Is your PC a part of botnet?

sToRmR1dR

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
It came from my Facebook profile 14 hours ago.

http://blog.kaspersky.com/simda-botnet-check/

Hi there! I'm wondering if people here are running the free scan( listed at the bottom of the notification page) from this site to detect bots or just clicking on the check your computer button/IP address. I am bot free according to my IP address location however to make sure they recommend their special scan. It looks like a trustworthy site however I didn't run this scan being cautious.

Hi SummerLite,

No, I didn't make use of their free scan offer but since you asked I went to their linked webpage to check things out.

Turns out to be a free scanner in beta-stage of development which you have to install first on your own computer. Therefore, it's not a direct scan via the webpage itself.

Since this device is still in beta-stage, you probably would do them a favor by installing and using it for a while as that would enable them to gather user data from an increasing number of potential new clients/customers. They surely will advertise their paid-for products once you have submitted your data to their cloud for further analysis.

Furthermore, it's just a scanner. For removing any threat you would have to use your own already existing security programs or download their free virus removal tool (exe, 128 MB) and so on. That one only removes existing threats but offers no continuous and preemptive protection -- but their paid-for security suite does that. Enfin, you get their drift I suppose.

Personally, I never download or use beta-stage products of any kind. I prefer to always wait until any product has been fully developed into a marketable stage and then first see if I can find some reviews of unbiased and independent professional writers about it and/or consult computer-savvy acquaintances before I eventually decide whether to use it.

One final note: Kaspersky is a renowned trade mark in the security business with a solid reputation AFAIK so I don't have any suspicions about safety issues while using any product of theirs.

Hope this helps you out. :)

One general remark to finish this off: the botnet check offered, only checks for the Simda botnet infection and nothing else. That's why I cautioned the remark in my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom