Small Meltdown at my house

So, we lost our 20 year old cat today, and I admit I am slightly emotional, but for some reason my thoughts started flowing and this is what came of it. I am disgusted by the lack of compassion and empathy and thoughtfulness that exists in Canada (where I am and can see for sure), as well as the other "first world countries" that I read about in the news on SOTT. This is what I wrote tonight. Feel free to point out erroneous thinking, etc. Just wanted to share with people who I know must be feeling some of the same things I am. I know it's slightly disjointed, but, it's how the thoughts flowed.

"I was just folding laundry and I just happened to glance down and see the headline on the front page of the latest issue of Alberta Farmer: “McDonald’s sustainable beef pilot moves into high gear; Fast-food giant has a long list of ‘indicators’ and is seeking producers ready to prove they’re good stewards” http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2015/03/02/mcdonalds-sustainable-beef-pilot-moves-into-high-gear/.
This got me thinking (probably because I was listening to a debate between Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party of Canada and Dr. Tim Ball, an environmentalist - his Curriculum Vitae can be found here:http://drtimball.com/_files/dr-tim-ball-CV.pdf and the debate can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ih2Wi8AAQ&rel=0) how strong consumer’s votes are. If people weren’t looking for responsibly raised meat (primarily beef at the moment), McDonald’s could just carry on its merry way producing disgusting semi-real versions of hamburgers. But, with the consumers demanding hormone free, sustainable beef, the industry is being forced (albeit reluctantly) to change its ways somewhat, because it is hurting their bottom line not to.
Now, I’m not going to ask that you understand how my thoughts run together, but, here is the train of thoughts I was having as they flowed:
Sustainable, responsible animal husbandry operations (i.e.; ranchers and farmers like my parents and my sister) who fence off their water sources and environmentally sensitive areas, responsibly graze their grasslands, and therefore protect the habitat of the wildlife that live on their property are so much more environmentally responsible and “green” than any farmer who clear cuts their land, plants thousands of acres of soybeans, corn, wheat, etc., etc., then uses Roundup in the spring and fall to grow food for the vegetarians and vegans who think that cows produce too much methane and waste to live on the planet. These farmers are anything but stewards of the land – no rabbits, insects, birds, or any other wildlife can thrive on their land because of the monoculture nature of their farming practices, let alone the chemicals that they spray on their land to kill bugs, weeds and then anything else that comes into contact with it. They degrade the soil, so that the crops themselves (grown with artificial, petro-chemical fertilizers to force growth when conditions would not otherwise allow) have far less nutrition than would normally be found in that crop.
Somehow the next train of thought was the human cost of our selfishness in “first world nations” – we want all our wants and “needs” supplied at the lowest possible price. Like chocolate for instance – cocoa beans are grown only in areas near the equator. When Central America stopped being a viable place to exploit cheap labour, the Chocolate companies moved the industry to Africa. In places like the Ivory Coast, where neighbouring Burkina Faso residents with very short life spans and few opportunities for work are lured as children and teenagers to come and work for the Cocoa farms. With promises of money to send home to help support their families, they are convinced they will get ahead on the farms. What is discovered is that they are disposable labour – they are unpaid, underfed and frequently die without ever seeing their families again. The chocolate companies like Cadbury and Hershey’s are well aware of this, but because the consumer is not demanding they change their practices, they do nothing about it (you can learn more about this by reading this book by Carol Off: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/727586.Bitter_Chocolate ).
What really drives me nuts about all this is that this whole “New Age” movement tries to say that we need to focus on positive and send love and light out to all these people who are doing harmful things. Well, has that helped? Really? It has not helped one iota. Things are only getting worse. You might run into more people at the supermarket who give off a good “vibe”, but are they changing things on the planet for the better? The short answer is “NO”. They are still shopping at Walmart – buying things made in sweat shops by people who can’t afford to feed their families on the wages they get, and buying Mars bars made on the backs of people who have never tasted chocolate and who are just as likely dead by the time you melt that chocolate on your tongue. So the people who are professing that they are bringing love and light into the world are actually technically bringing darkness to this planet by burying their heads in the sand and sending out good vibes."

Hi Meechel17,

Sorry about the loss of your cat. :hug2: It is never easy.

Yep, on your rant! That is the planet we live on.

Meechel17, that wasn't a melt-down, it was a wakening up! And very well said. I just published it on Sott as an article. If you like attribution let me know. That kind of informed rant about the state of the world is always welcome on Sott!

http://www.sott.net/article/294541-Sott-Exclusive-Sending-love-and-light-while-big-Agriculture-rapes-the-planet

Sorry to hear about your cat. :hug2:

Meechel17 said:
I know it's slightly disjointed, but, it's how the thoughts flowed.

It was all very well said, and fitting tribute to your cat to channel the emotions into something creative. I’m sure kitty would be very happy about that. :hug2:

I agree, Meechel17, very well said! And all of it true.

I, too, am sorry for the loss of your furry friend. :hug:

Meechel17 I empathize with you losing your furry friend, hold on to the fun and good times you both had together. You did a brilliant post - well said! I am looking forward to more of you sincere and important 'rants'! Not enough people care or are even aware out there...

Perceval said:
Meechel17, that wasn't a melt-down, it was a wakening up! And very well said. I just published it on Sott as an article. If you like attribution let me know. That kind of informed rant about the state of the world is always welcome on Sott!

http://www.sott.net/article/294541-Sott-Exclusive-Sending-love-and-light-while-big-Agriculture-rapes-the-planet

Sorry to hear about your cat. :hug2:

I am speechless- I never thought I would see anything of mine on SOTT. And thank you for the support :)

Hello Meechel17, I'm sorry for your loss, and you were right on the money, pun not intended!!, it is good to know all these tragedies that are part of this reality, so let's do our very best to get out alive.

Regards from California.. :)

Alada said:
Meechel17 said:

It was all very well said, and fitting tribute to your cat to channel the emotions into something creative. I’m sure kitty would be very happy about that. :hug2:

Ditto to that.

Gandalf said:
Alada said:
Meechel17 said:

Ditto to that.

Double-ditto. Meechel17, you should take a crack at writing something else for SOTT. Your thoughts are quite well articulated. :)

Very sorry also to hear about your cat. :( Hope things are ok. :hug2:

Hi Meechel17, Condolences on loosing your little friend :(

I agree with all you said, yes. The "meat issue" has been the focus of my world fairly intensely in the last week. Trying to buy meats to can for storage has brought the whole situation up front to consider again in a new way. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy factory raised meats, chicken and beef even though they are much cheaper. Very unappealing to think of eating this stuff knowing how they've been treated so horrifically with chemicals and living conditions. The conversation about Wal mart even came up in the last few days discussing the cheap crap we buy from the backs of slave labor and all the resources used and environmental damage created . The whole economy in which we live is being scrutinized again and closely with me right now so your post is timely.

It is good to hear that McDonalds is getting a clue with this and the "consumer" is having influence. It is true there is a lot of power involved with what we choose to purchase and what not to. I've seen lately the farmers/ranchers selling healthy foods raised in this thoughtful way are doing a booming business but it can be a bit pricey since its a rarity.

Jonathan said:
Gandalf said:
Alada said:
Meechel17 said:

Ditto to that.

Double-ditto. Meechel17, you should take a crack at writing something else for SOTT. Your thoughts are quite well articulated. :)

Very sorry also to hear about your cat. :( Hope things are ok. :hug2:

Triple-ditto here. Just another reason how anger can be channelled in a positive manner. Your rant energized me, prompting yet more awareness of this insane world we live in. I thought again of that free-range farming couple in NY who are fighting charges for mistreating their animals even though 2 Vets said otherwise…while horrific corporate CAFO's are left alone.

The book you referenced at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/727586.Bitter_Chocolate is a real eye-opener. It sits right next to Fast Food Nation and similar titles on my bookshelf.

And it's very sad to lose a cherished animal. 20 years is a long time for a kitty. Take care. :hug2:

Sorry for the loss of your cat. :hug2: And congratulations for the article. :perfect:

There is nothing we can do apart do what we can, at home, inside ourselves in small gestures that have a big sense. For example, since 6 months I make very attention to the waste of water. I recycle water in my own way: I use the water after cleaning the dishes to flush the toilets. And when I do the dishes I am very careful to waste water. Also, when I take a shower I keep the water from going in the drain for flushing the toilets or cleaning the floors with detergent. This seems ridiculous but not for me. I know that in Africa women and little girls have to walk every day more than 3 kilometers to go for water. Or more kilometers. Every day, every day in their lives while here we waste water. So you see this little gesture in my life is a big gesture for the planet but specially for my soul. It is my way to pray. There are other little gestures that we can do in this planet of crazy people. Of indifferent people, of egoistical and narcissistic people. We see the world as it is, as you see it, not a very nice world with all this mess because people are so centered in themselves.

Thanks for your article!

SummerLite said:
Hi Meechel17, Condolences on loosing your little friend :(

I agree with all you said, yes. The "meat issue" has been the focus of my world fairly intensely in the last week. Trying to buy meats to can for storage has brought the whole situation up front to consider again in a new way. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy factory raised meats, chicken and beef even though they are much cheaper. Very unappealing to think of eating this stuff knowing how they've been treated so horrifically with chemicals and living conditions. The conversation about Wal mart even came up in the last few days discussing the cheap crap we buy from the backs of slave labor and all the resources used and environmental damage created . The whole economy in which we live is being scrutinized again and closely with me right now so your post is timely.

It is good to hear that McDonalds is getting a clue with this and the "consumer" is having influence. It is true there is a lot of power involved with what we choose to purchase and what not to. I've seen lately the farmers/ranchers selling healthy foods raised in this thoughtful way are doing a booming business but it can be a bit pricey since its a rarity.

Summerlite, I don't know where you are situated, but what I do here is buy "in bulk" - I buy a half of beef from my parents every fall, and I buy a whole pig from a farmer not too far away. I buy whole chickens from a pastured operations if I don't raise enough of my own. Then I cure and smoke my own bacon, ham hocks, render the lard, make pork rinds, etc. I try not to waste anything. If I can't eat it, the dogs do. It ends up being pretty affordable when you look at the price per pound compared to the amount you would pay for meat at the grocery store. The only thing is you have to have the freezer space and the cash to pay for it all at once. I just searched at local farmer's markets until I found people producing the kind of ethically raised, grass/forage fed meats that I was looking for, and were willing to sell larger amounts so I could save money.

I can't quote every reply here - but thank you all here for the amazing feedback and support!! I love this widespread community of ours!! It is so nice to talk to people who think about what is happening here on our planet and what our impact could be if we just cared enough to try. Many of you have offered more food for thought - Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so glad not to be alone out here...

Back
Top Bottom