UVA Rape Culture

• Thread starter Deleted member 9511
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9511

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119

I live in Virginia and went to VA Tech. As I was driving my teenaged daughter and her friend to swim practice this morning, the subject came up about college choices and the friend said she wanted to go to UVA. I recalled this latest rape-scandal, as I had heard about it on the radio, so I cautioned the girls to be very careful about mixing with the wrong people and to stay away from beer parties. When I came home there was a tweet in my inbox with the link to this article. It's way worse than I had imagined. Not that this sort of thing doesn't happen at many universities, but I do know that UVA has a culture of superiority and entitlement. I never knew how bad though, until the article's reference to the gang-rape victim's friends, whom she called to help immediately after the incident, and one of whom was a young woman herself, encouraging her to keep quiet about it so they would not be shunned from the party culture. Talk about ponerization.

Reactions: Ca.
Hi geOmO, seems the Rolling Stone publication is making some heavy waves .....

University of Virginia suspends fraternities amid rape investigation
_http://mashable.com/2014/11/23/university-of-virginia-fraternities/

By The Associated Press
3 hours ago

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The University of Virginia on Saturday suspended activities at all campus fraternal organizations amid an investigation into a published report in which a student described being sexually assaulted by seven men at a fraternity in 2012.

University president Teresa Sullivan said in a letter to the university community that the Board of Visitors is scheduled to meet Tuesday to discuss the allegations contained in a Rolling Stone article, along with the university's policies and procedures concerning sexual assaults. Groups of students, faculty, alumni and others will be asked to hold similar discussions.

Sullivan said the suspension of all fraternal groups is effective until Jan. 9. She has also asked Charlottesville police to investigate the alleged rape at the Phi Kappa Psi house. The fraternity has voluntarily surrendered its fraternal agreement with University of Virginia.

On Friday, Attorney General Mark Herring said the university agreed to withdraw its appointment of former federal judge and prosecutor Mark Filip as independent counsel to investigate how the school responds to rape allegations. In college, Filip was a member of Phi Kappa Psi.

Sullivan had said the Rolling Stone article includes details that weren't disclosed to university officials previously.

Well I don't know what to say, other than stuff that wouldn't be fitting for this forum. Sometimes it's difficult being a part of the human race.

Heimdallr said:
Well I don't know what to say, other than stuff that wouldn't be fitting for this forum. Sometimes it's difficult being a part of the human race.

As you said, there are no words fitting this forum for that.

Are they really a part of the human race?

Or if it is really the human race, then what race are we because we don't fit at all in that?

Wow, just wow. I know this is going on at most universities, and in general civilian life as well, but the sheer numbers of women being assaulted at UVA is appalling. This article profoundly affected my wife and me.

I found a petition through Change.org that is asking UVA to suspend Phi Kappa Psi's privileges indefinitely. I realize that many petitions really just give lip service to those that want change, but I certainly agree with this one.

If anyone is interested in signing, here is the link:

_https://www.change.org/p/teresa-sullivan-suspend-phi-kappa-psi-at-uva-permanently

-Edited for punctuation

I had the same reaction as all of you. Reading the article was so difficult. The ponerization of our society is truly horrifying - how normal it has become. It's a communicable disease.

Gandalf said:
Are they really a part of the human race?

Or if it is really the human race, then what race are we because we don't fit at all in that?

I think where we fit in all that is that in spite of our programs and 'stuff', we keep flapping our wings (loudly) and raising hell, pointing out the horror in the world and that will help create better one. Or so I hope.

I found the behavior of her "friends" to be disgusting as well. Reading that her friends were concerned more with being shunned from parties was sickening. What horribly twisted logic! Especially when they debated it while she's standing there right after this happens. Words fail me. I cannot think of specific phrases that adequately convey how frustrating situations like this make me feel. I am so thankful this young woman came forward. What a brave amazing person.
I agree with Menrva. You have to relentlessly speak up and speak out. I went to college in the south as well and there was plenty of that good old boy southern entitlement fratastic crap on my campus too.
You have to take a stand against the vicious tide.
These incidents happen. They are not few and far between.

Maybe, it's a "Sign of the Times?"

Seattle, Washington UW fraternity to disband over hazing incident
_http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025074153_uwfraternityxml.html

Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 - All members of the University of Washington’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity must move out of the house on Greek Row as part of a decision by its international organizationto disband the fraternity because of a hazing incident earlier this year.

Horras declined to say anything about the nature of the hazing, saying he would release further details after the UW made its decision.

Also this week, a fraternity at Washington State University, Phi Kappa Tau, lost its recognition on the WSU campus until August 2017 after allegations of hazing and conduct violation. That investigation was done by the WSU’s Office of Student Standards and Accountability. The fraternity has said it will appeal the decision through the Whitman County Court.

West Virginia University Fraternities Have A Hazing Problem
_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/21/west-virginia-university-hazing_n_6200162.html

Friday Nov. 21, 2014 - On Wednesday, the West Virginia University chapter of Beta Theta Pi was notified that they had "lost all rights and privileges and is no longer a recognized campus group," local news station WOWK reported. The national Beta office revoked their charter, citing "past behavior issues."

This is the latest in a string of problems in the WVU Greek community. On Nov.13 , the university halted all Greek activities, following a medical emergency at Kappa Sigma.

Freshman pledge Nolan Michael Burch, 18, was found without a pulse in the Kappa Sigma house on Nov. 12. He died two days later. The national Kappa Sigma organization said in a statement that the WVU chapter's operations had been suspended since mid-October. On Nov. 10, the frat's charter was withdrawn and operations closed.

Also last week, the Inter-fraternity Council and WVU suspended Sigma Chi. This followed an incident early on Nov. 6. After drinking at a nightclub reserved by Sigma Chi, nineteen underage pledges were dropped off in another neighborhood and told to work as a group to get back to the fraternity house. Before they could, the police picked them up. Three young men were arrested for public intoxication and underage consumption and 16 were cited for underage consumption, Charleston Daily Mail reported.

Greenville, S.C. Clemson frats face hazing charges
_http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/10/30/clemson-frats-face-hazing-charges/18210109/

Thursday Oct. 30, 2014 -Clemson University has disciplined fraternities and sororities on campus 34 times between 2010 and the start of this fall semester, citing violations that range from hazing to underage drinking, according to data released by the university Thursday, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by The Greenville News.

The News requested information on Clemson’s Greek organizations following Clemson student Tucker Hipps’ death in September after fraternity brothers told investigators he fell behind during an early morning fraternity group run. Hipps was a pledge with Sigma Phi Epsilon.

An autopsy showed Hipps, 19, died of a head injury consistent with falling from a bridge. His body was found in four-to-five feet of water in Lake Hartwell near two parallel State 93 bridges that cross the Seneca River near the YMCA beach, said Oconee County Coroner Karl Addis.

Hipps’ injuries were consistent with falling 20 to 23 feet from one of the bridges and striking his head on rip rap rocks in the shallow water near the shore, Addis said.

Arizona Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity faces hazing allegations
_http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2014/10/sigma-alpha-epsilon-fraternity-faces-hazing-allegations

Tues. Oct 14, 2014 - Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been placed under interim suspension of recognition after members allegedly assaulted individuals from Alpha Epsilon Pi. The UA has begun its own investigation regarding the allegations.

SAE has been listed for policy violations on judicial reports 12 separate times since fall 2006, not including the current allegations, according to the Fraternity and Sorority programs judicial page.

Athens, Georgia UGA fraternity investigated for hazing, physical violence
_http://www.cbs46.com/story/26702064/uga-fraternity-investigated-for-hazing-physical-violence

Fri. Oct. 3, 2014 - Delta Sigma Phi is on interim suspension following a complaint on Sept. 26 that pledges were hazed in the basement

Chief Jimmy Williamson said a concerned mother reported the tip after she noticed injuries to her son. Williamson said he didn't know how many pledges were involved in the alleged hazing incident, but the information supplied alleges that pledges were blindfolded, taken into the basement and had to get into giant buckets of ice water.

According to Williamson, once in the ice, they had to recite a Delta Sig mantra. The faster they could recite it, the faster they could get out of the ice bucket.

they could get out of the ice bucket.

"No one was beat up, that is crap. The kid fell down the stairs. There was no physical abuse and that is as simple as that," a man who identified himself as a student and friend to members of the fraternity said. He would not give his name, but said he knew what happened and there was no hazing involved.

"They didn't do anything, the kid tripped," he said.

3 Coastal Carolina University fraternities suspended after hazing complaints
_http://www.wbtw.com/story/26631841/three-coastal-carolina-university-fraternities-suspended-after-hazing-complaints

Sept. 25, 2014 - CONWAY, SC - Coastal Carolina University on Thursday suspended the activities of three fraternities after complaints of hazing.

Coastal Carolina University Director of News and Public Affairs, Martha Hunn, confirmed the school suspended Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity and Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity after it received reports of "questionable new member education activities."

Among these allegations are underage drinking and the use of illegal substances. Other allegations involve satire beyond all bounds of decency. Most damning are accusations of sexual assault. I want to make it crystal clear on behalf of the leadership of Tau Kappa Epsilon, that illegal behaviors will not be tolerated. In each of the instances, groups have been suspended pending ongoing investigations.

California Fraternity at Los Angeles university disbands after hazing-related death
_http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/06/us-usa-fraternity-death-idUSKBN0H103E20140906

Fri. Sept. 5, 2014 - (Reuters) - A fraternity at a Los Angeles university has agreed to disband due to the hazing-related death of a 19-year-old pledge who collapsed in the heat on a hike after his group ran out of water, the school's president said on Friday.

The college, California State University, Northridge, was rocked by the July death of Armando Villa, who was "pledging" or joining a chapter of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and was made to hike in the Angeles National Forest.

This next link discusses several Colleges and the various hazing incidents involved, many life threatening.
Hazing at Md. colleges includes humiliation, coercion, hospital trips
_http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/education/bs-md-university-hazing-20141122-story.html#page=1

Magpie said:
I found the behavior of her "friends" to be disgusting as well. Reading that her friends were concerned more with being shunned from parties was sickening. What horribly twisted logic! Especially when they debated it while she's standing there right after this happens.

Absolutely. Those friends of hers completely failed to be a friend to her when they were most needed. My jaw was on the floor reading how they reacted to her confiding that she'd been raped. Just without heart.

Former actress Lisa Jakub (who you may remember from the movie Mrs Doubtfire) has threatened to burn her UVA Diploma if something substantial is not done about this problem. She has encouraged other UVA graduates to do likewise.
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/burnmydiploma

Heimdallr said:
Magpie said:
I found the behavior of her "friends" to be disgusting as well. Reading that her friends were concerned more with being shunned from parties was sickening. What horribly twisted logic! Especially when they debated it while she's standing there right after this happens.

Absolutely. Those friends of hers completely failed to be a friend to her when they were most needed. My jaw was on the floor reading how they reacted to her confiding that she'd been raped. Just without heart.
Yeah, that was unfathomable. If her friends, and the university community in general, had reacted correctly then just maybe the damage could have been minimized. If they had taken her to the police, if criminal charges were filed, if defense attorneys didn't always attack the "virtue" of the victims... if, if, if...

Menrva said:
I had the same reaction as all of you. Reading the article was so difficult. The ponerization of our society is truly horrifying - how normal it has become. It's a communicable disease.
Absolutely, I felt sick to my stomach. Especially because of the complete failure of the people who were meant to support and protect the students.
Her "friends" should be ashamed of themselves. However it goes to show how today people lack the ability to think for themselves and step away from the group mentality and fight for what they know to be right.
It's times like these when I hope karma is real and just.
But that makes me think, do we at some level choose all the major experiences we have in a lifetime, including the awful ones? What goes on at another level to make us want to go through these things? Is it karma balancing for us?
It doesn't make this sort of thing any easier to comprehend.

The lack of support and sense of righteous anger by her friends, by the rest of the school community is really telling of how incredibly ponerized the culture is. As others have mentioned, a difficult article to read. Infuriating to be exact that this happens and that it is essentially, swept under the rug.

As an aside-I've been reflecting on my own lack of righteous anger at times in situations that may call for it, how fear/ignorance/the overall influence of ponerization? has a way of neutralizing it.

Back
Top Bottom