CSA Rainbow Ranch Farms

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm a CSA member of Rainbow Ranch Farms. I'm not sure that I'd have access to any better meat than what they produce. "No Corn, No Soy, No Wheat, No G.M.O's, No G.E. Livestock &No Commercial/Production-Breeds. No Antibiotics, No Steroids & No Vaccines. Coconut-Free, Flax-Free, Fish-Free, Gluten-Free and No Trendy Fillers!"

People can't join now because membership is full and closed.
_http://www.rainbowranchfarms.com/

However, I bring this up because I'd like to know if you have farms in your area that raise their animals as well as them.

hlat said:
However, I bring this up because I'd like to know if you have farms in your area that raise their animals as well as them.

Hlat you mind find this resource helpful :)

The Weston Price Foundation is an excellent resource for finding good quality animal meat in your community. On their website you can check out the Find a Local Chapter tab and scroll through states to find a local chapter:

Local chapters help you find locally-grown organic and biodynamic vegetables, fruits and grains; and milk products, butter, eggs, chicken and meat from pasture-fed animals. They also represent the Weston A Price Foundation at local fairs and conferences and may host cooking classes, potluck dinners and other activities to help you learn to integrate properly prepared whole foods into your lifestyle. Local chapters may be able to put you in touch with health practitioners who share our philosophy and goals..

They sent an email with some facts about organic foods that I didn't know.

Did you know that when a bull, ram, boar or buck is castrated, that this is done to promote faster muscle growth, and to prevent the animal from wasting energy to produce male hormones?

Did you know that when an animal is castrated, it must be given an antibiotic shot along with a tetanus toxoid shot?

Did you know that when this process is performed very early in life, that it can still be CERTIFIED ORGANIC?

Did you know that just because a label states "100% Grass-Fed" it does not mean it was not lot-fed/finished with grains, corn, soy, wheat, old donuts, re-purposed buffet/restaurant food waste or barley?

Did you know that corn, rice, wheat & barley (even certified organic) is stored in large elevators, air dried and sprayed with pesticides (for insect & rodent control), and fire retardants (to prevent explosions)?

Did you know that 99.9% of all livestock in the U.S.A. intended for human consumption, and those that produce eggs & milk are vaccinated, and can still be labeled CERTIFIED ORGANIC?

Did you know that flax seeds contain the highest amount of phyto-estrogen, even more than soy?

Wow hlat! What a shocker!

I've needed to look into the organic story more closely for awhile. I know its not what it seems and is being more corrupted as time goes on. But I had no idea it was this bad, especially with the grain storage.

The whole issue of grass fed, organic meats is also a gray area which has me questioning. My landlord raises cattle which he advertises as grass fed and tells me he absolutely thinks vaccinations are essential being a vet. But this shouldn't affect the meat quality as these shots are given when the animal is very young. I know he castrates the bulls as well which is a grim topic. He's going to give me free bones for broth, now I'm wondering about the quality.

The chain of super markets I buy from (some things) City Market, came out with a line of "organic" foods a few years ago including meat. They are definitely cheaper than the health food stores. At first I thought it was a good deal, but I'm always suspicious.

Deception is every where...

I think you just have to do the best you can. You will likely not find anything 100% pure. As far as castrating goes, I know that for pigs you don't have to give them antibiotics after doing it. And also regarding pork, pigs can't survive on grass alone so there is no 100% grass fed pork. So you get "pasture raised" which means they are getting a decent percentage of their food from pasture. Cows on the other hand can be 100% grass fed.

As for pigs my experience with them tells me they do not need any shots of any kind. The only thing i worry about is worms. I was working on instinct and mixing things such as garlic, onions, and ginger with their feed fairly often thinking this may help. Due to some problems recently with my cats i have started to think that i may need to do something more aggressive, but still natural. I know that the "normal" yorkshire pigs that are out there have been very heavily genetically modified. I think this should also be a factor when selecting pork.

davey72 said:
Due to some problems recently with my cats i have started to think that i may need to do something more aggressive, but still natural. I know that the "normal" yorkshire pigs that are out there have been very heavily genetically modified. I think this should also be a factor when selecting pork.

How about trying Oregano oil? It is used to kill parasites in humans, and also this topic was created recently on the forum about chickens. From a quick search on the net, there was some research done with pigs too.

Thanks to this and a couple other topics i may start mixing the oregeno oil, and diotemacious earth with the garlic, ginger, and onion i feed them.

For all natural worming use diatomaceous earth, food grade. It's fossilized micro organisms, you put it in the water very common for worming livestock. I give it to my dogs cause I feed them raw meat that's conventional raised, I hope to be able to feed them all pastured as soon as possible. Also eatwild.com is la great local and organic farmers website for the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom