Thinking of getting a dog

Hindsight Man

Jedi Master
I'm thinking of getting a rescue dog as I've wanted one for many years,but looking at the world,i'm worried.I have the means to care for it and was wondering if any of you guys have recently gotten pets/are about to get pets and how you deal with an uncertain future of said ownership?

The way I see it is that even if something happens in the future that makes it hard for you to care for a dog, the dog is probably still better off with you than in a shelter.

I'd say go for it :)

If you want to take care of a dog and want to be adopted by a dog, I think it is a good idea, for you, for the dog. To decide to have a dog it's a very important decision, with pros and contras. A dog is another member of the family, 100%, till his death. I am sure you know all this but it is important to remember it. Yesterday I was thinking about my dogs: thanks to them I am in good shape, physically, I am alert, walk a lot, take air. The pros to have a dog are infinite, dogs are teachers of many many things, they are really, really amazing. But you have the other side of the money, you can not travel as you wanted, you sometimes have difficulty finding an apartment that accept dogs, things that for me are less important then the benefits to have a dog: a good friend, a good company and a teacher.

Go for it .... :) ... :thup:

We got a dog from shelter 2 years ago, and it changed our home completely ... the sense of better life we have now is just tremendous, it is hard to say that in words, but there is 4 kids and me, and idea of getting dog was just horrifying for me as we live in apartment and with kids all the obligations around pets end up on parents, but dog is so smart that he adjusted to our way of living and he is so lovable little clever creature, knowing each of us personaly so well, where communication and love is obtained without any words needed ... in this harsh times having dog is even more rewarding, so that you can go through experience together, what is richer and better and more confident and more expandnig in this world of narrow thinking relaity .... :love:

Its a very big responsibility to look after a dog, so think hard and long about which decision to make. I agree with everything that loreta said about this. I have also been considering taking in a dog, however one thing that has been on my mind is the recent changes in animal behaviour and what the Cs have said regarding attachments latching on to pets which may potentially increase the chaances of picking up attachments yourself, although I can't remember exactly which session this was. This may not actually be a problem and I could just be being overcautious however.

Be sure to research the particular breed and whether you'll be able to provide for its physical and emotional needs. Some dogs need more exercise and attention than others. Some breeds do better in family units or may do better with other dogs around. Having the time and the motivation to train the dog is something that needs to be taken in consideration as well.

We have 2 dogs and to me it has never felt restricting. The truth is in our situation we have support (friends) that enables us to go away without them. truly I can speak from the heart I have never regretted bringing them into our family but there are pros and cons as has been mentioned,.

We adopted a child last year and I'm certain the dogs have helped our boy settle in the house. The world at the moment is a harsh place. Your adopted friend is better with you so don't not go for it for that reason. The benefits far outweigh the negatives providing you are prepared to give it the time it deserves.

Pick a breed that fits in with the time you can spend walking it if that makes sense.

After having many dogs, the best advice I have heard is "if you can't stand to loose 'em, don't get 'em".

Hopefully you will outlive several generations of dogs so you do not want to become overly attached.

All my dogs have been rescues, one of the family, never physically punished, and always 2 or more at the same time so that they have a playmate when left alone. It becomes very easy to value the dogs wishes over the rights of other people. Takes disciplined and balanced thinking to always put people first.

You have the means to care for it, if you also have the knowledge of what to expect over it's full lifetime and how to deal with it, you will probably look back on having the dog as one of your lifetimes greatest joys. and a great source of lessons.

Adopting a dog would be a great benefit to not only the dogs life, but yours. Caring for an animal is extremely externally considerate as they don't pay you back as such. So it's all for the sake of the dogs well being - but we get a hell of a lot of back for simply caring.

A good idea, as was suggested, is to really look at the breed. Find out its characteristics and some background as to the type of animal it is or supposed to be. And treat it accordingly, i.e if it's a big runner - your going to have to be a big runner ;).

Would be a very interesting adventure to research and apply a dogs optimal diet to give it the best and healthiest life possibly.

But yes, as long as you have correct finance and have the time to dedicate to this, then go for it :D. Everyone could do with another friend when the world is going as it is, and it is better in good care than in a shelter!

Good look :)

Thanks for the responses guys.I've been thinking of getting a dog for a long time now and had a look at several breeds,their characteristics etc.I'm looking into their diet now and seeing as I'll be getting a shelter dog I'm sure that the people working there would be able to give me some extra tips on the particular dog itself.The reason I posted here is because I knew there'd be things I haven't thought of that someone else might bring up,but I'm glad that the response has been in the positive. :)

yep ... hopefully you found your dog and you will enjoy company together ... :)

Hi Hindsight Man. Most of my furry friends have been rescue dogs. I never regretted having any of them for companions. They have brought so much joy to our home over the years, even when they became senior doggies. I would say GO for it if you have the time and means to invest in a furry friend. As far as food goes, I don't know if dogs from the shelter are fed a raw meat diet (most feed them kibble), so if you do go that route, you may want to transition slowly from kibble to cooked meat to raw. We found the raw meat diet the healthiest diet for our dogs. Here's some info on the raw diet for dogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDtliKYQ0IM

Just a note, some shelters allow a test period to see if dog/human are compatible. I think it's a good idea that you are researching what type of dog would be best for you. Sometimes when you leave that part of the equation open, it becomes clear and maybe even unexpected that the "right" doggie will "speak to you' and you'll just know it's the right one, but that is only my experience.

Good luck! N2F

NewMexicoArt said:
After having many dogs, the best advice I have heard is "if you can't stand to loose 'em, don't get 'em".

Hopefully you will outlive several generations of dogs so you do not want to become overly attached.

I dunno... If you become attached to your pets, isn't that a good thing for both parties?

What if you really love your pet a lot, and that benefits the furry critter in some way? To me, that's worth my sadness when the fuzzball shuffles off this mortal coil.

Scottie said:
NewMexicoArt said:

I dunno... If you become attached to your pets, isn't that a good thing for both parties?

What if you really love your pet a lot, and that benefits the furry critter in some way? To me, that's worth my sadness when the fuzzball shuffles off this mortal coil.

yep agree with Scottie ... why worry how you will feel when your dog pass away, even before you get one? fIf you can make your dog live happy and fulfilled life, that is all what is needed for happines of both. Unfortunately they do live quite short, but taking dog from a shelter and seeing him getting happier each day, it is just a simple joy of life. We did that, in all bussy place and schedule we all have, our dog seams to be understandable and not putting any pressure on us, but in contrary kindenes we give to him seams to get back as he is giving a lot non verbal and tactile love that it is just beautiful to be around togeather, for the dog and for all of us. What amaized me is how much our dog actualy reflect us, he is the best :) lazy mediteranian looking for cosy place and play.

Scottie said:
NewMexicoArt said:

Well said Scottie.

Back
Top Bottom