The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

Immersion said:
Just in time for Christmas... feww. Pork skin is very cheap here in the UK, so with all these recipes, plus the fat bombs and butter chocolate, there's gonna be no excuse for a carb-attack this holiday :)

Hey immersion do you bulk buy the skin and then effectively make your own puffs to grind down? Also do you go to normal butcher or organic ?

P.s is it a particularly Difficult process?

I tried the pork rind brownies with the microwave puff pork rinds and they were EXCELLENT.
I'd recommend going ahead with throwing the whole 4 ounce baking bar in the recipe as the pork tries to compete with the chocolate a bit.
They are a little dry and I found they were difficult to digest but dipping them in pumpkin seed milk helped with that.
Thank you for your experimental kitchen adventures. It's good to have another option on the list!

KJN said:
We Did It!

Brownies! :D

I did it and it tastes great :thup: Greatest thing since sliced bread! :P AND it is gluten-free and low carb!

Pure genius :flowers: :wizard:

As a testament to the greatness of these recipes, I am here to report that we have completely depleted our local Krogers' stock of the good pork rhinds!

I tried the brownies recipe last night and it didn't turn out well. I used half a cup of xylitol and it was still about 13.5 carbs for just a 50 gram piece; I can feel the carb hit. I used 2:1 cream of tartar to baking soda to replace baking powder and it seems too acidic. So I'll probably toss it because my teeth are sensitive.

I think I might play with the recipe a bit. I made some great egg nog last week that was only 4-6g carbs per mug. I think the baking chocolate bar can be eliminated, as I've seen brownies made with just cocoa powder.

I'd like to make something close to angel food cake. I wonder if the pork rinds would allow for fluffy texture? I think it is a good idea to sift the pork dust, because some big pieces end up in the mixture even when blended for a while. It might be a good idea to start out with something simple like pound cake or quick bread. I want to try to use no xylitol and just spices and liquid stevia, to have minimal carbs.

Our pancakes can get pretty fluffy, if yours are not then you might want to experiment. However it's not at the level of angel food cake. If you can whip up eggs pretty well, and then fold in just pork rhinds with good technique (youtube helps), without the egg whites loosing much volume, then I'd say it's worth a try. You could do this at the beginning of one of the other recipes with all the ingredients laid out so that if it fails, you can just throw the other ingredients in and make pancakes or something instead.

My mom whipped up a batch of the chocolate chip cookies, so I had to share a pic:

1979639_10100871204032005_2062467735225784570_n.jpg

These pork rinds sure are the business! Tried making some the other day using this method http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/01/homemade-chicharrones-pork-rinds-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html and they turned out great. Only problem was, they didn't last long...

They aren't hard to make, but drying the skin is a slow process and I have to share the oven. Don't suppose any Aussies have found a place to buy ready made rinds without additives? I found this place http://www.buyasianfood.com.au/_products/Snacks/PorkCrackling-27.aspx but their ingredients list vege oils. A pity as they have crushed rinds as well. Any I found in the supermarkets were full of soy oil and other horrible stuff.

So for the moment it looks like homemade is the go. Many thanks for the idea and all the recipes, this is truly a great find :).

Thanks for the Pork Rind Oven Pan Bread recipe KJN. I made a pan bread that was out of sight! It reminded me of corn bread in consistency but not dry in the least.

I used store-bought from an International Grocery fried pork ears and fried sliced pork skin HOT that I had around the house and mixed in a Magic Bullet food processor. Added eggs, bacon fat, baking powder, xylitol (halved) with spices (powdered onions and rosemary) on top before baking. It was just amazing. Looks like bread is back on the menu!

wow, these recipes look awesome.. I shall endeavour to make and share pictures of my efforts :thup:

happy days bread back on the menu thanks for the recipes made the pan bread using half the ingredients turned out surprisingly well
made from homemade pork rinds :cool2: :thup:

Attachments

• IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 413
Here's a picture of the oven pan bread loaf that I made: Simply delicious.

Attachments

• Pork Skin Bread.jpg
    Pork Skin Bread.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 394
aluminumfalcon said:
Here's a picture of the oven pan bread loaf that I made: Simply delicious.

:jawdrop: wow that looks like real bread... I mean the stuff made from wheat

Back
Top Bottom