Self remembering

Hindsight Man

Jedi Master
Hi guys,it's been a while since I posted,anyway this is kind of related to self remembering.So a while ago,I was practicing self remembering and after a few weeks I was laying in bed at night.For a brief moment I found myself in a state I can only describe as ''open'' or non-anticipatory and for a moment I was able to see various point in my life (points which I forgot mind you) and how I acted out of arrogance,ignorance and ego.My decisions were based on emotional thinking and self interest and I suddenly understood what would have been the ''proper'' way to act so as to maximize my growth as a human being.The state lasted barely a second,but left a very powerful impression on me.It kind of reminded me of Gurdjieff's description of his self-remembering.However I have not been able to repeat this state since.I think it's because it wasn't due to a single thing,but rather a number of factors.Anyway,has anyone had similar experiences? :huh:

Attachments

• adN3R0d_460sa_v1.gif
    adN3R0d_460sa_v1.gif
    804.4 KB · Views: 230
Maybe this is a stepping stone for motivation for you to do the work necessary to clean your machine. As G has said many a times once we begin even for a second to awaken the forces/laws of the universe act upon us and bring us back to sleep. I wouldnt worry about trying to reach that state of objectivity again I would focus on learning about your emotional and narcissistic tendencies. everyone has them but not every gets a chance to see them and have the resources of this website/forum to then work to reduce/get a handle on them.

Hindsight Man said:
Hi guys,it's been a while since I posted,anyway this is kind of related to self remembering.So a while ago,I was practicing self remembering and after a few weeks I was laying in bed at night.For a brief moment I found myself in a state I can only describe as ''open'' or non-anticipatory and for a moment I was able to see various point in my life (points which I forgot mind you) and how I acted out of arrogance,ignorance and ego.My decisions were based on emotional thinking and self interest and I suddenly understood what would have been the ''proper'' way to act so as to maximize my growth as a human being.The state lasted barely a second,but left a very powerful impression on me.It kind of reminded me of Gurdjieff's description of his self-remembering.However I have not been able to repeat this state since.I think it's because it wasn't due to a single thing,but rather a number of factors.Anyway,has anyone had similar experiences? :huh:

I have, and it's usually accompanied by relaxed full-belly breathing. The typical shallow chest breathing is a subconscious defense to suppress emotions. These releases for me are strongest in the days following bioenergetics work in the eiriu eolas program. If you haven't checked it out I highly recommend it, since it improves your body-mind connection and makes it easier to remember yourself in the long term. :)

Hindsight Man said:
However I have not been able to repeat this state since.I think it's because it wasn't due to a single thing,but rather a number of factors.Anyway,has anyone had similar experiences? :huh:
I think as soon as you give attention to trying to repeat an experience or state of mind then it's like anticipation of same so it doesn't happen. It's almost impossible to try to forget about it and not expect something to happen. I had a couple of meditation experiences where it felt like my bottom half was lead and stuck to the floor and my top half was really really far away, stretched into the sky. It gave me a sort of vertigo feeling but it never happened again.

Menna said:
Maybe this is a stepping stone for motivation for you to do the work necessary to clean your machine. As G has said many a times once we begin even for a second to awaken the forces/laws of the universe act upon us and bring us back to sleep. I wouldnt worry about trying to reach that state of objectivity again I would focus on learning about your emotional and narcissistic tendencies. everyone has them but not every gets a chance to see them and have the resources of this website/forum to then work to reduce/get a handle on them.

Hmm,now that you mention it,I remember a distinct sort of ''vibration'' on my spine,through which I noticed a blockage.According to my understanding in that moment,it was related to my egotistical tendencies.So to clear the blockage I need to ''clean up'' my character (personality) if you will.By the way,thanks for all the replies guys,it's food for thought.

Hindsight Man said:
The state lasted barely a second,but left a very powerful impression on me.It kind of reminded me of Gurdjieff's description of his self-remembering.However I have not been able to repeat this state since.I think it's because it wasn't due to a single thing,but rather a number of factors.Anyway,has anyone had similar experiences? :huh:

Yes, and at the beginning often there was also a feeling of shame attached. It was hard to look at the past events and realize what a fool I was and how dishonorably I acted. But at least it gave the needed determination to do something about it. But then, as time passed it lost most of its emotional component and became a sort of "scientific experiment", where instead of lamenting the "past sins", the focus is more on what do to about it and how to calibrate my behavior and thought process so it will get me a bit closer to the ideal.

Also, it's probably good that we don't get those glimpses of "seeing things as they are" too often, because we need time to process the realization and to allow this understanding to become part of us, i.e. to move from the "realm" of thought into the "realm" of action, so to say. And it may take a while.

Another thing to consider, that our subconscious often knows our personal pace better than our conscious part, so if you have an aim of self-development and make active steps toward personal growth, the inner self helps with the process and brings to the surface things at the time and in the specific "amount" that you can handle or do something about it. fwiw.

I think as soon as you give attention to trying to repeat an experience or state of mind then it's like anticipation of same so it doesn't happen.

my point of view is close to lainey's point. When you make an efforts to gain this state your conscious working with associations. Those associations is like a models-stereotips of perception but not "creative potential". After EE and POTS' "active" part you just get away your thoughts and concerns and see...(I'd tried to see some images which automatically appeared). After that i've totally calmed down getting flow of thoughts, ideas, consider past experiences' ... BUT! I can't remember my discoveries :(

whitecoast said:
Hindsight Man said:

I have, and it's usually accompanied by relaxed full-belly breathing. The typical shallow chest breathing is a subconscious defense to suppress emotions. These releases for me are strongest in the days following bioenergetics work in the eiriu eolas program. If you haven't checked it out I highly recommend it, since it improves your body-mind connection and makes it easier to remember yourself in the long term. :)

Completely agree with Whitecoast here. In my experience practicing EE helps enormously in facilitating these states and enables us to access the parts of ourselves which have remained 'hidden' and obscured to us for much of our lives. If you begin to practice the program regularly you may well find that these 'momentary insights' become more regular and intense in nature. Personally I've found such experiences to be both beautifully liberating and intensely painful but I guess what you've described is a kind of doorway or entry point to further work on the self. As they arise, we can benefit further by journaling about them, networking here and applying their lessons in a practical sense in our day-to-day lives. We then start to 'reassemble' the puzzle image of both our internal landscape and our our outward behaviours so as to move towards seeing our 'picture' more clearly. I wonder if you're practicing the program? Certainly highly recommended :)

I wonder if you're practicing the program? Certainly highly recommended :)

Yes I am,though definitely not as often as I should.I try (there is no try and all that) to do pipe breathing every day,but the rest of the program I touch far less often. I've been meaning to get back into it though.

Mod's note: fixed quote box

Keit said:
Another thing to consider, that our subconscious often knows our personal pace better than our conscious part, so if you have an aim of self-development and make active steps toward personal growth, the inner self helps with the process and brings to the surface things at the time and in the specific "amount" that you can handle or do something about it. fwiw.
Absolutely, I always find my realisations or growths in particular areas always come at just the "right" time. The subconscious knows what we can handle and when it's appropriate to come to the surface. I also find I just so happen to be reading a book which will cover the subject matter in some form or another at the same time. Thank goodness for our higher selves otherwise sometimes I think I would fall to pieces. :)

Back
Top Bottom