Geminid meteor swarm tonight

MusicMan

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
News is that the Geminid meteor swarm will begin approximately an hour from now and will proceed for about two hours. I'll be watching.
If you know where to find the constellation of Orion in the sky, look in that direction.
Apparently the meteorites will originate between Betelgeuse (A red giant) the eye of Orion, and the twins, Castor and Pollux, two stars close by.
Skies here are clear at the moment so maybe we'll see some action.

It was a really clear night yesterday in Lancashire, England, and looking East/North East i saw 8/9 meteorites in less than an hour. The first was the brightest! So i sat down, turned off all light and watched from my chair. (and i'm sure Cassiopaea was also in the sky)

I just checked Stellarium and i think chances are they were part of the Geminids, but i can't be sure. I used to live in the city - so it's been a while - but actually i've never seen anything like it before.

I'll be sure to have another look tonight! :)

As it turned out, I only spotted five, itellsya, so I thought I would give it another go last night, but this time I only spotted four. So it was disappointing this time around. The super bright street lights in this district didn't help much. Perhaps other parts of the world had a better view.

It was pretty cloudy here two nights ago so I just went outside for a short while to watch. I happened to catch one through the clouds going for more than a second.

The night talked about - the day after i saw them - was cloudy and i couldn't even see the stars! But, like you say, i know other, professional, UK based spotters had success.

I think what can be learnt from this is, if you get a clear night either side of the date of these events, to take a peep outside just incase. Like you The Mechanic, they lasted well over a second each; quite the sight :)

Back
Top Bottom