it on the bone – resulting in melting succulence and a divine flavour. Each cut is prepared by hand to your liking, before being wrapped in paper and carefully boxed. Delivery is quick so you can get cooking within 24 hours.*

Their "butcher's shop" page:

Artisan flair and flavour
A lifelong ambition fulfilled, Turner & George, Meat Merchants of London is now open for business at 399 St John St. EC1V 4LB.

One of the only surviving New River Company houses on the street, No. 399 was originally constructed just prior to the Victorian era and probably much rebuilt around 1845. Here it remained a butcher’s shop until the 1900’s.

Restored to its glorious heyday, this is where you’ll find a warm welcome, scrubbed shelves and gleaming hooks laden with high quality, rare breed meat. We use traditional cutting techniques, make our own sausages and burgers, and combine all this with a contemporary knowledge of taste and cooking.

We're open Monday to Saturday. Opening hours are 10am – 7pm (4pm Mon, 5pm Sat)

To speak to us at the shop, call 020 7837 1781 and select option 1.

Their contact page: http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/contact.html/

And lastly from their FAQ'S page:

FAQ's
Q: Where does your meat come from?

A: Our meat is sourced from various farms and smallholdings around the UK. We have personal and longstanding relationships with our farmers, and can guarantee the provenance of all our meat. We know and have visited the fields and pastures that our animals lived on, and know that they went from there to slaughter, and then directly to us.

Q: Has your meat ever been frozen?

A: No. It all comes fresh from the slaughter house and is then aged for the relevant times in our drying room. This makes it ideal for home freezing. If you know in advance that you will be freezing certain cuts, you can ask for them to be vacuum packed. Just let us know in the special requests field on the delivery page.

Q: How long will your meat keep for in the fridge?

A: All our meat is printed with an individual use-by date on the label as the cut is wrapped. We generally give 4 days for traditionally wrapped meat, and 9 days for vacuum packed cuts. If you know you are not going to eat your meat until the very end of the use-by date it's worth checking on it before that time to make sure it's in good condition. To keep in perfect condition right until the end of it's fridge life, cuts should be kept between 0°C & 4°C and as dry as possible. With domestic fridges it's easy for them to drop below ideal temperatures with the door being opened a lot, and specially during warm weather. Also with other items such as vegetables, salad and liquids in the fridge the meat and it's wrappging can become damp. This should be avoided if possbile. If the paper wrapping has become damp you should remove it, dry the cut and re-pack into a freezer or ziplock bag, squeezing out as much of the air as possible before sealing. If you are in doubt as to whether the cut will be eaten before it's use-by date, it would be advisable to freeze it. See below for our tips on home freezing.

Q: Do you recommend home freezing, and if so do you have any tips?

A: Whilst we think there is nothing better than freshly cut dry-aged meat, if freezing and defrosting are done carefully the results can be very good. In actuality the process of freezing causes cells to burst within the meat, which will soften the texture, but if done properly this can be be barely detectable and won't effect flavour. In fact, some will say that this can improve tougher cuts. Here are our tips:

Freezing
If you have asked for the cuts to be vacuum packed do not open them. This is ideal for freezing just remember to label them including a date.

Otherwise if in normal wrapping first:
- Remove all packaging from the meat, including pad and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place each cut separately (burgers ok in 2 or 3's with the paper separators remaining) into good quality freezer bags – the ziplock kind are best – and squeeze out as much air as you can before sealing.
- Place into freezer as flat as possible, stacking up is fine just try not to wedge into any corners.

Defrosting
- Remove from freezer and place into fridge 24 hours before use. Best to place the bags on a plate in case of any leakage.
- Remove from fridge to the coolest part of the kitchen 1-2 hours before cooking.

Recommended freezing times for meat are:
- Beef: 6-12 months
- Pork: 4-6 months
- Lamb: 6-9 months

Q: Can you deliver next day?

A: You can order for next day delivery in London up until 8pm the evening before as long as there are still delivery slots available. Friday and Saturdays are generally busier than the rest of the week so we advise booking early for these slots. Next day delivery is not possible to the rest of mainland UK. We only deliver Wednesday through Friday to mainland UK and you need to order 48 hours in advance.

Their meat is, I've been told, is grass-fed. Can't remember about grass-finished though. They say on their pages that the dripping is £1.20 but I get it for £1 - that's a 500g block. The guy I deal with says that they'd have to order lard but I prefer it in the shop so I make do with the dripping. They are "niche" apparently, & as in quoted they deal with rare breeds which is why some prices are high. I haven't paid that much attention to the pricey stuff as I have limited funds too, I just stick with mince. Last week by chance, I saw a big vacuum sealed pack of chicken (I think they were thighs) that they were preparing for some restaurants. I mean this thing was PACKED & I haven't a clue about weight (which they always tell me & I respond with "that literally means nothing to me!") as I need to SEE what the thing is if I'm to understand what the weight "translates" to. Anyway I asked the junior butcher serving me the cut & weight & he told me but said that it was only to restaurants. Fortunately one of the head butchers (he's in one of the pictures on the Google search) said that if I wanted to buy it, then he should sell it to me. Unfortunately, he didn't know the price or weight (exactly) so since then I've had to remind him to find out for me. He did guess the probable size & weight (they're extremely busy, I go there early) & reckoned that there must be around FIFTY in there. He estimated a price based on kg (which went in one ear & out the other on my part) & said something around £15 or less. Dunno, but it sounds good to me. Their whole chicken is nearer to £20!

So, I don't know if it's a good option, or even if it IS an option for those up north (I'm currently in west London) but I hope it could be. I had them in mind as the discussion about fats was developing but I hesitated as I assumed you guys would be far up north, & I didn't have all the details about the company. Other than what I had searched for & since I know nobody interested in taking care of their health, I didn't think of recommending them to others as I normally would, which always includes doing the research before passing it on. Anyway, that's the best I've come up with in 2 and a bit years of searching. Hopefully someone gets some benefit from it.

truth seeker said:
hlat said:
What exact ingredients did you use?

Sounds like you may not have blended it enough.
Yes, it does look like I didn't blend enough. I took another look at the recipe and see that I was supposed to be stirring constantly after I put the pot back on the stove. Also, the ingredients are fairly different between the coconut and lard only versions. I was not careful and just merely substituted the coconut milk for lard.

Do you think I can try to save the batch by reheating it and adding 0.75 liter water?

This had been my ingredient list for the coconut version.
2 cans of coconut milk (1 can 400 mL)
1 pound sweet butter rendered into ghee
3/4 cup lard
2 tsps of plain (knox or other) gelatin
5 tablespoons erythritol
19 egg yolks
4 teaspoons of vanilla
3 tablespoons of plain cocoa

I put the custard back into the pot on the stove, turned on the flame, added 0.75 liter of water and 2 Tbsp gelatin, and used the immersion blender on it for a few minutes. It looked the way it is supposed to look, except maybe a little bit on the thick side. Tomorrow for lunch I'll see how it tastes.

hlat said:
I put the custard back into the pot on the stove, turned on the flame, added 0.75 liter of water and 2 Tbsp gelatin, and used the immersion blender on it for a few minutes. It looked the way it is supposed to look, except maybe a little bit on the thick side. Tomorrow for lunch I'll see how it tastes.
Sounds good. Yes, I think it'll be fine. Don't hesitate to taste as you go along so you can adjust the flavoring, especially when adding water. Also, sometimes the gelatin's effects can take a while to 'kick in'. Usually when it's been refrigerated and then put back on the stove, the reheated version does seem a bit thicker, especially with the lard. It's okay though, as with everything, it can take a few tries before we get where we want to go so no worries.

With the egg versions, if it doesn't blend, I think the issue is usually either not enough eggs or not enough blending as eggs emulsify really well.

Last week I tried the no egg completely lard version with lecithin in it and could tell that it wasn't going to blend properly even before I put it in the fridge. I put it in anyway and in the morning re-blended while cold. It was okay (I eat it more for the fat than the flavor), but I'll give it another go and see what happens with the next batch.

hlat said:

When I tried using just lard or tallow it would also separate on me even though I was following the directions. One thing I didn't do was put the bowl into ice water, just cold tap water so that could have been part of the issue. I stuck in it in the fridge to figure out what to do with it later. I then discovered that adding a half can of coconut milk after melting it again made everything come together quite nicely. You will end up with a bit coconut milk in it but it's another way of 'rescuing' the fat bomb.

fabric said:
hlat said:

When I tried using just lard or tallow it would also separate on me even though I was following the directions. One thing I didn't do was put the bowl into ice water, just cold tap water so that could have been part of the issue. I stuck in it in the fridge to figure out what to do with it later. I then discovered that adding a half can of coconut milk after melting it again made everything come together quite nicely. You will end up with a bit coconut milk in it but it's another way of 'rescuing' the fat bomb.
I decided to try making it without any coconut due to the warnings that coconut might be bad for us. The ingredients for the coconut versus lard versions are different. There's a lot of water needed for the lard version.

I got pretty good at making the coconut version, after tips and help at a meet up. I also just use tap water instead of ice water, but I do dump the water and refill once after the water gets a bit warm.

I definitely need to follow the lard recipe, which called for more erythritol. I think the sweetness will help mask the lard flavor. I can force myself to eat this batch.

hlat said:
I definitely need to follow the lard recipe, which called for more erythritol. I think the sweetness will help mask the lard flavor. I can force myself to eat this batch.
Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) can also help with the flavoring and the good thing about having to use extra water is that it can be flavored with teabags as well. I once did one with a pomegranate tea, lemon extract and lemon juice. The tartness of the lemon juice (if you like that flavor) can also help mask the lard and be substituted, in part, for water. Lime juice too.

Ascien said:
lilyalic & itellsya, & to any other UK members, here's a butchers that you may be able to use, depending on finances. http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk

Thankyou Ascien, are you able to find out whether it is 100% grass finished?

We get our meat from a wonderful community farm initiative in Shropshire. They do delivery anywhere in the UK for £10-15, 100% grass finished cows, lamb and 100% pasture fed pigs, organic chickens and locally sourced venison :D, you can even buy local salmon! They also have deals online such as "buy two get two free" on some of the products.

You can find them at http://www.fordhallfarm.com/

P.s I would recommend pigs liver funds are low! Its £4.59 a kg ;D

Back
Top Bottom