Search for "wi-fi"

dredger

The Living Force
Hi,
After having read a recent article (http://fr.sott.net/article/23483-Un-expert-de-la-Navy-revele-que-les-micro-ondes-sont-couramment-employees-comme-une-arme-pour-rendre-malades-les-gens-et-denonce-l-extreme-danger-du-Wi-Fi-pour-les-femmes) I used the search function and tried on "wi-fi", but search engine fails. even when I capture with double quotes (""). I find anyway articles on "wifi", but I'm pretty sure I miss many articles titled with "wi-fi" instead of "wifi". The problem is probably the same for other terms which may use a "-" separator.
Using google help to find some article with "wi-fi", but it's using google ...

My question is if this would be possible to improve the search engine to allow the possibility to search with separators "Wi-fi" and that it works ?
You can later eventually create a kind of meta-terms dictionnary which would associate "wifi, wi fi, wi-fi" + all uppercase/lowercase forms, and once one of these exact "typos" are typed in the search bar, performs a search on all the terms - this can be an option to check/uncheck, or a user account preference ...

But at first, if you could do in order that you can use the "-" in the query this would be nice.

Cheers,

Mod's note: The link has been activated since the fr.sott website is a great website. ;)

I just tried searching by "wi-fi" (with quotes) in the search bar and it worked for me. I get 9 hits, your post included. Maybe you weren't searching by Entire Forum when you tried?

Hello Ignis,
Sorry about I should have more precised that it's concerning the search function on the fr.sott.net website, not the forum search function.

Cheers,

dredger said:
Hi,
After having read a recent article (http://fr.sott.net/article/23483-Un-expert-de-la-Navy-revele-que-les-micro-ondes-sont-couramment-employees-comme-une-arme-pour-rendre-malades-les-gens-et-denonce-l-extreme-danger-du-Wi-Fi-pour-les-femmes) I used the search function and tried on "wi-fi", but search engine fails. even when I capture with double quotes (""). I find anyway articles on "wifi", but I'm pretty sure I miss many articles titled with "wi-fi" instead of "wifi". The problem is probably the same for other terms which may use a "-" separator.

My question is if this would be possible to improve the search engine to allow the possibility to search with separators "Wi-fi" and that it works ?

Not easily, no. There are several limitations to the SOTT search function, and they are a trade-off. We can't have a lightning-fast, mostly effective, and more DoS-proof search function, AND have it search perfectly like Google does. That's why I added the Google search option.

I figured there is also a trade-off in time/energy, so there was no point in reinventing the wheel.

Mr. Scott said:
dredger said:
Hi,

Not easily, no. There are several limitations to the SOTT search function, and they are a trade-off. We can't have a lightning-fast, mostly effective, and more DoS-proof search function, AND have it search perfectly like Google does. That's why I added the Google search option.

I figured there is also a trade-off in time/energy, so there was no point in reinventing the wheel.

I usually use the Google search option when I want to find something on SOTT. It actually works quite well for me. Maybe you can give that a try and see how it goes?

Pashalis said:
I usually use the Google search option when I want to find something on SOTT. It actually works quite well for me. Maybe you can give that a try and see how it goes?

I just tried it with 'wi-fi' and it works like a charm! I got 486 results! :thup:

Hi all,

Yes, it works well with google, but this was the point.
By using google search, you feed them with metadata about search habitudes of sott readers - i don't know if this kind of information may be of any use for anyone who would collect them (?) and I know that if 4th ones want to know they will know ... but at least I felt worth it to post about improving the internal search engine, it should not require too much configuration, or development, at first glance ...

Forget about the idea if you are happy with google, maybe I'm the lone one who never use it :)

Back
Top Bottom