Can dogs eat fish?

Regarding salmonella from raw food it looks like the majority of recorded cases of salmonella poisoning come from commercial pet foods, including the poisoning of owners who handled it ( at least according to Dr. Karen Becker)
Dogs and cats ( if on the right diet - because high carb content disrupts normal acidity and enzymatic activity in digestive system) are perfectly equipped to deal with most of the bacteria in the food. Cats will eat whole mice or birds and dogs are actually scavengers which means they will eat animals that were dead and rotting for days with no ill effect.

Dogsnaturally again:
Eggs contain salmonella – Dogs are well equipped to handle the bacteria in raw foods. The health of the hen is also important, so it is best to choose eggs from organic, free-range chickens. Proper storage and keeping the eggs cool will also go a long way toward keeping the harmful bacteria at a manageable level. Dogs are well equipped to handle the bacteria in raw foods. The health of the hen is also important, so it is best to choose eggs from organic, free-range chickens. Proper storage and keeping the eggs cool will also go a long way toward keeping the harmful bacteria at a manageable level.

Z said:
However moderation is the key since canned fish are usually rich in histamine. I'd say few times a week would be safe.

I did not know this. I was feeding the sardines to Lena because of the good oils and calcium. But she has been plagued with itchy skin and fur loss since she was a puppy. I have gotten it much better by using homeopathy. But she's still itchy. So I think I will take her off the sardines for a while and see if that helps.

I can say that there are fish/seafood only dry food products on the market for dogs, and there are apparently more to be released because the company i work for had big bags of dry dog seafood they were concocting campaigns for, so there's at least a market there and one would assume they've passed tests... Whether this is the best food for them, i would refer to the other commenters.

Added: in that short documentary 'wolves change a park' (something like) - don't wolves eat salmon? I'm just guessing here...

Z said:
Possibility of Being said:
Don Genaro said:
Thanks for that Z. I'll switch to fish oil for them. While we're on the subject, I give them a raw egg a few days a week with their food. I guess that's okay?

Nope. It can also lead to Vit B deficiency. From the same source as above (peteducation):

Raw eggs
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

That's raw egg whites causing the problem as far as I know.
Indeed egg whites contain avidin, a Biotin (one of the B vitamins) inhibitor. However this effect would be accomplished only if you feed very high amounts of egg whites and no yolks, so left over white from fatbombs will have to be cooked ;)

This is from dogsnaturally website:

"Biotin deficiencies are quite rare and it would take an extraordinary amount of egg whites to create a deficiency. Moreover, egg yolks are very high in biotin, so as long as you feed the entire egg, there are few worries. There are other sources of biotin in the diet as well. Liver is a particularly good source. Once again, cooking the egg white will eliminate the risk but your dog will lose much of the nutritional value. If feeding your dog eggs on a regular basis, simply make sure he gets the whole egg, not just the white."

I'd say up to 4-5 whole raw eggs a week is pretty safe, including shells - if the eggs are organic

Okay, thanks again. 4 - 5 eggs is what I usually give them!

SevenFeathers said:
Z said:
However moderation is the key since canned fish are usually rich in histamine. I'd say few times a week would be safe.

I did not know this. I was feeding the sardines to Lena because of the good oils and calcium. But she has been plagued with itchy skin and fur loss since she was a puppy. I have gotten it much better by using homeopathy. But she's still itchy. So I think I will take her off the sardines for a while and see if that helps.

Well, not giving sardines to Lena didn't make any difference in her itchiness, so she's getting them again.

SevenFeathers said:
Well, not giving sardines to Lena didn't make any difference in her itchiness, so she's getting them again.

In order to eliminate sardines as a cause you would need to exclude them for at least 3 weeks. Having said that there are many causes for pruritus in dogs ( some dietary) and some not, this can be a complex issue and its best dealt with by a veterinarian preferably a holistic one.

J'ai deux Yorks qui sont régulièrement nourris avec de l'Almo Nature sardines, saumon, blanchailles, crevettes et quand je mange du poisson, des crevettes et gambas, ils partagent avec joie mon repas sans problème...

Yorks I have two that are regularly fed with Almo Nature sardines, salmon, whitebait, shrimp and when I eat fish, shrimps and prawns, they joyfully share my meal with no problem ...

Z said:
In order to eliminate sardines as a cause you would need to exclude them for at least 3 weeks. Having said that there are many causes for pruritus in dogs ( some dietary) and some not, this can be a complex issue and its best dealt with by a veterinarian preferably a holistic one.

Thanks, Z. She's been itchy since she was a puppy, possibly due her original owner giving her a vaccination too early. I took her to a "holistic" vet, who really was "fauxlistic" vet - he even gave her a steroid shot. Since then, I have just been through trial and error with homeopathy and an online consult with one other vet. She's better, but not cured. But she is full of energy and happy, so that's good.

Heureuse de lire de bonnes nouvelles... Faites lui des caresses pour moi... Elle est très belle sur la photo... Merci pour le partage...

Happy reading good news ... Make him hugs for me ... She is very beautiful on the photo ... Thanks for sharing ...

In the studies of wild wolf populations in Scandanavia and surrounding areas it was noted that, when it was available, the wolves actively chose wild salmon above deer - even when a freshly killed deer carcass was left for them. They also followed hunting bears to scavenge their leftover fish bodies (as when widely available bears tend to only eat the salmon head [the best quality fats and proteins] and leave the rest)

Back
Top Bottom