Finnish war history discussion

Seppo Ilmarinen

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
I'm starting this topic in order discuss and understand better Finnish Winter War and Continuation War during WWII, and the factors which contributed into militarization and anti-Russian attitudes during the earlier decades. Perhaps other Finnish members (or anyone else) have some interesting thoughts to share. What's interesting in Finnish war history -being born and raised in this country-, is the way how our social identity is build and based on certain narratives, which excludes a lot of unpleasant historical facts (well, nothing exceptional here).

Finland looks it's WWII history from very narrow angle. This view relies heavily on Winter War, because it was started by Russia (probably in order to secure Leningrad area) through shelling of Mainila, which was Soviet's false flag operation. But Winter War lasted only about three months. Average Finn doesn't seem to understand that we fought de facto as Nazi-Germany's ally, part of Operation Barbarossa during the Continuation War (which lasted over three years!). And this military collaboration had strong ideological roots based on 1918 Civil War, which stayed present through the decades before WWII.

There was strong pro-Germany connection among Finnish military personnels. C.G Mannerheim visited Germany (hosted by Göring) during 1930's and according to prime minister T.M Kivimäki, Göring had promised already at 1935 to Mannerheim Germany's help in war with Russia. Other political, military and cultural figures made trips to germany and vice versa. There was strong pro-Germany attitudes in the cultural and political elite. These factors undermined Finnish goverment's (some) attempts for more non-aligned policy with other Nordic countries and made us look more aggressive nation.

After the WWII our war history was build on the "driftwood theory", where Finland was seen as passively moving towards fighting alongside with Germany. War history was heavily canonized, where all the darker aspects were swept away from public debate. Although modern historians have revised and debunked this theory, the collective 'group-mind' of our society seems to be heavily depending on blaming Russia for the wars, osit.

Which brings me to the 'Greater Finland' ideology. Greater Finland was based on the thought that eastern territorial regions belonged to Finland by linguistic and ethnic heritage. This expansionistic idea had it's roots in late 19th century karelianism, where Karelian heritage was admired by cultural spheres of Finland (though not many of them visited Karelia themselves, and those who did, found out they were often quite Russian). Most ambitious visions saw Finland expanding in east all the way to Ural Mountains. After the civil war and so called 'Heimosodat' (Kinship Wars) during 1918-22, many nationalistic 'Greater Finland' organizations were created to push forward this agenda, such as AKS (Academic Karelia Society) and IKL (Patriotic People's Movement). Many members were politicians, academics, business men or military personnels.

AKS founder (and member of other fascist groups) and priest Elias Simojoki said at 1938 AKS meeting: "Almost all AKS member hold officer mandate in their pockets. This combat organization's first and most important mission is the militarization of Finnish youth. No victim can be large enough for this goal". AKS had also clandestine inside group called 'Vihan Veljet' (Brothers of Hate), whose main agenda was to spread racist hatred ("russkie-hate") and propaganda in Finland. It was led by Elmo Kaila, chairman of AKS, editor-in-chief and political background figure.

Mannerheim made references to Greater Finland ideology in two of his 'order of the day' declarations, 1918 and 1941. Greater-Finland supporter and foreign minister Eljas Erkko might have undermined the exchange of area negotiations with Soviet Union before Winter War. Future president Paasikivi called Winter War as "Erkko's War", that he was "primarily responsible of the horrible situation where our country now is".

The voluntary military organization White Guard, which had over 100 000 members during 20-30's, was also spreading this attitude. It was openly anti-Russian and was inseparable part of Finnish culture during that time. The White Guard protection corps included also cultural activity such as sports, theater and dancing. Every municipal area had own local protection corps house for these activities. They served as a vehicle to spread nationalism and the "whites" ideology through all the levels of society.

During the time between 1918-1939 Finland served also as an important base for different anti-bolshevik opposition groups and underground paramilitary organizations (mostly by Russian emigrants) to commit terror attacks in Soviet territory, with help of domestic and foreign intelligence agencies. Assassination attempts and bomb-strikes were used among other methods to create counter-revolutionary atmosphere. This went on with varying activity until the Winter War.

These are just few examples, but they give heavy cognitive dissonance for most Finns. Especially today, because according to our mainsteam media, the Russians are coming again.

Thanks Seppo Ilmarinen for this posting above, and then the research that led to the creation of the recent article for sott. Thanks also to Aragorn for your research and additions to it, and to Hiker for checking it and making some changes. I understand that you guys got a few good books on the subject and dug into it quite well and it culminated in a "lesson from history" oriented article on Finnish Sott. Jefferson and I translated it into English and it was just posted on sott.net a few days ago, after some changes (I think made by Joe).

For those interested, the article in English:
http://www.sott.net/article/309085-Untold-history-of-Finland-Fascist-origins-Russophobia-and-todays-anti-Muslim-hysteria

Article in Finnish:
http://fi.sott.net/article/317-Sotiemme-vaietut-salaisuudet-Mita-voimme-oppia-historiasta-jotta-emme-toistaisi-sita

The title was changed a bit for the English audience. The Finnish title emphasized what we can learn from history, to the Finns it is a warning to not be taken in by extreme right wing thinking again which led to wars that possibly could have been avoided.

This is a subject that is quite inflammable to Finns, because it would be difficult to consider that a story they have been taught to make themselves feel better about the wars is not quite accurate.

I think this lesson is important for non-Finns as well, and I would expect that it should especially appeal to anyone who is interested in history.

When I first came to Finland as an exchange student when I was twenty years old, I did some reading in English about the Winter War and the Continuation War. I also heard the basic story that everyone shared - about the purely innocent Finns attacked by the greedy expansionist Soviet Union during World War II. However I was troubled by the connection that I saw with Nazi Germany that everyone seemed to skirt around.

After Mikael obtained the book Suur-Suomi Saaste during last year, I was introduced to some key concepts, although I did not quite grasp everything that was presented in the Finnish language. Now that I have spent some time carefully reading this article to translate it into English, I have a much better understanding of what you have uncovered.

Do you have any stats on the views on the Finnish article? I see there had been only just over 40 likes on it, and that was some time ago since it was published around October 12th, and no comments directly to the Finnish article, nor to the Finnish Facebook page. Somehow I would have expected some strong reactions and people would have commented. However there has been some activity in the comments section on the English version.

Also, I was wondering, from your studies, do you think there is any other things that should be written on the subject?

Breton said:
Do you have any stats on the views on the Finnish article? I see there had been only just over 40 likes on it, and that was some time ago since it was published around October 12th, and no comments directly to the Finnish article, nor to the Finnish Facebook page. Somehow I would have expected some strong reactions and people would have commented. However there has been some activity in the comments section on the English version.

Also, I was wondering, from your studies, do you think there is any other things that should be written on the subject?

The Finnish article hasn't spread much, it has only 300 views. I'm sure there would be a lot to write about this topic, from civil war atrocities to cold war events. One thing i've been trying to research is operation Gladio in Finland, but there's not too much information outside Daniele Ganser's book NATO's secret armies. Yesterday there was interesting article in HS about secret military organization called 'Hermannit'. They had shades of gladio-like-activites, but this group was under Finnish military supervise. They did mobilization drills against Soviet Union throughout the cold war, which were illegal at the time. They were apparently also used for some degree in intel operations by spying left wing groups. The name 'Hermannit' came from Finnish colonel Toivo Herman Luukko, who was one of the organizers of this group. Luukko had been arrested for involvement in weapons cache operation 1944 (which was the first US and British established 'stay behind' network in Finland according to Ganser).

_http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/a1451707393736

My grandfather (he was German) was based as engineer with the Luftfahrzeugtruppe (German Air Force) in Finnland for a while. I strongly assume that Nazi-Germany did not station personnel in another country very fast and they would have to stay for a while at least. They lived in their own barracks. I do not know too much more details about his stay in Finnland. My father told me that the Germans had to replace personnel regularly because they had difficulties there with the darkness. The Finns back then were friendly to the Finnland based Germans back then.

The narrative of the German "normal" people after WW2 was that they did not know about the evil deeds of the Nazis, they did not know what happened in the concentration camps and they just followed orders. But my father told me that back then people said do not speak too freely or you will come to Dachau (concentration camp near Munich). So I assume something was known back then but people choose to ignore a lot. We Germans cannot avoid our Nazi past but we also tried.

I learned about Nazi-Germany at school and especially the part with the concentration camps shocked me very much. What I see is that the narrative of the history of Nazi-Germany is still changing. For example the Reichskristallnacht (Reich cristal night, night of broken glasses, Kristallnacht) is now named Reichspogromnacht (Reich pogrom night). This new name came after the fall of the wall and the German reunification 1989/1990. Another example is Dresden. In my schoolbook from the seventies there were still 40,000 to most probably 90,000 dead persons. In Wikipedia today the number is between 22,700 and 25,000 persons. In German Sott there is an article from 1963, which says it were 135,000 dead people. It seems that the highest numbers were between 500,000 and one million causalities for allied air raids in Dresden February 1945.

The most interesting part for me in your Sott article was the last part, where one may see the evil in the system but choose to do nothing. Thank you very much for the article and the shock it gave me. I can see that the next round in this game already started - also in Germany. So we Germans did not learn from our history and also have to repeat it.

I've been thinking a lot about a point that was made by Pohlebkin (Russina historian, specialized in Scandinavian countries) in his book that I mentioned. He describes quite thoroughly the birth and evolution of this russophobia in the northern countries, and what stood out for me was (parahprased):

The hatred and phobia towards Russia and everything Russian was instigated in the 16th century (could have been 17th century, can't remember right now) on purpose by the elite class and academics in Sweden. The reason for this was to silence and eradicate any uprisings or rebellious activities by the working/lower class. The hatred towards Russia bamboozled and diverted the people who had any thoughts of equality and justice. When everyone was afraid of Russia, they "needed" the authorities to "save" them.

This is of course nothing new, but it was interesting to read how this was going on even back then. I think that the reasons for the anti-Russia campaign that has been going on for centuries are not only geopolitical, there's also an emotional component: Russian values and traditions are felt – perhaps subconsciously - as a threat to the egotistical ruling psychopaths and those with a pure materialistic world view. Well, I'm not sure psychopaths have a subconscious, perhaps animal instinct would be a more correct term ;)

And, according to Pohlebkin, much of the Russia-bashing had also to do with money and trades. Finnish oligarchs and business men had made ties with Western representatives/companies, thus they wanted to destroy the successful and large scale trade that was conducted between Finland and Russia. So, they made all they could to destroy these relations, and the best thing to do was to start a war.

All this can be seen happening in Finland today. The Finnish elite and media representatives have gladly made a deal with the devil, the West, and the future looks pretty grim!

Aragorn said:
All this can be seen happening in Finland today. The Finnish elite and media representatives have gladly made a deal with the devil, the West, and the future looks pretty grim!
Couldn't agree more. By the way, what do You think of the latest history series "Pimeä historia" by Teemu Keskisarja? (__http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2015/12/09/pimea-historia)

Since last summer, I've made notes about good "alternative" literature on Finnish war history. I did this mainly because I wanted to have a list with me when making spontaneous visits to bookstores. I'm sure there are a lot more good books and sources, so perhaps we could make a comprehensive list together?

Here's what I've collected so far (there are some that are perhaps not war-related, and some that are not books, but still interesting):

#V. V. Pohlebkin: Suomi vihollisena ja ystävänä

#Antti Tuuri: Suuri asejuna Pietarista

#Leo Martti Nieminen: Suur-Suomi saasta

#Lasse Laaksonen: Mistä sotakenraalit tulivat

#Martti Ahti: Salaliiton ääriviivat

#Eino Jutikkala: Finnlands Lebensraum (harvinainen)

#Jalmari Jaakkola: Suomen idänkysymys

#Olavi Paavolainen: Risti ja hakaristi / Kolmannen valtakunnan vieraana / Synkkä yksinpuhelu (3 different books)

#Eero Taivalsaari: Unohdettu viisaus

#Heikki Luostarinen: Perivihollinen

#Antti Kuosmanen: Suomen tie EU:n jäseneksi (EU:sta)

#Sakari Pälsi: Voittajien jalanjäljissä (propaganda; an example of pathological thinking?)

#Juri Kilin(2007):Talvisota Neuvostoliittolaisessa kirjallisuudessa. Teoksessa:Sodan totuudet; Markku Jokisipilä

#Filosofian tohtori Mervi Kaarnisen teos Punaorvot 1918

#Juha Potterin väitöskirja ”Sankarihautaus Vapaussodassa”

#Jouko Vantola: Suomi suureksi – Viena vapaaksi

#Helsingin yliopiston sosiologian prof essori Risto Alapuron kirjoitus Helsingin Sanomien Vieraskynässä: Miksi sivistyneistö myötäili natsismia? (Helsingin Sanomat 24.10.1998).

#Eino Murtorinteen teosta Risti hakaristin varjossa (Vaasa 1972)

#Jyrki Vesikansa: Sinivalkoiseen Suomeen (Uuden Suomen ja sen edeltäjien historia 1 – 1847-1939)

#TV1 näytti maanantaina 7.9.1999 klo 20 toimittaja Olli Ainolan tekemän puhu ttelevan dokumentin suomalaisesta kirkollisesta ”kypäräpappi”-traditiosta: ”Isä, poika ja paha henki. Osa I - Suomen kirkkoisät Hitlerin pyhäkoulussa ”.

#Jörn Donnerin TV-dokumenttisarja Mannerheimista

#Sari Näre & Jenni Kirves: Luvattu maa - Suur-Suomen unelma ja unohdus
#Sari Näre & Jenni Kirves, toim.: Ruma sota – Talvi- ja jatkosodan vaiettu historia

#Markku Jokisipilä & Janne Könönen: Kolmannen valtakunnan vieraat - Suomi Hitlerin Saksan vaikutuspiirissä

#Heikki Ylikangas: Tulkintani talvisodasta

#Jari Leskinen: Veljien valtiosalaisuus - Suomen ja Viron salainen sotilaallinen yhteistyö Neuvostoliiton hyökkäyksen varalle vuosina 1918-1940

#Björn Forsén & Annette Forsén: Saksan ja Suomen salainen sukellusveneyhteistyö

#Osmo Hyytiä: Suomi ja Hitlerin Saksa 1933-1945

#Ville Kivimäki: Murtuneet mielet - Taistelu suomalaissotilaiden hermoista

#Matti Klinge: Vihan veljet ja kansallinen identiteetti

#Markku Kuisma: Sodasta syntynyt - Itsenäisen Suomen synty Sarajevon laukauksista Tarton rauhaan 1914-1920

#Aapo Ruselius: Isänmaallinen kevät - Vapaussotanyytin alkulähteillä

#Juha Siltala: Sisällissodan psykohistoria

#Juhani Suomi: Mannerheim - Viimeinen kortti?

#Tuomas Tepora: Sinun puolestasi elää ja kuolla - Suomen liput, nationalismi ja veriuhri 1917-1945

#Timo Vihavainen: Ryssä iha - Venäjän-pelon historia

I'm almost through reading "Nato hampaankolossa" by Raimo Pesonen, and I warmly recommend reading it. The author has some criticism towards Russia in the book, e.g. how 'Russia annexed Crimea', but my impression is that he makes these inserts as a strategy of looking more "credible". 90% of the book is excellent stuff, including a good overview of Finnish war history etc.

Back
Top Bottom