Is having cold shower wishful thinking?

This question came to my mind more than once recently :halo:

I am sometimes experiencing strong headaches when I get up, and, in the days of bravery, I will have a cold shower to take this pain away.

But I was thinking about the sequence :

I have a headache > I have a cold shower "in order to alleviate the pain"

Is this wishful thinking ?

Is it a "confusion/lie-generating" program that I have, and makes me think it is wishful thinking?

Thank you

Not quite sure I understand you correctly, know_yourself, but if the cold shower helps to alleviate the headaches you have in the mornings, then that's a tangible result. Thus no wishful thinking there.

On another note, do you know the source of those headaches? Could they be diet-related, that you're eating something you don't tolerate? What's your diet like?

I think that you should try couple of times and experienced for yourself:

http://www.sott.net/article/286591-7-Reasons-to-take-Cold-showers-and-1-that-Really-matters

http://www.sott.net/article/243899-Why-A-Cold-Shower-Is-More-Beneficial-Than-a-Warm-One

Also, I think that is much important question why do you have a headaches.

What is your diet?

How you sleep? Do you sleep on the pillow or without?

Do you exercise or meditate?

Do you spend some time in walking trough nature?

know_yourself said:
This question came to my mind more than once recently :halo:

I am sometimes experiencing strong headaches when I get up, and, in the days of bravery, I will have a cold shower to take this pain away.

But I was thinking about the sequence :

I have a headache > I have a cold shower "in order to alleviate the pain"

Is this wishful thinking ?

Is it a "confusion/lie-generating" program that I have, and makes me think it is wishful thinking?

Thank you

Wishful thinking or not, several members have noticed that cold water does alleviate headache. We discovered this benefit without suspecting it beforehand so there was no anticipation, wishful thinking and the like.

A caveat in my case is that it only works for light / mild headaches.

Pierre said:
Wishful thinking or not, several members have noticed that cold water does alleviate headache. We discovered this benefit without suspecting it beforehand so there was no anticipation, wishful thinking and the like.

A caveat in my case is that it only works for light / mild headaches.

Ups :-[, then I apologize for recommending something that is proven that is not good. :headbash:

Not quite sure I understand you correctly, know_yourself, but if the cold shower helps to alleviate the headaches you have in the mornings, then that's a tangible result. Thus no wishful thinking there.

On another note, do you know the source of those headaches? Could they be diet-related, that you're eating something you don't tolerate? What's your diet like?

No I do not really. The headache pain is like a mini-fire burning on one side of the head.

I do some meditation before going to bed, and maybe they come from old big blockages that are broken and would take some more than one day to be "expelled"?

But every morning, everything is blocked starting from my belly button to down - I can't feel my legs (when I go to bed in the evening, I feel my legs). Every morning I get up with like a kind of big pressure, like if my body energy was only reaching the belly button, but would not be able to go down the feet. Have any experienced this?

I do not have specific diet, I am not veggie, and eat dairy and fats. But I eat bread and drink coffee.

I sleep on a couch-bed that I have to open : maybe I feel its "open/closed" skill and should sleep on a one-pieced bed?

Thank you for all your answers.

It does sound concerning if you don't feel your legs in the morning. Have you been to a doctor to have this checked out? I'd do so if I was in your place, to be on the safe side. And if you're still eating bread, maybe it's time to start eliminating grains/gluten from your diet?

know_yourself said:
I sleep on a couch-bed that I have to open : maybe I feel its "open/closed" skill and should sleep on a one-pieced bed?

Why don't you try putting the mattress on the floor and see if that makes a difference? Couch-beds can be really uncomfortable.

know_yourself said:
No I do not really. The headache pain is like a mini-fire burning on one side of the head.

But every morning, everything is blocked starting from my belly button to down - I can't feel my legs (when I go to bed in the evening, I feel my legs). Every morning I get up with like a kind of big pressure, like if my body energy was only reaching the belly button, but would not be able to go down the feet. Have any experienced this?

I do not have specific diet, I am not veggie, and eat dairy and fats. But I eat bread and drink coffee.

Aiming is right. It is quite alarming to hear that your legs are numb when you wake up and i can imagine it to be quite traumatic to wake up to in the morning. From what i can find online, it could be something to do with bad circulation to the lower part of your body. Some people got this when they used to many pillows, and reducing the elevation of the head solved it somewhat. So i would suggest making an appointment with your Dr, as it could be something alot more problematic. But for now, try and change your sleeping arrangement to something more comfortable.
Did you start experiencing this with any specific period of change in your life? Have you been sleeping on the couch-bed long, or is it a new sleeping arrangement? And did the headaches come at the same time as the numbness?

With the headaches in particular, it would be hard to specify what exactly is causing them. And in all honesty, it is probably an array of things. But if cold shower's work, then id say keep at it!
Seen as you are experiencing the headaches when you wake up in the morning aswell, it could have something to do with your quality of sleep in particular. Are you hydrating enough before bed time? Try having some salt water before bed and when you wake up.

Also it would be best to avoid caffeine about 6 hours before bed, if you are not already, to let your body wind down and relax.

As you do not have a specific diet, i would stress to begin looking into tailoring your diet. Simple things like cutting out gluten, dairy, processed and refined carbs and sugars would be a good start and a great benefit to your health.

Maybe you mean does the cold shower have a placebo effect. Wishful thinking is more along the lines of I am a good person so good things will happen. I work hard at work I am going to get a raise and so on.

Back
Top Bottom