Being Erica

Woodsman

The Living Force
A little Canadian gem.

"Being Erica" is a short series about Therapy and Self-Work through... Time Travel?

It seems like something which could have been scripted by SOTT forum members, minus the world events and greater complexities of 4D interference. It focuses entirely on getting one's head together and it does so in a fascinating manner. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

I don't get mushy over stuff very often, but I found this to be just really nice, and really smart and really healthy. That's an uncommon combination.

After reading your post I have watch the first season.

Interresting, we can see it as self remembering.

There were a few interesting elements which stood out;

It was like the doctors were operating from a 4th Density playing field, both space-wise and perception-wise. Using will, and props like doors, to jump from any point in space and "time" to any other, into different bodies, etc., reminds me of some of the descriptions made by the C's. -This early session in particular: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34891

Also, the process of the learning/teaching as the students moved up to doctor training reminded me of the Gurdjieffian system; part of advancing to the next step/s requires one to helping up those on the steps behind.

Anyway.., it's still just TV, but as such things go it was refreshing to see something which didn't thunder with the same kind of pounding psychopathic attitude that dominates so much of the media today.

Thanks for the suggestion Woodsman. I found this series quite refreshing from anything south of the Canadian border. It is a gem. I've just made it to season three, enjoying every episode along the way. Each is a stirring reminder of lessons learned or yet to be learned. So impressed was I, that I've even appended one of Dr. Tom's quotes to my signature.

:/ Well, I tried a few episodes a month or two ago and had to stop as the plotline was exactly the same in every episode. Does it ever change? Didn't seem really 'helpful' on our level of existence, but perhaps in the afterlife, 5d, as an example of how a previous lifetime might be 'reviewed'?

Every issue she had she was encouraged by her 'therapist' to go back and 'fix' things, instead of attempting to deal with the results here and now. Seemed a little too fantasy like one of those RPG's, not that I've ever seen or played them, but some of them make really good animes. :cool: especially in the manipulation of the viewers emotions etc. I made it up to the episode in which her male friend moves in next door to her in the same apt complex. Did it get better or just more of the same classic plotlines? It seemed too predictable, had to stop... and 'the work' she was doing seemed more wishful thinking about her past, having her problems stem merely from 'bad choices' and not fixed or blueprinted situations that couldn't be changed.

Did any originality ever enter the picture after the first episode?
I remember another Brit? series... only one season from what I remember, but then maybe PBS didn't carry anymore... it had recently deceased people coming back to 'help' those they left behind... perhaps with thoughts as they couldn't be seen.... like ghost companions... their presence could at times be felt... from what little I remember.. and when they sensed a balance in the situation they left behind, they departed for good.... then the next episode would start with a new character and their situation. Can't remember its name... it was a number of years ago.... 10 maybe? Production values seemed better though, as this 'Erica' series seemed locked into the usual staged tv series look, which no doubt helped control production costs.

It follows a definite formula.

I don't think it engages in wishful thinking, however. With wishful thinking, you don't examine your mistakes and character flaws, because, gosh durn it, you don't have any! Any problems are always somebody else's fault. Ta Da! Perfection with zero work!

Reviewing one's past actions is key to understanding and altering the self in the now. This show uses an over-the-top mechanic for exploring this, I think for the sake of audience engagement.

It's also a subtle way, I think, to suggest new ways of thinking about how we interact with 'time'.

I found it interesting when the main character has to begin group training. The episodes dealing with violence and its addictive/destructive qualities are unusual to say the least on TV.

I´ve seen some of it.

I think it is made on the formula of "It´s a wonderful life" which is a wonderful film.

I don´t think the show is terribly deep though, but not terribly terrible either..

I was thinking more about why this program struck a chord with me.

We live in a world where TV fiction is dominated by violence, poorly realized character writing and horrible people doing horrible things to each other, swinging between the poles of psychopathy and victimhood... And I can see why a population would be fascinated by that material. The Walking Dead and the Games of Thrones. -It's a way of understanding what the world is going through, particularly if a population isn't particularly well-educated in the science and study of psychopathy and history; the subconscious is probably (I think) going to be drawn to studying the problem after its own fashion, through stories.

The danger as I see it, though, is a matter of resonance. When everybody slips into the hypno-drama of Game of Thrones.., I think this can have the effect of changing the vibration of entire populations. "Reality is cynical and it is normal for people to treat each other like garbage. Let's get with the program!" There's a fine line between study and being influenced. Video games take normal people and have them simulate endless killing. I find it freaky to walk around my community and know that many of the people around me have spent hundreds of hours perpetrating countless virtual murders. -Or knowing that they absorb the kind of utterly poisonous TV programming popular today.

That's how you win "hearts and minds".

The thing I liked about Being Erica was that it seemed to be attempting to vibrate in the opposite direction. "We are aware of the problems. What are the solutions, and how can we introduce them to people who have been conditioned to seek primarily toxic programming?"

It had its limitations and problems. -It didn't make any effort to recognize psychopathy for one. And I found its later focus on gay culture a bit curious as well, given what the C's had to say about things like Gay Pride being a CIA inspired effort.

But the idea that a piece of popular (at least in Canada) programming made the concept of Self-Work the focus is fairly unusual.

There's an Americanized version airing now called, "Hindsight" which is astonishing in its contrast. Distilled sickness and lack of insight. It appears, among other things, to be one long product placement for alcohol consumption.

I wouldn't characterize Being Erica as a must-watch piece of media for those studying the world in earnest. It's more a, "Whoa! Look at what this piece of media tried to do."

I find the battleground of media, the War for Hearts and Minds, (the battle for Frequency) to be utterly fascinating. The Good Guys are losing by a hopelessly wide margin, (we live in a world where "Iron Man", the ultimate materialist with technology grafted onto his heart, is the big box office hero), but it's still a very interesting battle to monitor.

I think you are making some good points Woodsman, but as you say
Woodsman said:
I wouldn't characterize Being Erica as a must-watch piece of media for those studying the world in earnest. It's more a, "Whoa! Look at what this piece of media tried to do."

I think what bothers me with the show is that it's sugarcoated, but I don´t think it has the subliminal psychopathic messages that many (most) shows have, (or I haven´t noticed)
and it´s easy to trash a show for not being perfect, but that in a world like this, something going in the direction of something good should be applauded.

Back
Top Bottom