My experience with hypnosis

Rhythmik

Jedi Master
So this happened a long time ago and it's always stuck with me. I want to share it as members here know a lot more about hypnosis than I do.

The backstory is, I was in my early-20s and really interested in discovering more about my mind and how it worked. I found a self-hypnosis book in the library and in the book it suggested to visit a hypnotherapist so one could experience the feeling of being in a deep trance. I found the number of a guy that did it, coincidentally he was in the same suburb as me (less than 1km away). He was an older English guy wearing a suit. I asked on the phone if I could go to his office but for some reason he resisted the idea and said he would come to my place. I was bit concerned because I was living with a couple in a small flat that was very messy.

Anyway he came around, we chatted for a while and he asked me what I wanted to get out of the session. I asked if he could put me under and then give me the suggestion that I would be able to easily achieve the deep trance state on my own in the future. Along with a few others like getting better at practicing my dancing and quitting smoking (don't worry I'm still smoking organic tobacco).

So he talked me into the trance. The only things I remember were the soft music he was playing, his voice giving me the suggestions and describing how nice it would be to achieve my goals , and the ceiling fan that was rotating above me because it felt like the air was making my mouth dry. Now the crazy thing is, I don't remember saying anything, like I would've sworn that I said nothing. But my housemate briefly came into the room to take something and he heard me talking!

When I finally came out of the trance it was very strange. The hypnotherapist was visibly shaken. Before we started his demeanor was very calm and professional, but afterwards he seemed like a little kid, super excited like he had witnessed something amazing. He said to me "the wisdom man came!". He then mentioned King Solomon and "King Solomon's Ring". I mentioned to him beforehand that I was Jewish but I had never heard of the ring. He told me I would study it. He then mentioned my dancing, asked me about it and attempted to copy what it looked like which I found amusing (it's a robotic style). I have no idea how he even knew the basics of what it looked like as I barely mentioned it. After that he asked me if I've ever thought about doing drag, which was really bizarre because I'm completely hetero and would never even consider it. It was a long time ago so I can't remember what else he said, but I'll never forget how enthusiastic and surprised he was after the session. And also the fact that I could hear his voice the whole time but not my own??

So after that I began researching. My local rabbi knew (or pretended to know) nothing about King Solomon's Ring. I was in the library and I did a database search and found a book of the same name written by the scientist Konrad Lorenz. It described his experiences living with different animals and things he witnessed about their behavior. It was one of the most fascinating books I've ever read and gave me a new appreciation for animals.
The book's title refers to the legendary Seal of Solomon, a ring that supposedly gave King Solomon the power to speak to animals.
Ever since then I've felt a strong bond with animals. I obviously cannot speak to them, but I feel like I connect and have an affinity with them. I've noticed things for eg. wild birds that normally fly away from people are not phased by my presence or will come closer to me, and also things like people's pets that are notoriously unfriendly to strangers have no problem with me much to the surprise of their owners. I instantly make friends with all animals I meet and I have a profound appreciation of them.

A couple of weeks after the session I tried to contact the hypnotherapist but I noticed that his office had disappeared from its original location and I never heard from him again.

Strange! Any comments or explanations about the experience? Years later I'm still confused about what happened that day.

I would be quite suspicious of an event like that. I've never been hypnotized before (although I experimented with self-hypnosis once or twice) so I don't really know what it's like, but shouldn't one remember the details of the experience afterwards? Can you name any other outcome or consequence of your interaction with this man?

That's all I can remember. He called me once to follow up after the session but then no contact. He did mention that he wanted to attend one of my performances. Came across a little too "friendly", and not long later I noticed his office had moved.

Rhythmik said:
That's all I can remember. He called me once to follow up after the session but then no contact. He did mention that he wanted to attend one of my performances. Came across a little too "friendly", and not long later I noticed his office had moved.

There are many red flags in that interaction IMO, the first one was why he wouldn't want you to go to his office? As you said, it was a strange experience overall and it strikes me as malpractice. Hypnotherapy is like surgery, if it's not done by an experienced ethic professional, that also knows how to do it in a non-leading way, it can be detrimental. Why he was so excited at the end? Maybe he was leading and projecting stuff during the session and that could have caused that strange experience? This quote make me think that it could be the case:

He said to me "the wisdom man came!"

Also, seeking for hypnotherapy just to experience deep trance, instead of having a clear aim related to your wellbeing, dealing with trauma, etc... it's not a good idea, as well as the suggestion 'that you could easily achieve deep trance state on your own in the future'. Deep trance is a dissociative state that can leave you open not only to suggestions, but other bad stuff and strange occurrences. Remember William Chittick:

In fact, there are innumerable realms in the unseen world, some of them far more dangerous than the worst jungles of the visible world.

Meditation with a clear objective is safer and better, have you practiced EE? Of course, meditation leads you to a dissociative state, but in this case it's done with a 'seed' (The Prayer of the Soul) and it has a well defined aim: growth of knowledge. And certainly nothing bad can result from that :P.

Do you remember how you felt after the session?

A couple of weeks after the session I tried to contact the hypnotherapist but I noticed that his office had disappeared from its original location and I never heard from him again.

Not a very good sign IMO.

I recommend you Laura's Knowledge and Being video series, I think you'll like it :).

My 2 cents

Yes I know a lot more now and am much more cautious.

I practice EE and I have read a lot of Laura's work.

I was young and naive when this happened, it's just always stuck with me as a strange experience and was wondering what exactly might have happened.

Do you remember how you felt after the session?

I felt good but just confused as I wanted to know more and wished I had recorded the session. Would it be a good idea to do a hypnotic regression to find out exactly what I was saying or what happened?

Back
Top Bottom