Harold Waldwin Percival: Thinking and Destiny

Mike

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Clif High that does the web bots stuff posted a link on twitter to this guy Harold Percival’s book ‘Thinking and Destiny.’ PDF of the book:

_http://www.thewordfoundation.com/a-books.shtml

I searched the forum, didn’t find him mentioned and I decided to order the book after reading his take on cycles written in 1905.

_http://www.thewordfoundation.com/PDF/Cycles.pdf

In the above he refers, near the end of the essay, to life as a school in the context of reincarnation and life as the “educator of the soul”. He also ended the essay with “This knowledge can only come to a man who becomes as “wise as a serpent and as harmless as a dove.””

I found it all intriguing given his name, the topic of life as a school mentioned and the quote partially matching the C’s use of quotes in the past:

June 22 said:
A: It should be noted that the STS system can only be penetrated by becoming "wise as serpents and gentle as doves." There is nothing negative about networking. Details of a network include the necessity for those who are involved to invest "energy" in the exchange. If the individual comes upon the life work of another and expects to benefit and gain by that work, they will naturally wish to have their own position balanced by putting forth a commensurate amount of energy. Otherwise there will be an imbalance of energy. This then leads to an STS pyramid. An example of this principle in reverse is a teacher who demands payment for no real work on their own part.

The pdf of the essay I downloaded won’t let me copy any of the text and looks to be protected or I would copy the last 10 or so paragraphs, because it seems to jive well with some of the C’s material.

I figured I’d post about him to see if anyone has read his main book, since it might be worth looking into. I plan on reading the book and reporting back, but others might want to look into it as well.

Here is some background information that might indicate that he was possibly channeling the information that he eventually compiled into his book:

_http://www.thewordfoundation.com/a-author.shtml
In New York City Percival became interested in Theosophy and joined the Theosophical Society in 1892. That society split into factions after the death of William Q. Judge in 1896. Percival later organized the Theosophical Society Independent, which met to study the writings of Madame Blavatsky and Eastern "scriptures."

In 1893, and twice during the next fourteen years, Percival had the unique experience of being "conscious of Consciousness," a potent spiritual and noetic enlightenment. He stated, "Being conscious of Consciousness reveals the 'unknown' to the one who has been so conscious. Then it will be the duty of that one to make known what he can of being conscious of Consciousness." He stated that the value of that experience was that it enabled him to know about any subject by a mental process he called "real thinking." Because these experiences revealed more than was contained in Theosophy, he wanted to write about them and share this knowledge with humanity.

From 1904 to 1917, Percival published a monthly magazine, The Word, which was dedicated to the brotherhood of humanity and had a worldwide circulation. Many eminent writers of the day contributed to the magazine and all of the issues contained an article by Percival as well. These early writings earned him a place in Who's Who in America.
In 1908, and for a number of years, Percival and several friends owned and operated about five hundred acres of orchards, farmland, and a cannery in upstate New York. When the property was sold Percival kept about eighty acres on which there was a small house. This is where he resided during the summer months and devoted his time to the continual work on his manuscripts.

In 1912 he began to outline material for a book which would contain his complete system of thinking. Because his body had to be still while he thought, he dictated whenever assistance was available. In 1932 the first draft was completed; it was called The Law of Thought. He continued to work the manuscript over and over to clarify and edit it. He did not wish this to be a mystery book and was determined to clothe his work in accurately fitting words however long or great the effort. Its title was changed to Thinking and Destiny and finally printed in 1946.

This one-thousand-page masterpiece was produced over a period of thirty-four years. This system of thinking, which covers in exhaustive detail the subject of Man and his world, is not found in any other literature. Subsequently, in 1951, he published Man and Woman and Child and in 1952, Masonry and Its Symbols and Democracy Is Self-Government. The three smaller books are based on Thinking and Destiny and deal with selected subjects of importance in greater detail.

Back
Top Bottom