Wierdly excited about the Apocalypse much?

theos

The Living Force
Is anyone experiencing the following? I confess that I am. I've always had a thing for disaster and post-apocalyptic movies and books. When thinking of disasters, including Ebola, I don't really dwell on the suffering and devastation that would occur as it rolls out but I do picture the aspect of the "global reset" afterwards (people banding together and having to rely on their wits to survive) and what that may be like. I found this related article.

_http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/ebola-news-gives-guilty-thrill-crazy-93002/

Ebola News Gives Me a Guilty Thrill. Am I Crazy?

Folks speak blithely about their guilty pleasures. But if you get a little thrill when you contemplate the worldwide obliteration of society in a horrific Armageddon, have you crossed a line from “person with a guilty pleasure” to “person who is a dangerous psychopath”?

This was a question that wrecked most of one afternoon following a discussion of Ebola with some co-workers. We were brainstorming ideas for stories about the awful pandemic, and the topic of American preparedness came up. Although Ebola seems decently isolated on our shores, public health officials are girding our infrastructure for worst-case scenarios.

I made the following confession: Although obviously the West African Ebola crisis sickens and saddens me, and although I of course don’t want Ebola to run rampant … whenever I hear about the idea of our nation crumbling in an apocalyptic plague, I get an amoral twinge of excitement. It’s a tiny but unavoidable rush, not unlike the burst one feels when a rollercoaster begins to crest a hill, or when Darth Vader flicks on his lightsaber for the climactic battle of The Empire Strikes Back. I feel a similar frisson when it seems like a geopolitical crisis is bringing us to the brink of World War III (all summer, every time I read about ISIS’s march, I felt a jolt). I’m not proud of the way I feel, but it never goes away.

Surely, I thought, at least some of my journalist coworkers could relate. They could not. “Dude,” one muttered to me. “That’s kinda -flicked- up.” Red-faced, I took to Gchat and iMessage to see if any non-work friends felt a similar electricity when they considered a real-world apocalypse. “Not really,” said one. “I don’t get scared, but I don’t get excited, either,” said another. “I don’t even want to be homeless in America, much less experience The Road,” said one of my dearest pals.

My pondering had turned to mild panic. Was I crazy? Or at least, in the immortal words of Matchbox 20, just a little unwell? I sought journalists’ favorite kind of professional help: I called up some researchers, specifically, in this case, those who had studied humanity’s fixation on end-of-the-world scenarios. I began each interview by asking if I was crazy for having my shameful thrills about apocalyptic news.

“I have that, too!” exclaimed University of Minnesota neuroscientist Shmuel Lissek (to my great relief). The idea of Armageddon “wakens your autonomic nervous system,” he says. “Your heart starts beating faster, you start breathing faster, your sweat glands engage. There’s a certain exhilaration from that idea, and one can enjoy that kind of arousal, especially if there’s a part of you that knows it won’t happen.” Well, what about if you think that it is highly likely that it will happen?

Lissek’s research on the human fear-response suggests that apocalyptic exhilaration is actually the product of useful evolutionary traits. “We’d rather have a false alarm than miss a potential threat,” he says. “Organisms endowed with brain circuitry leading them to take even minor threats”—such as the unlikely prospect of a worldwide Ebola outbreak—”seriously are more likely to pass on their genes.” Plus, he says, “Life gets boring with the in and out routine of our daily lives, so having something like [the apocalypse] be a possibility is exciting.”

Of course, cautions Lissek, some balance is in order here. “When the apocalypse is in the hypothetical, it’s normal for the excitement to be stronger than the fear,” he says. “If it’s not in the hypothetical and you’re seeing the devastation and you’re more excited than distraught, then you’re in the psychopathic range.”

But University of California-San Diego psychologist Nicholas Christenfeld has a slightly different take. He agrees that my feelings were in the normal range for humans, but said that those feelings were the result of an irrational aspect of human cognition.

“If you hear about a horrible tragedy that kills 1,200 people, there’s some part of us that thinks, Just 1,200? But 120,000 would be so much cooler!” Christenfeld says it’s part of a quirky divide in human thought when we experience or hear about any kind of massive event, be it a natural disaster or a well-executed air-show performance from the Blue Angels. On the one hand, we recognize the valence of our emotions—a judgment about whether the thing we’re experiencing is good or bad. But we also recognize the magnitude of the emotion—the degree to which it’s big or rare.

“In humans, to some extent, the valence is secondary,” Christenfeld says. “One could run up the magnitude and make things more exciting and engrossing, regardless of whether the thing you’re thinking about is good or bad.” He compares it to the experience of enjoying a tragic movie in which the protagonists die. “You’ll say, ‘It was so gripping! I wept!’ It’s not that you liked that they died, but you liked the intensity of the emotion,” he says. “These apocalypses are tapping into that same two-factor experience. The vast scale of the destruction would be awesome, in the literal definition of that word.”

Other experts suspected my excitement might have to do with contemplating the world that would come after a society-destroying plague. “We’re so stressed and overloaded, that you can start to think, Wouldn’t life be simpler if things just broke down?” says Jeff Greenberg, a social psychologist at the University of Arizona. “As long as we’re among the survivors, life gets simpler. In a world like ours right now, the idea of being heroic and doing the right thing is so complex that we don’t know what it might even be. But in a post-apocalyptic world, we’d have simpler ways to know what the right thing is.”

Along similar lines, University of California-Davis sociologist John R. Hall drew a parallel between my thinking and people’s endless fascination with the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. “When you have a phenomenon like 9/11, it’s literally a disclosure, which is the Greek meaning of the word,” he says. “It unveils an understanding of the world that is beyond what any of us possessed before or could’ve imagined having. Apocalyptic events seriously draw into question people’s taken-for-granted understanding of their worlds.” In other words, the end of the world as we know it can show the world as it always really was, beneath the veneer of stability.

These conversations put me somewhat at ease about my own mental health (at least in this particular matter). And all of the experts I spoke with emphasized that, as long as I don’t have a desire to bring about the end times (I don’t), I pose no threat to society.

But a new question popped up: If humans are predisposed to find apocalyptic scenarios exciting, couldn’t that numb our feelings of urgency about preventing the apocalypse? Even if we don’t want to speed it along, would my (and others’) desire for thrills subconsciously keep me from wanting to avert disaster? None of the experts I spoke with had a conclusive answer, though none of them seemed too worried about it. However, guilty creature that I am, I raced to the website of Doctors Without Borders and made a donation. I, like all sane people, continue to hope the crippling crisis in Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea will come to an end soon.

Speaking of guilt, there’s one last tidbit I should mention. Greenberg, the social psychologist, pointed out that my choice of profession might also predispose me to my extremely guilty pleasure. “You’re in a business where bad news is exciting, right?” he asks. “The apocalypse would give you more stuff to write about.” Touché.

So, I do get an odd feeling of excitement when viewing disastrous happenings. I perceive it as more of a physiological or mental excitement like when being faced with a new challenge or experience. And the C's did say that challenge will be ecstacy.

I will admit that whenever I think about the potentially catastrophic events, like a scene in an apocalyptic movie being one of the only survivors, I can't help but feeling excited also. I feel guilty for this sometimes because I think that I should be considering how it might feel lose my whole family and the majority of the population at large. But for whatever reason I don't feel scared, and I am not upset at the thought of everyone dying either :scared:

Is this truly a lack of fear? or maybe I have become desensitized to all of this. Perhaps when it actually happens we will feel the "hit"?

I suppose a lot of it depends on the person's particular view of the world in terms of materialism versus spirituality etc. For example, if someone were to tell me that they are excited about the prospect of the apocalypse because they are so misanthropic that they would like to see humanity wiped out then I would find that utterly insane. The devil is in the details. I suppose it is not what they feel but why they feel it, how do they justify their desire? Are they just bored with life or do they recognise a need for some kind of balance to be restored?

I always love to read apocalyptic situations not because I love the idea of many deaths but the idea of change and adventure. It is maybe very infantile, I agree. The idea of renew, revival. Of survivors. But this is a fantasy, I know. If you read the book The Road, that is an apocalyptic very realistic story, the reality is totally opposite. An apocalyptic situation would be very similar of that depicted in the book of Cormac McCarthy. And it is a very sad, grey and horrible reality.

Same with the idea of WWIII. Reality is one thing, fantasy another. I am aware of this. But my infantile side is always thinking and "liking" the idea of end of the times. It is like to have in me 2 beings, one that is very aware of the true consequences of catastrophic events, the other one who likes the fantasy of this catastrophic situation. One is very realistic, the other one is creative, I like to think.

I suppose a lot of it depends on the person's particular view of the world in terms of materialism versus spirituality etc. For example, if someone were to tell me that they are excited about the prospect of the apocalypse because they are so misanthropic that they would like to see humanity wiped out then I would find that utterly insane. The devil is in the details. I suppose it is not what they feel but why they feel it, how do they justify their desire? Are they just bored with life or do they recognize a need for some kind of balance to be restored?

I second that. Also, I'm thinking about the opposition between those who are searching and networking and those sound asleep who cherish ignorance and materialism. I heard someone saying too that "If the world's going to end, maybe that would serve a lesson for those in power and this will confirm my beliefs and my moral ground". The person was thinking strictfully about his own moral and maybe physical salvation, "by being right all along". I imagined him saying: "I told you lot, I was right", like a narcissistic child. It was sick.

So, I do get an odd feeling of excitement when viewing disastrous happenings. I perceive it as more of a physiological or mental excitement like when being faced with a new challenge or experience. And the C's did say that challenge will be ecstacy.

I guess your framework of mind joined with an awareness of the possibilities (not trying to anticipate or obsess over a fixed outcome) helped you here! That's the perspective of one who's courageous like a lion and who will not have the destiny of a rat! =)

I'm much more interested in reading about either post apocalyptic scenarios or events of extreme antiquity like hunter gatherer or early agrarian life. It's there I learn things which may actually be useful. As for the terrible events themselves, I'm not a huge disaster movie fan, even though I'm sure they do teach some emergency survival strategies.

I get those who sit on their laurels and just smugly think of all disaster as cosmic justice. To me that's just either vindictiveness or heavily buffered perception of reality. All understanding is manifested as action. If something thinks they know the nature of cataclysm but doesn't take steps to better prepare themselves, they don't truly understand, which may be due to a variety of knowledge or emotional shortcomings.

I have mixed feelings , On one hand The study of ponerology along with geopolitics show that we are screwed. We can't beat the elites at this point in history because their tentacles are everywhere, literally. So the thought of the world ending is often associated with a fresh start, a new opportunity. I sometimes say out loud "bring the comets now" when confronted to this growing madness, but I understand it's my own impotence that speaks.

On the other hand the C's said that in 4D there is a lot spiritual suffering (this being the reason or one of the reasons the universe will only give the keys to those who are ready) and the rest will have to wake up to a glowing red sun while living in a cave, if history repeats itself again and again.

So when the C's talk about an adventure, and the lion not having the fate of a mouse I understand they are referring to the opportunity to do things, like sharing knowledge and standing for the truth and then having faith in the universe in a non anticipatory way, like one step at a time.

edit: double post.

With the Ebola news steadily trickling in, I find myself thinking things like "This is it, the endgame has begun", "let's get on with it" or even "bring it on". Really though every extra relatively "normal" day we have is another day to better prepare and work on ourselves. As the news stories ramp up, I keep thinking that the people around me whom I've let on that I'm inclined toward types of doomsday thinking will surely begin to say "Oh, you were right, we'd better start stocking up while we still can." So far I've experienced relatively few such responses.

With as many warnings as we seem to have had, I do find the urge waiting within me to give a smug "I told you so" to some people. I know how horrible this is and even setting aside the narcissism, it would be very counter-productive in most apocalyptic scenarios to go around saying such things. Most people seem determined to hang onto their illusions right up until the bitter end. Whatever the deal is with Ebola, people seem divided into the camps of "They said it's not going to be that big of a deal, so it must not be", nervously joking about it, beating up Africans on buses and the like, or the few who take it as a sign to rationally better prepare. But taking accelerated events as warnings to better prepare is not the same as 'wanting' horrible things to happen!

Could it be that people's narratives are at odds with there adaptive unconscious? I would like to think that most people at some level can feel that there is something terribly wrong with the way things are going on the big blue marble. And that only something drastic will change things. I've been watching a series called The Green Arrow on Netflix. In it, Malcolm is certain that the only way to "save the city" from the corrupt elite is to trigger a man made earth quake to level the Glades so that things will have to be rebuilt from scratch. Only problem is he's going to kill a whole lot of people in the process. I'm guessing a whole lot of people won't admit to having a "weird excitement" over a significant event devastating enough to cause a reset because it's a odds with their strong narrative that they shouldn't wish for anything bad to happen.

I'm not suggesting that it's right to wish for death and destruction that will surely bring terrible suffering. Only that perhaps the adaptive unconscious is a little more in tune with the reality of the situation. Hence, the internal conflict.

This is an interesting thread. I noticed similar thoughts in my head as well related to Odyssey's. None of which include fear or disdain but more curiosity than anything. Example. Grocery stores collapsing, hunting in the woods would be interesting I like being outdoors in nature better anyways; Dollar collapsing and/or communications failure? Oh ok I guess ingenuity will play a big part here. Enter Macgyvers. Most of the people I know that are handy or creative can't work on things that would be beneficial for all involved because the system we are currently in dictates that you work and struggle for your existence 90% of the time which inevitably leaves little time do other things that could potentially be beneficial for themselves and others. The current system kills creativity at every step of the way. That is the saddest part.

Further, post-apocalyptic in the above scenario would really reveal a core truth (osit) that we as humanity have gotten away from for some time now. Mostly, it is better to work together (in the respect of people of many different skill-sets and backgrounds working together for the survival of all in the group) than forming our own individual micro-families and depending on a huge bureaucratic entity for governance. Take the body for example, no one organ is on an island they all work in concert, but once one system or organ begins to break down and not communicate with the others it begins to work solely for its own means. The entire body goes down-hill when this point is reached. Including the organ that initiated the isolation.

As I see it, it seems that humanity has been segregated, demarginalized, and for the most part turned against one another through means of xenophobic media, religion, and outright lies. The only direction you can go from this point is up, but that may not exclude a catastrophic failure along the way. And I am not saying that the blame falls on others (psychopaths at the top) only. Responsibility for the current situation can also fall on the participants as well but I'm not sure if it is as black and white as to say hey you are poor it's your fault or hey you have an oppressive government you did it. It has been gradual across multiple generations rather than just one lifetime. This would make the situation more insidiously sneaky in infiltrating the natural order of things.

Going back to the the organ body analogy. Unless there is communication between the old dying cells of an organ on the current situation passed along to the new cells of the same organ then the pathology continues and before you know it the new cells think that the current condition is how it is supposed to be. In actuality it could be the complete opposite of normal. But in this situation a reset or balancing is required, the body dies (apocalyptic collapse on a different scale possibly?). Isolation within the body leads to death every single time. Would it not be the same on a the macro scale? Even in recorded mainstream history civilizations die and are reborn to try again.

I feel like communication and sharing is what sott.net is doing in an attempt to avoid total distortion of humanity's psyche. Communicating what is actually going on to others that are "coming online" so to speak. As a parent I feel as though this point should be stressed as well.

Ben said:
Are they just bored with life or do they recognize a need for some kind of balance to be restored?

So I guess for me it is a little bit of both. Bored because I am in such disagreeance with how things are on this planet but interested/excited because things have to change. And soon judging from the signs. Nothing in life last forever everything is a cycle or period. And once you can embrace the entire cycle, separate points on that cycle seem minuscule in comparison to the whole. And actually experiencing every point on said cycle should lend a better understanding of the entirety in general. Keyword being should, I guess if you haven't researched the true history of humanity then there is no way you're going to be able to acquire an understanding from this situation aside from maybe oh I guess bad things happen sometimes.

I think my actual emotion on the matter is not that I don't have fear of what may come but rather a point of view of "you can't pass the test if you don't take it". As stated above challenge is ecstasy. I think we are all familiar with the feeling we get after an exam. Ecstasy is one way I would describe.

Yes an Ebola outbreak would suck. Even if you don't acquire the virus yourself I don't see how you yourself will not suffer from seeing the pain that others are going through. The look of fear on someone's face that comes about when they have no idea why something "bad" is happening to them is crushing to me, but on the flip side you didn't get it (or you got it and sprouted a neat little tentacle ;D), you smoke, eat fat like it's your job, and read on the weekends (posting/sharing articles for others to read etc.) while others party. Input may equal output and if it does in the upcoming events you may learn that your actions do matter and the Universe is listening. That's not all bad you just learned or solidified knowledge that you've only read about up to this point!

Ben said:
I suppose a lot of it depends on the person's particular view of the world in terms of materialism versus spirituality etc. For example, if someone were to tell me that they are excited about the prospect of the apocalypse because they are so misanthropic that they would like to see humanity wiped out then I would find that utterly insane. The devil is in the details. I suppose it is not what they feel but why they feel it, how do they justify their desire? Are they just bored with life or do they recognise a need for some kind of balance to be restored?

Looks to me like there are the same strands of feeling working through most people. On the one side, most of us see and recognize the coming suffering and despair. On the other side, I'm betting most of us also see this as the 'night before the dawn', nature's comeuppance, as a special kind of justice long overdue. This sense of 'righting wrongs', or better yet, 'restoring balance' and potentially harmony is a very pleasing scenario for most of us. On the one side, if we survive we get to live in the New World. That's going to be very interesting no matter what happens. On the other side, play our cards right and we might be able to live in a New World much better spiritually than the old one.

Apocalyptic events are game changers, and we all want the game to change in a big way, so I suppose it's proper we should feel excitement for the coming change, even if such a thing comes with sacrifice and suffering as well.

I, too, get a sense of excitement when contemplating the inevitable end-times.

I think of all the disaster films and books that I have enjoyed over the years and there is usually a similar underlying thread. Mankind can be made better by catastrophe. It is the catalyst that can spur cooperation in old enemies.

When faced with extinction, a being has no choice but to explore options of survival that they would never consider without that catalyst.

True heroism can be experienced in the face of impending doom. I believe that Caesar's rule is a prime example of this.

Very interesting thread. My thoughts were already expressed very well, particularly by Ben, genero81, and trendsetter37. I had a feeling that the US would collapse (just like the Soviet Union and many others in history) within the next 25 years or so starting in very early 90's. And that as things were going humanity would very likely go extinct at most in 150 to 200 years. I had some data to base that on at the time, but certainly not enough to come to such conclusions based on information alone - it was mostly intuitive. So that part definitely was along what genero81 said.

I see it now as just about inevitable and soon, except that some will survive as they've done so many times before. It's just what's going to happen naturally whatever anyone wants, so preparing in every way makes sense. I don't think we need to lose our fear either, but to get it to work in the healthy way it was meant to - to make us alert to threats and dangers. I do look at the end of the world as we know it to be exciting and an adventure, even thought it will also be grueling in many ways. Also keep in mind that our bodies will die at some point no matter what, we can take the broadest view spiritually and actually look forward to and trust in what the Universe has in store.

Odyssey said:
I've always had a thing for disaster and post-apocalyptic movies and books. When thinking of disasters, including Ebola, I don't really dwell on the suffering and devastation that would occur as it rolls out but I do picture the aspect of the "global reset" afterwards (people banding together and having to rely on their wits to survive) and what that may be like.

I think the above raises an important point - that so far until now, all that we know about disasters, global cataclysms and post-apocalyptic life comes from movies and books. No one living right now has ever lived through such an event on the global scale we're expecting. While the aftermath might be a fresh start and re-balancing, up to and during that, it will be complete chaos and suffering for the majority of people.

We can agree on this forum that the state of the world is currently the way it is because it's controlled by a psychopathic minority. While 'those of us in the know' might be able to prepare through diet, meditation, networking, reading, etc the majority of people - the billions around the world who may not be privy to what's coming - are still people. A large proportion of the population might be up the creek, but they're up the creek because they've been led there by those in control. To sit with excitement knowing the amount of suffering that is to come is not something I'm comfortable with.

I'm actually lamenting what's to come, why it is, how it is and how it got to be this way. Sure - the aftermath might be positive, but a lot of people who for whatever reason have not woken up, will suffer. It's easy to commentate and talk theoretically from our vantage point but I think to grin with excitement at the scale of suffering and destruction that's to come is kind of sick and twisted in my view. Perhaps from a higher perspective it will appear balanced and joyous - but for the here and now and in human form, I'll continue to maintain my humanity.

Odyssey - this isn't a personal attack on you, and I think a lot of people share your thoughts. It's just my difference of opinion - I do agree that the aftermath will be a good thing, but I'm not excited by the prospect of what we're facing.

While what you say about the amount of suffering and destruction, MikeJoseph82, is certainly true, nothing can be done about it, except what we're doing to inform as many as possible. Also, the amount of suffering and destruction on the planet NOW is also hard to deal with. Seems to me that for most of human existence on 3rd D STS Earth, there's been horrendous suffering, and cyclical catastrophes. This doesn't make it any easier to emotionally deal with all the suffering on the planet, which is certain to get much worse soon, but it is what it is. We need to be in a position to help where possible, as much as possible to those who ask. There's nothing that can be done at this point to completely avert a violently catastrophic outcome, but that is the only way a better world is ever possible - this is the way of the Universe and is not some meaningless, random thing either, from a spiritual point of view.

So we do the best we can to serve and be of use to the Universe and trust that it knows what it's doing. When it's all over, it is because this cataclysmic process has transpired that a new, better world will be possible (as horrible as it is to have survived - for whoever of us will have survived, that is - and witnessed the kinds of things we're sure to experience), but that's the way major macro-level changes have always happened, so there seems to be no other way for the Universe to bring them about when the world is in the condition it is in.

Back
Top Bottom