Terminator: Genisys

Divide by Zero

The Living Force
I was expecting it to be a bad one, like Mad Max was (ugh- can't unwatch that!).

It surprised me. The storyline is well thought out and the action wasn't overdone.

SPOILER ALERT

Kyle Reese being able to perceive a change in the timeline was interesting, picking up what his alternate reality self sees in that timeline- giving clues to the new strategy of skynet.

It was very interesting that this new alternate timeline now fits into ours... after all, we're on the verge of sentient AI!

There's also an interesting thought of AI being "more human" (Arnold's Terminator character), but John Connor turning less human after being "infected" with the AI.

Divide By Zero said:
There's also an interesting thought of AI being "more human" (Arnold's Terminator character), but John Connor turning less human after being "infected" with the AI.

That's the part that stood out particularly to me, after the recent research we've been doing about infection.

Shijing said:
Divide By Zero said:

That's the part that stood out particularly to me, after the recent research we've been doing about infection.

Agree also. John connor didn't even question himself, he just did as ordered.

Prometeo said:
Shijing said:
Divide By Zero said:

Agree also. John connor didn't even question himself, he just did as ordered.

I also thought that was interesting.

I've found the film was good. It respects the original film and sets off a new timeline.

Shijing said:
Divide By Zero said:

Yeah, i saw the movie and thought it was good too. Funny scene was seeing the younger Arnie taking on the older Arnie :)
Similar to Shijing, i thought this part stood out as well - "infection" by a malevolent AI.

Coincidentally i just completed as well watching the the Terminator TV Series called the Sarah Connor chronicles - and in the series there are implications; that in the future Skynet either has infiltrated John Connor's inner team; and there also AI's/Terminators working against Skynet but not alligned with him. Wonder why they discontinued the series in 2009 after 2 seasons, as it was gaining in popularity. I think the Terminator movies and tv series really get you thinking about timeline manipulation, and the paradoxes that it involves....and it seems like the Terminators are the "enforcers" of 4D STS (Skynet)...

I saw this as well.

I felt it was rather less than polished; the special effects and action sequences were over the top in a way which weren't very believable, and I felt no real connection with the characters. It was a bit goofy, a far cry from the extremely tight writing and logic of the second film.

However.., the thing I liked about this most recent addition to the Terminator series was the way it portrayed "time" as an ever-changing plane of reality, which from what I gather is the natural state of things for higher density beings. It might be worth getting used to looking at reality through that sort of lens; flexing the brain muscle in such a manner.

Mr.Cyan said:
Coincidentally i just completed as well watching the the Terminator TV Series called the Sarah Connor chronicles - and in the series there are implications; that in the future Skynet either has infiltrated John Connor's inner team; and there also AI's/Terminators working against Skynet but not alligned with him. Wonder why they discontinued the series in 2009 after 2 seasons, as it was gaining in popularity. I think the Terminator movies and tv series really get you thinking about timeline manipulation, and the paradoxes that it involves....and it seems like the Terminators are the "enforcers" of 4D STS (Skynet)...
Not sure about that popularity, but I'd have to see the numbers. It was on primetime, on one of the majors, if I remember correctly and I thought the numbers were going down not up. Add to this was a common problem most scifi series have, mainly a lack of direction. They get to a certain point and get lost and don't know where to go with the plotline. The female Terminator was learning ballet/dance and the other male was seemingly going independent even under the ever watchful eye of a previous Terminator, that female CEO... the whole series got 'lost' IMO... but it was getting interesting as well, but the basic action plotline was getting lost in this 'ghost in the machine' effect and the writing lost their traction. I remember a similar thing happening to Fringe... whoever their 'advisor' was seemed to come and go and the writing showed this issue, as when he/she wasn't around, the storyline focused just on the relationships and not the situation of dimensional interaction.

But in the Sarah Conner chronicles, there was that collection of episodes with the young female Terminator in the library and the past timeline connection.... This whole series seemed to imply that 'ghost in the machine' or 'rise of the machines' storyline as Sarah, son and their team seemed lost in this developing situation... and at this point, I think the ratings turned down and didn't recover enough to compensate for the rather expensive to produce series... thus it was cancelled.

I didn't mind this film. I thought the time travelling story elements added a refreshing angle for this film as it wasn't explored as much in the previous ones. I agree that the action was way over done. The issue i had, was that when i watched this film. There where a heap of kids maybe 12 sitting in the audience right behind me. For the people who watched it, I was distressed enough by the opening destruction scenes. I can't imagine seeing something that realistic at that age. I guess they probably looked at it as entertainment. I couldn't shake the distress off for the rest of the movie. Although I was reading about comets impacting earth that same day so it probably wasn't a good fit with the destruction portrayed in the movie. Arnie still holds up though!!

wand3rer said:
I didn't mind this film. I thought the time travelling story elements added a refreshing angle for this film as it wasn't explored as much in the previous ones. I agree that the action was way over done. The issue i had, was that when i watched this film. There where a heap of kids maybe 12 sitting in the audience right behind me. For the people who watched it, I was distressed enough by the opening destruction scenes. I can't imagine seeing something that realistic at that age. I guess they probably looked at it as entertainment. I couldn't shake the distress off for the rest of the movie. Although I was reading about comets impacting earth that same day so it probably wasn't a good fit with the destruction portrayed in the movie. Arnie still holds up though!!

The film was rather boring to me. I've read way too many sci-fi novels with intricate scientific details.

My son picked out the plot holes in the time loopiness in a heart beat.

He also thought the "friendly' machine thing was hollywood schtick for Arny.

As an aside, I remember when I saw the first terminator movie, time, place, all of it. My second cousin snuck me in to see it (I was underaged). There was maybe 5 or
6 other people there. Prime time, too.

It was 1984.

:P

Besides the fact that they ruined the saga for me, at some point I was like "wait, how could this be possible?", the basic premise, that of sentient machines being inherently psychopathic, still holds water, if we go back to what the C's have said about machines and humans.

*spoiler*

And now that you mention the "infection" of a the leader, the one with the responsibility to lead humanity ahead and fight against the machines is quite interesting, there is some analysis at hand that could be drawn. The Connors being the ones with a special role get infected and John becomes psychopathic, the only way Skynet could have gone away with its dominion plans, after the rest of its tactics failed, namely, time traveling and direct warfare.

Saw it, didn't like it, one dimensional story line. The only redeeming quality about the movie is they managed to make it into somewhat of a comedy.

Back
Top Bottom