The Signal

Ask-Seek-Knock

Padawan Learner
Last night I watched the sci-fi movie called The Signal with Laurence Fishburne. It was definitely not what I expected. Warning, it is slow at times which made me want to fast forward through some of the scenes that seemed to go on and on with no substance. IMO it was underdeveloped. The story has potential, maybe if a more experienced director had worked the project I would give it a thumbs up. It kept us guessing for a while which is why we continued to watch it and the ending offered answers but no closure. I'll stop there so I don't spoil it for you.

I watched it some time ago - I wasn't expecting it to go the way it did, but I thought it was interesting nevertheless. It's an interesting "alien abduction" story with small predictable twists and turns. It did reminded me a little bit like an episode from The Twilight Zone.

I watched it recently and while it had some good points I agree with Ask-Seek-Knock that it was underdeveloped. Without wanting to reveal anything I'd say that the plot has been done several times before in much better versions. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Signal, a sci-fi starring Lawrence Fishburne and Beau Knapp, 2014

The theme is alien abduction.

I thought this movie was pretty good. I came in 10 minutes late to a scene that reminded me of The Blair Witch Project, not a favorite of mine. Kind of slow, people fumbling around in the dark....but somehow continued on and it became much more interesting. There are some nicely done, bizarre, surreal images and scenes and in all, kept me guessing through the entire movie. I thought the plot and some of the characters where quite original. Lawrence Fishburne is a treat, somewhat reminiscent of his character in The Matrix, a very stoic character and suspiciously odd. A few scenes with awesome special affects.

The ending was a surprise for me and I always appreciate that(if it gives a reasonable conclusion). I'm always on the look out for a good sci-fi movie and this was entertaining and worth the watch. Not to over estimate it though, but if your looking for something reasonably good in the sci-fi area check it out.

:D

I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great but a indie-type time travel movie.

FWIW, I really liked Primer that came out about ten years ago. Very tight with an intense plot that keeps you one edge.

Edit: Apoologies - I was thinking of another film. Zadius Sky's link to the other thread on this film made me realise it. The film I was thinking about was Coherence and is discussed in this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36350.msg532121.html#msg532121

Zadius Sky said:
There's already a thread on this film: :)

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36424.0.html

They have been merged.

Thanks Zadius Sky for the info.

Hi! I thought for sure there would be an existing thread on this movie so did a search and didn't find it.... :shock:. Must have been looking in the wrong category. S

Back
Top Bottom