Recovering from stage fright

edgitarra

Jedi Council Member
Hey forum, I decided this would be the best opportunity to share this with you, as I struggled a lot with not wanting to open myself more to the public, related to the music i perform.
I used to play in a band, and have concerts, but sooner after the band broke, i started to be more of an introvert kind. I realized this was killing the essence out of me. So i decided to perform a guitar play and film it, and share it here. This one good step for me to non identification with my shyness.
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OMSmduwVxfw?list=UU3OxudrPdhoUf8titHseLLg

Thank you very much for sharing Edgitarra i really enjoyed listening it, i'm a huge fan of the guitar instrument and of this kind of smooth,beautiful style of music. Keep up the good work,honestly. :thup:

That was fantastic Edgitarra!

I really like ambient type music and your song there is a great example of it. I'm glad you decided to open up and share it with the forum. Keep it up, you have a talent for music of the soul :)

By the way, I don't know if you have ever heard of an artist called Tycho. I am reminded of his material when listening to your piece.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mehLx_Fjv_c&list=PLBA14AFCC93060B9B

This is really nice and thank you very much for sharing it with us! I felt a light sadness or something similar while listening to Ambiental session 1. Also, the first association that came in my mind while listening was a band I really enjoy listening, Explosions in the sky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WabPV1eSeA.

Thanks again for sharing this and congratulations for courage, it can be encouragement and inspiration for other shy people here.

I found 11 and 26 of the playlist particularly interesting.
You are very creative, compassionate --and brave ;)

More kudos to you edgitarra, for putting yourself out there!
I too was one shy person, and I forced myself to join a club (Apex) which used public speaking and debating, singing in a church choir, and later on I taught myself some chords and started playing guitar in the church with their music group.
I think this has helped me to mature as a person, now I can look back on all those fond memories: can't play any more due to arthritis, and can't sing since I had an operation which has affected my vocalising somewhat.
Then I stepped aside to let the next generation take over.
It's onwards and upwards!

Thanks for sharing, Edgitarra,

I think doing this is a great example of development through conscious suffering. Your post brought some thoughts to mind that I hope you may find relevant.

As I understand it, stage fright, like being shy can be seen as a very strong sensitivity to how other people perceive you. To the ego personality other people's opinions are so important that you freeze like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Everybody has this reaction to some extent but in people that are very shy or have strong stage fright reactions, it's more pronounced. In itself it's not good or bad, it's simply a facet of the person's psychological make-up. But it can be experienced as being quite uncomfortable and therefore you'll and in that sense it's a lesson to be worked on.

One way to work on it is through conscious suffering - by putting yourself in the uncomfortable situation again and again. It might end up not being uncomfortable anymore as the fear of the situation is often much more of a threat to the ego personality than the actual situation. It's very similar to the cold bath protocol. I was thinking about this yesterday as I was taking a cold bath. The water was 12 degrees centigrade. It was indeed very cold and the skin actually felt like it was burning. I've been doing cold showers and baths for a couple of months now and it's not that I'm less cold when I do it. Rather, the more I do it, the less I allow the little I that's saying "I'm very cold and it's very dangerous" to grab hold of my consciousness and affect my actions.

I think that a lot of the Work is about consciously putting ourselves in the situations that we fear - for whatever reason. This may or may not make the fear go away but what it will do is reduce the fear's ability to unconsciously affect our actions and the better we get a this the more we become ourselves.

As I see it, what you're doing by sharing this video is quite similar. At a later point you might be able to do solo performances without any stage fright :-).

Keep putting yourself out there and keep sharing :-)

Back
Top Bottom