Unable to share SOTT's Quote Of The Day on Facebook

skycsil

Jedi Master
Hi all! I tried to share the Quote of the Day on fb a few times, but everytime the image showing up is the SOTT logo instead of the quote image. This also applies to Spanish SOTT. An idea would be to post it on the SOTT facebook page so we can share it from there.

It's not supposed to show exactly what is on SOTT, because it can't. The background of the quote box is an image, but the actual quote is text. So, it uses the old Facebook sharing link (_https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php) instead of the new-fangled sharing widget. It sends the quote text, and the default SOTT logo as an image.

Previously, this worked... but, the old sharing link is officially deprecated by FB, and it appears it no longer works at all now. This was a total hack, because it was the only way I could get it to share the Quote of the Day text. I'm amazed it's worked this long!

The problem is that FB wants a page to share, not an image and some text.

So, back to the drawing board.

The obvious solution is to make each Quote of the Day and each Pic of the Day have their own page - IOW, each would be its own "article". Then the normal FB sharing widget will be happy.

But, I'm still working out how to accomplish this in such a way that all existing PotD's and QotD's will retroactively have their own "article".

:knitting:

Scottie said:
The obvious solution is to make each Quote of the Day and each Pic of the Day have their own page - IOW, each would be its own "article". Then the normal FB sharing widget will be happy.

But, I'm still working out how to accomplish this in such a way that all existing PotD's and QotD's will retroactively have their own "article".

Okay, I figured it out. This will all be fixed in the upcoming "SOTT site refresh".

New SOTT will be released sometime between 1 week and 3 months from now (time doesn't exist).
;D

It has never worked for me. I still try every once in awhile. I am sure i have tried it with different browsers and my phone all with the same effect. I do remember it working a few or more years ago though.

Scottie said:
Scottie said:

Okay, I figured it out. This will all be fixed in the upcoming "SOTT site refresh".

New SOTT will be released sometime between 1 week and 3 months from now (time doesn't exist).
;D

those are great news! Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom