I'm not racist, but...

kujo

Jedi
natalie-nourigat.png

This made me chuckle. The dreaded, "but..."

:) indeed the dreaded "but". I recall being in the leadership & communication seminar where one of the speakers cautioned against using the word "but" in conversations - because (according to the speaker) the moment you mention "but" it would mean "please delete/ignore all previous sentences mentioned - and this is what I really mean"...

That goes along with the other pre-qualifiers, such as: with all due respect; I don't mean to offend you, but; to be perfectly honest; I hate to do this, but; etc. These type phrases ought to set off b.s. detectors.

Bar Kochba said:
That goes along with the other pre-qualifiers, such as: with all due respect; I don't mean to offend you, but; to be perfectly honest; I hate to do this, but; etc. These type phrases ought to set off b.s. detectors.
Word!

Bar Kochba said:

There's also, "Having said that..."

https://youtu.be/Pgd2w0SQEYI

Katie Jo said:
natalie-nourigat.png

This made me chuckle. The dreaded, "but..."

Makes me think . . . .

At the moment we have a group of defined "BUT"-People in Austria - something I learned during one of my last train rides. Starting with the same words . . . . Used by people who realise what is going on. They see that the refugee problem is a scenario that was initialized by the western and US governments to destabilize Europe. And if you say so in Austria you are called a racist, fascist or a conspiracy theorist. And thats why they start their sentences with exactly the same phrase ...

BTW: I learned that saying "but" killes some 4000 braincells. or so - cant remember exactly . . . ;)

naorma said:
Makes me think . . . .

At the moment we have a group of defined "BUT"-People in Austria - something I learned during one of my last train rides. Starting with the same words . . . . Used by people who realise what is going on. They see that the refugee problem is a scenario that was initialized by the western and US governments to destabilize Europe. And if you say so in Austria you are called a racist, fascist or a conspiracy theorist. And thats why they start their sentences with exactly the same phrase ...

BTW: I learned that saying "but" killes some 4000 braincells. or so - cant remember exactly . . . ;)

Interesting 180 on the "but segue."

Mr.Cyan said:
:) indeed the dreaded "but". I recall being in the leadership & communication seminar where one of the speakers cautioned against using the word "but" in conversations - because (according to the speaker) the moment you mention "but" it would mean "please delete/ignore all previous sentences mentioned - and this is what I really mean"...

I was thinking about the "but" problem for a while. Something I learned during the last years is that language makes sense. Therefore today I was looking for the meaning of "But": In German it says (I googled):

>>1. verwendet, um einen Gegensatz zwischen der Aussage des Hauptsatzes und der des Nebensatzes auszudrücken. "Die Kinder schlafen, aber die Mutter ist noch wach."<<
Used to express a contradiction between the meaning of the main clause and the subordinate clause. "Children are sleeping but mother is still awake."

I was thinking if I could find more examples: "I dont agree with your opinion - but I will always fight for your right to say it". "I get along with my neighbour very well - but I cant stand her strange religiousness."

So in my opinion this "damned but" is used to express both sides of a situation, something that in fact is really important. And the forbidding of that word comes along with the general reglementation and distinction of language. The use of abbreviations goes in the same direction. Their target is to reduce the power of words and therefore language. And if you loose your language you will loose much of your ability to think and will become an easy to manipulate person.

>>2. verwendet, um eine Behauptung einzuschränken. "Die Portionen sind knapp, aber sehr sättigend."<<
Used to restrict a statement: "Servings are short but filling." Same: Both sides are expressed.

Just something to think . . . . I have also visited those seminars where but is forbidden and I think the real meaning is: Dont contradict! If something in your brain is saying something different than ignore it . . .

I cringe when I hear all this about use of but. A psychopath in my life is very fond of cutting of any conversation when her hears but used. He then goes on with an intrusive, angry psychoanalytic questioning of his subject on what their problem with speaking their mind clearly is all about. This applies to strangers at coffee shops and grocery stores as well as to family members. Amazing thing to me is that people engage with him at these times.

I've always questioned why humans tend to use this discourse "[positive/negative constatation]-[but]-[add contradictive constatation]", is like a dissonance between ourselves. We deny or confirm something, we add the "but", then we do contrary to our past constatation. I remember an article which said this was a sign of dishonesty along other forms.

Maybe its the result of having two brains, the reptilian like brain and the thinking brain, and the disparity between the two.

And the possibility that it might simply be the case that the thinking brain is simply never engaged, just reptilian rationalisations, and learned behaviours... that might give rise to what could be called the ‘but’ brain mentality.

I’m tempted to say ‘but’ and BS flag myself... too late.

I was wondering about the concern over the word "but" until I realized that in those situations represented by Katie Jo's cartoon, the "but" seems meant to serve as a misdirection from the fact that a racist comment was exactly what the girl was about to make.

But I don't want to throw the but out with the bathwater. In some lines of work involving conflict resolution, the word "but" serves as an explicit bridge to get over a complainer's monologue and into a solution. Example: "Sir, I understand what you're saying and if I were you, I'd feel the same way, but here's the thing...I was called in to investigate an altercation and to do my job right, I have to give him a chance to tell his story just like you did; now, I'll ask you again, please be quiet!"

So context is key...but y'all knew that... :)

Buddy said:
I was wondering about the concern over the word "but" until I realized that in those situations represented by Katie Jo's cartoon, the "but" seems meant to serve as a misdirection from the fact that a racist comment was exactly what the girl was about to make.

But I don't want to throw the but out with the bathwater. In some lines of work involving conflict resolution, the word "but" serves as an explicit bridge to get over a complainer's monologue and into a solution. Example: "Sir, I understand what you're saying and if I were you, I'd feel the same way, but here's the thing...I was called in to investigate an altercation and to do my job right, I have to give him a chance to tell his story just like you did; now, I'll ask you again, please be quiet!"

So context is key...but y'all knew that... :)

Excellent post, Buddy. That sums this topic up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom