Help with status of the Gulf Stream

Horseofadifferentcolor

Jedi Council Member
I have read all the info on the gulf stream changing I come to and I see the Sott pic on the site. I still have really no understanding at all how this works and how to really "see" the changes on graphs. I understand its major global impact and why, ehhhh sort of..... I do realize that this forum and Sott has a lot to offer in understanding this, but somehow I have not been able to grasp it in an understandable way. Anyone have any advice on this? Seems a silly question, but I really do not understand how to read the information on this subject as important as it is. I either need a how to read this language for dummies addition, or be pointed in ways to learn how to read the info. I have seen the words and graphs, I just do not understand the basic, other than it is changing. I don't understand how to read it. Thanks for any help offered.

Hi Horseofadiffer​entcolor,

We posted a SOTT article on the subject of the Gulf Stream that had a good video showing how the stream works. You may want to watch it and see if that helps make some sense.

Nicolas said:
Hi Horseofadiffer​entcolor,

We posted a SOTT article on the subject of the Gulf Stream that had a good video showing how the stream works. You may want to watch it and see if that helps make some sense.

Yes, I saw that article. Thank you Nicolas. I know I sound extremely dense. I'll do some more digging around and re-read until I get it. I guess I need to save pictures I find from different dates and print them out, so I can look at them together side by side. I have not seen where yearly weather stats along with pics of the way the stream looks.

You can click on the Gulf Stream map on SOTT and it will take you to the page where the maps are generated. They also have animations for the past 26 and 52 weeks so you can watch the Gulf Stream change over time.

Hope that helps and is what you are looking for.

Nicolas said:
You can click on the Gulf Stream map on SOTT and it will take you to the page where the maps are generated. They also have animations for the past 26 and 52 weeks so you can watch the Gulf Stream change over time.

Hope that helps and is what you are looking for.

I did not know by clicking on that icon that it lead to other info. This is a good start. Thankyou Nicolas.

Looking at the map will only give you a two dimensional picture of the Gulf Stream, whereas in fact it is a three dimensional entity, as well as having width and length (and velocity) it has a vertical displacement which is dependent upon the salinity and the temperature of the water, hence its' density.
Other factors affecting it would be the season of the year which will affect the temperature, and the amount of runoff caused by rainfall on the land adjacent to it, noting that this will change the density.

Back
Top Bottom