AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES CAUSED BY AN INFECTION?

Thank you Gaby, very useful! :)

In my country they revoke your license if you prescribe AB for anything other than what is advised according to guidelines, but there is a growing awareness about these matters.

Thanks, Gaby, for the paper.

A couple of things that caught my attention:

- combination of abx seems one of the better options, but "...controlled clinical trials are lacking in persistent, recurrent and refractory Lyme disease. Combination therapy in patients with Lyme disease raises the risk of adverse events."

- "Persistent Lyme disease is more resistant to treatment and more likely to produce a relapse |...] Despite previous antibiotic treatment, Lyme disease has a propensity for relapse and requires careful follow-up for years."

- " The ideal approach would be to continue therapy for Lyme disease until Lyme Spirochete is eradicated"

Wait a minute, didn't the guy who proved that chronic Lyme exists, do that with showing how the B.b. takes shelter under biofilms? From what I've read, most bacteria are very intelligent (not stupid, as it is commonly claimed), and e.g. B.b. will very quickly morph into cysts and biofilms when it "notices" that spirochetes are being threatened. The Lyme infection is in many cases probably not even close to being over, after the spirochetes are eradicated. That would, in my understanding, only be the case with "early Lyme". I've read many chronic Lyme case stories, and the common theme seems to be that despite long term abx therapy the darn thing keeps coming back (that's why people try things like "Rife machines" etc). And as the authors in the paper note, there's no sure way to tell when to stop taking the abx. This paper strengthens my impression, that some piece of the puzzle is missing in treating these kind of infections.

A solution might be, as the herbalist researcher Harrod Buhner (see below) points out, to combine natural remedies with the abx. Natural substances (supplements, herbs etc) are different from abx in, that they often have several combating properties (whereas an antibiotic has only one - which the critters quickly "assimilate") AND combining them will give synergistic effects, the sum being more than the parts. Buhner is not against abx, but makes it quite clear that abx alone are not enough.

I just finished reading Harrod Buhner's book called
"Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections: Complementary and Holistic Treatments for Bartonella and Mycoplasma"
I HIGHLY recommend reading this, and it would probably be good to read his other books, too (seems to be many).

LINK (Kindle): http://amzn.com/B00CWD7W2C

I've also just started reading another book by him called
"Herbal Antibiotics, 2nd Edition: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-resistant Bacteria".
The Kindle edition is only 2.99$,
Link: http://amzn.com/B008JE5K6S

Buhner seems to be highly knowledgeable, and some parts of the book are VERY technical (esp. the first two chapters about mycoplasma), but you can skip those if you want to. On the bright side, this indicates that he knows his stuff, how the critters operate, what they do, and what are their weak points. There's just too much information to try and write here, but a couple of things that are important to mention, IMO:

Bacteria had to evolve resistance. If not, due to their crucial role in the ecological functioning of this planet (and our own bodies), all life, including the human species, would already have been killed off by those very same antibiotics. [...] As fewer and fewer wild animal populations are available as hosts for the bacterial diseases that once were (mostly) limited to those populations, the bacteria have no choice; they have to jump species – they have to find new hosts. [...] many of the bacteria are now learning to live in human beings

[...] various bacteria are teaching each other how to resist antibiotics and how to more easily infect people... [...] They do this, usually, through sharing segments of DNA that have within them resistance and virulence information. {when a new bacteria enters the body, the old ones, already inside, teach the newbies all their neat evading tricks!}

While antibiotics do still have a role, sometimes a very important one, they can no longer be relied on to provide the sole response to these kinds of diseases. We have to approach treatment with a more sophisticated eye. There are two important aspects to this. The first is realizing that single-treatment approaches, most of which were developed out of an inaccurate 19th and early 20th century bacterial paradigm and are based on identifying the bacterial pathogen involved and killing it, i.e., monotherapy, are going to have to be abandoned as the primary method of treating these kinds of diseases. The second is coming to understand just what the bacteria do in the body and then designing a treatment protocol that is specific in counteracting what the organisms do – exactly.

One of the better articles on this [coinfection dynamics] is "Transmission consequences of coinfection: Cytokines writ large" by Andrea Graham et al. (2007). The author propose a unique approach to understanding the dynamics of coinfections. Instead of focusing on the organisms themselves, they suggest focusing on the cytokine cascades that the organisms produce in the body [cytokine signatures]. [...] Each type of infectious bacteria initiates a particular kind of cytokine cascade... [...] It is these cytokines, in fact, that create most of the symptoms that people experience when they are ill. [...] Bartonella species, like many infectious bacteria, utilize the immune system of whatever mammal they infect as part of their infection strategy. They essentially use our own body's response to them to promote their agenda. [...] In other word, the bacteria use the inflammatory process already occurring in the body (e.g. if you have preexisting arthritis) to facilitate successful infection.

This is a crucial point. The impact of multiple coinfectious organisms is NOT additive. They are synergistic. They create effects that are more than the sum of the parts. [...] most physicians don't really understand bacterial organisms very well, nor how to treat them. They tend to look in their textbooks (or drug company brochures) for a pharmaceutical that is active for the bacteria in question and apply it, a fairly superficial approach that is increasingly failing in practice. If they have not definitively identified the bacterial cause of the condition they will generally prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic that will, as often as it helps, do more harm than good.

When approaching the treatment of coinfections, the approach should be based with rigor of analysis. [...] The most important thing in treating coinfections is to reduce the inflammatory processes the bacteria initiate, basically by counteracting the cytokine cascade they initiate. That stops pretty much all the symptoms right there especially if treatment protocols are also begun that are designed to protect the areas of the body that are affected. And again, the immune system must be strengthened. [...] The bacteria can't survive if they are not able to initiate their particular form of inflammation in the body; it is how they make habitat and scavenge food. If you enhance the immune function along with this, the body is then able to deal with the infection on its own. The addition of protocols to reduce acute symptoms and help restore quality of life are also very helpful.

Antibacterials can help but comprehensive treatment protocols must be more complex than that simple, monotherapeutic approach. Relying on a "kill the invaders" approach is becoming increasingly ineffective. [...] The bacteria are evolving. We should, too.

The seven thing to keep in mind [in the chapter of mycoplasma]

1. Replace the nutrients that are scavenged by the mycoplasmas. This must be done to avoid nutrient depletion in the body and the problems it can cause. Note: this will not "feed" the mycoplasmas. They are doing just fine feeding themselves – from your body's own tissues. Supplementation keeps your body from experiencing nutrient depletion as they do so. Cruciallly: all research has found that replacing scavenged nutrients is essential to restore normal cellular organism functioning.

To reiterate: A number of websites that discuss the treatment of mycoplasmas insist that such thing as arginine and fatty acids should not be taken in the diet as these "feed the bacteria." Again, this will only result in a worsening of the illness – the mycoplasmas need these substances and they are going to get them from your body one way or another; they are very good at doing so.

2. Reduce the cytokine cascade that the bacteria initiate. [...] since the mycoplasmas use the cytokine cascade to break down tissues to acquire nutrients, this will begin to starve them, reducing their numbers.

3. Use specific antibacterials to kill the mycoplasmal organisms or at least severely restrict their numbers. Herbs, supplements, and antibiotics are all useful and highly synergistic for this. Note: unless, specifically noted otherwise, antibiotics can be used along with all the herbs and supplements in this book.

4. Support and protect the organs and systems that the mycoplasmas affect. This will also relieve many mycoplasmal symptoms.

5. Enhance immune function. The stronger the immune system, the less severe the course of the disease.

6. Adress specific symptoms not addressed otherwise. This will reduce the symptom picture and increase the quality of life.

7. The most elegant interventions will act in three or more of these categories. That is, if you find an herb that a) replace nutrients b) reduces cytokine cascade c) protects specific organ systems, and d) enhance immune function or is antibacterial or addresses specific symptoms (or every one of those things) – that is what an elegant intervention looks like.

It is important to keep in mind that mycoplasma infections, especially of long duration, are first and foremost nutrient deficiency diseases.

Then the book goes on with how to do this, but there's so much information that it's best for you to read it yourself. Besides, I'm already breaking copyright laws by quoting this much (i think)!

However, I'm in the process of making an Excel-sheet with the various herbs and supplements, and what they do. But this will take some time to be finished. This list could perhaps, in addition of getting knowledgeable about these things (by reading these books), be useful.

Thanks for the paper, Gaby. I downloaded and saved it. I'll take a closer look at it a little later. And thanks for the two kindle links for the books, Aragorn. I'll buy those and get started, then maybe I'll look at buying some of his other books.

I think a well planned out, multi-pronged approach is the way to tackle these issues and learn as much about what's going on in the body as possible. I also keep thinking about the versatile adaptivity of microbes and the pleomorphic theory. It seems that proper signals and environment is paramount to get healthy, because once these things go awry, besides the chance of reinfection, there's the problem of the microbes taking over systems' proper communication and functioning that becomes like chasing a moving target. I think going after and killing the microbes works better in early infection, and becomes harder and harder to deal with as time goes on and problems progress.

SeekinTruth said:
I think a well planned out, multi-pronged approach is the way to tackle these issues and learn as much about what's going on in the body as possible. I also keep thinking about the versatile adaptivity of microbes and the pleomorphic theory. It seems that proper signals and environment is paramount to get healthy, because once these things go awry, besides the chance of reinfection, there's the problem of the microbes taking over systems' proper communication and functioning that becomes like chasing a moving target. I think going after and killing the microbes works better in early infection, and becomes harder and harder to deal with as time goes on and problems progress.

Yes, we have to keep this in mind.

Richard Horowitz was one of the panel members of the paper "Evidence-based guidelines for the management of Lyme disease" from 2004. Much has happened ever since and I just started reading "Why can't I get better" by Horowitz which synthesizes his life's work and whatever happened to those patients with chronic persistent infections. It is hopeful!

It has to be kept in mind that despite the difficulty in treating these "parasites" and all the promising research of what can be tried or not, a multi-approach was not necessarily tried by lots of folks: ketogenic diet, FIR sauna, detox and immune booster supplements and remedies, and so forth. Antibiotics were tried at lower doses and shorter periods of times as well.

Yeah, I saw that Richard Horowitz was on the panel. I read the paper and think it has some good data to have on hand. Since it was written, there has been lots more info accumulated about biofilms, cyst stages, etc.

I bought the two Harrod Buhner books and started reading the Herbal Antibiotics. So far, it's pretty good. Can't wait to get more into the meat of it.

SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, I saw that Richard Horowitz was on the panel. I read the paper and think it has some good data to have on hand. Since it was written, there has been lots more info accumulated about biofilms, cyst stages, etc.

I bought the two Harrod Buhner books and started reading the Herbal Antibiotics. So far, it's pretty good. Can't wait to get more into the meat of it.

Okay, I have studied the first 100 pages or so of "Why Can't I Get Better?" by Horowitz. It is the best reading when you have ongoing Herx reactions :P

In a sense, it is bad enough. In another sense, it is not so bad at all!! Knowledge protects!

It seems to me our approach so far, is on track. Just reading through his clinical cases is very instructive. Some of his patients undergo through several years treatments that have been researched in this forum: adrenal fatigue, heavy metal detox, elimination diet, keto diet, meditation, body work and so forth.

He does rely heavily on diagnostic tools and tests which are typical of the North American school. I don't deny that it would be nice to have those tests from all patients, but as a general rule, those tests are for "wealthy" people (mostly in the U.S.) who have access to highly specialized labs. For me it doesn't make much sense to chase down a particular species or strain when there are many which are not even classified yet. It could be useful to guide a particular treatment protocol, but the trial treatment and see what happens works much the same.

One thing that caught my attention is that after treating thousands of patients with borrelia and other intracellular species (the whole garden variety!), he has not seen any antibiotic resistance. That speaks volumes considering that it is one of the guys with most experience in Lyme's disease and related co-infections in the world. An antibiotic won't work because of underlying imbalances such as adrenal fatigue or because the antibiotic does not address the culprit "parasite".

He does have biofilm problems, but nothing that is impossible to address.

A few notes here (not necessarily the main points of the book, which are very well covered in the videos):

- Mycoplasma also causes migratory muscle and joint pain. So one doesn't necessarily have borrelia (Lyme's disease) if that happens.
- Any patient with Multiple Sclerosis needs to rule out Lyme disease, co-infections such as chlamydia pneumonia and Mycoplasma, and heavy metals as possible causes for their illness.
- POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is an increasingly described condition which people with co-infections may have. It is an autonomic nervous system dysfunction and typically, you get dizzy when you stand up.
- Neuropsychiatric problems can be seen in up to 10% of people wtih B12 levels between 200 and 400, which are still considered on range by most labs.
- Taking B vitamins is important to reduce the neuropathic effects of metronidazol (mind, it is a rare side effect), but also the nerve damage caused by these bugs. Methylated options are best depending on your methylation problems and/or if standard B vitamins don't work.
- Many people who don't respond to antibiotics need to check or treat adrenal fatigue, insomnia and heavy metal toxicity.
- Everybody is different and chronic persistent infections exacerbate previously existing medical problems. This might be influenced by genetic code, unique bio-individuality, co-infections, present immune status, environmental toxin load, detox ability, underlying psychological status, etc.
- Virtually every psychiatric diagnosis can be caused or worsened by borrealia and co-infections.
- He introduces the word MSIDS: multiple systemic infectious disease syndrome. MSIDS is a symptom complex of Lyme disease and multiple associated infections which comprises borrelia, bacterial infections, viral infections, parasitic infections, fungal infections. It also includes: immune dysfunction, inflammation, environmental toxicity, allergies, nutritional and enzyme deficiencies, functional medicine abnormalities in biochemical pathways, mitochondrial dysfunction, neuropsychological issues, autonomic nervous system dysfunction, endocrine abnormalities, sleep disorders, gastrointestinal abnormalities, abnormal liver function tests, issues with pain and drug use (intolerance to OH or pharmaceutical drugs), and physical deconditioning (lack of exercise is bad, specially if you have chronic fatigue. You really have to drag yourself out and do a workout).
- If the antibiotics are not working, it is essential to check or treat adrenal fatigue. He sees improvement once adrenal fatigue is addressed. If the adrenals are okay, usually it is some sort of deficiency or heavy metal toxicity.
- He says that treatment protocols (which other than antibiotics might include heavy metal detox, herbs, supplying for mineral or vitamin deficiencies, etc ), are not harmful. That the benefit is outweighed by any possible risk. Keep in mind that his patients consulted on average of 20 doctors (!!) before coming to him.
- There are different forms (already discussed in this thread) that these bugs take to evade the immune system: cell wall (i.e. the corkscrew shape of borrelia), cystic (AKA S-forms, L-forms, wall deficient), and intracellular locations. Also biofilms.
- Doxycycline will primarily treat intracellular forms (and is also useful for multiple intracellular co-infections).
- Metronidazol will primarily treat cyst forms.
- Grapefruit seed extract is effective against cyst forms as well.
- People have strong Herx reactions with anti-cyst antibiotics (metronidazol), so it is better to pulse it, i.e. a couple days a week.
- The use of cystic drugs helps to lower the bacterial load of borrelia in the body.
- Saccharomyces boulardii helps prevent antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
- Borrelia biofilm colonies have been found in various parts of the body, including the skin.
- Doxycycline, as well as natural enzymes such as nattokinase, lumbrokinase, and serrapeptase have all been shown to affect borrelia biofilms, decreasing their formation.
- He reports: We have not seen antibiotic resistance clinically in our practice. For me that is more important than any claim here and there on a paper or lab which doesn't necessarily translate clinical practice.
- He does a lot for his patients to spare them Herx reactions.
- Lack of Herx reactions is not necessarily indicative of treatment failure. If the patient improves, that is a good sign.
- He gives 50mg of vitamin B6 three times per day to palliate peripheral neuropathy seen in Lyme's but also because Flagyl (metronidazol) has been associated with a peripheral neuropathy (painful nerve involvement in peripheral extremities. It is rare, but it has been reported).
- His experience with metronidazol is astonishing. People who didn't respond to doxy or standard antibiotics such as cephalosporins or amoxicillin for the cell wall forms, responded to metro (the parasites were in cystic form, hiding from the immune system).
- Herx reactions are usually more severe with metro.
- Herx reactions: increased fever, muscle and joint pain, headaches, cognitive impairment, general worsening of the patient's underlying symptomatology.
- Glutathione palliates Herx reactions: NAC and alpha lipoic acid orally, if you don't have glutathione IV. There is also liposomal gluthathione.
- There are several herbal protocols that have been proved useful and described in the book. For instance, Artemisia, neem, liposomal artemisinin, cryptolepis. He would typically leave a patient with herbal remedies as maintenance after the person healed with antibiotics.

So far, so good.

Thanks, Gaby. Yeah, it sounds like we're on the right track.

Many of those herbs Klinghardt mentions (and that he uses in his Lyme-protocol) are the same as Buhner recommends. I think he even mentioned Buhner in some paper I read.

In Herbal Antibiotics, Buhner explains why he hasn't included grapefruit seed extract as a remedy in the book. He has no doubt, that the grapefruit plant Citrus paradisi is effective against a wide variety of organisms. However, he says that nearly all commercial GSE products contain synthetic disinfectants such as benzethonium or benzalkonium salts. Rleated article: "Survey of synthetic disinfectants in grapefruit seed extract and its compounded products" (Sugimoto etl al). In other words, the natural compounds of GSE are good, but most products contain a lot of synthetic stuff, hence it's not a herbal medicine and not so effective. So I guess, for best results, one should carefully choose a good GSE product, that has as little c*ap in it as possible ;)

Just a little addition that I forgot to include in the previous post. Buhner has a website, where you can find his herbal 'core protocols' for e.g. Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, and Candida. He kindly answers many questions people have, and the Q:s & A:s can be found on the pages. Lots of other information, too.

See here: _http://buhnerhealinglyme.com

Thanks Gaby and Aragorn - going to take a look at Buhner's book, too (downloaded).

Just to add something, was, and still am looking into resins from trees that help ward off bacteria and viruses. Came across this site _http://www.rain-tree.com/sangre.htm and this particulate tree bark resin called (by its many names): Sangre de grado, sangre de drago, dragon’s blood, drago, sangue de drago, sangue de agua.

The sap/resin is from South America - Peru, Ecuador, and Colombia and seems to have interesting properties:

Sangre de grado resin and bark are used in traditional medicine in South America today in much the same manner as indigenous ones. In Peruvian herbal medicine it is recommended for hemorrhaging, as an antiseptic vaginal douche and, topically, for healing wounds. It is also used internally for ulcers in the mouth, throat, intestines and stomach; as an antiviral for upper respiratory viruses, stomach viruses and HIV; internally and externally for cancer and, topically, for skin disorders, insect bites and stings. In Brazilian traditional medicine the sap currently is used for wounds, hemorrhaging, diarrhea, mouth ulcers, and as a general tonic.

Sangre de grado resin or sap is a storehouse of phytochemicals including proanthocyanidins (antioxidants), simple phenols, diterpenes, phytosterols, and biologically active alkaloids and lignans Scientists have attributed many of the biologically active properties of the sap (especially its wound-healing capacity) to two main "active" constituents: an alkaloid named taspine, and a lignan named dimethylcedrusine.

Of course, botanists, herbalists, and naturopaths would disagree with such reductionist conclusions (and often do); in this particular case, the matter is actually proven by science. Noted author and ex-USDA economic botanist Dr. James Duke summed this up eloquently, saying, "I like the comments on dragon's blood, and would add one further note: in addition to the proanthocyanadins (including Pycnogenol) and taspine, there's another active ingredient - dimethylcedrusine. While each of these alone - dimethylcedrusine, Pycnogenol and taspine - was shown to effectively heal wounded rats (with squares of skin exfoliated, i.e., peeled off) by European scientists, the whole dragon's blood was shown to speed healing four times faster. The whole was better than the sum of its parts. Synergy makes the whole herb stronger; diversity makes the rainforest stronger."

The taspine alkaloid from sangre de grado was first documented with anti-inflammatory actions in 1979. In 1985 taspine was documented with anti-inflammatory, antitumorous (against sarcomas), and antiviral actions.

The main plant chemicals in sangre de grado include: alpha-calacorene, alpha-copaene, alpha-pinene, alpha-thujene, beta-caryophyllene, beta-elemene, beta-pinene, betaine, bincatriol, borneol, calamenene, camphene, catechins, cedrucine, crolechinic acid, cuparophenol, D-limonene, daucosterol, dihydrobenzofuran, dimethylcedrusine, dipentene, eugenol, euparophenol, gallocatechin, gamma-terpinene, gamma-terpineol, hardwickiic acid, isoboldine, korberin A & B, lignin, linalool, magnoflorine, methylthymol, myrcene, norisoboldine, p-cymene, proanthocyanidins, procyanidins, resin, tannin, taspine, terpinen-4-ol, and vanillin.

The wound-healing action of sangre de grado resin was first related to the taspine alkaloid in 1989. Several later studies also concentrated on the wound-healing and antitumorous properties of taspine. The lignan dimethylcedrusine was isolated by scientists in 1993 and was shown to play a central role in sangre de grado's effective wound-healing action. This Belgian study revealed that the crude resin stimulated contraction of wounds, helped in the formation of a crust/scab at the wound site, regenerated skin more rapidly, and assisted in the formation of new collagen. This was the study to which Dr. Duke referred in documenting that the crude resin was found to be four times more effective at wound healing and collagen formation than its isolated chemicals (and healed wounds 10-20 times faster than using nothing at all).

The Belgian scientists also determined that taspine was active against herpes virus in this study. In 1994 other phytochemicals were found, including phenolic compounds, proanthocyanadins, and diterpenes, which showed potent antibacterial activity (against E. coli and Bacillus subtilis) as well as wound-healing properties. Another study documented sangre de grado's antioxidant effects and researchers in Canada documented its antifungal properties. Another important traditional use of the sap was verified by clinical research in a 2000 study designed to evaluate its gastrointestinal effects. Researchers concluded that "Sangre de grado is a potent, cost-effective treatment for gastrointestinal ulcers and distress via antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and sensory afferent-dependent actions." In 2002, these same researchers reported that sangre de grado evidenced an in vitro effect against stomach cancer and colon cancer cells as well. In 2003 Italian researchers reported that the resin inhibited the growth of a human myelogenous leukemia cell line and also prevented cells from mutating in test tube studies.

Extracts of sangre de grado have demonstrated antiviral activity against influenza, parainfluenza, herpes simplex viruses I and II, and hepatitis A and B. The antiviral and anti-diarrhea properties of sangre de grado have come to the attention of the pharmaceutical industry over the last 10 years. A U.S.-based pharmaceutical company has filed patents on three pharmaceutical preparations that contain antiviral constituents and novel chemicals (a group of plant flavonoids they've named SP-303), extracted from the bark and resin of sangre de grado. Their patented drugs include an oral product for the treatment of respiratory viral infections, a topical antiviral product for the treatment of herpes, and an oral product for the treatment of persistent diarrhea. These products have been the subject of various human clinical trials. Although the immunomodulating effects of sangre de grado have not been the subject of targeted research yet, some researchers believe that the anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant activities may provide nonspecific immune enhancement effects as well.

More recently, several scientific tests have been conducted on a proprietary sangre de grado product (made into a skin balm) which was also based on traditional uses. They reported that in pest control workers, a sangre de grado balm was preferred over placebo, for the relief of itching, pain, discomfort, swelling, and redness in response to wasps, fire ants, mosquitoes, bees, cuts, abrasions, and allergic plant reactions (poison ivy and others). Subjects reported relief within minutes, and that it provided pain relief and alleviated symptoms (itching and swelling) for up to six hours. These reported effects in humans as well as several other tests they conducted in animals and in vitro models of inflammation led them to conclude that sangre de grado prevents pain sensation by blocking the activation of nerve fibers that relay pain signals to the brain (therefore functioning as a broad-acting pain killer) as well as blocks the tissue response to a chemical released by nerves that promotes inflammation.

[...]

Properties/Actions Documented by Research:
anesthetic, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antidysenteric, antifungal, antihemorrhagic (reduces bleeding), antileukemic, antioxidant, antiseptic, antitumorous, antiviral, neurasthenic (reduces nerve pain), wound healer

Other Properties/Actions Documented by Traditional Use:
analgesic (pain-reliever), anticancerous, anti-itch, antiulcerous, astringent, blood cleanser

The above text has been printed from The Healing Power of Rainforest Herbs by Leslie Taylor

Reference Quotes on Sangre de Grado

Article: South American tree sap is a pain killer, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic, Natural Science May 15, 2000:
"Dr. John Wallace of the University of Calgary's Faculty of Medicine predicts that every medicine cabinet and first aid kit in North America will one day be stocked with medicines containing the sap of the South American tree Croton lechleri.

[...]

Third-Party Published Research on Sangre de Grado

All available third-party research on sangre de grado can be found at PubMed. A partial listing of the third-party published research on sangre de grado is shown below:{it is a substantial list}

Some notes from the next 100 pages or so of "Why Can't I Get Better?" by Horowitz.

- People who are allergic to tetracyclines (doxycycline) can use rifampicin instead.

- Bartonella doesn't manifest as the usual textbook case. People with a Bartonella co-infection can have new episodes of seizures, eye problems, stretch marks on the abdomen, flanks, thighs, breasts and upper shoulders. There can be red crescents-shaped lesions in the back of the throat and pain in the soles of the feet. Patients will have an atypical manifestation of Lyme disease, would fail classical courses of antibiotics and would have resistant neurological symptoms such as headaches, severe cognitive dysfunction, radiculitis, myelitis, vasculitis. There could be unusual eye problems such as inflammation of the retina, vision loss, branch retinal artery occlusion, conjunctivitis, enlarged lymph nodes in front of the ears and so forth. There can be painful red nodules (erythema nodosum), arthritis, osteolytic lesions, swollen lymph nodes. A quinolone such as cipro is usually needed on top of a higher dose of doxy. Two drugs are better than one, especially where intracellular bugs are concerned.

- Mycoplasma should be considered in those with autoimmune manifestations. It affects B cells which then are overstimulated, promoting autoimmune reactions and rheumatoid diseases. It increases cytokines (IL 1,2 and 6). Mycoplasma may be a chronic persistent infection.

- The major histocompatibility complex (MHC) are genes and gene products that have a strong association with certain diseases, especially autoimmune. MHC molecules, located on the surface of the cells, help the immune system differentiate between its own cells and that of invaders. These surface molecules resemble, in part, the molecules of invasive pathogens like mycoplasma, and under certain circumstances the immune system gets confused and attacks itself, the classic autoimmune response.

- People who are HLA (a marker of the MHC) DR 4 positive, have particularly strong autoimmune reactions when they are coinfected with mycoplasma. Mycoplasma and borrelia should be suspected in any atypical autoimmune disorder.

-Chlamydia is associated with arthritis in multiple joints. The combination of heavy metals with intracellular bacteria such as chlamydia contributes to severe arthritis. Highlights the importance of detoxing heavy metals with DMSA and/or EDTA.

- Rickettsial infections: R. typhi (typhus), coxiella burnetti (Q fever), R. rickettsii (Rocky Mountain spotted fever AKA RMSF). Doxycycline works best for these co-infections. Produces flu-like symptoms. The classical red spotted petechial rash on the palms and soles of feet are only present in 50-80% of cases in RMSF.

- Q fever gives non specific symptoms and 50%, no signs of acute illness at all. It can give chronic endocarditis up to 20 years after the initial infection. It can give pneumonia like symptoms, hepatitis with nausea and vomiting, etc. in the acute stage. It is transmitted by cattle, sheep and goats, infected milk and meat products, unpasteurized goat milk.

- Tick borne relapsing fever: Borrelia hermsii and borrelia miyamotoi.

- B. hermsii is transmitted by soft-bodied ticks whose bites are painless and most people are unaware they were bitten. Is found in the whole world, though endemic in Colorado, California, Pacific Northwest, Central America, parts of South America, Asia and most of Africa. These damn bugs can survive for 20 years without feeding and may remain infectious for up to 10 years. Symptoms come and go: flu like symptoms, fatigue, neck stiffness, neurological complications, neuropsychiatric disturbances and so forth. Brain may serve as a reservoir for borrelia. Borrelia miyamotoi has been described in Russia, Western Europe, and the U.S.

-Tick paralysis caused by 400 different tick species. It causes viral-like illness, followed by a neurotoxic phase and paralysis. So if the tick is not removed, the person might die from respiratory paralysis and complications. Prompt tick removal causes full neurological recovery within two days. Anecdotally, Sidney Baker described a case in Detoxification and Healing. He found the tick in the ear canal of the child.

- Tularemia should be suspected in those working or exposed to rabbits (i.e. chefs, hunters) It can also be gotten by a bite of a deerfly or by exposure to contaminated rabbit meat. Classical presentation: ulcers on the skin or conjunctivitis with enlarged lymph nodes. Other symptoms include a viral-type illness.

- Brucellosis. Transmitted by ticks, infected animal tissue or milk products, through skin wounds during contact with freshly killed animal tissues. It causes sweats, chills, weakness, swollen lymph nodes and it is also a great imitator as it can cause multiple pulmonary infections, infection of the bones, urinary tract infections, optic neuritis, encephalitis, endocarditis. He quotes Garth Nicolson, who reports that 10% of CFS patients, especially those living in rural places, have Brucella infections. When it co-exists with Mycoplasma, then things get really bad.

- They have found that the herbal regimen Samento and Banderol is effective in treating Lyme.

- He has found that 30 days of treatment is adequate in up to 80% of cases in determining whether or not the patient will respond to a specific regimen of antibiotics. Therefore, he considers rotating the regimen after one month if a particular treatment does not appear to be working. The only exception would be severe Herx reactions with a specific therapy.

- Babesia: Found in the US, Europe, Asia. His clinical experience differs widely from textbook cases. He sees people with psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, mood swings, severe emotional issues that do not seem proportionate to their present situation or history of trauma. They have unexplained cough and/or shortness of breath. They can have malaria-like symptoms: night sweats, chills. By 2001 the prevalence was 5%, today it is up to 41% in some areas. It can exist in a chronic asymptomatic carrier state in domestic and wild animals for many years. Babesia is genetically similar to Toxoplasmosis. Artemisin (herb), curcumin, heparin, Beta blockers, cryptolepis, stephania root, etc. seems to work against babesia for the same reasons they are helpful in malaria. Strong antibiotics and antimalarials are required.

- Viral infections. HHV-6 (Human herpes virus 6) is a possible co-factor in ADD, autism spectrum disorder, multiple sclerosis, CFS, fibromyalgia. If there are elevated titers of HHV6 in blood and a sudden onset of flu-like, then taking anti-viral drugs such as Famciclovir and others does seem to help. For the rest of the diseases and/or conditions, anti-virals have not worked in his clinical practice. That is why he doesn't recommend them anymore.

- He reports: Since standard anti-viral drugs are either expensive, have potentially serious side effects, or are ineffective, we look to integrative therapies for viable treatment options. For example: colostrum derivates, olive leaf extract, mushroom derivatives (3-6 beta-glucan).

- A word on nystatin and fungal infections mirrors what has been discussed in this forum. He reminds people that Saccharomyces boulardii decreases the incidence of Clostridium difficile diarrhea.

- He also mentions Morgellon's disease which responds to the same antibiotic protocols for Lyme and co-infections.

- To be continued.

Having read further into Herbal Antibiotics by Buhner, it's quite impressive - very well researched and documented (considering the relative lack of herbal research compared to pharmaceutical research). I'm inclined to agree with him and many well informed herbalists that it's a big mistake to take the "reductionist" route and focus on "active ingredients" in herbal medicine - throwing out the much greater potential of the many synergies in plant/herbal medicines by using whole plant substances and herb combinations known for their synergies.

I'm also trying to catch up with SOTT articles that caught my attention with the headlines, and reading one or two each morning that relate to this thread. This morning I read the following:

http://www.sott.net/article/300541-Leaves-of-European-chestnut-tree-can-disarm-staph-bacteria-without-boosting-drug-resistance

which has some points in relation to Buhner's approach to herbal medicine, but also some of the pitfalls he is adamant to avoid (understandable as the training, and especially research funding make the chase for single compounds/"active ingredients" the run-of-the-mill).

Buhner also mentions in the book that Asia, Africa, and Latin America have basically turned their back on the American/European paradigm of health care and left the "West" behind in having cost-effective and very effective all-around herbal medical approaches to solve their countries' health problems. He pretty much says that a "new world" has emerged since he wrote the first edition because of these developments, and the West is pretty much oblivious to the advances in other parts of the world for well designed and open minded research into herbal medicine.

Thanks for the summary, Gaby. I've always said, it is the things you can't see that potentially cause the most harm. And the more I learn, the more it seems to be so true.

Between 2003 and 2005, I had three tick bites (all on my head) and each time, I took a full 30 day course of antibiotics. So in retrospect, that was probably a good move!

SeekinTruth said:
Having read further into Herbal Antibiotics by Buhner, it's quite impressive - very well researched and documented (considering the relative lack of herbal research compared to pharmaceutical research).

Here is what Horowitz reports on Buhner:

[Stephen Buhner] suggested using Samento in combination with other herbs, such as Andrographis, Polygonum (Japanese knotweed/resveratrol), Stephania root, and Smilax (sarsaparilla) in patients with Lyme disease. [...] We find that we are able to use these herbs alone, or in combination, with patients both on and off antibiotics to help improve resistant symptomatology. For example, some patients with severe Herxheimer reactions have taken Smilax in combination with other herbs, i.e. Greenwood Herbal's Herxheimer formula, and found it to be effective, especially when alkalizing and using oral glutatione have inadequately controlled their symptoms. Green Dragon Botanicals in Vermont is another well-known source for these herbs. We have found them to be safe, but just as with classic medications, they are contraindicated under certain conditions (pregnancy, active gallbladder disease) and can have side effects, such as gastrointestinal upset, allergic reactions, or changing drug levels in the body.

Lilou said:
Thanks for the summary, Gaby. I've always said, it is the things you can't see that potentially cause the most harm. And the more I learn, the more it seems to be so true.

Between 2003 and 2005, I had three tick bites (all on my head) and each time, I took a full 30 day course of antibiotics. So in retrospect, that was probably a good move!

Yeah, it seems that treating ASAP is the key for tick-borne infections.

Continuing with the notes:

- People who have autoimmune diseases and are treated with cortisone, will see an exacerbation of active infections
such as Lyme and other co-infections.

- He summarizes his experience as follows:
* You may have an autoimmune disease and not know it.
* You or your patient may have an autoimmune disease and know it.
* You may not have an autoimmune disease, but Lyme disease and/or co-infections are mimicking it.
* You have both an autoimmune disease and Lyme disease that, in combination with multiple factors on the MSIDS (multiple systemic infectious disease syndrome) model, are contributing to making the autoimmune disease symptoms worse.

- The shed DNA particles form the surface of Borrelia are known as blebs and intracellular blebs convert host cells into targets of the immune system.

- Blebs can cause an overstimulated immune system to produce the antibodies that mimic lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

- He quotes Garth Nicolson: Nicolson and colleagues found that patients with chronic bacterial and viral infections have several mechanisms for autoimmune responses, which include: molecular mimicry; the release of cell membrane vesicles containing bacterial surface antigens; and intracellular bacteria that cause cell death when bacteria and cell fragments are released itno the surrounding environement, causing inflammation.

- Borrelia kills lymphocytes called B cells and when Borrelia exits the lymphocyte it surrounds itself with lymphocytic proteins, cloaking itself from the immune system.

- Many patients with RA, lupus, multiple sclerosis may not, in fact, have a "true" autoimmune disease. Instead, they may have an immune system overstimulated by Lyme and Mycoplasma and other intracellular co-infections, and exacerbated by exposure to heavy metals and environmental toxins, which further drive inflammation and cytokine production.

- Trained pathologists were unable to see any differences under the microscope between Lyme disease and autoimmune conditions in a study.

- Lupus and Lyme disease have similar immunology and pathology (i.e. complement pathway deficiencies, antibodies such as antiphospholipid and anticardiolipin, butterfly rash on face).

- The literature has reported that multiple sclerosis is most likely caused by an infection with Borrelia Burgdorferi, the agent of Lyme disease. These are the five reasons for this hypothesis:

1) Spirochetes have been documented in MS pathology specimens.
2) Spirochetal flagellin (the tail of Borrelia that allow it to move through the body) is immunologically very similar to human myelin.
3) The demyelination process in MS and Lyme is also similar, they both can cause inflammation in the eye and in the spinal cord.
4) Spinal tab is similar: increased protein synthesis with IgG antibodies, lymphocytic pleocytosis (increased lymphocytes in the spinal fluid), increased protein, increased plasma cells, and oligoclonal bands.
5) Cystic structures of Lyme disease in the central nervous system of patients with MS have been found. Perhaps certain environmental factors (i.e. low vitamin D) or co-infections with other organisms, such as Chlamydia, are responsible for Borrelia coming out of hiding and reactivating cysts, driving demyelination and MS-type symptoms in certain patients.

- The genes expressed as HLA DR2 and 4, as well as the HLA B 27 chromosomal markers can predispose certain patients to develop an autoimmune disease. Lyme disease patients with HLA DR4 have more severe autoimmune rheumatological manifestations.

- Chlamydia pneumonia is also linked with multiple sclerosis.

- He describes a case report with someone who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and got better only under Lyme disease treatment. She had subjective fevers, irregular menses, mood swings, weakness in lower extremities and a blood test from 2004 revealed elevated liver enzymes. Her pain was migratory which is characteristic of Lyme disease. He reports never seeing migratory joint pain in any patients with "true" RA, lupus, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.

- He usually tests blood analysis every 6 weeks in those under strong anti-microbial treatments (including antibiotics and anti-malarials).

- To be continued.

Gaby said:
- To be continued.

-Chronic inflammation: the major cells involved in this process are immune cells called "mononuclear cells", and they include monocytes, macrophages, lymphocytes, plasma cells, and fibroblasts. These cells produce inflammatory chemicals at the site of the injury known as cytokines, such as interferon gamma, TNF-alpha, interleukin 1 and 6 (IL-1, IL-6), as well as various growth factors and enzymes. Without proper treatment these cells and their inflammatory products can cause inflammation that lasts for months or years.

- Persistent inflammation can be due to multiple etiologies on the MSIDS map, especially chronic bacterial, viral, parasitic, and fungal infections, as well as the type of autoimmune reactions.

- There is a switch inside the nucleus of the cells called NF-KappaB. When free radicals and inflammatory molecules are present in the cell, they turn on the switch of NFKappaB, leading to production of more of these inflammatory cytokines - IFN gamma, IL 1, IL 6, TNF alpha - causing a phenomenon known as sickness syndrome.

- Sickness syndrome: a good example is someone who comes down with the flu. There is fever, fatigue, joint and muscle aches, nausea, mood changes, feeling foggy, wanting to stay in bed and sleep for long periods of time. It is a protective mechanism that is the result of the production of cytokines (IL1 and 6, etc). The same cytokines occur in Rheumatoid Arthritis, fibromyalgia, CFS, Alzheimer's disease, Lyme disease. It forces the individual to stay out of harm's way at a time when the body's resources are needed to fight off the infection. Sickness syndrome is related to major depression, pain syndromes, sleep disorders, anxiety, heart failure, etc. Lyme disease patients have a lot of sickness syndrome. There is a dramatic increase of cytokine production and inflammatory molecules in the body. The dramatic example is the Herxheimer reaction. The killing of bugs causes a sudden release of these cytokines, leading to a dramatic increase in symptoms.

- Many symptoms in common in CFS, multiple chemical sensitivity, fibromyalgia, PTSD, and persistent Lyme disease are due to this cytokine overproduction.

- To decrease Herx reactions and these inflammatory pathways: Not only treat the underlying cause ("parasites"), but also remove environmental toxins (i.e. mercury) and give supplements such as CoQ10, B vitamins, ALA, magnesium, zinc, omega 3s, NAC.

- Fully mitigating the harmful effects of these free radicals and oxidant by-products requires simultaneously treating the three Is - infection, immune issues, and inflammation - and supporting detox pathways, balancing hormones, and addressing nutritional deficiencies, food allergies, sleep disorders, while eliminating environmental triggers such as heavy metals.

-Inflammation and the brain: Amyloids are proteins that aggregate and change the structure of cells, damaging them. They are found in diabetes, RA, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc. It is just one of several neurotoxins that are produced by inflammation. Microglia (cells in the brain that are the first line of immune defense in the central nervous system) are activated by beta amyloid (plaques found in Alzheimer's) and cytokines, activated microglia in turn release more cytokines leading to:

1) Enhancement of glutamate-induced excitotoxicity.
2) Inhibition of brain plasticity.
3) Inhibition of creation of new neurons.

- Borrelia are so powerful that they can cause a much stronger inflammatory response than common bacteria that produce cytokines such as E. Coli, one that is fifty to five hundred times stronger. All "parasites" in general trigger a lot of inflammation, releasing cytokines and affecting several tissues.

- Zinc deficiency can lead to increased levels of inflammatory cytokines. Zinc supplements in those who are deficient leads to less infections.

- Chronic sleep restriction also leads to elevations of IL-6 and pain.

- C reactive protein (CRP in blood tests) is an indirect marker of elevated levels of interleukin 6.

- Patients with severe Herx reactions and/or who don't get well with antibiotics, usually are deficient in detox pathways. They can get better with ALA, NAC, liposomal glutathione. That helps to decrease the inflammation.

- Mercury can act as an hapten on the outside of the cell. An hapten is a small molecule that can trigger an immune response only when attached to a larger carrier such as a protein, on the outside of the cell. Some haptens trigger autoimmune diseases. Mercury also increases susceptibility to infections. It is important to do DMSA or EDTA detox protocols.

- The HPA (hypothalamus, pituitary adrenal axis) is specially affected by inflammation and in Lyme disease and fibromyalgia. Cytokines can affect hormones positively or negatively. In some Lyme and FM patients, cortisol production increases but it becomes ineffective due to cortisol resistance, and the result is increased inflammation.

- If we focus on decreasing the production of inflammatory molecules while increasing the functioning of the biochemical pathways in the liver that help with detoxification (i.e. with ALA, NAC, Coq10) , many patients will experience a significant benefit.

- Other supplements to decrease inflammation: curcumin, broccoli seed extract (sulforpaphane), NAC, ALA, liposomal glutathione, green tea (EGCG). They act on specific pathways which helps enhance detox and reduce inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom