The Pirate Bay crackdown

Ivan_

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
http://www.wired.com/2014/12/pirate-bay-raided-taken-down/?mbid=social_fb The Pirate Bay has been taken down. They were going for it. What troubled me were the organized efforts:

And last week a French court ordered ISPs in that country to block access to Pirate Bay, as well as any of its mirror sites, from within French territory.

This can be circumvented, but still shows that your Internet Service Providers can do as they please, or even worse, as the government tells them to do.

Then days ago Google removed and banned a number of third-party Pirate Bay file-sharing apps from the Google Play store. The apps help users circumvent blocks instated by ISPs to prevent users from accessing Pirate Bay.

Another attempt at Pirate Bay's users, interesting how connected it is to the previous line.

Today’s raid comes after some of the movie files stolen from Sony Pictures Entertainment in its recent hack became available for download through links at Pirate Bay. It’s unknown if the raid and takedown were instigated by the distribution of those Sony files.

All in all, it seems like an organized event. But who orchestrated it really and why, it is unknown. Sony is certainly a suspect...

TODAY’S RAID COMES AFTER SOME OF THE MOVIE FILES STOLEN FROM SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT IN ITS RECENT HACK BECAME AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD THROUGH LINKS AT PIRATE BAY.
Yes, but a lot more expensive products have been uploaded there (like Autocad 3Ds Max and Siemens NX, each costing thousands, if not 10 thousand for the Professional and Corporate full versions). So why now? And who is really behind all this? Are there any leaked documents uploaded on the Pirate Bay? Sometimes, yes.

What is your take on this, guys?

This can be circumvented, but still shows that your Internet Service Providers can do as they please, or even worse, as the government tells them to do.

That's a good point, and probably what this whole issue is intended to do. I understand TPB set up a new server within a short time - .cr i believe.

As for Sony, i understood there was speculation (lies?) that it was N Korea because of a movie about Kim Jong Un they were due to release, then i read they were hacked from a saved folder titled 'passwords'. Apparently KJU was missing from the public eye for a while, then came back but was using a crutch.

There was this recent article: (just for an idea of where this could be going)
_http://news.yahoo.com/dane-gets-4-years-prison-social-media-terror-182007388.html
Dane gets 4 years prison for social media terror

Sam Mansour, 54, was sentenced to four years in prison at a Copenhagen court for violating Denmark's terror laws.

Mansour had denied the charges, saying his postings were legal under freedom of speech laws. In Facebook postings, he wrote "terrorism is a duty" and "we are fearful," [?] and urged jihadis to kill several Danes whom he had named.

And didn't TPB guy just get re-arrested and convicted?
_http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/04/police-finally-arrest-the-third-and-final-founder-of-the-pirate-bay/

Police Finally Arrest The Third And Final Founder Of The Pirate Bay

(snippets from the article)

Swedish authorities have gone after the trio despite calls for leniency. Eileen Burbidge of Passion Capital, a VC firm that invested in Flattr, said at the time of Sunde’s arrest that the pursuit of the Pirate Bay founders will be viewed as a “farce” in the future:

The fact that Peter has been arrested in order to serve out a criminal sentence for his role in The Pirate Bay is such a stark contrast to where other individuals are at the moment such as Shawn Fanning and Sean Parker (two of the founders of Napster), or Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis (two of the founders of Kazaa).

All of these others are heralded as tech visionaries, wunderkinds and positive disruptors for their respective roles in peer-to-peer development, file sharing and how technology has impacted users’ consumption of content and information. They are all now venture capital or angel investors, heralded as industry luminaries — and meanwhile two of the co-founders of The Pirate Bay are sitting in jail cells.

Past its tenth birthday, the Pirate Bay sails on. Now run by a self-declared non-profit group registered in the Seychelles, the site is proud of the many legal threats against and the fact that it has never removed a torrent, as the hall of fame on its website shows.

So i don't know :) but i would think these are kinda related..

http://www.techworm.net/2014/12/sony-fightback-against-torrents-file-sharing-sites.html

Sony is very much involved in this. This was so far. Now they are going illegal:

According to Recode, Sony has started using various several technological countermeasures to disrupt downloads of its most sensitive information through torrents and file sharing services. Recode says that Sony is using hundreds of computers in Asia to execute what’s known as a Denial of Service (DoS) attack on the file sharing sites where its stolen data has been identified to be hosted.

They are pulling the Devil by the tail, as some people say i.e. asking for trouble.

http://www.techworm.net/2014/12/pirate-bay-cofounder-happy-see-tpb-dead-buried.html All of a sudden people with police problems (Peter who has already faced the wrath of the law for his role in starting the Pirate Bay, ) proceeded to speak against their own creations (More and more ads was filling the site, and somehow when it felt unimaginable to make these ads more distasteful - As if this is really a good reason to want a website dead). Does Peter have any regard for legitimate files uploaded there? Does he even think of the labours and risks behind the precious leaks of known and uknown people, which are intended to set people free when they show the crimes of the US army for example, or of some corporations?

Remeber Charlie Veich, who suddenly changed the course of his fight against the System? http://www.sott.net/article/230906-COINTELPRO-Pied-piper-Charlie-Veitch-pulls-a-9-11-U-turn-says-people-who-disbelieve-official-story-are-part-of-paranoid-cult

Just a clarification: the site with the .cr domain is just a mirror, not the actual Pirate Bay. Ditto with the others currently online. So it has no new content, just an index of the torrents that were uploaded before the site was shut down.

What is amazing to me is how long they let piratebay continue before the shutdown.

Maybe people don't remember that Napster was once the piratebay of its time a little over 10 years ago, before it was shut down and much later brought back as a legitimate service. Also, the music industry was suing college students and getting money judgments against them in the tens of thousands of dollars, for downloading mp3s. This is before iTunes, Netflix, and all the other ways companies finally figured out how to make money on digital content. So it was strange that piratebay lived on so long. Piratebay was only the most visible source standing. There are lots of other torrent sites out there.

It should also be noted that the Isohunt team, a Vancouver Torrent group, has set up a mirror of the old pirate bay, see here: _https://oldpiratebay.org/

I don't know if they'll have specific leaked documents. There is so much there, most of it not worth viewing.

I think this was a long time coming. Different groups have been gunning for the Pirate Bay for a long time. Not because they are particularly dangerous, but because they are quite loud and vocal in their views. They even have political parties, 'The Pirate Party', in multiple countries.

Back
Top Bottom