Survival Experiments

Woodsman quote:
I have over the last two winters as well as this one, not turned on the heating system. -This was to save money on heating bills, as well as to experience what it would be like to deal directly with cold for a few months...

Woodsman, experimenting with coldness over many months is brave. Congratulations for persevering over three winters!

Waiting in bed for your toes and knees to warm up: Have you tried a hot water bottle? They were high fashion before electric blankets... Or you could heat bricks or stones, wrap them in towels and place them under the covers before getting into bed, or place them at the your feet and knees in bed. And/or wear two or three pairs of thin socks to bed; they will trap your body heat between the layers - body heat quickly escapes through one pair of thick socks. I cannot fall asleep with cold feet and have found that doing the EE breathing exercises in bed soon warms me up. And I don't know if it is only psychological, but when I cover my head with a scarve in bed, my feet warms up! People believed for a long time that a lot of body heat escapes from the head, but lately experts have been saying that is not true. Nevertheless, perhaps you should try some kind of "night cap".

Eating spices like curry warms me up quickly. They say sprinkling mustard powder inside one's socks warms up the feet - it stimulates the blood circulation there - but I haven't tried that one yet.

Instead of piling up many heavy blankets, have you tried a space blanket? It is lightweight and reflects your body heat back to you - it is windproof and repels water as well. However, it can get slippery from the condensation of your perspiration, so maybe you can sacrifice some of the reflected heat by placing it between two other blankets. Loose-weave blankets are very warm - it is said that heat gets trapped in the holes. I use loose-knit blankets on top of a bedsheet and it keeps me warm on cold nights. A blanket under the bottom sheet is also cozier.

I don't know what your layers of clothing are made of exactly, but it is best if the layers are not too thick. Three or four thin layers of the right materials should be enough, if you are not active. One's body heat gets trapped between each layer of clothing and one doesn't really need thick clothing to keep warm. Apparently even mountain climbers wear only a couple of thinnish layers in extremely cold mountain conditions, with a shell (outer layer) that is windproof and waterproof. The advantage of layer-dressing is that it is very adaptable, you can take layers off and add layers back on, depending on your activity level. The materials that the different layers are made of are very important, however. For instance, wearing a cotton T-shirt as the base layer will keep you cold, as cotton soaks up perspiration and doesn't dry easily. Wool is good to wear next to the skin, but for me it is too scratchy. Man-made material is the other choice as the first layer (inside layer). There are many sources on the internet describing exactly what materials the different layers should be made of.

A general tip if caught out somewhere in the cold, is to take off one's jacket/coat and drape it over your head and shoulders to trap your body heat in your little tent. Keeping your jacket on, will quickly allow your body heat to escape into the air. Also, whether indoors or outdoors, tie your trousers around your ankles, as body heat escapes between the bottom of your pants and your shoes.

People living in very cold areas should have at least one room in the house well insulated against the cold, as you have done with the blankets covering up the windows. Preferably it should be a room with a fireplace or a gas heater if there is no electricity or heating system working. Important is to place some kind of screen behind your back while sitting in front of the fire/gas heater so that the screen will cast the heat back to you - a table on its side works well as a screen. If you are caught in the cold outside, sit with your back close to a rock "wall" or something solid that will cast your fire's heat back to you. Indoors the room should be well ventilated if you make a fire, you don't want to die from toxic gasses instead of from hypothermia.

It is a good idea to read up on hypothermia to know the symptoms and treatments, for instance at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia.

Ynna said:
A general tip if caught out somewhere in the cold, is to take off one's jacket/coat and drape it over your head and shoulders to trap your body heat in your little tent. Keeping your jacket on, will quickly allow your body heat to escape into the air. Also, whether indoors or outdoors, tie your trousers around your ankles, as body heat escapes between the bottom of your pants and your shoes.

Hi Ynna,
my experience is that there are 2 major " heat escape hatches" in our body: the soles of our feet and the large vertebra (the prominent vertebra where the neck meets the back). Therefore I wear socks when sleeping and protect the back of my neck with a scarf when the weather is windy. The wind and the cold would always creep in first at these two location. I use to massage the large vertebra when I feel the skin crawling on my head and back due to wind exposure in order to close the pores.
FWIW , Joy

Shared Joy said:
Ynna said:

Hi Ynna,
my experience is that there are 2 major " heat escape hatches" in our body: the soles of our feet and the large vertebra (the prominent vertebra where the neck meets the back). Therefore I wear socks when sleeping and protect the back of my neck with a scarf when the weather is windy. The wind and the cold would always creep in first at these two location. I use to massage the large vertebra when I feel the skin crawling on my head and back due to wind exposure in order to close the pores.
FWIW , Joy

I find a light weight silk scarf wrapped loosely several times around the neck works wonders in keeping warm through out the day. The silk is more comfortable than merino wool however outdoors I still prefer merino or alpaca (which is incredibly warm) In extremely cold weather I layer the wool over the silk scarf.

In the UK I buy thermal tops from Uniglo on the high street, they are a reasonable price and come in nice colours for men and for women. Kids too I think. Then I wear a merino top over this.....sometimes 2 depending on the temperature.

In my native country New Zealand, we tend not to have our houses heated to the same exent as Europe, though in some parts it isnt as cold. We always wrap up in layers in our houses rather than crank the heating up! Im sure that this is healthier and creates more reailiance.

I cant bring myself to have cold showers yet, tried a few times and felt so good afterward. ..going to try through the summer and ease into it next winter.

Quote Riclapaz:
...was sad and surprised to see, people in the streets, strong sunlight, waiting for the arrival of the water pipes

An emergency supply of drinking water is important. I have about 100 litres. I live alone, so it could last me a month or so, but then there will be family and friends who know that I have some emergency supplies and they will come knocking on my door to help them, even though they are now smiling at my "negative outlook on the future".

If you have completely run out of water, there are some places you can look for it:

There could still be some water in the geyser, in the plumbing and in the hose pipe. Look in the ice block containers in the freezer. You can drink the water in the toilet water tank (not the water in the toilet bowl); boil the water from the toilet water tank before drinking it. If you have a water mattress, it can supply up to 1,800 litres of water - check if the plastic contains chemicals that would be bad for your health, however; otherwise use it for flushing the toilet. In an emergency, all water should be boiled before drinking it; let it boil fast for 3-5 minutes.

In nature, some signs of water are ferns, palm trees, reeds. Note the paths some creatures take for water - bees, ants, even flies. At sundown, birds fly toward their water supply.

Ynna said:
In nature, some signs of water are ferns, palm trees, reeds. Note the paths some creatures take for water - bees, ants, even flies. At sundown, birds fly toward their water supply.

Indeed, very good points - and game trails can sometimes be hard to spot, however, once you see them you kind of always notice them. There are so many signs in nature, and of nature, that can be very helpful if you can read them. I posted this a few years back from an old book called 'The Edible Wild' http://www.amazon.com/The-Edible-Wild-Complete-Cookbook/dp/0684127598 by Berglund and Bolsby. They discuss many plants and things of nature that can sustain a person very well. For instance, rocks and trees produce foods such as lichens that can be boiled for a soup along with some mosses. The inner cambium layers of some trees can be scrapped and cooked and of course insects, as has been suggested above, including leaves and roots. There are likely a number of more modern books and videos on this subject, yet this book is pretty good.

Those are some good 'staying warm' tips, Ynna. Thank-you!

I especially like the concept of making sure to have at least one room in a house which is well-insulated; designed to be a warmth refuge. That's just a smart idea!

For me it was my bed, and also my washroom which I could steam up quickly. -But in a no-energy situation, the bed was it, and not entirely practical if you wanted to be both warm and doing something other than just napping, but otherwise it works wonderfully. Cold feet don't bother me much, and it was always a surprising pleasure to wake up to discover that my toes were all nice and toasty warm after sleeping.

The first year, what I'd do is fill 1 liter mason jars with hot water from the tap and tuck a few of those into my bed down south in the foot-zone. But I didn't think to do that this year, probably because I don't actually find the cold particularly uncomfortable anymore and my body has gotten used to warming itself up.

The diet helps enormously, and EE is very much like force-blowing oxygen into a furnace.

I have "Smartwool" long underwear. http://www.smartwool.com -It's a company which makes merino wool clothing. I find their stuff quite comfortable to wear against my skin. When spring rolls around, it's always a bit of a sad thing to have to ditch the long johns. They're like wearing a hug all the time. I also, this year invested in a Merino wool top, which has become my new best friend. On top of these base layers, I wear multiple shirts and sweaters, etc. When I go outside, all I do is put on a windbreaker over top of whatever I'm already wearing. When I visit a "normal-person" house or a cafe or something, I strip off most of that stuff, and create a fairly impressive pile of laundry in one corner.

Ohhhh. And two layers of "Smartwool" socks. One is good, but two... Their wool socks are wonderful! So soft and warm. -I wear one layer for the insulation value, and the other to absorb regular wear damage and floor dirt and such. (I used last year's socks for that.) The result has been comfortable feet except on those really cold days. I did some canning earlier this week, and the outside of the pressure cooker gets untouchably hot. I'd managed to step in a puddle of water, and so to dry off my socks, I lay them on top of the canner after its cook cycle was over, but while it was still scalding hot. --It was remarkable. I discovered I could put my hand inside the double-layer sock and touch the canner's metal surface for as long as I wanted without feeling anything but a bit of warmth come through. Like space shuttle tiles. Wool is amazing stuff.

The weather for the past few weeks hasn't really seen the temps drop below minus 10, and lately is hovering just below freezing. At these temps, I find I don't even notice the cold. I even had my window open for a while just to circulate the air. It was only in January and February where we had a few of those dangerously cold days and nights with frost bite warnings that things become truly uncomfortable.

My first year, I also had a silk wind breaker. -I found it at a discount clothing place for only $6. Silk is amazing! You could almost squish the whole jacket into one of my jeans pockets, (though not quite), and I couldn't believe its heat retention value! I wore it, literally to rags by my second Winter and had to discard it. I'd love another, but I doubt I'd be able to justify one at full retail price, especially as my current clothing solutions are more than adequate. But it was a neat experiment.

Thankfully, Spring appears to be returning to Nova Scotia. For a while there I wasn't sure we were going to get any warm weather, but the crazy-high snow banks have been melting nicely over the past few days. I look forward to getting my bike back on the road!

Tracy Anne said:
Ynna said:
Tracy Anne quote:
I had the experience of the Christchurch earthquake in 2011. Though not in the city centre, I was driving into Christchurch at the time and stopped at a cafe not far from the outskirts of the city. It was there that I felt it...

What did I learn from this experience? To keep things in your car at all times....water, warm clothes, blankets, dried food, even spare medication and reading glasses. Of course a first aid kit.

The way my friend acted by laughing and making jokes was infuriating and I couldnt get through to him about the seriousness of the situation. But then he was English and not accustomed to the earthquake drills we grew up with at school and also in the workplace so I was able to think on the spot.

Thank you, Tracy Anne, for this contribution. A bad experience for you, but you kept calm and had a clear head because you were prepared by the drills. I have nothing in my car except a small bottle of water and a very basic first aid kit. I will definitely remedy that as you suggest above, in case something bad happens when I am on the road or need to very quickly leave my home because of some disaster.

Sounds if your friend was very scared and did not have the faintest idea how to handle a dangerous situation.

It is interesting to know how people can react differently in a crisis situation. We assume that everyone will be alert and be able to make rational sensible decisions but this is not the case. Some people become paralysed with fear or just carry on like nothing is happening around them, and yes some, like my friend, make jokes to cope with the stress. What I did find though, was he just went along with my decisions and didnt have any input, which put a lot of responsibility on me, however it was a good opportunity to test out my skills and I surprised myself.

My husband (Esoterica) and I like to go camping on the weekends (in summer) with basic equipment as we really enjoy getting out in nature. Soon I would like to go with even more basic equipment.....maybe a test survival night just to see how we would fare.

Ynna glad you found the car advice useful. I must add a few things like a small single cooker, a small pot to boil water too, and some waterproof clothing. Especially when driving at night you never know what you might encounter. A torch would be useful.

Hello Tracey Anne, That Christchurch Earthquake experience would have been most valuable!
One thing that I have included in the glove box of our car is face masks. I thought about this when the bush fires were raging nearby, and I considered that it might be useful if we could breathe in a smokey atmosphere. And they're cheap.
Driving through smoke is a no-no, because you might encounter fallen trees, which are very unforgiving, or other stopped / crashed cars.

Using silk scarves and shirts under the scratchy wool layers are excellent ideas. And adding a few face masks to the prep things in the car, too! Woodsman, you seem to be very well organised against cold conditions.

Thinking about insulating a room against the cold, I wondered about those multimillionaires buying survival apartments in the old missile silos, which they hope will insulate them from a chaotic world.

(Anybody read Hugh Howey's "Wool"? I really enjoyed that book and looking forward to read the followup very much.)

I don't think I will ever want to live in a hole in the ground, no matter how comfortable and protected against nuclear fallout. What if the earth starts shaking and shifting during a cataclysm? You'll be trapped deep inside the earth, maybe all upside down, in the dark, and nothing working anymore. I would rather take my chances on the surface of the earth, in a cave or basement if one is available and my home shattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLy6AXjwQK8
Ultimate Tour of a Doomsday Bunker, Inside the Luxury Survival Condos

http://www.littlethings.com/luxury-survival-condos/

Attachments

• luxury-survival-condos-38-600x637.jpg
    luxury-survival-condos-38-600x637.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 154
The article discusses the ways in which we can survive in the wild and accessories for survival
Quote:

Survival in the wild
Survival is a situation where the soldiers forced to use all their skills and knowledge, intellectual, mental and physical abilities, and improvised means that they have at their disposal in order to extreme natural conditions, save their lives and health.

The proper attitude in a survival situation

Training in survival in winter and polar conditions
Of all the most important proper attitude to a crisis situation, ie keeping sanity. Experience shows that a rational understanding of survival possible in every, even the seemingly worst situation, as well as in all areas on Earth, from Arctic conditions in the tundra to lifeless areas in the desert.

Survival depends largely on conditions in the environment. The priorities are not the same in different climates and in different periods of time in cold mountainous and Arctic regions shelter and fire are a priority, in the desert and tropical regions emphasis is given to finding the much needed water. Also it depends on the equipment that is available: the person who finds himself in the mountainous regions, and with him a lighter or matches, warm and tight clothes and a good deal of the insulation material does not have to worry about the cold, her priority becomes finding food and water as and making shelters.

However, in any situation where survival is possible to see it, should be reiterated that survival depends primarily on the proper mental framework and survival generally begins "in your head".

No matter how much equipment was sophisticated man is still a key factor for survival and what it often hampers and limits are its psychological reactions to stress. In a stressful situation should recognize the dangers, but also opportunities for their removal. It is important to immediately accept the fact that this is an extreme situation, but also need to immediately look into the options that are pulled out the most possible in order to stay in the wild in an unknown area as safe as possible.

Situations survival is easier to overcome in a group rather than individually, but it is important that is a cohesion. The group that is not working team reduces the chance of survival because eventually leads to problems, and danger fear turns into panic resulting in a lack of concentration and a reasonable understanding.

In such moments of fear is a normal reaction to the unknown. He appears whenever the situation negatively affects the essential human needs and livelihoods, can be reduced continuous training and confrontation with what can happen. Fear can be ambiguous because it sometimes works and positive, can also be the focus, because it speeds up thinking, encourages ideas and enhances reactions essential for survival. Therefore, the feeling of fear should not suppress and deny it should be the expert guidance and exercise properly directed to the correct goal - survival.
Pain occurs as a result of physical stress, effort, injuries and wounds, and is a natural indicator that something is wrong. It's human nature to partially remove the pain by doing something that fully engages, both mentally and physically. In survival situations sensation of pain can be reduced by redirecting attention to the way out of the situation and solve the problem. If you are constantly thinking of the pain, abilities are limited, and the probability of survival declines drastically.

The cold is a greater threat than it seems at first glance, and this problem should be addressed seriously. In addition to reducing the ability to think, the cold adversely affect the morale and the will to survive, and human behavior in general. Next to it, hunger and thirst are the strongest opponents of the psyche because they cause disorientation, decline of morals and a sense of powerlessness. During prolonged lack of food and water comes to a low immune system that results in severe difficulties, disease, and ultimately death. In these situations it is impossible to avoid the fatigue that causes lack of concentration and caution, leading to a feeling of resignation.

Loneliness and boredom can lead to feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, however, it should be noted that they themselves do not pose any real threat but only a certain difficulty. In fact, anyone can survive alone, but when someone is close survival is easier. Boredom increases above experiences: nothing happens, there is a monotone, uncertainty and panic, pain is felt increasingly, loneliness is unbearable, there is a feeling of inability to cope with the new situation. It should be in time to prevent so to find something creative that fills the time, and at the same time benefit stay in the wild (eg. Making beds).

Accessories for survival

Survival kit that carries includes various trinkets and toys that stay in the wild make safer and more pleasant, and is determined by the weather and soil conditions for areas where planning movement. It is best if kit contains supplies for the operation in all conditions, but the kits are then usually larger and larger mass, so choose only what you really might need in a particular environment.

The knife is the most important piece of equipment that allows the processing and preparation of food, making shelter and tools, and also serves as a weapon. Funding for fires (lighter, matches, flint) and material Firewood and inciting fire (paper, feathers, dust, twigs, bark, resin, wool, cotton, wipes impregnated with alcohol) are essential, especially during the winter. Wax candles are useful because they keep the heat in the shade, and provide lasting light. Needle and thread come in handy in the repair and making clothing and footwear. Compass is essential in all military missions and so when survival. The mirror can be of great help in signaling or when there is a necessity to look behind cover without undue exposure. The wire is very useful when creating shelter, but also in the hunt, because it is made traps for animals. Accessories for medical supplies should be given the greatest attention, as well as prevention and treatment of wounds, because even minor injuries such as scratches due to infection can lead to serious complications. Sometimes in a survival kit can be found and various spices that enhance the taste of scarce prepared food in survival situations. Nylon bags have multiple values, and it is best if they are larger in size. Used for collecting water, heat and waterproofing shelters to protect equipment from the water when crossing bodies of water and as a makeshift raincoat.

Knife

A good knife is indispensable and perhaps the most important accessories in survival situations. With you should always have at least one blade, and preferably have a spare (folding) in the vest, pocket or a backpack. If you do not have it, we make it of handy materials that we encounter in nature such as stone, wood, bone, glass, metal, plastic, etc.

Knife to stay in the countryside must be tightly constructed thicker profile and made of a single piece. Commercial '' Rambo knives '' not a good choice to stay in the wild because they are usually of lower quality with a hollow handle that was often shot. The knife should always be sharp and it is necessary to check regularly that it is in place. It is only used for the purpose for which it is intended, therefore, it is impermissible to use it as a spear or for fun by driving into a tree in the country. The blade is used for cutting, trimming, making tools and supplies, etc. It can not be cut anything harder than wood.

A good knife is indispensable and perhaps the most important survival kit
In the wild, it is sometimes useful to have a machete and that is very versatile as a tool, but because of its size and mass tiring over long hike across. Contrary to popular belief, machetes are never used for clearing vegetation for the purpose of making times because it creates a lot of noise, reduces the audibility and leaves very visible traces.

Improv clothing and footwear

In case of lack of clothes and shoes can improvise and create a variety of handy materials such as jute bags, animal skins, woven fabric and the like. Improv raincoat is making so that a larger piece of material overlapped by half and then to make an opening for the head.

When used, it is necessary to wear a seat belt around your waist or a piece of rope to cloak its width would not restrict movement and that during movement does not falter for vegetation. Nipples (tails) are made of older presses, parts of nylon, resistant fabrics, jute and similar materials. They are very useful in wet and cold regions because they trap heat and help the clothes stay dry. As a material for thermal insulation which fills the clothing is used to dry grass and leaves, straw, moss, feathers of various birds, old newspapers, nylon bags, cotton, wool and animal skins.

Footwear can be made of rubber, tree bark, animal skins and similar materials. From old tires to cut off a piece the size of which corresponds to normal wear, covers the entire foot and attaches to the leg rope. Such improvised footwear because of its profile as a tire specially fits heavier soil types (rocks, mountains, ...). Backpack can be made of materials that are found in nature and we carry with us: stronger branches (of them are doing construction, so-called. A-frame), ropes for making straps (straps, sleeves, pant legs), flap, raincoat or storage bag and content protection.

Huts

Huts are extremely important in situations of survival, especially in winter periods. They protect against the weather and animals, but also of the opposing observations, and if you are planning made and of the firing of action. They have a favorable psychological effect, raise morale because they give a sense of security and increase the fighting spirit and the will to survive. Huts can be natural (caves, hollows in the rock, pit, trench), and can be manufactured from various materials (snags, logs, wooden logs and planks, rope, wire, their curtains and raincoats, camouflage nets, nylon bags, parachute, stones, snow blocks, nylon, canvas). It is best to take advantage of potential natural shelters that can modify the available material. What will be the shelter depends on the material and the time available, making an effort, and the requirements of the shelter.

A place that is chosen for making shelters determined by a number of factors. In peacetime and civilian survival situations aspiration is to comfort. Military units are taken into account and the tactical situation in relation to the opponent, and comfort them, then less important. In the case of floods and torrents of rain, snow or rockfall avalanche shelter will remain dry and safe if it is on an elevated position. Places in the valleys are colder, accumulate moisture and often freezing, and the stepped surface in areas with lots of rain and fog often prekrivenije of the inhabitants of the valley or on a hill. Huts must be near water sources because it is one of the preconditions of life, especially in situations of survival.

However, as much as preferable to the shelter near the water, it should not be too close to the source for the animals, especially insects. Also, the sound of murmuring water reduces the audibility, ie. Conceals other sounds that can warn of danger (animals, enemy patrols). It is essential that the cover above the line because water levels and dry river beds can be quite sprout during rainy periods. Huts also have to be away from animal dwellings and marking, and particularly to avoid bees, wasps, hornets and brood of snakes, scorpions, spiders and millipedes.

Members of the Australian army learn to prepare a meal from what they find in nature. Instructors their Australian natives, skilled survival in the harshest conditions
It is good if the shelter in a place that allows for clear signaling and use of the device for connection, and one of the most important rules is that the shelter must have hidden routes of entry and exit, which entrance is always masked (especially be careful of your own tracks and ugaženost grass around the shelter ). Valleys, dry riverbeds, etc. Are not suitable due to the accumulation of moisture and cold. Avoid places place individual trees because they are susceptible to lightning strikes. This is especially true for oak, while lightning rarely strikes the fir, spruce and pine, and almost never in beech.

Fire

Fire is essential for survival, especially in winter and in the mountains. When it comes to morality, it is the decisive factor that prevails in survival situations. It is used for heating, food preparation and boiling water, making tools and weapons, for signaling, for the protection of animals (especially of beasts and insects). To stay in the wild are recommended to wear lighter and vodotpornih match in the bag, but the fire may be made from at hand, which is easily found in nature. The fire still burns in a place protected from the wind, and if it does not makes the reflector that directs heat to the reservoir. It takes time, training and attempts to obtain a primitive method of fire without a lighter or match. To save gas and matches it is desirable to light a wax candle which still burns fire.

Most often it is not advisable to light an open flame (due to the proximity of opposing forces), so one can create a hidden fire small scale in the hollow trunk, under dense vegetation, in the country and the like.

Firelighters and inciting: paper, feathers, dust, twigs, bark (the best of birch), resin, wool, dry grass, dried moss, straw, cotton, gunpowder, cones, handkerchiefs soaked in alcohol, gunpowder, animal fat and excrement , seeds, fuel, cloth soaked with gasoline. Wood particularly suitable for Firewood: inner bark, sawdust, fir, oak, spruce, pine, birch, oak, olive trees and vines.
Magnifying lights fire during sunny days, used lenses of glasses, binoculars and rifle scopes, cameras, glass clock, etc. Commercial quartz are very good for creating sparks and burning fire, but if it does it can be improvised from ordinary rock and a metallic object (eg. the upper edge of the blade). Hitting rock metal object produces the spark that lights the material to light it. Friction hard rod on a piece of soft wood, a very large heat-generating grill. The underlying previously carve dimple in length, towards the end of the board to which it is pressed against the material to light it. If you put a little sand, powder or crushed coal into the recess friction will be stronger, resulting in a stronger spark and gaining rapid fire. Friction stick of wood can be accelerated with the help of port. The bow is made of flexible wood and rope (rope, cable ties with shoes). Hollow stone or piece of wood stiffer adheres to stick to all the time standing perpendicular to the surface, and it is pressed down. While spinning, stick a hole in a tree and produces a spark.

Water

In nature can never go without enough fresh water supplies. Just means at least for a day or two more than what we plan to spend in nature. Finding water is a priority during your stay in the wild because the man can survive three days without water.

Uvjiek should ensure sufficient supplies of drinking water
The average person loses two to three liters of water a day and at the lack of water should be reduced physical activity to a minimum, and run them during the day when the temperature is lower, at dusk and dawn. In summer at high temperatures is recommended to perform the work during the early morning, dusk and night, and during the day relax in the shade. To avoid severe stress, strong sun, lying on warm surfaces, smoking, alcohol, superfluous conversation, even when there is no food intake.

Water can be found in the recesses because the water naturally flows to the lowest point in the area (valley, channel, ditch, the bottom of the sinkhole). Water should look for and where the lush green vegetation (ferns, mosses), in holes in the rocks (especially in karts regions), in certain trees with high water content (cacti, bamboo), in dry riverbeds where digging usually lead to water, especially at the outer corners and gravel areas. Animals can serve as indicators of where they can find water.

Mammals, like most animals, always looking for water sources and predators are able to cross the hundreds of kilometers to find them. Birds are usually near some sort of water sources, and their linear and low flight means that they go to the watering hole. Birds of prey are not good indicators because they can not survive very long without water. Reptiles can not help us to identify where there is water for collecting dew and moisture of prey which catches. Bees fly up to 6 km from the hive to the water. Ants often in the column get water. The flies are kept at a hundred meters from some kind of source water.

Filtering water without boiling or disinfection chemicals is only partially purifying the water that can not be done completely harmless to health. The filter can be made from tin cans, plastic bags, cloth, socks, wooden barrels and the like. Water is filtered moss, pebbles, canvas, charcoal, additional payments and sand. Coal is prepared that is well Burned wood quenched with water, coal is washed with water from the ashes, chop it while still wet, and it was dry sieved to separate from impurities.

Water must be boiled for at least ten minutes in order to be usable for drinking. In this way, each treated water found in nature, as rainwater and water from ponds or depressions in the rock in karst areas, melting ice and snow, and the like.

Water disinfection chemicals is a very safe way to purify water from dubious sources without risks to health. Such devices are available in pharmacies and useful it is to have on hand.

Finding and collecting water in the field
The water can be collected and condensation of the branches so that the plastic bag pulled over branches with healthy leaves and firmly tighten it. Evaporation leaves will cause condensation and shrinkage of water at the bottom of the bag. Collection of water from the country is carried out by condensation from the excavated hole width of one meter and depth of half a meter. Container for collecting water put on the bottom of the hole. Cover the hole with nylon to form a cone with the top of the container, and screw the edge of the rocks and soil. Smaller stones put in the middle of nylon to form a cone with its weight. Evaporation of water from the land leads to condensation and shrinkage of water on the walls of nylon that by tilting go into the pan. This method is especially effective in the summer and warm climates. Although people sometimes were forced to drink their own urine to survive, that for health reasons is not recommended. Water can also get snowmelt.

In reading here and elsewhere on the Forum about preparing for an ice age, I recently came across an interesting article on Stefan Verstappen's website about a survival experience he had in Toronto, Canada during the summer of 2013. From the article - "On Monday July 8th a record 126 millimetres of rain fell on Toronto in just two hours. Around 4:30, just into rush hour, the sky turned black and a sudden deluge descended. Twenty minutes later the power went out throughout the city. A half hour later every major artery out of the city was flooded. The flooding combined with the lack of traffic lights ensured that traffic throughout the city came to a standstill." He goes on to write about how he survived the next few days and that his biggest oversight in preparing was not taking into account heatstroke during the summer if there is a power outage. Living in a northern country you would be primarily geared (as you should be) to finding means of generating heat. Even if there was only a few days of warm weather, with a power outage or no means to keep cool, heatstroke is a real possibility. Fwiw, I thought he made a good point. The full article can be seen here: http://www.chinastrategies.com/the-summer-shower-that-took-down-toronto/

Hello Bruce, I have found that to combat heatstroke it is necessary to cool the body down as quickly as possible.
The best way to do this is to get some cool water on a flannel and wet down the joints: ankles, knees, thighs, wrists, elbows, armpits, waist, neck, and the top of the head. Keep it up until your body temperature is back to normal.
If your apartment is hot, cool it down with a spritz of water on tiles and similar surfaces.
You can also use a fan if possible to blow air over a damp cloth /towel, to reduce air temperature, you can also fan your skin, manually if there is no power.

How about being prepared to die? Well, not exactly die, but to shuffle off the mortal coil?

Have the Cs said specifically that when the Wave hits, the physical 3D bodies of those who transition will simply vanish from 3D reality? What will the transition from physical to variable-physical reality entail? I recall images from the "Left Behind" series of books: some guy opens the door of a car and there's a pile of clothes and maybe some weird vapor and the body is gone. Never read any of them, but my understanding of the basis of those books...well it seemed like more than a little bit of wishful thinking. Some guy opens the door of a car and there's a pile of clothes and maybe some weird vapor and the body is gone. Does anyone have an impression of what transition will "look like" to those who don't make the grade? I suspect there will be physical evidence that looks like a dead body, perhaps with a subtle body no longer attached to it.

What do folks have in mind when the Wave comes? Well, what if that cometary bombardment lands on my head? No amount of supplies will help me then. Or how about that smoking chimney from the woodstove. Will it attract marauders intent on killing anything that might compete with them for resources? Seems like a distinct possibility. What then?

This is not saying that preparing for some sort of post-apocalyptic existence is worthless. I wonder, however, given that we are supposed to be learning to transition from 3D to 4D (STO or otherwise I suppose), what good does it do to focus all one's attention on preserving the 3D body?

I've read bunches of stories about yogis who consciously choose to leave their bodies at specific times, and let their close associates or disciples know in advance. Sometimes they even reclaim those bodies or perhaps inhabit another that is freshly vacant and still able to support a human soul. Do they know something about variable physicality? There is also the concept that, although one might not have developed the skill to manipulate physical form in such a way, at the time of physical death one can remain attentive and thus continue to evolve in consciousness outside the limitations of the physical form.

That kind of preparation seems at least as important to me. Not that surviving in physical form is a bad thing, if such is needed to learn more lessons, or maybe to fulfill karmic contracts that we may have with this world or those close to us. But if it's time for the physical body to go, whether by large, fast-moving space rocks landing in it, or by other means,

geOmO, as I have it, the cataclysm is going to happen first, with the Wave coming later - and apparently the Wave will happen to people at different times and under different conditions, so it makes sense to be prepared to survive physically as well, or one will suffer extreme difficulties. I will try and find the relevant quotes. The Work that we are doing, is probably meant for getting ready for the Wave. But we have to also prepare for the survival of the body. In the last Session, the C's said people should see to their skiing skills. So I take that as meaning we should not just sit down and willingly suffer, waiting for the Wave to save us, getting stuck in our houses and starving to death, but we should prepare to bodily survive the coming superweather conditions.

Ynna said:
geOmO, as I have it, the cataclysm is going to happen first, with the Wave coming later - and apparently the Wave will happen to people at different times and under different conditions, so it makes sense to be prepared to survive physically as well, or one will suffer extreme difficulties. I will try and find the relevant quotes. The Work that we are doing, is probably meant for getting ready for the Wave. But we have to also prepare for the survival of the body. In the last Session, the C's said people should see to their skiing skills. So I take that as meaning we should not just sit down and willingly suffer, waiting for the Wave to save us, getting stuck in our houses and starving to death, but we should prepare to bodily survive the coming superweather conditions.

I understand that it is pragmatic to plan for the worst. The question remains, who is prepared to die if such death comes before any anticipated Wave? I think that is one of the primary lessons of 3D which needs to be learned to transition to 4D - non-attachment to the body. By all means, prepare to take care of the body in whatever foreseeable circumstances arrive. But not everyone has the resources to survive a global cataclysm. What do those people do? Do they suffer anxiety and become paralyzed because they don't have what it takes to be a prepared? And as far as the cataclysm coming first, maybe that comet blows up over my city and I'm toast. It matters not then whether or not I've prepared for the aftermath in order to preserve the body for the coming Wave. I such a case, doing the Work also includes de-programming the body-oriented sense of self. To me, that kind of training is way more valuable for graduating to 4D from 3D, and with that kind of training, the only reason to preserve the body is as an STO effort to help those who need it.

ge0m0 said:
Ynna said:

I understand that it is pragmatic to plan for the worst. The question remains, who is prepared to die if such death comes before any anticipated Wave? I think that is one of the primary lessons of 3D which needs to be learned to transition to 4D - non-attachment to the body. By all means, prepare to take care of the body in whatever foreseeable circumstances arrive. But not everyone has the resources to survive a global cataclysm. What do those people do? Do they suffer anxiety and become paralyzed because they don't have what it takes to be a prepared? And as far as the cataclysm coming first, maybe that comet blows up over my city and I'm toast. It matters not then whether or not I've prepared for the aftermath in order to preserve the body for the coming Wave. I such a case, doing the Work also includes de-programming the body-oriented sense of self. To me, that kind of training is way more valuable for graduating to 4D from 3D, and with that kind of training, the only reason to preserve the body is as an STO effort to help those who need it.

Are interesting questions GeoMo, I do not know if having the right answers, I thought of my death several times, I'm not ready yet for my death is a fear that is still with me, I read some books about life after death , past lives, but even so, it is a difficult topic for me, in terms of preparation for disasters to come, if it's something I'm doing, the future is open, it could take a while before it reaches the wave, and the situation is getting more difficult to see, the physical body is the vehicle we have to move in this reality, hence the importance of their care, personally I would like to get to the "climax" of this film, in this way if I can be useful to someone else in the difficult times to come, and it was worth the effort consevar the physical body, and make the necessary preparation, the Cs mentioned that some people who are ready for graduation to 4d, pass with the same body and some others would die, after passing through 5d, reincarnated in the fourth, can be prepared for either possibility, remember reading a while ago, a thread about death, if anyone has access to this, could help more in this topic.

Back
Top Bottom