Historical Events Database - Coordination

Data, I have created Source #558 for the Amos Earthquake but couldn't upload the PDF-file.

Its URL is displayed in the source. Would you please download that PDF directly into the database for me ?

I'll be busy editing Event #2412 within the next few hours. Thank you.

Question about Events #4594-4596 to Zadig:

The Source is Ptolemy, Amalgest. Did you take these quotes from Historical Eclipses and Earth's rotation by Stephenson, and if yes, from Google Books preview or Amazon preview?

Data said:
Question about Events #4594-4596 to Zadig:

The Source is Ptolemy, Amalgest. Did you take these quotes from Historical Eclipses and Earth's rotation by Stephenson, and if yes, from Google Books preview or Amazon preview?

No.

I see it is possible to include a picture in classes Source and Person (via drag and drop to appropriate field). Is it possible to include an image at a Text or Event?

If it is not (yet?) possible, it would make a nice additional feature IMHO - at least for events we have got pictures of the event itself or the remains of events. Maybe the image not as part of an Event or a Text but as additional class (Picture?) you could include into an event (maybe also with the possibility to switch it on / off for publication)? :)

These links do not work any more - I assume this is intended?

Data said:
Project "Chronicle of the Fall" - ALL Events: {link removed by moderator}
Project "Chronicle of the Fall" - REVIEWING Events: {link removed by moderator}

Project "Caesar" - ALL Events: {link removed by moderator}
Project "Caesar" - REVIEWING Events: {link removed by moderator}

Dirgni said:
I see it is possible to include a picture in classes Source and Person (via drag and drop to appropriate field). Is it possible to include an image at a Text or Event?

If it is not (yet?) possible, it would make a nice additional feature IMHO - at least for events we have got pictures of the event itself or the remains of events. Maybe the image not as part of an Event or a Text but as additional class (Picture?) you could include into an event (maybe also with the possibility to switch it on / off for publication)? :)

OK, I've added file uploads for Texts. Please only upload images if available -- no PDF's.

Dirgni said:

Yes, I've removed the PDF's for now because we now have the public web interface of the HED which is more convenient for previewing.

Data said:
OK, I've added file uploads for Texts. Please only upload images if available -- no PDF's.

Dirgni said:

Yes, I've removed the PDF's for now because we now have the public web interface of the HED which is more convenient for previewing.

Thank you for clarification and for your superfast implementation, Data.
I did not expect something like that.

Today I got a copy of the Yeomans comets book. Now I can check my Yeomans/Kronk entries one by one. :cool2:

Data, while checking the published web version of my Event #2942 (Famine in Syria, 24BCE) I noticed you deleted quite a body of text --which I have no objections to-- but forgot to change the quote readings of verse and PDF-pages which still read as: verse 1-2 and pp. 839-841

As the event is currently rendered, these readings should be shown as follows:

Book 15, Chapter 9, verse 1, pages 839-840

These are only minor alterations but I think they are necessary to avoid confusion among future users.

Would you please correct the current readings yourself manually since I cannot get editing access to published web events ?

Thanks in advance.

Palinurus said:
Data, while checking the published web version of my Event #2942 (Famine in Syria, 24BCE) I noticed you deleted quite a body of text --which I have no objections to-- but forgot to change the quote readings of verse and PDF-pages which still read as: verse 1-2 and pp. 839-841

Fixed, thanks for the heads-up!

Data, while combing through all my entries in the HED-History thread I discovered a mention of an earthquake in both Jewish Wars and Antiquities of the Jews.

This is the entry I now speak of: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33985.msg479947.html#msg479947

This earthquake has been published as Event #2925 based on quotations from only the AJ-source which is mentioned as such.

The Jewish Wars quote about the same earthquake should come second there and is taken from BJ-source Book I, Chapter 19, verse 3 -- PDF pp. 1147-1148

This is the text to quote:

In a little time after this calamity, Herod came to bring them succors; but he came too late. Now the occasion of that blow was this, that the officers would not obey orders; for had not the fight begun so suddenly, Athenio had not found a proper season for the snares he laid for Herod: however, he was even with the Arabians afterward, and overran their country, and did them more harm than their single victory could compensate. But as he was avenging himself on his enemies, there fell upon him another providential calamity; for in the seventh 656 year of his reign, when the war about Actium was at the height, at the beginning of the spring, the earth was shaken, and destroyed an immense number of cattle, with thirty thousand men; but the army received no harm, because it lay in the open air. In the mean time, the fame of this earthquake elevated the Arabians to greater courage, and this by augmenting it to a fabulous height, as is constantly the case in melancholy accidents, and pretending that all Judea was overthrown. Upon this supposal, therefore, that they should easily get a land that was destitute of inhabitants into their power, they first sacrificed those ambassadors who were come to them from the Jews, and then marched into Judea immediately. Now the Jewish nation were affrighted at this invasion, and quite dispirited at the greatness of their calamities one after another;

656 Note from the translator William Whiston: This seventh year of the reign of Herod [from the conquest or death of Antigonus], with the great earthquake in the beginning of the same spring, which are here fully implied to be not much before the fight at Actium, between Octavius and Antony, and which is known from the Roman historians to have been in the beginning of September, in the thirty-first year before the Christian era, determines the chronology of Josephus as to the reign of Herod, viz. that he began in the year 37, beyond rational contradiction. Nor is it quite unworthy of our notice, that this seventh year of the reign of Herod, or the thirty-first before the Christian era, contained the latter part of a Sabbatic year, on which Sabbatic year, therefore, it is plain this great earthquake happened in Judea.

This quote definitely should be added to Event #2925. I'm not quite clear about why or how it was omitted but quite pleased to have found it again.

Would you please look into it and preferably fix it as I don't have direct access to it ? Thanks in advance (again). ;D

Note: I'm perfectly willing to do it myself when you're too busy with other things. Just let me know and give me access.

Palinurus said:
Note: I'm perfectly willing to do it myself when you're too busy with other things. Just let me know and give me access.

Ok, I've set the event back into 'review failed' so that you can edit it. Thanks!

Could you please check if it makes sense to keep Text #1554 in Event E#1219? Text #1554 describes "unspecified prodigies" and a "war" but not a comet like Event E#1219 / Text #1553 IMO.

Maybe the original editor of Text #1554 (Zadig?) could make an own event for this text in order to handle it separately? (All other entries connected with the "Agnellus of Ravenna" S#235 were done by Zadig)

Text #1554 :
Agnellus of Ravenna, The Book of Pontiffs of the Church of Ravenna,The Catholic University of America Press, 2004, p.193:

“Concerning Holy Maximian, 546-57

A red sign appeared in the sky on the eleventh day of the month of November; and Pope Pelagius died on the third day of the month of March (3 March 561). Then Lord Narses with his army proceeded to Rome (552). And in that time there were many signs and prodigies around Ravenna, so that many put marks upon their property and homes and vessels, so that they might be recognized again later; and visions appeared to many during the day, like men speaking with them face to face. And they fought against the citizens of Verona, and the city of Verona was captured by the armies on the twentieth day of the month of July (November 562). And another great and terrible sign was seen, behold in the air as if men were fighting among themselves, brandishing weapons as if in battle, on July 25, in the third hour of the day, on a Monday; and after this many were terrified. “

Same Text #1553 is included in Event E#1219 (Comet) and Event E#1220 (Solar Eclipse):
The French text Historiae Ecclesiasticae Francorum Libri Decem (592) notes, “And once, on the kalends of October [October 1], the sun appeared so darkened, that not a quarter part kept its light, but it was murky and discolored, as sackcloth. Moreover, a star, by some styled comet, which had a projection like a sword, appeared over that region throughout a whole year, and the heavens seemed to burn.” George F. Chambers (1889) suggested the comet remained visible for a month, rather than a year.

There was a total solar eclipse on October 3 of this year. It should be noted that Gregory was describing some of the prodigies that preceded the great plague of Auvergne, France. This has been dated as occurring in 571. Since the comet was not directly dated and since it did not necessarily occur at the time of the eclipse, it is probably more correct to assume it was seen sometime between 563 and 571. Therefore, this could be a supporting observation of the comets of 565 or 568, although the latter would seem more likely.

Dirgni said:
Could you please check if it makes sense to keep Text #1554 in Event E#1219?

No. The summary of Event #1219 says: "A comet like a sword appears AND the heavens seems to burn". Text #1554 does not describe either. Another problem here is that the summary describes two things that need to be separated into two events. We want to break events down as much as possible.

You can create 7 Events by re-using Texts #1553 and #1554 in the following way for example:

Text #1553:

* sun appeared darkened, that not a quarter part kept its light (Event Category: Solar Eclipse)
* a star, styled comet (Event Category: Comet)
* heaven seemed to burn (Event Category: Fire in the sky)

Text #1554:

* red sign in the sky (Event Category: Fire in the sky)
* many signs and prodigies around Ravenna, visions appeard to them during the day, like men speaking with them face to face (Event Category: Prodigy)
* city of Verona was captured by the armies (Event Category: Sack or Destruction of City)
* sign in the air as if men were fighthing among themselves, brandishing weapons as if in battle (Event Category: Fire in the Sky)

Data said:
Dirgni said:
Could you please check if it makes sense to keep Text #1554 in Event E#1219?

No. The summary of Event #1219 says: "A comet like a sword appears AND the heavens seems to burn". Text #1554 does not describe either. Another problem here is that the summary describes two things that need to be separated into two events. We want to break events down as much as possible.

You can create 7 Events by re-using Texts #1553 and #1554 in the following way for example: ...

Thank you very much for your help and detailed clarification, Data. :flowers:

Can I contribute to the project somehow? I was thinking of adding some dates from different Russian Chronicles since many of them are available only in Old-Russian. The oldest chronicle dates to 11th century and describes events of the 9th century. Can it be beneficial to add events from the 9th century onwards? What kind of them? All or about Earth changes only?

For now priority one are entries for the time around Caesar and entries till 500 AD because these time frames are planned to be published.

There are already entries in HED from 9th century onwards. You could read the "Historical Events Database - History" thread - especially the entries of Laura and Data for the type of events to be collected (how to include entries are partly outdated), Events are earth changes and fire in the sky but also others. The HED itself shows the categories. You should also read Data's entries in this thread for how to do entries in the database. Database entry language is English. Old Russian texts not available in English need to be translated.

Data said:
For all HED editors: The public interface of the HED only will show Events set to the state "published_web" (which is one higher than "review_passed"). Right now, there are about 40 published Events. It will fill up as we go along with the review process. The login link has changed, and I don't want to post it here because it's private from now on. Could all Editors who want to continue working with the HED send me a PM, so that I can send you the new login link? Thanks!

You could send Data a PM and ask for an account.

Back
Top Bottom