Scared of thunder

FWIW most dogs react similar as to thunder to gunshots, fireworks and any loud bangs or sudden noises. I am more inclined to think that they very quickly learn to associate higher levels of ozone with the upcoming thunder noise. Dogs are masters of association.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions the coats must be worth a try. My border collie star does pick up storm before we even hear anything so the ozone theory could be accurate. I will check out the links when I get chance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188
Thebull, that is a beautiful dog, and the picture made me pause for a while remembering my border collies. My first dog and several since were border collies. the only real problem was that they often seemed smarter than me.

I think that Z had some very good ideas for helping with the fear of thunder:

Z said:
here are some tips on this page

http://www.vetmalta.com/zoran-daily-pet/132-firework-season-is-upon-us-how-to-help-a-dog-with-noise-phobia
i had good results when a dog was stressed with giving them a gentle dog massage. Seemed to take their mind off their fear.

The border collie is a working dog, and is happier if they have a routine job to do. Good luck with a wonderful breed.

My two dogs are very afraid of thunder. Colette is afraid and she is so big that when thunder is there she becomes hysterical, opens doors also and goes under the bed. Blaky is old, and a little deaf so before the thunder is here he seems to feel that it is coming. He smells the air and try to tell me that something is in the air. ;) It is very rare when thunder is coming, here in the island tempests are so rare... But when you have one, my dogs react very strongly. I give them Rescue Remedy.

Here you can see my kids: Colette and Blaky

Attachments

• col.jpg
    col.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 139
  • blackie.jpg
    blackie.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 122
NewMexicoArt said:
Thebull, that is a beautiful dog, and the picture made me pause for a while remembering my border collies. My first dog and several since were border collies. the only real problem was that they often seemed smarter than me.

I think that Z had some very good ideas for helping with the fear of thunder:

Z said:
here are some tips on this page

http://www.vetmalta.com/zoran-daily-pet/132-firework-season-is-upon-us-how-to-help-a-dog-with-noise-phobia
i had good results when a dog was stressed with giving them a gentle dog massage. Seemed to take their mind off their fear.

The border collie is a working dog, and is happier if they have a routine job to do. Good luck with a wonderful breed.
Star is a wonderful dog a gentle, loyal companion and also very bright. She' turns 7 in October. Lots of good advice here and I'll be ready now to help her when we get the next storms. Lorenta I liked the pics of your kids ;D

The thundercoats arrived in the mail yesterday and we have a storm forecast for Monday... so, I guess we'll be reporting back after that!

Laura said:
The thundercoats arrived in the mail yesterday and we have a storm forecast for Monday... so, I guess we'll be reporting back after that!

I hope you have good results. You've probably already read up on them, but I'll just reiterate to put them on when there isn't a storm for short time periods so they get used to it. I think Roxie thought she had done something wrong and was in trouble the first time we put it on her. She sulked the whole time, poor girl.

Laura said:
Let's hope they work for your pooches looking forward to hear about the results.

1.Desensitization or helping the dog so that it expose what he was uncomfortable step by step.

There CDi with the sound of thunder that can be home to let the dog (there are the same and with various various other sounds). This process is ongoing and should be moved in minimum increments Dog should be calm and support, you have to have by your food and toy dog and pour confidence, you have to be too cool, to cool the dog could be in this situation with you.
It is actually about a dog trying to get used to the sound of thunder (firecrackers) and so that the sounds recorded on the tape and we put them in the beginning of a very, very quietly, over time, little by little to adjust the volume. Some dogs will help the described method, some will not, primarily because the audiotape can not emulate the flash of lightning or changes in air pressure caused by rainy weather. By the time you notice the fear (and it is sometimes even before you hear thunder) best to try to muffle outside noises that it will close the windows.

2.COUNTER CONDITIONING or method of any discomfort associated with the reward (food or toy, some dogs cuddling).
This form of dog owners are used to the New Year. An hour before midnight, throughout the apartment are toys ... when you start shooting firecrackers, is separated by time and for your pet as it would not scared of sounds bursting firecrackers.

Fearful_dog_behavior.jpg

Merci pour tous vos partages sur la peur de l'orage de nos animaux... Merci aussi pour les photos...
De mes 5 Yorks qui ont partagé ou partage ma vie, seule ma petite Lili allait se mettre dans la salle de bains, les autres n'ont pas plus peur que moi, quand le coup de tonnerre est très fort, je sursaute, ils lèvent leur tête et me regarde, j'éclate de rire et leur dit que tout va bien et ils reposent leurs têtes ou chacun vaque à ses occupations...

Thanks for all your shares on the fear of the storm of our animals ... Thank you also for the photos ...
My 5 Yorks who have shared or share my life, only my little Lili was going to the bathroom, the others have no more afraid than I am, when the thunder is very strong, I jump, they raise their head and looks at me, I burst out laughing and told them that all is well and they rest their heads where everyone goes about his business ...

Well, the storm was pretty terrible as you can see from my report in the weather thread.

The thunder coat worked like a charm! Amazing!!! Cherie was so relaxed she was snoozing!

Good to know, I was always wondering how effective these coats are. Thanks for the report.

Laura said:
Well, the storm was pretty terrible as you can see from my report in the weather thread.

The thunder coat worked like a charm! Amazing!!! Cherie was so relaxed she was snoozing!

:clap:
dog%20smiley7.gif

Laura said:

Great news, got mine on order.

That's awesome Laura! Thanks for the info, I'll have to get one of those coats on order. Also very sorry to see all the damage that storm caused. :( It looks like you guys really got hammered out there.

Back
Top Bottom