kitty is losing her fur

Here are a few pics. They are just starting to ooen their eyes and are big and healthy. I have no idea how she did it as she is so small but i was sleeping right next to her and didnt hear a peep out of her.

EDIT: my phone isnt letting me post the pics. I will keep trying.

Attachments

• 20140811_113759.jpg
    20140811_113759.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 101
Still trying to post pics.
:)

Attachments

• 20140819_123516.jpg
    20140819_123516.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20140819_123440.jpg
    20140819_123440.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 86
davey72 said:
Still trying to post pics.
:)

They are so cute and mama is so pretty. :) Just remember, that nursing cats require more food and more often. I assume she is on a raw diet, or "what ever she catches on the farm" diet? In any case, since she'll be roaming around less, maybe you can help her out with some ground beef or something.

I have a pretty good quality cat food but give her lots of deer and grass fed beef. And yes she is eating a lot. It concerns me that she was never playful and i doubt she has ever even caught a mouse. I wonder if this is completley learned behaviiur ir genetic as she was basically born wild outside.

Minas Tirith said:
Cute, thanks for posting! So the father was probably a tabby :D
Geez, I wish I could take one ...

M.T.

Likely more than one father as the neighbor has many wild cats.

I wish you could take one too. :)

davey72 said:
Minas Tirith said:
Cute, thanks for posting! So the father was probably a tabby :D
Geez, I wish I could take one ...

M.T.

Likely more than one father as the neighbor has many wild cats.

I wish you could take one too. :)

Very cute, Davey.

What you say above could be quite true. I read somewhere that cats (maybe other animals, too) release several eggs to be impregnated so that there could be different fathers for the kittens.

Yes it is true that cats are basically gangraped. I have seen it before. It is very violent and does not look pleasent for the female at all. Also the eggs are stimulated by the males penis as it is barbed and the ripping from it on the way out is what stimulates the release of the eggs. Very strange. On a lighter note i recently found out that dogs can have litters with more than one father as well.

Nienna said:
What you say above could be quite true. I read somewhere that cats (maybe other animals, too) release several eggs to be impregnated so that there could be different fathers for the kittens.

Yep!

_http://pets.thenest.com/can-cats-litter-two-different-fathers-8341.html
Ovulation
Female felines do not release eggs from their ovaries until stimulated by the mating process. This is called induced ovulation and usually occurs from 20 to 50 hours after mating. Miss Kitty is likely to breed several times, and with different tom cats, before her body tells her ovulation has begun. This is why her kittens can have different dads -- there can be sperm from several different males in her reproductive tract as the eggs are fertilized.

Superfecundation
The term for two or more eggs from the same heat cycle being fertilized by different sets of sperm is called superfecundation. It is not unique to cats, but is also common in dogs. Although not likely, it is theoretically possible for every single member of a litter to have a different father. Though extremely rare, it is even possible in human twins!

I suppose this is an update of sorts with another problem. Kosmos is at a friends right now nursing her second litter as she got pregnant before i could get her fixed and i moved into the section beside where i was. Her kittens all foind good homes. I sold the tourteshell to a nice couple in the city which payed for the trip into the city. Three are living at the farm where my pig and her babies are and i have one of the boys with me. Well awhile ago he had a sore on the back of his neck. I wasnt sure what it was and it basically healed up. Now one of the females at the other farm had the same thing or at least that is how it started out. It has gotten very bad and i am sure her scratching it has been making it worse. This happened to both around the same time but they had been seperated for awhile. Interestingly the other two havent had a problem and thry have been fixed. Anyways im not sire what i can do. I could probably take her back for a couple weeks to treat her or let nature take its course. I dont see how it will get better on its own though. I am curious as to what it could be. The first main scab looks almost like a fungus. I will post the best pic i have but she is tricky to photograph.

Attachments

• 20150418_160357.jpg
    20150418_160357.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20150418_160136.jpg
    20150418_160136.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 38
I think it is a reliable diagnostic tool sampling of the lesion to be sent to a laboratory where it cultivates the cause. Cultivation process takes 2-12 days, so if there is any doubt, usually immediately begins with therapy.
Quote:

Making a diagnosis
A veterinarian diagnoses based on a review of skin and hair animals and examination under ultraviolet light (Wood's lamp), observing the fluorescence of infected skin. For an accurate diagnosis cultivate filings skin and broken off hairs. Given the fact that cultivation takes up to two weeks, therapy begins before making a definitive diagnosis. In the same time the man carried a dermatologist.

Treatment of dermatophyte infections
Although the majority of dogs and cats fungal infections resolve spontaneously after three or four months, treatment is usually done to avoid infecting other animals and humans. Therapy can be a local, lubrication greases containing antifungals such as miconazole or ketoconazole or swimming animals shampoo containing miconazole. Haircut animals do not always recommended because fungi grow great just to coat the young stage of its growth and infection were observed in the animals just after cutting. However, the long-haired animal hair be shortened to the drug could be applied to the affected area.

In extensive animal infections are treated with oral antifungal (griseofulvin or ketoconazole) that are put into the food. The treatment takes a long time from two to eight weeks, and at least two weeks after the withdrawal symptoms of the disease, and with the treatment are very important general hygienic measures: keeping clean environment in which animals have lived and mandatory hand washing immediately after touching animals or cleaning her place of residence.
Hope that helps

Thanks Casper. Unfortunately she is a farm cat not even living with me. I am gonna try to find some sulphur and zinc type of compound as was mentioned for her mother earlier in the thread but other than that im not sure there is much i can do for her. Ijust found it odd. It almost seems like a genetic predisposition.

Possibility of Being said:
From the pictures it looks as if it could be scabies (mange, sarcoptic mange). Be careful because if that's what it is, it's contagious.
This is the weird part is it doesnt seem to be contagious. And the main scab looks fungal to me. Not that i would really know what that is.

davey72 said:
Possibility of Being said:
From the pictures it looks as if it could be scabies (mange, sarcoptic mange). Be careful because if that's what it is, it's contagious.
This is the weird part is it doesnt seem to be contagious. And the main scab looks fungal to me. Not that i would really know what that is.

Well, as far as I know, Sarcoptes scabiei (the one that can infect humans too) is rare in cats. They get their own pathogen Notoedres cati much more often. It isn't contagious for humans. In any case, if you can't do a scrape and determine the nature of the scab, I guess using sulfur ointment will do no harm, since it's the usual treatment in case of many skin problems caused by ticks or fungus. By the way, in many cases if it's a fungus, there is a smell. Does the scab smell?

Back
Top Bottom