Examples of black and white thinking

MusicMan said:
Hello luc, talking about black and white being a problem, in my opinion the outcome should be balance. Check out my avatar for an example.
In my home I have a cupboard with black ornaments on one side and white ones on the other.
Once again, balance. Colour is somewhere in between.
All there is, is lessons.

Hello MusicMan, yes, I think balance is the key, it seems that the universe is structured that way, though it's hard sometimes to "nail it down" what balance means in a specific situation. What I think is good practice is to catch yourself when forming an opinion before voicing it, and - just as an exercise - assume you're wrong. You can then balance your initial opinion with the assumption that you're wrong and see where it leads you, see what colors you can discover.

That being said, I think it's important to remember that the devil is always in the details, and this applies to the question of black and white thinking as well. Meaning: Just because many of us tend to think in black and white too much, this doesn't mean that black and white don't exist. Not saying that you were implying this, MusicMan, but I think it's important to remember that "balance" doesn't mean the truth is always in the middle. A psychopath is a psychopath, and a lie is a lie, and we're perfectly right to acknowledge this. The trouble begins when the "black and white" is not in the outside world, but in our heads - kind of like a black and white filter put on our eyes. In that state, I think we unconsciously associate everything we don't like with black and everything we like with white and completely distort our perception of reality.

Too many grey areas in our lives, that's the problem.
I know that seems to be the way that I think, kind of like the 'white knight', that for every question there has to be an answer. Must be a program running there.
So even the fact that something is a lie, is in itself a truth, must be recognised paradoxically.

The greater the contrast, the easier things are to see, or believe.

luc said:
MusicMan said:
Hello luc, talking about black and white being a problem, in my opinion the outcome should be balance. Check out my avatar for an example.
In my home I have a cupboard with black ornaments on one side and white ones on the other.
Once again, balance. Colour is somewhere in between.
All there is, is lessons.

Hello MusicMan, yes, I think balance is the key, it seems that the universe is structured that way, though it's hard sometimes to "nail it down" what balance means in a specific situation. What I think is good practice is to catch yourself when forming an opinion before voicing it, and - just as an exercise - assume you're wrong. You can then balance your initial opinion with the assumption that you're wrong and see where it leads you, see what colors you can discover.

That being said, I think it's important to remember that the devil is always in the details, and this applies to the question of black and white thinking as well. Meaning: Just because many of us tend to think in black and white too much, this doesn't mean that black and white don't exist. Not saying that you were implying this, MusicMan, but I think it's important to remember that "balance" doesn't mean the truth is always in the middle. A psychopath is a psychopath, and a lie is a lie, and we're perfectly right to acknowledge this. The trouble begins when the "black and white" is not in the outside world, but in our heads - kind of like a black and white filter put on our eyes. In that state, I think we unconsciously associate everything we don't like with black and everything we like with white and completely distort our perception of reality.

Very well put luc.

luc said:
Thanks everyone for the responses. It seems that this particular form of "splitting" - forming two worlds in our head, forum and outside world, and then projecting all sorts of things on them - is not uncommon. I found your comment very interesting and on point, lux:

lux said:
It created feeling in me that I am more soulful because I distinguish many important and sublime ideas, knowledge, books ("first world" - Cassiopaea) and keep myself in the reserve to the ("second" - 'real') world, trying not to mix these two worlds, afraid of losing the first at the expense of the second, daily, external.

I broke it in some point and came to the conclusion, that important is to synthesize these two worlds, there is no difference between them, it is only in my head.

The end result was that I started to grow not only intellectually, but also in terms of emotions and behavior. And wicket to deeper understanding became open.

Yes, I've experienced something similar, and I think at some point these two worlds should merge - which I think is only possible when we apply the knowledge and principles we learn to our lives, to the "outside world". That way we increase our being and can begin to really understand the principles we learned, and develop trust in these principles and our ability to apply them. It means taking responsibility and risks, to leave the harbor and begin the adventure.

Yes, the use of knowledge is important part of it, but I also mean a change in consciousness. C's said that if someone will want to ignore or turn off some worlds, then those world will cease to exist for him.

Red Star said:
This leads us to think in the futility of judging others, because, they are not good or bad, they have only more or less knowledge.

Hello Red Star, I'm not so sure how good or bad has to do with the amount of knowledge, I think at this point it is important to note, that acquiring knowledge must go hand in hand with the development of being, otherwise, the acquired knowledge could, not be used, and at this point would enter the guidance that the person has, STS vs STO. :)

How this topic got my interest, I just did a more searching for answers through the forum and recomended links and books, and I came to this two sources from where I am reading right now about relation with people thorough this 2 principles:

strategic enclosure - http://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Strategic_enclosure

external consideration - http://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=External_vs._internal_considering&stable=1

from there links just took me all over the interesting subjects that gives many answers to our common concerns, I hope will be helpful.

and for every day activities in the line with the Work, I just bought kindle book:

"Life Is Religion: 12 Daily Exercises for Mind, Body, and Soul"
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Is-Religion-Daily-Exercises/dp/1897244894

and I am almost finished - excellent guide!

those writings just so clearly explained so many ??? we posted here.

I think that once one starts working on themselves and incorporating all the concepts they read about, from Gurdjieff, Castaneda, and others, black and white thinking just slowly becomes a thing of the past. Questioning everything, especially our own thoughts, helps a lot. This make me think about the law of three Gurdjieff talks about in In search of the miraculous. Everything is dependent upon its specific situation.
Black and white thinking seems to involve a lot of assumption, which we slowly realize when we begin to question our own thinking. These are just some things I've observed in myself in my own work.

riclapaz said:
Red Star said:
This leads us to think in the futility of judging others, because, they are not good or bad, they have only more or less knowledge.

Hello Red Star, I'm not so sure how good or bad has to do with the amount of knowledge, I think at this point it is important to note, that acquiring knowledge must go hand in hand with the development of being, otherwise, the acquired knowledge could, not be used, and at this point would enter the guidance that the person has, STS vs STO. :)

There is no good, nor bad. These are relative terms. For example: I need to eat. For me is "good" to kill the pig and eat its meat. But that, from the point of view of the pig, is "bad".

The same thing happens with the Lizard beings and us. They need our energy so they eat us. For they is "good", for us is "bad".

The same thing happens with psychopaths. They want something and many times, in order to obtain it, they make us feel pain. And, since a psychopath doesn't have empathy, they don't care and they think it's fine.

So everyone has its goals and, according with its role, everyone acts as its own nature drives it. I was referring to this concept in relation to what luc said:

And I want to consider someone "asleep" just because he disagrees with me on something?

If we think carefully, the Universe is a playfield and everyone has its function and goals but, in the end, if we think we are all the same and we will be in union in 7th density, we can understand that these different roles are a necessity in order to experience this kind of reality and, more important, in order to learn. That is the reason because I said: "This leads us to think in the futility of judging others". Because these others with different goals are providing variety in this playfield which help us in our learning cycle.

And if we take in cosideration what the Cassiopaeans said:

1994-12-17:

A: We are not creator any more than you are. We are all creator!

It makes perfect sense that, when we find other people that disagrees with us, or when we experience things we think are "bad" or undesired, since we are all the creator and we have created this Universe in order to learn, we can think these things are being put in our lifes to give us the chance to learn.

If the Universe is like a school, and we know that the teacher gives the pupil the lesson it needs according to its learning necessities, we can deduce that what we find in our lifes is the result of our inner learning necessities.

For example: I'm selfish and I need to learn to share, so I born rich and I find in my life opportunities to share with others. But if I don't learn, the Universe can give me another chance, I can born very poor in order to make me understand the necessity of sharing with others.

Other example: I need to learn how to protect myself from dangerous people, so I meet a lot of people who hurt me.

etc.

Comming back to "good" and "bad", I think good is what brings you closer to your goals and "bad" is what takes you away from your goals. Since everyone has different goals these are terms relative to the point of view of the observer.

Regarding STS and STO, this is simple:

For me, STO is what brings me closer to 7th density and STS is what takes my away from 7th density. Since 7th density is the common goal of all beings, these paths or behaviours are not so relative and can be more easily recognized and applied using the same concepts by all the sentient beings.

Please, excuse me if I have not explained myself correctly, I'm not an English-native speaker.

Hi Red Star, thanks for the explanation, could be a confusion because I do not speak English, I use google translator, I ask patience please.

Red Star said:
riclapaz said:
Red Star said:

There is no good, nor bad. These are relative terms. For example: I need to eat. For me is "good" to kill the pig and eat its meat. But that, from the point of view of the pig, is "bad".

The same thing happens with the Lizard beings and us. They need our energy so they eat us. For they is "good", for us is "bad".

The same thing happens with psychopaths. They want something and many times, in order to obtain it, they make us feel pain. And, since a psychopath doesn't have empathy, they don't care and they think it's fine.

So everyone has its goals and, according with its role, everyone acts as its own nature drives it. I was referring to this concept in relation to what luc said:

I think my confusion lies in the word "knowledge", is an infinite term, perhaps being more specific, it could be that you talking the level of learning of souls, ie lessons learned, I'm right? :/

Given this scenario, you might think that some people are ignorant, even lacking learn more lessons, and not judge them to be "good" or "bad"

riclapaz said:
Given this scenario, you might think that some people are ignorant, even lacking learn more lessons, and not judge them to be "good" or "bad"

Yes. :)

I read the following short article today and thought to add it here.

It is from here;

__http://storylineblog.com/2014/06/26/the-problem-with-black-and-white-thinking/

Generally speaking, you are either a Republican or Democrat, a Calvinist or Arminian, you either believe we are shaped by nature or nurture, you either like Neil Diamond or you don’t, and even as you read this, you either agree with the statements I just made or you disagree. We think Fox News is brainwashing or truth-telling, we are Democratic or Marxists, evolutionists or creationists. There is either right or wrong, good or bad, beautiful or profane, right?

Such thinking wouldn’t make it through the door of an undergraduate course in logic, yet it’s commonplace in our arguments.

And it’s a problem.

Black-and-white, either-or thinking polarizes people and stunts progressive thought.

Moreover, we begin to believe whatever thought camp we subscribe to is morally good and the other morally bad, thus demonizing a threatening position, further stunting our ability to think and find truth. Instead, we are armed with ammo from the twenty-four hour news cycle that helps us defend our identities rather than search for truth.

There are places where this sort of thinking doesn’t prevail, however. I remember hanging out at Reed College back in the day and wondering how odd it was that people’s identities weren’t attached to their ideas. In fact, ideas weren’t even their ideas anymore than artifacts found in an archeological dig belonged to their finder.

So how did we become so polarized?

It’s true that humans have a need to categorize their thoughts in order to make sense of the world. And yet few of us would realize our categories are largely utilitarian, based loosely in fact and largely in fantasy. Austin Cline suggests that when we fall victim to black-and-white thinking, we reduce an endless spectrum of possibilities to the two most extreme positions, saying, in short, that home is either north or south, when home may indeed be southeast or northwest, or in some cases, both, depending on the necessary route.

Black-and-white thinking is attractive because it’s reductionistic; it simplifies everything so we don’t really have to comprehend. It allows us to feel intelligent without understanding, and once we are intelligent, we feel superior. People who don’t agree with us are just dumb.

What about you? Do you think in black and white?

Here are a few ways I’ve had to train myself to not think in black and white.

1. Disengage your ego from your ideas. Our ideas aren’t really ours; they are just ideas. They may be true ideas, which makes them important, but they aren’t our true ideas, and people should have the free will to either agree with them or not. It is very difficult to be honest with ourselves about whether our egos are involved, but it’s the territory of a better thinker.

2. Understand there is much you don’t understand. We begin to think in black and white when we assume we know everything. But this is an illogical assumption. Those who think in black and white and defend their camps will have a hard time engaging new and valuable information because they have already built their home halfway across the desert.

3. Walk away from black and white conversations. When the conversation becomes about defending one’s identity, it’s time to politely move on. If the conversation is calm, and nobody is defending his or her ego, you’d be amazed at what information unfolds in the discussion.

4. Choose your words carefully. Use phrases such as: At this point, I’ve come to believe, or, I’ll never stop learning, but I’m attracted to the idea that… Some will read these statements as weak, but I see these as strong and humble statements. When you make statements like this, your listener hears that you are objective and have sought truth. You are, as such, thought of as more trustworthy, and your argument is given more weight.

I’ll never stop learning, but at this point I’ve come to believe black-and-white thinking isn’t the best way to engage ideas.

It should also be noted, I do believe some things are black and white.

Murdering an innocent person, for instance, is always wrong. Killing somebody, however, is not always wrong. Some actions are right or wrong depending on context. This would be considered a gray area. If you’d like to read more about this, I suggest checking out G.K. Chesterton’s Orthodoxy. Chesterton asserts that mathematicians go mad, not poets, because mathematicians try to build a bridge across the infinite, and poets simply swim in the sea.

[..]

This last part about "mathematicians" going mad obviously shouldn't be taken literally, as in, all mathematicians go mad, but that a mind that attempts to divide and categorize everything in existence into compartments isn't being accepting of the colorfulness of reality. Whereas "poets" simply swim in the sea.

And this is a quote which is along the same lines from G. K. Chesterton which he refers to in the article:

The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits.

I'll have to read more from Chesterton though before it's possible to decide what to make of him.

Edit: typo

Back
Top Bottom