newbie question

archangelbob

The Force is Strong With This One
Hi,
I've got an Apple computer(new this summer) and I use their mail program. I tried when I introduced myself to have the mail program have what they are calling a 'smart mailbox' to contain emails from the forum here. But it doesn't seem to work.
Does anyone have any experience with that, why, if I assign an email address to a specific mailbox, they do not go there?
Thanks for reading this.
Peace,
AB

Hi archangelbob and my belated welcome to the forum.

Did you enter that specific address in your forum profile Account Settings over here?

If not, that would probably be the reason you're not getting your messages where you want them to go, as far as I can tell.

I'm not acquainted with Apple OS peculiarities though, so I cannot go much into that part of the equation.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Hi Palinurus,

thanks for the welcome.
Yes it is going to the correct address. I'm just trying to get this software to manage the emails so it's easier to see when forum stuff comes in.

:)

Pretty sure you won't get emails from the forum unless you sign up to be notified whenever someone replies to a topic that you posted in. What do you mean when you say it doesn't work? What's not working?

Apple's Mail program has a thing you can set up in your mailboxes. In this instance, I can tell the program that I want a Cassiopaea mailbox. When I do, I can give it the "forum@cassiopaea.org" and theoretically all mails from the forum would go straight into this mailbox. This would be helpful just to keep them all localized in their own mailbox. But I've set up such a mailbox twice, and the mails from the forum do not go in there.

I posed the question because I thought someone on the forum may use an Apple and would have an insight into how to make that work properly.

Thanks for asking.

archangelbob said:
Apple's Mail program has a thing you can set up in your mailboxes. In this instance, I can tell the program that I want a Cassiopaea mailbox. When I do, I can give it the "forum@cassiopaea.org" and theoretically all mails from the forum would go straight into this mailbox. This would be helpful just to keep them all localized in their own mailbox. But I've set up such a mailbox twice, and the mails from the forum do not go in there.

I posed the question because I thought someone on the forum may use an Apple and would have an insight into how to make that work properly.

Thanks for asking.

I don't know if you've tried it this way, but I have it set up that way using Rules. First, you create the mailbox, name it Cass Forum Emails or something. Then you go to Mail --> Preferences --> Rules. Click Add Rule. Put a description in, then under "If any of the following conditions are met" change the option from "Any recipient" by selecting the drop down menu and select From. Then paste forum@cassiopaea.org into the box after the word contains. Then under Perform The Following Actions, select Move Message. Then you can select the mailbox you created for this purpose, and all messages coming from forum@cassiopaea.org will be automatically placed in that mailbox.

Thanks Heimdallr! It looks like it works that way.
I had just added a smart mailbox from the dorpdown menu and it was there. I even gave it at the time the parameter of putting forum emails there. But nothing happened. When I did it through the rules page, I had to create a regular mailbox, in the section 'on my mac', and then it seemed to be set up correctly.

I would also like to say that over the years, without remembering a specific thing at the moment, I have always enjoyed your posts and responses to posts, so thanks for that as well!

Peace,
AB

Back
Top Bottom