Predestination (2014)

sToRmR1dR

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
PREDESTINATION chronicles the life of a Temporal Agent sent on an intricate series of time travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity. Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/?ref_=nv_sr_1

All I can say is wow, it made me wonder about this reality and the time loops that the C's mentioned.

(I originally wanted to write a review with a spoiler, but saw that what I wrote below is a better way to introduce the topics from the movie without spoiling the plot.)

After seeing the whole loop, it reminded me of the danger of having time travel- creating paradoxes that would either eliminate or create a reality that exists because of time travel- and has to use it to keep running, like a "hell". Maybe this is sort of a microcosm of what reincarnation is, direct karma due to choices- violating your own free will.

I would guess that 4d STS are able to time travel without this effect, because they can step out of this reality and "reprogram" it, like a computer programmer can back away from code and see it run. But, it seems like inside the 3d reality, it's all completed... much like the C's said, how we wouldn't be able to perceive the time loops being changed/introduced, it just is the reality we are in.

The short story on which the film is based is available on line:

hxxp://cla.calpoly.edu/~lcall/303/heinlein_all_you_zombies.pdf

Fully enjoyed the film, nice additional sub-plots and dramatization, whilst not deviating far from the original story.

There is also a summary of the plot of the story/film in the "Movies: Time Travel" thread here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36784.msg540797.html#msg540797

I thought the premise was very original, but I did not enjoy the movie itself that much.

Spoiler:
The premise is that the main character is both his mother AND his father through complicated time travel of his own.

Livy:Has anyone saw the movie predestination about time travel??? it really perplexed me but had a good plot. It makes me think of the movie edge of tomorrow. I wonder if mr. robertson was the time traveler also? its like a never ending loop. how do you break the loop?

side note :Laura should ask the C's more on time travel and the creation/evolution of humans.

We have a thread on this topic: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36948.0.html

:)

I watched it myself and it wasn't what I expected.

Only read if you've watched the movie:

How did the baby come into being if both parents were the same person? The baby is the same person as the parents, right? So, we have a mother, a father and daughter who are all the same person? Plus to top it up, the criminal being chased is the mother, the father and the daughter.... they are all the same person?

Did I miss anything?

One thing bugs me... in the laundrette, before he kills the fizzle bomber, he tells him that if he is to kill him, the whole loop will play out again, that he will turn into the fizzle bomber i.e. the guy he is chasing who happens to be him to begin with, right? So anyways, he killed him or rather killed himself... how does he turn into the fizzle bomber? I don't think the fizzle bomber's explanation cut it as to why he was doing it because his last job would result in more dead than he was saving... no?

God, this is confusing...

luke wilson said:
Only read if you've watched the movie:

How did the baby come into being if both parents were the same person? The baby is the same person as the parents, right? So, we have a mother, a father and daughter who are all the same person? Plus to top it up, the criminal being chased is the mother, the father and the daughter.... they are all the same person?

Did I miss anything?

One thing bugs me... in the laundrette, before he kills the fizzle bomber, he tells him that if he is to kill him, the whole loop will play out again, that he will turn into the fizzle bomber i.e. the guy he is chasing who happens to be him to begin with, right? So anyways, he killed him or rather killed himself... how does he turn into the fizzle bomber? I don't think the fizzle bomber's explanation cut it as to why he was doing it because his last job would result in more dead than he was saving... no?

God, this is confusing...

Spoiler: That's what I understood, when "he" travelled to the past, he introduced a new and foreign element (himself) into a reality that was already existing (where "she" was living). Something like "I am my own grandpa" song (which I find very funny, by the way)

I interpreted it as that the soul has many faces (as the many faces of God, so above as below) and some of them are developed through choices we make in life and others remain latent.

Saw it last night (I like time travel films), and had worked out 50% of the plot in the first 2 minutes, 80% of the plot in the first 20 minutes and most of the rest at the half way point.

*spoiler alert*

It was pretty well done, but I didn't like the fixed outcome.
In-fact it felt like the whole thing was setup in order to justify the 'temporal crime agencies existence' and Jane was just a patsy stuck the hell of a temporal loop.

I actually got a little annoyed at it by the end, probably because of how 'trapped' the character was. Perhaps more because of how accepting they where of the role they Had to play.
Something else bugged me that I can't quite put my finger on, other than perhaps there was a current of superiority/authoritarianism/psychopathy running through it.

I looked it up after seeing it in the films credits, it's based on a short story called All You Zombies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies

The film 12 Monkies deals with the theme a lot better I think - perhaps because the main character fights to change things?
As for temporal paradoxes the film Looper was much more interesting (especially the end), even if it was a bit on the silly side. I was hoping for the Looper end at the end of this film.

Back
Top Bottom