Lyme Disease Sufferer claims bee venom cured her

kalibex

Dagobah Resident
Ellie is the first to admit that her tale sounds a little tall. “If someone were to have come to me and say, ‘Hey, I’ll sting you with some bees, and you’ll get better’, I would have said, ‘Absolutely not! You’re crazy in your head!’” But she has no doubts now.

After the attack, Ellie watched the clock, waiting for anaphylaxis to set in, but it didn’t. Instead, three hours later, her body was racked with pains. A scientist by education before Lyme took its toll, Ellie thinks that these weren’t a part of an allergic response, but instead indicated a Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction – her body was being flooded with toxins from dying bacteria. The same kind of thing can happen when a person is cured from a bad case of syphilis. A theory is that certain bacterial species go down swinging, releasing nasty compounds that cause fever, rash and other symptoms.

For three days, she was in pain. Then, she wasn’t.

“I had been living in this… I call it a brown-out because it’s like you’re walking around in a half-coma all the time with the inflammation of your brain from the Lyme. My brain just came right out of that fog. I thought: I can actually think clearly for the first time in years.”

http://txchnologist.com/post/119532536250/how-a-bee-sting-saved-my-life-poison-as-medicine

Hi Kalibex.

I've had the bee venom advocates try to convince me, several times, that this therapy will cure MS. (Which I've had since 2000.)

The problem? I have a life threatening allergy to bee venom. I carry epi pens at all times in summer. I have never, in over 40 years, experienced positive results when stung by bees, wasps or hornets, before or after diagnosis with MS.

I have, in fact, come close to death more than once from being stung. If its effective for a few people? Great.

For the majority? I think dietary changes, detoxing, and support of the bodies natural healing abilities is better. Allergic shock happens fast. Too fast to justify the risk of this kind of 'therapy'.

FWIW. ;)

Well, if you don't have Lyme disease, this story will be less relevant to you. But I would imagine that you might be interested in any reports of attempts to understand the effective elements of bee venom, as specific isolated proteins might be safer to use where the whole venom would not.

One interesting part the story above was that the woman mentioned in the story was very allergic. She fully expected to die - but not only did not, but seemed mostly relieved of her Lyme disease. Obviously she was a super-lucky n=1 case study, but case studies like that one are the type of random happenstance that can inspire researchers (like the one mentioned in the article) to start figuring out what actually happened - which protein/proteins helped kill the bacteria.

Early days though it is yet, this freak accident might lead to another treatment option.

Rheumatoid Arthritis: The Infection Connection has a short paragraph on bee venom -- I've attached a PDF.

Attachments

• PoehlmannBeeVenom.pdf
    530.4 KB · Views: 12
Interesting, Shijing, thanks. Now I find myself wondering whether those with adrenal fatigue might be especially vulnerable to Lyme Disease...

Back
Top Bottom