Tomorrowland (2015)

kalibex

Dagobah Resident
I've got this suspicion that we'll see some interesting metaphors in this movie that's opening this coming weekend (May 22) in the US. I wonder if one of those will be... the concept of 'breakaway civilization'...

Well, finally saw it today, so still in the process of analyzing the effect it had on me.

Our popular media includes a mix of STS & STO 'memes', and Tomorrowland is certainly no exception.

{Minor Plot Spoilers Follow}
While Tomorrowland does indeed consist of a meritocracy of 'dreamers' who have been recruited to live in a breakaway civilization in a nearby 'dimension', the initial appeal of the place seems to be mostly due to its emphasis on inventions/technology (cue the flying cars & rockets). An especially optimistic young protagonist discovers this civilization when she is recruited by a rebellious faction to help revivify a moribund Tomorrowland, which as it turns out is having a negative 'psychic' sort of effect upon our civilization, one which may soon prove to be our reality's Doom. :scared: Being a Hollywood movie, naturally there had to be a bit of a run-around along the way, with appropriately creepy henchpeople menacing our protagonists.

In no particular order, I noticed the following memes:

Tesla, Edison et al discovered/knew a lot of weird stuff, much of which we plebes have never been told
Neighboring 'Dimensions' (Hey, they weren't going to call them Layers or Frequencies)
Neighboring Dimensions having a negative effect on our present reality / including - affecting our views & attitudes about the future
Technologically opening/closing portals to other dimensions
Being invited to a breakaway civilization/other reality - if you're forward-thinking / clever enough
People considering themselves to be Superior to us looking down on us for... being negatively affected by their... psychic interference :rolleyes:

Anything else really stand out to those of you who've seen it?

Greetings,

I've seen the movie twice and read the prequel novel, "Before Tomorrowland" and seen Disney's online viral marketing materials. Taken as a whole, and given the huge investment of money & creative effort, it's hard to view it as just another throwaway piece of pop culture. I think of it as both propaganda to whitewash the Breakaway Civilization (so as to recruit new talent) and to trivialize real-world conspiracy by converting it into entertainment. That second function may be why certain movies & TV shows (Marvel's, esp.) are allowed to become hugely popular -- apart from the old "Revelation of the Method".

I had briefly entertained the idea that the "other dimension" was alluding to the Astral plane -- where "anything is possible". But I reckon that might be even more way-out than inter-dimensional travel and matter transference in the early 20th C. The prequel is set in 1939, and suggests the technology was further advanced back then than anyone suspected.

The film was a failure at the box office (lost over $100 million), but looking at the total package, I think Disney got exactly what it wanted.

Welcome to the Forum, Basistarossam :)

Since this is your first is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc

Baristarossa said:
Greetings,

I've seen the movie twice and read the prequel novel, "Before Tomorrowland" and seen Disney's online viral marketing materials. Taken as a whole, and given the huge investment of money & creative effort, it's hard to view it as just another throwaway piece of pop culture. I think of it as both propaganda to whitewash the Breakaway Civilization (so as to recruit new talent) and to trivialize real-world conspiracy by converting it into entertainment. That second function may be why certain movies & TV shows (Marvel's, esp.) are allowed to become hugely popular -- apart from the old "Revelation of the Method".

I had briefly entertained the idea that the "other dimension" was alluding to the Astral plane -- where "anything is possible". But I reckon that might be even more way-out than inter-dimensional travel and matter transference in the early 20th C. The prequel is set in 1939, and suggests the technology was further advanced back then than anyone suspected.

The film was a failure at the box office (lost over $100 million), but looking at the total package, I think Disney got exactly what it wanted.

Interesting analysis Red Barman. Welcome to the forum! :D

Grazie mille, Perceval,

I've been learning a bit more about Disney & its viral marketing campaign for the film. It has an esp. cunning aspect: a fictitious expose of a fictitious conspiracy. I know Christian fundies love to dump on Disney for its "Illuminati mind-control" and alleged satanism -- ironically, their version of liberation from that is yet another control system. Still, this website could make one go, "Hmm."

http://www.stopplusultra.com/how-do-we-know/

Consider the effort & expense that went into just this site. Imagine a similar stunt applied to real life, as psychological warfare. Re the video with the spinning record, you might want to look away when it plays. Was it made deliberately hypnotic? (Hmm, indeed!)

Ciao,
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom